SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

esquire Feb 9, 2021 5:57 PM

TSN 1290 in Winnipeg is gone. Local sportswriter Paul Friesen said that some of their staff reached out to him because they were wondering what was going on... apparently they haven't been told anything by Bell.

In hindsight this wasn't terribly surprising for 1290... they lost the rights to the Jets after last season (apparently a year early given that the contract was originally annouced as being for 10 years), and even though they had a pretty good local morning show and plenty of pre/post game coverage of the Bombers and Jets, it's probably tough to draw an audience when you don't have broadcasting rights for any of the home teams. I guess Bell was getting ready to make an exit.

I wonder if Corus will turn the lacklustre Peggy FM into a standalone sports station now? The Bombers, Jets, Moose and ICE are on CJOB right now... between that and all their sports shows, it's kind of crowding out the news/current affairs on that station.

Acajack Feb 9, 2021 6:10 PM

Does this mean they are shutting almost all of them down? There is a TSN 1200 station in Ottawa too.

Bell Media already did their chopping in the anglo media in Montreal last week. It seems like the TSN 690 station there survived though.

esquire Feb 9, 2021 6:12 PM

I think Hamilton, Winnipeg and Vancouver's TSN radios are gone now (did Van have two TSNs? Is one still left?).

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9185669)
I think Hamilton, Winnipeg and Vancouver's TSN radios are gone now (did Van have two TSNs? Is one still left?).

Vancouver did have 2 TSNs but the second one switched over to BNN a couple years ago.

Ignore the red faced guy

thurmas Feb 9, 2021 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9185669)

TSN 1290 in Winnipeg just got the ax now too. After they lost the Jets rights 3 months ago to CJOB their goose was cooked.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7629725/t...ys-bell-media/

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 6:26 PM

How did Edmonton and Ottawa survive and Vancouver no I wonder.

Andy6 Feb 9, 2021 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9185667)
Does this mean they are shutting almost all of them down? There is a TSN 1200 station in Ottawa too.

Bell Media already did their chopping in the anglo media in Montreal last week. It seems like the TSN 690 station there survived though.

Not the station. TSN 1290 will go back to being CFRW I guess. Presumably far lower overhead in a music format than one with a lot of local personalities. Winnipeg is a pretty small market for two sports stations. Still, it's a little like when the Winnipeg Tribune was closed without warning 40 years ago and suddenly half of the familiar figures in the media disappeared overnight and there was only one choice for everything.

thurmas Feb 9, 2021 6:34 PM

wish they got rid of the toronto one being on tv with o'dog noodles and that chubby guy they are so smug and annoying.

Hackslack Feb 9, 2021 6:38 PM

I wish the Fan 960 was TSN radio in Calgary. I can’t stand the blue jays games being broadcasted over the radio.

Acajack Feb 9, 2021 6:39 PM

The Ottawa TSN station basically has the English radio broadcast rights for all of the Ottawa teams, including the Senators and Redblacks which are the two major ones, plus the CPL team, the CHL 67's and the basketball team if it gets off the ground. So on pretty solid ground.

Another station has the Blue Jays rights in Ottawa, and of course there are French language rights for the Ottawa teams split up among a couple of stations.

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9185710)
wish they got rid of the toronto one being on tv with o'dog noodles and that chubby guy they are so smug and annoying.

Yup noodles ain't bad but...
Nothing Toronto specific should be broadcast across the country anyways.

LakeLocker Feb 9, 2021 7:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHockeyGuy

Shameless plug for Shannon TheHockeyGuy from Abbotsford.

But seriously sports networks are entirely pointless in 2021.

There's a million people on youtube putting up free content online.

Most of them suck but there's a good number of them that are quite talented.

I'm much rather drop my guy $20 bucks on Patreon than give money to bell or rogers.

I now stream my hockey from nhl.tv.

You can select your broadcast, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you can integrate your favorite youtubers commentary into the stream.

thurmas Feb 9, 2021 7:50 PM

I usually watch Rod Pedersen's show on youtube for CFL content daily out of Regina as Western Canadian sports broadcasting options has gone down the tubes this past decade. TSN CFL offseason content is so small and non existent which makes no sense to me as its their top 3 sports property that they spend over $40 million a year on but ces't la vie.

jonny24 Feb 9, 2021 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeLocker (Post 9185803)
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHockeyGuy

There's a million people on youtube putting up free content online.

Most of them suck but there's a good number of them that are quite talented.

I'm much rather drop my guy $20 bucks on Patreon than give money to bell or rogers.

So how will youtube give me live Ticats discussion the morning after the game on my way to work?

SHOFEAR Feb 9, 2021 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9185870)
So how will youtube give me live Ticats discussion the morning after the game on my way to work?

Yeah.

I listen to TSN 1260 during my commutes and while sitting in my office. I fail to see an alternative for me to get my sport fix. Even with TSN (or prior to that, TEAM 1260) never having broadcast rights for the Oilers or Eskimos i wouldn't switch the dial to the right holders.

jonny24 Feb 9, 2021 8:18 PM

This fucking blows. TSN Hamilton was awesome, covering tons of local stuff from Ticats down to junior B hockey. I was already pissed when they cut our local afternoon programming and piped in Toronto talk instead. This brutal for coverage of anything that isn't "mainstream" Big 4 leagues.

esquire Feb 9, 2021 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9185833)
I usually watch Rod Pedersen's show on youtube for CFL content daily out of Regina as Western Canadian sports broadcasting options has gone down the tubes this past decade. TSN CFL offseason content is so small and non existent which makes no sense to me as its their top 3 sports property that they spend over $40 million a year on but ces't la vie.

Losing TSN 1150 in Hamilton is bad for CFL coverage in Southern Ontario. I'm sure there were probably more than a few CFL fans in the GTA who listened to Hamilton's TSN because of their top notch coverage.

Oh well, no time like the present to hop on board the Rod Pedersen train!

Acajack Feb 9, 2021 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9185962)
Losing TSN 1150 in Hamilton is bad for CFL coverage in Southern Ontario. I'm sure there were probably more than a few CFL fans in the GTA who listened to Hamilton's TSN because of their top notch coverage.

Yes, I agree.

I am 100% sure a station will pick up the Ticats games at least but that's not the same as also having a sports station that talks about them on its daily programming.

LakeLocker Feb 9, 2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9185870)

Download the podcast version. Mind you the CFL is shit out of luck if its fans can't figure out the technology.

CFL has a radical amount of potential, the American potential for the CFL in this day and age is huge.

If you focus more on streaming etc, I'm sure you could crack into football fans wanting something different during the summer.

The CFL if serious could be exactly what the XFL was trying to be. A faster spring league alternate to the NFL.

I take it as a point of interest that Dwayne the Rock Johnson an exCFL player bought the XFL.

Any CFL fan should be wondering the Rock didn't have his own CFL team.

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 10:45 PM

Surely 5 million people in BC is a large enough market to start up an independent BC only sports station of some sort. No Toronto sports teams allowed.