SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Martin Mtl Jun 4, 2018 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8209163)
I don't get the hate for YUL, .

Me neither. It's pure trolling.

Acajack Jun 4, 2018 2:03 PM

I wonder if JohnnyAussie is really a true Aussie.

There is something eerily Canadian about his posts and penchants...

Denscity Jun 4, 2018 4:11 PM

One person from Montreal goes into the other individual airport threads and downplays success among other things. So now people are wondering why there isn't a YUL specific thread for a bit of payback perhaps. Because there isn't one the payback happens here.

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8209084)
Just found this article discussing China Southern ditching Skyteam and joining One World. I wonder if there's any truth to it? It focuses a lot on the impact to Cathay Pacific since Guangzhou and Hong Kong are so close. Interestingly it mentions several of Cathay Pacific's ties to *Alliance members, and Air Canada did just enter into a codeshare agreement with Cathay after they split with WS. Would be a big shake-up for the alliances!

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...yteam-alliance

Oneworld needs a mainland Chinese carrier and they are desperately courting CZ.

If it happens, CX could move to Star Alliance. Makes sense. Question is, will it happen? This was being discussed 8 months ago. Still nothing. My guess is we'll see something develop around the time Daxing opens, or soon after. As that is when skyteam and oneworld will most likely move to the new airport. Ideally, all with be set when that happens, but the timeframe is tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8209303)
One person from Montreal goes into the other individual airport threads and downplays success among other things. So now people are wondering why there isn't a YUL specific thread for a bit of payback perhaps. Because there isn't one the payback happens here.

Where's the payback? All i've seen are blanks so far. And btw, I never downplayed success. I'm telling you where it's coming from (mostly China, in case you were wondering) ! Whereas Montreal's is coming from China, Japan, Israel, Africa, Europe, South America etc.......

Yes. From time to time, i do joke around, but to take that personally is silly, which clearly you have.

SkahHigh Jun 4, 2018 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le calmar (Post 8209163)
I don't get the hate for YUL, if it is getting good numbers that's good news. If numbers drop over the next few months that would suck, but sometimes it seems that a few people on here hope that it doesn't do well. I certainly hope YUL does well (partially because we in Ottawa depend on it quite a bit, but also because I like to see all Canadian airports do well).

Just SSP being SSP. Can’t talk too much about one city’s success because then the other cities become jealous.

We endured the Calgary fanboys for years and now that it’s more quiet on their front, we’re getting told that we’re too loud.

nname Jun 4, 2018 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8209371)
Where's the payback? All i've seen are blanks so far. And btw, I never downplayed success. I'm telling you where it's coming from (mostly China, in case you were wondering) ! Whereas Montreal's is coming from China, Japan, Israel, Africa, Europe, South America etc.......

Last time I check, Australia, India, and Mexico are not part of China :rolleyes:

Add Taiwan and Hong Kong depending on your political view.

And there's also increase from Japan, New Zealand, and Europe too... it's not just all China.

Zmonkey Jun 4, 2018 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 8208703)
What is interesting is the infield terminal is next to a public road and redoing some fences can be made into a building that is accessible to the general public. If the ground level can be configured with checkin counters and perhaps a small Canadian customs area it may make for a fairly attractive small standalone terminal. Say Terminal 2.

What it would be missing is ground transportation infrastructure and parking.

The infield terminal is connected underground to T3, so parking could be there done if need be.

Could just use it as a domestic base (isn't that what it is now) so you don't really have a need for CBSA. Air Transat and West jet both launch domestic routes out of there, pull some domestic Westjet from T3 and there you go.

It will feel disjointed, especially if you fly West Jet but the airport is filling fast and lacks room.

But with that, it is time for someone to launch more routes out of Waterloo to take some pressure off. Even if it is 2 daily to Ottawa and Montreal, and a daily to Vancouver.

LeftCoaster Jun 4, 2018 8:34 PM

Another strong month for YVR, Asia Pac continues to astound:

Domestic up 5.3%
International Incl. transborder up 10.1%
International excl transborder up 14.4%

---------

Total pax count up 7.7% and over 143,461 compared to April 2017.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 5.8%
Asia Pacific up 16.8%
Europe up 0.4%
Latin America up 21.5%

---------

Cargo up 16.6%


http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...site.pdf?la=en


Great month, you can see the slow in domestic/transborder with Easter being in March but wow, the Asia Pac numbers are just incredible! Not sure if Europe is an issue or just no capacity additions and stabilized loads. We'll see over the summer how the new capacity is taken up and get an idea of the health of the sector as a whole. YTD date up 9.0%.

zahav Jun 4, 2018 9:34 PM

Great numbers on Asia and Misc.! Europe is always weird, some months growth is high and then flat, I don't think it's a symptom of anything at any of the airports when it's lower. YVR, YYC, and YUL all had more subdued results in most sectors for the month, but overall results are good. International (on its own and also adding in transborder) is really gaining. But the split between international vs transborder vs domestic is still fairly even at YVR compared to YUL and YYC (although interestingly the transborder proportions are quite similar among all 3 airports, it's the strictly international that starts skewing things). Breakdowns by sector as follows for April:

Domestic
YVR - 48%
YYC - 67%
YUL - 36%

Transborder
YVR - 25%
YYC - 21%
YUL - 25%

International (non-transborder)
YVR - 27%
YYC - 12%
YUL - 39%

International (incl. transborder)
YVR - 52%
YYC - 33%
YUL - 64%

So for all three airports, the single highest domination of a sector is domestic at YYC (67%) followed by overall international (64%) at YUL. YVR is essentially half and half

Denscity Jun 4, 2018 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8209606)
Another strong month for YVR, Asia Pac continues to astound:

Domestic up 5.3%
International Incl. transborder up 10.1%
International excl transborder up 14.4%

---------

Total pax count up 7.7% and over 143,461 compared to April 2017.

---------

Int'l breakdown by sector:

Transborder up 5.8%
Asia Pacific up 16.8%
Europe up 0.4%
Latin America up 21.5%

---------

Cargo up 16.6%


http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...site.pdf?la=en


Great month, you can see the slow in domestic/transborder with Easter being in March but wow, the Asia Pac numbers are just incredible! Not sure if Europe is an issue or just no capacity additions and stabilized loads. We'll see over the summer how the new capacity is taken up and get an idea of the health of the sector as a whole. YTD date up 9.0%.

It'll be interesting to compare domestic/transborder numbers between airports when everybody's numbers are released. It already seems like some airports did better than others regarding Easter in an earlier month.

cyeg66 Jun 4, 2018 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8209194)
I wonder if JohnnyAussie is really a true Aussie.

There is something eerily Canadian about his posts and penchants...

I guess you haven’t been paying attention to the right threads. He’s a Canadian living down undah.

LeftCoaster Jun 4, 2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8193549)
Let's see if other airports will have a 19.7% increase in April 2018 vs April 2016.....;)

YVR clocking in at 21.6% :cheers:
http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...aned.pdf?la=en

Pretty unreal run for YVR and YUL.

Denscity Jun 4, 2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8209738)
YVR clocking in at 21.6% :cheers:
http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...aned.pdf?la=en

Pretty unreal run for YVR and YUL.

Man YUL kills it for two years only to be beaten by a city 1 million people smaller!

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8209738)
YVR clocking in at 21.6% :cheers:
http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docume...aned.pdf?la=en

Pretty unreal run for YVR and YUL.

Indeed. ;)

LeftCoaster Jun 4, 2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8209759)
Man YUL kills it for two years only to be beaten by a city 1 million people smaller!

Well it's a percentage growth so the size of the cities or airports is irrelevant, as the growth is relative.

As far as I know YUL and YVR have been growing at a similar pace for the last 4-5 years. Someone can fact check me there but I'm sure its pretty close.

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8209759)
Man YUL kills it for two years only to be beaten by a city 1 million people smaller!

What can I say, the Chinese keep on coming...;)

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 10:35 PM

It would be cool if YUL separated it's international numbers like YVR does, if for nothing else, to see triple digit growth to East Asia every month these last few years.

GreaterMontréal Jun 4, 2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8209759)
Man YUL kills it for two years only to be beaten by a city 1.8 million people smaller!

corrected, at least make an effort to know your Canada. :D

thenoflyzone Jun 4, 2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 8209764)
Well it's a percentage growth so the size of the cities or airports is irrelevant, as the growth is relative.

As far as I know YUL and YVR have been growing at a similar pace for the last 4-5 years. Someone can fact check me there but I'm sure its pretty close.

I think that's correct.

Between 96 and 2010, YVR was stagnant in terms of growth. YUL, on the other hand was growing steadily during that time frame.

YUL handled more traffic in 2017 than YVR did in 2013. The gap between the two narrowed for quite a few years to enable this.

LeftCoaster Jun 4, 2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal (Post 8209772)
corrected, at least make an effort to know your Canada. :D

There are 4.3 million people in Montreal now? Every month it seems to grow by 100,000...

At this rate it should be passing Toronto within a few years.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.