SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Nerv Nov 4, 2017 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7975615)
For the record, I think I'm the negative nancy of the group. I will not let eburress steal my crown. :cheers:

You are but you also comment about specifics, things you like, etc.

Not the same as trolling at all.

SDCAL Nov 4, 2017 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embora (Post 7968369)
Here's news about 7th & Market (Ritz Carlton-Whole Foods) from the SDUT. A judge ruled in favor of the city, but the party that sued said that "at this point" they plan on appealing. The article says that the judgement also affected a 20-story, 324 hotel a block a way, but I didn't see a name or exact location for that hotel.

So what does this mean? Can the project get started or do they have to wait for these jackasses to go through an appeal process, and how long would that take? I’m guessing at some point Ritz and WF will get tired of waiting and just walk away from this. It’s really frustrating this thing can’t get off the ground. The city has been flirting with project designs at this critical spot for well over a decade now and year after year after year it sits as a surface parking lot :shrug: I walked by the site the other day and the Claremont Hotel, which is supposed to be renovated and preserved in the project, let their shrubs die but hasn’t removed them so there are just brown dead bushes there. I also noticed some roaches. Lovely. I guess this group of NIMBYs who are suing thinks a parking lot with oil stains and a vermin infested building with dead trees out front is better than the mixed use project.

mello Nov 4, 2017 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7975852)
I guess this group of NIMBYs who are suing thinks a parking lot with oil stains and a vermin infested building with dead trees out front is better than the mixed use project.

What do you mean NIMBY's I thought this whole thing was a Union shakedown because this is a city owned parcel. They are using some bullshit NIMBY play book but this is just a union power play as far as I understand. I think the judge will move the appeal on quickly everyone can see this is just a total farce and it won't get held up for long. Let's be positive.

The Flying Dutchman Nov 4, 2017 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7975615)
For the record, I think I'm the negative nancy of the group. I will not let eburress steal my crown. :cheers:

Wait, I thought I was. :worship:

The Flying Dutchman Nov 4, 2017 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7975874)
What do you mean NIMBY's I thought this whole thing was a Union shakedown because this is a city owned parcel. They are using some bullshit NIMBY play book but this is just a union power play as far as I understand. I think the judge will move the appeal on quickly everyone can see this is just a total farce and it won't get held up for long. Let's be positive.

Correct, and this whole ordeal is just part of the 'negotiation' process. The judge's ruling is important since it sends signals to the union to back off, but they could appeal if they feel they have a case (which they seem like they do). The union is basically aiming to challenge the authority of Civic San Diego, the permit-granting agency of downtown. Take it from me folks, it's not gonna happen (meaning the 'Ritz' WILL be built, patience!).

mello Nov 4, 2017 10:20 PM

^^^ So how did they not do this with 12th and Market which was also a city owned parcel? Why don't they cave to the unions this delay must be costing them dearly having capital sitting around is never a good thing. I just hope a recession doesn't come soon and delay this thing and then they say "Oh we can't secure financing now".

NOTE: Still no official word that Manchester has gotten financing approved for Navy Broadway Complex. I spoke with Roger Showley at Union Trib and the commercial real estate guy for SD Biz Journal and they both said they haven't heard that is has gotten financing. Uh oh.... Seems like Papa Doug could call some Saudi Prince or Baller from Bahrain/UAE and they could kick in a cool bill :uhh:

HurricaneHugo Nov 5, 2017 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 7974780)
San Diego bay looks like a flaccid penis (^-^)

Hahah yes.

Coronado is the testicles, La Jolla is the breast.

staplesla Nov 5, 2017 7:11 PM

Amazon chooses San Diego for HQ2

Deleted

eburress Nov 6, 2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 7975532)
So what you’re regularly saying is San Diego is hopeless so why waste time dropping your negative bait for posters here?
It’s only a point of view if you consider yours is completely negative regardless of the topic which is totally one sided.

Your posting record is pretty clear and I’m not the only one who’s called you out for trolling.

Different points of view are welcome but what you’re posting isn’t that and you know it. You’re trolling and dropping bait for anyone who will take it.

Don’t you have better things to do?

One might ask you the very same thing. If you don't like my POV, just ignore my posts. Grow up.

HurricaneHugo Nov 7, 2017 7:09 AM

Councilman Alvarez suggests using ex-Charger Park as homeless housing.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...103-story.html

PadreHomer Nov 8, 2017 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7975874)

Its totally about unions

SDCAL Nov 9, 2017 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 7979538)
Its totally about unions

It’s about way more than that. Yes, unions were amongst the ones who filed the lawsuit (in addition to a NIMBY “planning group”), but the NIMBYs were watching it closely because, had they been successful, it could have thrown a wrench into the entire approval process. The suit claimed the city improperly delegated land use authority to Civic San Diego. If they had won (or if they do win on appeal) it would have had broad impact on the development process for city-owned parcels.

SDCAL Nov 9, 2017 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7976403)
^^^ So how did they not do this with 12th and Market which was also a city owned parcel? Why don't they cave to the unions this delay must be costing them dearly having capital sitting around is never a good thing. I just hope a recession doesn't come soon and delay this thing and then they say "Oh we can't secure financing now".

NOTE: Still no official word that Manchester has gotten financing approved for Navy Broadway Complex. I spoke with Roger Showley at Union Trib and the commercial real estate guy for SD Biz Journal and they both said they haven't heard that is has gotten financing. Uh oh.... Seems like Papa Doug could call some Saudi Prince or Baller from Bahrain/UAE and they could kick in a cool bill :uhh:

Is Machester or his company trying to get this thing built anymore? Why is it so hard to find backers for what’s the most valuable piece of waterfront property that’s undeveloped on the West Coast? Manchester is a political friend of Trump and was named ambassador to the Bahamas, so he’s not even residing here anymore and he’s apparently focused on Bahamian-U.S. relations. Hopefully his company is working on this. Would be a shame for it to sit as a half demolished site for years.

SDfan Nov 9, 2017 4:21 PM

Good morning. Pic of EV. Looks like the crane for Library Tower is up. Should be near or a hair taller than the Alexan project to the left.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...108_083449.jpg

S.DviaPhilly Nov 9, 2017 11:36 PM

330 13th (old Library Tower)

Construction starting to go above ground!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps6g7z8ayt.jpg

SDfan Nov 12, 2017 4:04 PM

From my sleuthing of the University City community planning group (CPG) meeting notes, they reviewed a proposal for a 300k sqft - 10 story office expansion by Illumnia.

Also saw that the MV CPG has been asking questions about Hazard Center's long term plans. The website for the project is up again, after being a dead link for some time. Anyone have any inside info?

http://thenewhazardcenter.com/index.html

eburress Nov 13, 2017 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7983716)
From my sleuthing of the University City community planning group (CPG) meeting notes, they reviewed a proposal for a 300k sqft - 10 story office expansion by Illumnia.

Also saw that the MV CPG has been asking questions about Hazard Center's long term plans. The website for the project is up again, after being a dead link for some time. Anyone have any inside info?

http://thenewhazardcenter.com/index.html

With its freeway and trolley access, not to mention central location, I've always thought Hazard Center would be a great spot for a denser, multi-purpose development. I don't recall what their plans were for it, but it'd be a great opportunity to take that suburban shopping center and make it something much more urban.

Nerv Nov 14, 2017 6:43 PM

With the amount of money involved for future condo tower, businesses, etc. this will be interesting to see what happens with the mounting pressure for addressing the homeless population issue and those who have made themselves “involved”with the issue.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...108-story.html

A few friends of mine living in DT having been telling me over the past year about the growing opposition to those who they feel have created our much larger homeless population. Father Joe seems to be front and center on that list these days.

JerellO Nov 15, 2017 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7984160)
With its freeway and trolley access, not to mention central location, I've always thought Hazard Center would be a great spot for a denser, multi-purpose development. I don't recall what their plans were for it, but it'd be a great opportunity to take that suburban shopping center and make it something much more urban.

Seriously, mission valley is like super car-oriented it’s nuts. Just 1 rail option isn’t enough, and not enough development for pedestrian and bike safety. It’s completely unattractive to walk.

SDfan Nov 15, 2017 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 7986365)
Seriously, mission valley is like super car-oriented it’s nuts. Just 1 rail option isn’t enough, and not enough development for pedestrian and bike safety. It’s completely unattractive to walk.

I know it's really bad. I was just there recently, and they have begun the massive upgrade of Friars at the 163. The improvements will make the area much more bike and pedestrian friendly. Once it's complete, from Civita to Fashion Valley, there will be a much more balanced transportation corridor.