SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Bertrice May 15, 2015 1:24 AM

Anthony's fish grotto going away?

http://rivista-cdn.sandiegomagazine.....3333333333333

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...303827631.html

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/Blog.../Up-for-Grabs/

spoonman May 15, 2015 2:23 AM

Anthony's is an institution. Would hate to see it go, even if it isn't the pinnacle of dining establishments in this city

Northparkwizard May 15, 2015 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7027884)
$2.3 million in security costs for the first year for The Waterfront Park. It requires 12 officers to keep the park secure. Seems a bit excessive and wasteful for 12 officers.
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/05/13/s...y-report-says/

Just doing simply math: 46 security guards could be paid a salary of $50,000/year at this price.

Well they have 2 officers at each entrance working the metal detectors. So that's 4 plus 2 more outside ... yeah, 12 seems excessive.

nezbn22 May 15, 2015 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7028613)
Well they have 2 officers at each entrance working the metal detectors. So that's 4 plus 2 more outside ... yeah, 12 seems excessive.

The dollar amount certainly seems high (I don't know the actual cost of employees...obviously costs are much higher than pure salary when you factor benefits), but remember that they're talking about 24-hour security. Therefore, the 12 officers might not all be on duty at once. Maybe it's divided into three 8-hour shifts? Maybe six officers during business hours (four inside and two outside) and three officers during the other two non-business hours shifts? When I look at it that way, the 12 officers amount doesn't seem that overboard...

Also, with regard to Anthony's - they have an impressive bid submitted to keep that spot. So don't rule out Anthony's staying. The Port is just opening it up to competition (never hurts) to make sure they find what's best for that space. Without competition, restaurants with prime real estate can get complacent with their product bc people will show up no matter how crappy the food/facility gets. Good to keep them hungry (no pun intended)...

SDCAL May 15, 2015 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7026906)
wow, hadn't considered that the folks proposing that suburban stadium down in l.a. were targeting the san diego football team, i thought it was the raiders and (i guess?) saint louis. anyway, san francisco recently lost the 49ers to san jose (santa clara technically, but it's san jose). for us here, that's about 50 miles away from sf. it looks like san diego to that weird ingleside proposal is well over 100 miles, big difference. with how san diego is improving out of the retirement community/military town era, it would be a shame to lose the team now, of all times in the town's history.

I'm glad to see people in the Bay Area are noticing sd is more than a military/retirement city :cheers:

With that said, I think we are doing a good job diversifying here, and I don't think losing the Chargers would hinder that. To be honest I'm more concerned with the potential loss of ComicCon. I think that brings more national AND international notoriety to sd ths the football team.

spoonman May 15, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7028724)
I'm glad to see people in the Bay Area are noticing sd is more than a military/retirement city :cheers:

With that said, I think we are doing a good job diversifying here, and I don't think losing the Chargers would hinder that. To be honest I'm more concerned with the potential loss of ComicCon. I think that brings more national AND international notoriety to sd ths the football team.

San Diego has a very diversified economy. The top industries are tech, tourism, defense and manufacturing, but like most cities, the numbers aren't very swayed in any particular direction.

I think the biggest problem SD has is the inability to market our city well. Our city is one of the largest and original biotech and craft brew hubs, yet we let others like Boston, SF, and others take credit for these things. All we seem to market is about shamu, the zoo, and families on the beach. Sure these things bring in money, but they perpetuate a stale stereotype and have little to do with life in San Diego. We wait so long to do things that by the time we do it, is feels like "me too".

Even Qualcomm just started a new campaign called "Why Wait". The campaign is about how Qualcomm is leading the development of the Internet of Things (IOT). Only problem is that Intel has the Sheldon Cooper commercials which came out first and are more recognizable (alothough less "smart"). Even though Qualcomm has been playing in this area for a long time, they look like second fiddle....maybe I'm overreacting...end of rant.

Filambata May 15, 2015 10:07 PM

World's Smart Cities: San Diego
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7028828)
San Diego has a very diversified economy. The top industries are tech, tourism, defense and manufacturing, but like most cities, the numbers aren't very swayed in any particular direction.

I think the biggest problem SD has is the inability to market our city well. Our city is one of the largest and original biotech and craft brew hubs, yet we let others like Boston, SF, and others take credit for these things. All we seem to market is about shamu, the zoo, and families on the beach. Sure these things bring in money, but they perpetuate a stale stereotype and have little to do with life in San Diego. We wait so long to do things that by the time we do it, is feels like "me too".

Even Qualcomm just started a new campaign called "Why Wait". The campaign is about how Qualcomm is leading the development of the Internet of Things (IOT). Only problem is that Intel has the Sheldon Cooper commercials which came out first and are more recognizable (alothough less "smart"). Even though Qualcomm has been playing in this area for a long time, they look like second fiddle....maybe I'm overreacting...end of rant.

I hope you guys get to view National Geographic Channel's documentary on San Diego!! Wonderful!

eburress May 16, 2015 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7028724)
I'm glad to see people in the Bay Area are noticing sd is more than a military/retirement city :cheers:

With that said, I think we are doing a good job diversifying here, and I don't think losing the Chargers would hinder that. To be honest I'm more concerned with the potential loss of ComicCon. I think that brings more national AND international notoriety to sd ths the football team.

That's not my perception at all. If anything, it appears San Diego is becoming more of a military/retirement/tourism community, not less. Look at what's happening here. Companies are leaving, the Chargers are leaving, ComiCon is potentially leaving. Diversification is not this city's trajectory.

The Flying Dutchman May 17, 2015 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7029747)
That's not my perception at all. If anything, it appears San Diego is becoming more of a military/retirement/tourism community, not less. Look at what's happening here. Companies are leaving, the Chargers are leaving, ComiCon is potentially leaving. Diversification is not this city's trajectory.

The Chargers won't be a loss employment-wise because they hardly provide any good jobs besides a few executive positions. The same could be said for the Conv. Center, however the C.C. manages to hold hundreds? of events a year, which brings in indirect tourism revenue the city ACTUALLY SEES. I really hope Comic Con stays for this reason, but it doesn't look good what with the city defaulting on lease payments to the Con. Center (FAIL).

I agree with your perceptions, however, that San Diego is becoming a city for the affluent just like most CA coastal cities. We just don't have the jobs to justify the high prices, unlike the Bay Area. Even then...

What I kinda hope for is some kind of close border/Baja trade economy that fosters tourism and lots of middle class jobs. Say what you want about Faulconer, but he knows his PR. Hence the National Geo release, his visits to Mexico recently, and his overall media blitz shtick. God help us all of Qualcomm goes out of business.

mello May 17, 2015 9:01 PM

Comic Con solutions: Padres are always out of town for that week so 1. Utilize Petco Park
2. Marriott will have a ton of new space coming online next year. 3. Huge lawn/Park next to CC and Hilton on bay put up modern tent space there. 4 South Embarcadero Park same thing futuristic tent space put up on that land. The square footage between these 4 spaces is pretty significant how much more space does Comic Con really need?

Speaking of space went hiking at the base of Otay Mountains last weekend behind Donovan Prison, there is still a lot of land down in that South Eastern Corner of Metro area all along the 905 and then north on the 125. Properly planned this area could easily house 500,000 people. I suggest you guys take the drive out there and take a look.

HurricaneHugo May 18, 2015 6:16 AM

Or an airport.

tyleraf May 18, 2015 7:56 PM

Here is the proposal for the new stadium. No vote is necessary. http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/ma...lan-announced/

Streamliner May 18, 2015 7:57 PM

Chargers Stadium Plan Announced

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...lan-announced/

Quote:

A new $1.1 billion Chargers stadium could be funded with an array of revenue sources including large contributions from the team, the NFL, taxpayers and fans attending games, according to a proposal released Monday.

The 42-page financing plan, created by Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s stadium task force, includes $200 million from the NFL, $300 million from the Chargers and another $300 million in rent payments from the team over the next 30 years — $10 million per year.

County and city taxpayers would contribute $120 million each, but no tax increases would be required because the money would come from each agency’s general fund over a 30-year period.

In addition, the city would sell 75 acres of the 166-acre Qualcomm Stadium to a developer for an estimated $225 million. But the plan doesn’t rely on any revenue from whatever project is eventually built on the land.

Bertrice May 18, 2015 8:31 PM

not the best design
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFT4cD3WYAADnf3.jpg

Northparkwizard May 18, 2015 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7031256)

Not bad, looks a lot like european stadiums do nowadays with the shade/rain over-hang for fans. Same Architect that was responsible for the design of Staples Center, Paul Brown Stadium, Safeco Field, Lincoln Financial Field, Miller Park, and Stadio della Roma.

ucsbgaucho May 18, 2015 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7031256)

I wouldn't put any stock in a design at this point, they haven't hired any major architects or design houses like HOK as far as I know. They're getting preliminary mockups at this point. Once everyone comes to an agreement on course of action, you'll start seeing realistic renderings.

eburress May 18, 2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 7031264)
Not bad, looks a lot like european stadiums do nowadays with the shade/rain over-hang for fans. Same Architect that was responsible for the design of Staples Center, Paul Brown Stadium, Safeco Field, Lincoln Financial Field, Miller Park, and Stadio della Roma.

Frankly, I don't really care what the stadium looks like as long as it actually gets built and the Chargers stay put in SD.

ucsbgaucho May 19, 2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 7031339)
I wouldn't put any stock in a design at this point, they haven't hired any major architects or design houses like HOK as far as I know. They're getting preliminary mockups at this point. Once everyone comes to an agreement on course of action, you'll start seeing realistic renderings.

I take my statement back about the design, I read the full report for the stadium and the renderings do seem to be more realistic than I thought! Not a bad look, though I wish they would consider a roof of some kind. The report says it was considered but would add approx $150 million to the construction cost.

It just doesn't look "unique" enough for my taste. They try to incorporate small things like the sails on boats and keeping views intact throughout the stadium, but they could do something iconic without breaking the bank. How about two HUGE sail-structures, almost like that "Wings of Freedom" idea for the bayfront, to hold up this canopy around the stadium? Or they could have incorporated the military aspect somehow, or the ocean. Can they at least replicate the "lightning tower" from the Carson proposal?

Derek May 19, 2015 12:54 AM

A stadium in San Diego doesn't need a roof and it would be foolish to have one that did.

HurricaneHugo May 19, 2015 1:05 AM

It needs a roof if it's to have indoor events and replace the aging Sports Arena

They have extra money don't they?

Put a roof!


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.