SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

Acajack Jan 14, 2021 10:53 PM

TVA Sports reporting over 900,000 viewers for MTL-TOR last night.

thurmas Jan 14, 2021 11:47 PM

not suprising ratings raptors suck no other sports going on other than weekend NFL playoffs right now

JHikka Feb 5, 2021 8:57 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtLMRogX...jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1356371299275333634

Acajack Feb 5, 2021 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9160246)
not suprising ratings raptors suck no other sports going on other than weekend NFL playoffs right now

If you're responding to me, not sure Raptors ratings (even if they were winning like crazy) would eat much into NHL ratings in Quebec.

NFL does OK here and is probably the second-most watched stuff behind the Habs right now.

I'd bet even international combat sports get significantly better ratings than the Raptors here.

They got a bit of a blip here during their championship run but so far I haven't seen anything in terms of durable interest.

thurmas Feb 5, 2021 9:43 PM

I meant in general not to anyone specifically i haven't seen any raptors ratings for this year come out yet which usually means they are terrible if not being mentioned and the team is losing this year instead of the recent success and popularity bump they had.

Denscity Feb 5, 2021 11:56 PM

I blame Raptor's losing on Drake's lack of support compared to their championship year.
I just don't see him out there on the court jumping around anymore.

thurmas Feb 8, 2021 3:53 PM

Canadian sports fans are pissed after TSN breaks up Jay and Dan

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...sn-jay-and-dan

Sports fans are unhappy with Bell Media.

The Canadian media conglomerate let go more than 200 employees this past week, including sportscaster Dan O’Toole, co-host of the popular TSN highlights show SportsCentre with Jay and Dan.

O’Toole and longtime running mate Jay Onrait returned to Canada and TSN in 2017, after four years with Fox Sports 1 in the United States.

Other well-known TSN sportscasters included in the recent layoffs include longtime Ottawa reporter Brent Wallace, and SportsCentre anchor Natasha Staniszewski according to one report.

“We have made some changes at TSN as we streamline the organization,” a Bell Media spokesperson told Daily Hive. “The changes have affected some on-air personalities, who depart with our sincere thanks for their contributions to the network and the sports community.

Hackslack Feb 8, 2021 4:06 PM

They all should end up at Sportsnet. I feel like the personalities at Sportsnet are completely dry and amateurish. Hiring those let go by TSN would be in Sportsnets favour

thurmas Feb 8, 2021 4:23 PM

I will miss Jay and Dan and Natasha too TSN's young pup sportscentre announcers are so bland and annoying but I guess because they are dirt cheap Bell will stick with them.

Djeffery Feb 9, 2021 2:29 AM

Have heard speculation that Kayla Grey might join Jay, I think she has been a fill-in host before. I wonder if Dan being let go is in any way related to his weird tweet last year where wondered where his kid was and hoped she was ok. I never did hear a resolution of that, other than he made it sound like she was kidnapped, when really she was just with her mom. I know a lot of media people jumped on that and thought the worse, and Dan never came back out after and explained or apologized for confusing people.

I don't understand Bell sometimes though with these cuts (especially how they like to do them right after Lets Talk Day). They seem to do these as salary dumps. But here in London, their country station has a morning show host who has been there for 40 years and is in his mid-upper 60's. He has to have had serious salary creep over the years. The producer, who also acted like a third host in the morning, was funny as hell and very popular. He's in his 30's and always seemed like he was being groomed to take over the male part of the morning team. No, Bell turfs him last week, along with another young female host from their Virgin station. But keeps the old high paid guy. Where in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, it's gas all the high salaries. Weird.

JHikka Feb 9, 2021 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9185064)
I don't understand Bell sometimes though with these cuts (especially how they like to do them right after Lets Talk Day). They seem to do these as salary dumps.

It's 100% salary dumps. I get if you're worried about O'Toole but firing him on the week of Let's Talk is pretty inexcusable...but it makes sense if you consider it as a leadup to fiscal year-end reporting. Guys like Brent Wallace and Kristian Jack, probably on decent salaries, were great contributors and definitely weren't under the chopping block for any discernible reason other than finances. Natasha Staniszewski is another who was better than others they've left behind.

JHikka Feb 9, 2021 3:31 AM

Speaking of Bell cutting talent:

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/pr...tv-tsn-and-rds

SUPER BOWL LV Becomes Third-Biggest on Record, with 8.8 Million Viewers on CTV, TSN, and RDS

"TORONTO (February 8, 2021) – After a dominant performance led by the legendary Tom Brady, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ victory in SUPER BOWL LV is the third-most-watched SUPER BOWL ever in Canada, attracting an average audience of 8.8 million viewers on CTV, TSN, and RDS, according to preliminary data from Numeris. The game attracted significant engagement across the networks’ digital platforms, with SUPER BOWL live streaming on CTV, TSN, and RDS growing by 108% compared to last year.

17.6 million unique Canadian viewers, accounting for 47% of Canada’s population, tuned in to watch some part of the NFL’s iconic championship game. Audiences peaked at 11 million viewers at 8:38 p.m. ET during the Pepsi Super Bowl LV Halftime Show headlined by Canadian superstar The Weeknd.

SUPER BOWL LV ranks as Canada’s most-watched broadcast of the 2020/21 broadcast season. CTV and TSN were the first and second most-watched networks in Canada on Sunday."

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackslack (Post 9184447)
They all should end up at Sportsnet. I feel like the personalities at Sportsnet are completely dry and amateurish. Hiring those let go by TSN would be in Sportsnets favour

Ya lots of knobs on sportsnet like Tim and Sid etc.

Proof Sheet Feb 9, 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9185121)
Ya lots of knobs on sportsnet like Tim and Sid etc.

They are the worst. Sometimes I caught a few minutes of them post Champions League/World Cup qualifiers on Sportsnet when they had the rights. Childish banter would be giving them a compliment.

Isn't one of them leaving soon?

thurmas Feb 9, 2021 4:00 PM

Bell is classless in the way they let their talent go in salary dumps though they don't even give them 2 weeks notice so they can say goodbye on air. There is an article in the Winnipeg Free Press this week of how 25 year veteran lead anchor man on the CTV Winnipeg 6 o'clock news Gord Leclerc was summoned abruptly on a friday and told he would no longer be with the company immediately and walked him out the door like he stole something not even letting him say goodbye on air and within a week his mother died. Bell are so cutthroat its really tacky not sure who their HR manager is but its really dumb the way they do their salary dumps.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...573730242.html

Hackslack Feb 9, 2021 4:11 PM

Is it not common for how people are let go? I know in my industry when there are layoffs, they have a sit down, say you are being let go, without any reason given, they let you go back to your desk to grab personal belongings, then on your way, this goes for the 25 yr + employee too... pretty sure it’s for liability reasons, like why they wouldn’t the TSN/CTV folk have a week to say goodbye on air, cause damage could be done.

esquire Feb 9, 2021 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackslack (Post 9185482)
Is it not common for how people are let go? I know in my industry when there are layoffs, they have a sit down, say you are being let go, without any reason given, they let you go back to your desk to grab personal belongings, then on your way, this goes for the 25 yr + employee too... pretty sure it’s for liability reasons, like why they wouldn’t the TSN/CTV folk have a week to say goodbye on air, cause damage could be done.

Ha... you can imagine how giving O'Toole a platform for a week might go.

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 5:23 PM

TSN 1040 Vancouver just suddenly cut local programming and after a "stay tuned for an announcement regarding TSN 1040" went to CBS or Fox Sports radio programming!
Edit: big voice comes on again saying there will be an announcement at 930am regarding the future of TSN 1040.

Denscity Feb 9, 2021 5:34 PM

Phuk 1040 will no longer be a TSN affiliate!
Format will change and be announced on Friday.
Now they're playing Green Day "Hope you had the time of your life"! Lol.
So lame I've been listening several hours a day foe years!
And now The Wknd so perhaps another music station for Vancouver but one less sports station.
Sportsnet Vancouver radio like on TV is full of knobs won't listen to them.

thurmas Feb 9, 2021 5:38 PM

this is the reality covid has dealt as I beleive ESPN is a part owner of TSN with Bell and ESPN announced massive layoffs last month. No CFL and no curling this past year certainly hurts TSN's bottom line.