SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

suburbanite Sep 14, 2020 8:08 PM

Can the networks track/count you as a viewer via OTA?

If not the legality is basically a technicality as you're contributing no more to their bottom line than anyone streaming online.

elly63 Sep 14, 2020 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9041477)
Can the networks track/count you as a viewer via OTA?

How do you think it worked before the Internet?

JHikka Sep 14, 2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9040936)
I got a DAZN subscription though, no idea if those views would count towards any TV rating?

DAZN is not traditonal TV so figures are not captured in TV ratings. DAZN viewership figures and known to DAZN and DAZN only.

It's difficult enough finding streaming figures for our TV partners here in Canada let alone for international providers.

elly63 Sep 14, 2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 9041075)
I've looked into that before but didn't get very far - any recommendations?

The Antenna Man's latest video with some good information about antennae, how they work and what names to avoid and what names to trust.

suburbanite Sep 14, 2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9041480)
How do you think it worked before the Internet?

Doesn't really matter how they use to. I assume cable boxes make up the vast majority if not all of their sample size now. My question is if they're still accurately tracking people OTA.

thurmas Sep 14, 2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9041095)
Imagine thinking the intertwining of social justice causes and sports is happening "so much now" as if it hasn't always been there. Sports have always been political. If you're just noticing it now, you haven't been paying attention.

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/...ietname_01.jpg

Haha that was 55 years ago man and those guys still played and stood for the anthem

isaidso Sep 15, 2020 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9041771)
Haha that was 55 years ago man and those guys still played and stood for the anthem

Stupidity is doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result. ;)

thurmas Sep 15, 2020 1:14 AM

And this just came out the NFL ratings for Sunday Night Football last night debuting a brand new $5 billion stadium in LA and featuring America's team the Dallas Cowboys saw ratings plunge 28% WOW! Imagine how bad the ratings will be without the Cowboys playing. Will be interesting to see what the Canadian ratings will be probably up due to no CFL. Middle America is fed up with the woke social justice victimhood mentality of the BLM movement in sports and is shunning the NFL and NBA in droves.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/09/nfl-r...e-ratings-hit/

JHikka Sep 15, 2020 2:05 AM

This thread isn't about American ratings so i'll keep it short:

Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps NBA and NFL ratings are both down because they're going head-to-head not only between each other but also with other sports during critical periods in their seasons?

"Thursday’s Texans-Chiefs NFL Kickoff Game averaged an 11.2 rating and 20.54 million viewers on NBC, down 13% in ratings and 7% in viewership from Packers-Bears last year (12.8, 22.03M) but flat and up 8% respectively from Falcons-Eagles in 2018 (11.2, 18.98M).

Due to the upheaval in the sporting calendar this year, the Kickoff Game faced unusual competition from an NBA playoff game involving LeBron James and from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It also faced a Serena Williams US Open semifinal, albeit for the third straight year (and fourth of the past five). Those events combined for 4.83 million viewers (2.50 for the NBA, 1.55 for tennis and 790,000 for the NHL)."

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/202...n-competition/

thurmas Sep 15, 2020 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9041904)
This thread isn't about American ratings so i'll keep it short:

Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps NBA and NFL ratings are both down because they're going head-to-head not only between each other but also with other sports during critical periods in their seasons?

"Thursday’s Texans-Chiefs NFL Kickoff Game averaged an 11.2 rating and 20.54 million viewers on NBC, down 13% in ratings and 7% in viewership from Packers-Bears last year (12.8, 22.03M) but flat and up 8% respectively from Falcons-Eagles in 2018 (11.2, 18.98M).

Due to the upheaval in the sporting calendar this year, the Kickoff Game faced unusual competition from an NBA playoff game involving LeBron James and from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It also faced a Serena Williams US Open semifinal, albeit for the third straight year (and fourth of the past five). Those events combined for 4.83 million viewers (2.50 for the NBA, 1.55 for tennis and 790,000 for the NHL)."

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/202...n-competition/

PGA, UFC and Boxing ratings are either up or flat and MLB and NHL ratings are steady compared to pre pandemic. NFL had the same issue 3-4 years ago during the first Kaepernick BLM kneeling during the anthem issue the NFL saw significant ratings drop they rebounded after it faded from memory and wasn't done as much in 2018 and 2019 now it has been kicked up again 10 fold and you see the ratings collapse especially with more people home and less entertainment options due to the pandemic. If there are almost 8 million less people watching SNF on NBC last night with the freaking Cowboys and LA rams in primetime you are putting your head in the sand ignoring that the social justice stuff and politics being jammed down fans throats day after day is turning a large portion of these leagues fan bases off.

Berklon Sep 15, 2020 2:37 AM

I guess the NBA and NFL will be folding soon.

thurmas Sep 15, 2020 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9041925)

Yup XFL 3.0 bought by the Rock will take over.

elly63 Sep 15, 2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9041925)

That's crazy talk, they are getting record breaking ratings now.

suburbanite Sep 15, 2020 1:25 PM

I love how the conclusion after the single most disruptive year for sports since World War 2 is that it must be the 2-minute pre game social justice routine that is responsible!

The NBA has been and will continue to take market share from the other two incumbents. The fastest growing league is also probably the most progressive. Who would've thought that not pandering to an aging cohort is a pretty good growth strategy?

Biff Sep 15, 2020 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9041932)
Yup XFL 3.0 bought by the Rock will take over.

Everything the Rock touches is gold but I think unfortunately he will fail on this one. I just don't think Americans will accept the lesser XFL league. They haven't before and won't in the future. The NFL and NCAA will continue to be the only leagues in the US.

yveseluj Sep 15, 2020 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9041771)

He was literally arrested and stripped of his titles. Not standing for the anthem is peanuts compared to that. I also don't think less viewership now is any indication of long term trends when we're in the middle of an economic catastrophe and millions of people are having to make decisions on how & where to spend their money.

elly63 Sep 15, 2020 2:56 PM

The NBA’s TV Ratings Are Going Down. Why?
Carl Caminetti InsideHook August 25, 2020
Ethan Strauss of The Athletic recently shared his thoughts on the matter with Slate

Last week in a piece on The Athletic, Ethan Strauss reported that the ratings for network NBA broadcasts have declined by 45 percent since 2011–12, with games on TNT down about 40 percent and games on ESPN down about 20 percent. While there were some expectations ratings would increase for the NBA’s bubble games with sports fans starved for content, that apparently has not been the case.

While there are likely multiple factors which are contributing to the continued drop — cord-cutting, fans watching on illegal streams, the rise of Netflix and other sources of entertainment — one of the reasons the NBA’s ratings are down could be the league’s ties to China and the stance that its players, coaches and broadcasters have taken on social justice issues.

Acajack Sep 15, 2020 3:57 PM

Knowing how some Americans are, it's not outside the realm of possibility that some of them might become a bit more cool to certain pro sports leagues if there is a perception that those leagues' patriotic loyalty to the country is faltering.

suburbanite Sep 15, 2020 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9042407)
Knowing how some Americans are, it's not outside the realm of possibility that some of them might become a bit more cool to certain pro sports leagues if there is a perception that those leagues' patriotic loyalty to the country is faltering.

It no doubt happens in isolated instances, but the wider trends show the bigger picture of where the growth lies, and it's not with the anti-Kaepernick demographic.

esquire Sep 15, 2020 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9042407)

100% true. When you consider that there are probably tens of millions of hardcore Trump fans, it's not out of the realm of possibility that some might get turned off pro sports in sufficient numbers to affect ratings.