SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Tempe_Duck Sep 23, 2009 7:04 AM

I am 24, ASU BIS Student, Business and Informatics, I am a 6th year senior. I changed my major about 5 or 6 times, I can't even remember anymore. I am currently working as an IT Director at a local telecommunications company. I live in the Clark Park area of Tempe and frequent Mill and Casey Moore's a lot. I love sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball.

Oh, I despise U of A and Tucson by extension. Go Devils.

nickkoto Sep 23, 2009 8:05 AM

I'm 35, live in NE Tempe (University/Price area), got laid off last year, and I had no interest in looking for a job in this market. So I'm currently attending ASU as an accounting major, enjoying it quite a bit.

combusean Sep 23, 2009 11:45 AM

Wow, everyone's coming out of the woodwork :)

admdavid Sep 23, 2009 7:42 PM

I'm 40, living in San Diego (Hillcrest neighborhood), born & raised in Mesa, graduated from ASU in History, working in software development. Huge D'backs and Suns fan! Also, supergeek (Star Wars/Star Trek fan, fantasy/fiction reader...can't wait for the next Wheel of Time book, D&D, etc.).

Keepin' tabs on my hometown, hoping it can turn into the world class city that it has the potential to become.

Vicelord John Sep 23, 2009 8:02 PM

Adamdavid, ever go to mama testa?

admdavid Sep 23, 2009 11:09 PM

Hell, yeah! That's some good food! Tons of good places to eat within walking distance of my place. Love San Diego! :)

Vicelord John Sep 23, 2009 11:22 PM

yeah, it's funny that the biggest thing I look forward to about going to San Diego is actually being able to find decent Mexican food... it makes ours look ridiculously bad. I'm taking my girl there on Monday and she has never been. We have a lot planned already but if you have any secrets you want to let me in on, I'm all ears.

And Mama Testa is amazing, been going there since it was new. Yucateca tacos and a ton of tomatillo salsa (seperately) FTW!

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 24, 2009 2:05 AM

I am 25 and a 5th generation Arizonan. I have my master's degree in education and teach high school government. I do not post much, but I am always reading.

This icebreaker always excite seniors. :sly:

combusean Sep 24, 2009 3:44 AM

Fifth generation! Wow. Is your last name on anything cool? ;) I'm almost a native at 24 years here, and it's quite rare that I've met anyone that's lived here longer.

what kind of software development do you do adm?

Vicelord John Sep 24, 2009 3:47 AM

I'm almost 25 and a native. I even have a phoenix bird/arizona flag tattooed on my calf

Tfom Sep 24, 2009 4:03 AM

I'm 31 and I teach middle school math, I live in Fairview. I like Photography too but I have done almost nothing that is urban... so sorry.

dencity Sep 24, 2009 4:26 AM

Dencity Intro

I’m 40…but I feel like I’m 20 something. I have enjoyed reading your blog very much. I moved here from Chicago first to go to U of A but then fell in love with Phoenix (who would think…93rd best place to live). Worked for a Landscape Architecture/Land Planning firm for a dozen years or so here then decided to go out on my own and start a cool, modern, hip, edgy and urban development firm called Urban Dencity. Came up with some cool plans, awesome business partners and some got great mid-town dirt right off the lightrail…then the roof caved in. Oh well…at least we didn’t start construction. If we did…I’d be living in my Moms garage in Michigan with my wife, two kids and two dogs.

Tempe_Duck Sep 24, 2009 4:40 AM

I have lived here since 1990, moved when I was 5. So I am almost a native.

vertex Sep 24, 2009 5:52 PM

Married, 43, living near DT Tempe, but may be moving near DT Chandler in a month (in escrow).

I knew there were a few Tempe folk here, but not this many. I may have even bumped into a few of you at Casey Moore's.

admdavid Sep 24, 2009 6:12 PM

My family has been in the PHX area since the late 1880's...let's see, I guess I'm fifth generation, too.

admdavid Sep 24, 2009 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4471156)
yeah, it's funny that the biggest thing I look forward to about going to San Diego is actually being able to find decent Mexican food... it makes ours look ridiculously bad. I'm taking my girl there on Monday and she has never been. We have a lot planned already but if you have any secrets you want to let me in on, I'm all ears.

And Mama Testa is amazing, been going there since it was new. Yucateca tacos and a ton of tomatillo salsa (seperately) FTW!

Just a few restaurants to consider...The Tractor Room (Hillcrest...amazing food, great cocktails), Cafe Chloe (French bistro Downtown), Mister A's (rooftop restaurant in Bankers Hill with views of Balboa Park, the bay, downtown), too many places in the Gaslamp to mention.

PHX31 Sep 24, 2009 6:32 PM

I'm 30, live in Coronado, and I'm a native. I went to ASU main, graduated in '03 with a civil engineering degree and currently work for a small engineering firm on the north end limits of the Willo neighborhood (work extremely close to where I was born... St. Joe's). I lived in the Maple-Ash neighborhood for a while when I went to ASU... in a renovated detatched garage about 3-4 blocks from Casey Moore's.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4471610)
Fifth generation! Wow. Is your last name on anything cool? ;) I'm almost a native at 24 years here, and it's quite rare that I've met anyone that's lived here longer.

what kind of software development do you do adm?

No, our last name is not on anything cool. Though we have some real neat stories that have been passed on about AZ past.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfom (Post 4471641)
I'm 31 and I teach middle school math, I live in Fairview. I like Photography too but I have done almost nothing that is urban... so sorry.

I taught middle school last year and don't mind it at all. That shocks a lot of people. Seniors are fairly easy, but many have already "checked" out.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admdavid (Post 4472512)
My family has been in the PHX area since the late 1880's...let's see, I guess I'm fifth generation, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if our forefathers crossed pathes at one point in history.