SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Don B. May 31, 2011 2:32 PM

Off to Vegas this weekend. Will try to get some cool pics. :)

--don

Vicelord John May 31, 2011 3:38 PM

Off to Chandler. Won't post pics.

Buckeye Native 001 May 31, 2011 3:59 PM

Based on some of Critical Mass' exploits in San Francisco, it sounds like they're to the biking community what PETA is to the animal rights movement.

I'm all for alternate means of transportation, but don't go about it with a self-righteous, militant attitude.

Also, we've got a Canadian (Ayreonaut) who posts in the Midwest forum, but is in Phoenix this week without a car and looking for things to do (he's out in Litchfield Park). I suggested, if he could swing it, to ride the light rail and check out Downtown Phoenix and Mill Avenue, as well as the Heard Museum and, if possible, visiting Papago Park, South Mountain and the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Since I'm stuck up on the mountain, I can't be much more use than that.

PhxDowntowner May 31, 2011 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 5298488)
Based on some of Critical Mass' exploits in San Francisco, it sounds like they're to the biking community what PETA is to the animal rights movement.

I'm all for alternate means of transportation, but don't go about it with a self-righteous, militant attitude.

Then lucky for you, the Phoenix ride isn't the San Francisco ride :)

Vicelord John May 31, 2011 4:45 PM

What doesn't he post here looking for things to do? I'd be happy to help him out.

Buckeye Native 001 May 31, 2011 5:38 PM

I suggested he post here.

Ayreonaut Jun 1, 2011 1:07 AM

;)

Alright, here's my post. Buckeye basically spoke for me. I ended up being busy all day today, but it looks like I've got tomorrow afternoon (and probably all day Thursday) free and have no idea what to see or where to go (outside of what Buckeye already suggested).

My mom's got the rental, so she'll probably just drop me off downtown at some point, and I'll be on foot for the most part. I'm pretty much open to anything that is worth while. I'd be perfectly happy just wandering around taking pictures of random shit, but wasn't able to do that today (I was stuck in the NE corner of Scottsdale).

Thanks in advance for any tips. :cheers:

BTW, I leave Friday morning.

Vicelord John Jun 1, 2011 3:24 AM

Well if she drops you off downtown then you'll have heard museum, Phoenix art museum (free weds afternoons), desert botanical gardens, pueblo grande archeological site, Phoenix zoo, hiking at Papago park, mill ave/ASU, and the Wednesday evening farmers market all within walkig distance of a train station.

PhxDowntowner Jun 1, 2011 3:22 PM

or, you know, there's also actually stuff in downtown to do.

Buckeye Native 001 Jun 1, 2011 4:05 PM

I'd suggest making a quick visit inside the Burton Barr Library. I know its not everyone's favorite, but I dig it, even though that means jack shit.

Vicelord John Jun 1, 2011 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5299823)
or, you know, there's also actually stuff in downtown to do.

Like what? Get drunk?

PHX31 Jun 1, 2011 5:59 PM

I would do basically what Vicelord said. Walk around downtown a bit. Take some pictures, see some of the buildings, maybe eat lunch somewhere, then grab a day pass on the light rail and go to the Heard Museum. (only a couple stops north of downtown at the Encanto station). It's something that's nice and cool (it's kind of hot today) and is famously uniquely phoenix.

Unless you're with someone that could be your tour guide around downtown to show you the random stuff and the off-the-beaten-path cool places to hang out, you'll have a hard time going at it alone.

Assuming you get on light rail right downtown, along the way up to the Encanto station, the Van Buren station has the Civic Park which may have cool photo ops and a nice place to waste a half hour. The McDowell stop has the Burton Barr Library and the Phoenix Art Museum. Then you get to the Encanto Station and the Heard Museum.

If you're not much into museums... I think this would be a boring day for you alone. :tup:

Vicelord John Jun 1, 2011 6:12 PM

well he is 22... maybe he should just do some day time bar hopping between downtown and mill ave.

PhxDowntowner Jun 1, 2011 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5299920)
Like what? Get drunk?

:cheers:

wow, posts can be too short? that's the only reason i'm typing this line.

Phxguy Jun 4, 2011 11:59 AM

Well I must say Germany these past few days has been amazing urban and convinent to get around. I'm going to come back with many new ideas for urban planning and other things. The downtown and even the suburbs sure as hell beat the crap out of Phoenix, Chicago, LA, San Fran, and pretty much every American city.

Vicelord John Jun 4, 2011 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5303627)
Well I must say Germany these past few days has been amazing urban and convinent to get around. I'm going to come back with many new ideas for urban planning and other things. The downtown and even the suburbs sure as hell beat the crap out of Phoenix, Chicago, LA, San Fran, and pretty much every American city.

http://www.dailyhaggis.com/wp-conten...9/08/o_rly.jpg

lol glad you're having fun

HooverDam Jun 4, 2011 10:50 PM

Along the lines of the Phoenix Giants hat I posted earlier, Ebbets now is selling a 1958 Phoenix Giants jersey, on sale for $99 down from $185-ish. Its pretty slick, I'm getting one:

http://cdn.ebbets.com/images/uploads/PHX58H-550.gif

HX_Guy Jun 4, 2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Where in Germany? I freaking love Germany...was in Nurnberg last summer and going again this winter.

Phxguy Jun 4, 2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5304090)
Where in Germany? I freaking love Germany...was in Nurnberg last summer and going again this winter.

Currently in a suburb of Hamburg. Germany is so freakin amazing!

bwonger06 Jun 4, 2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Welcome to America. I was in China/Hong Kong the past two weeks and if they want something (high speed rail, skyscrappers, etc.) they get it done. America is boggled down in one big bureaucracy machine (especially Phoenix). Its next to impossible to get things done quickly and efficiently. Obviously we have a lot more political freedoms than China so I am no way suggesting we move towards a Chinese form of government.

That said, I sure will miss this:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1258/...f62a0711_b.jpg