SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

NYguy Feb 11, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6009558)
I'm gonna pass out when this building is finally revealed!

I think we all might. This is like the culmination of the 13 or so years I've been on this forum documenting skyscrapers going up in New York. For a while, we would have been happy just to get anything 900 ft (remember the NYSE proposal, earlier versions of the Bloomberg tower, etc.), but now if a tower doesn't reach at least 1,000 ft people are disappointed. Wouldn't have guessed it a few years ago, not even by the most optimistic standards.

aquablue Feb 11, 2013 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6010620)
I think we all might. This is like the culmination of the 13 or so years I've been on this forum documenting skyscrapers going up in New York. For a while, we would have been happy just to get anything 900 ft (remember the NYSE proposal, earlier versions of the Bloomberg tower, etc.), but now if a tower doesn't reach at least 1,000 ft people are disappointed. Wouldn't have guessed it a few years ago, not even by the most optimistic standards.

I'm not shocked, given NY's global status, economy and its geographical restrictions as well as the demand for great views. Its always been the #1 city for international investment in real estate in the US. That has just accelerated as the economy has bounced back and more money is being made in the East, with more people wanting to invest in outrageous digs for safe investments. To me it was just a matter of time before NY started to build taller. The only situation that would have prevented that in my mind would have been a terminal decline in the US economy or the lack of desire to invest in NYC for some reason (preference for other cities, restrictions on building, wars, etc).

NYguy Feb 11, 2013 10:35 PM

^ But no one predicted we would have potentially 3 residential supertalls rising on the same street within years of each other. In fact, a few years ago, no one would have predicted much of anything rises, such was the mess the world was in. And especially in the post 9/11 world, there have been doubts about not only would New York build tall again, but should it. The answer has been loud and clear. New York builds, and the world notices. The world demands it.

TechTalkGuy Feb 12, 2013 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6010798)
^ But no one predicted we would have potentially 3 residential supertalls rising on the same street within years of each other. In fact, a few years ago, no one would have predicted much of anything rises, such was the mess the world was in. And especially in the post 9/11 world, there have been doubts about not only would New York build tall again, but should it.

I am going to say this once, after 9/11/2001, I really wanted the twin towers rebuilt, but to an historic height of 2001 feet to reflect the year of the attack.

Moving forward, I am pleased to see so much progress here.

When you see potential in many cities around the world (remember the Chicago Spire), this is a global celebration that we all commonly share as skyscraper fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6010798)
The answer has been loud and clear. New York builds, and the world notices. The world demands it.

What if the developers announce a height much greater than 1,550 feet for this tower? :D

Would this tower compete with the World Trade Center complex downtown? :shrug:

NYguy Feb 12, 2013 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy (Post 6011322)
What if the developers announce a height much greater than 1,550 feet for this tower? :D

Would this tower compete with the World Trade Center complex downtown? :shrug:

The WTC dominates the lower Manhattan skyline. This would be similar to the ESB, just on a higher scale, dominating Midtown. But there's room for everyone on the skyline. Some towers will be more open than others. One57 for example, will be a very pretty addition, but public access will be limited. The Tower Verre would be an extension of the MOMA, so more people will become familiar with it. The Nordstrom tower won't have a public observation deck, but the large Nordstrom at the base will likely see more people streaming in and out than the deck at the WTC. Related's Hudson Yards complex will combine both. There will be oppurtunity for all to shine on the skyline, particularly because its the world's most famous skyline, seen on too many things to count. Who will shine the brightest? We'll see.

NYguy Feb 13, 2013 9:09 PM

Another permit filed today...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:

PROVIDE BUILDERS PAVEMENT PLAN IN CONJUCTION WITH NEW BUILDING.

NYguy Feb 19, 2013 8:46 PM

Looks like they are ready to get in the ground. Another permit filed today...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=03

Quote:

PROVIDE FOUNDATION WORK AS PER PLANS FILED

sbarn Feb 19, 2013 9:14 PM

Awesome! :cheers:

I wonder when they'll start digging??

NYguy Feb 19, 2013 9:27 PM

Barnett has said excavation work would start early this year.

gramsjdg Feb 19, 2013 11:36 PM

-NEWSFLASH-

...After weeks of secret and somewhat lengthy negotiations, Barnett, Heinz, MOMA, and architect Jean Nouvel have agreed to scale up the design of Tower Verre and use it for Barnett's proposed NYC centerpiece tower at 225 W 57th. Roof height is tentatively set at 500 meters, or 1640 ft.

Details to follow...

:runaway:

...we're allowed to dream occasionally on this site, right? :haha:

NYC GUY Feb 20, 2013 12:55 AM

You got me excited for a sec.

TechTalkGuy Feb 20, 2013 1:22 AM

:previous: Don't tell me I got excited :hyper: for nothing? :shrug:

NYCrules Feb 20, 2013 2:14 AM

Today is my birthday, and i am receiving this pleasant surprise.
I just can't imagine how involuntary it is to get a gift or any other surprises like this...
Though not a New Yorker or even an American, it gives me delight to know America is rocketing. Thanks guys for the news...

NOPA Feb 20, 2013 2:47 AM

This tower will be pretty epic. It could very well be the tallest building in the Americas right? (depending on the measurement). I would just kill for San Francisco to get more 500 ft + towers.

hunser Feb 20, 2013 1:19 PM

^ This tower will be in the top 10 worldwide by roof height (~500m). ;)

Btw I would like to see a design similar to the once proposed 2200 feet tall Cintas Tower (1983, NYC).

--> Diagram

NYCrules Feb 24, 2013 4:35 PM

Can anyone possibly shoot one aerial picture of the site before the construction commences?
(not google earth pic)
Thanx!!!

uaarkson Feb 24, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCrules (Post 6026967)
Can anyone possibly shoot one aerial picture of the site before the construction commences?
(not google earth pic)
Thanx!!!

Yeah, I was just wrapping up the paperwork on my new private helicopter.

BraveNewWorld Feb 24, 2013 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 6021060)
-NEWSFLASH-

...After weeks of secret and somewhat lengthy negotiations, Barnett, Heinz, MOMA, and architect Jean Nouvel have agreed to scale up the design of Tower Verre and use it for Barnett's proposed NYC centerpiece tower at 225 W 57th. Roof height is tentatively set at 500 meters, or 1640 ft.

Details to follow...

:runaway:

...we're allowed to dream occasionally on this site, right? :haha:

I really hate you :haha:

I was excited for a second there..

NYCrules Feb 25, 2013 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 6027177)

Wow really!!!
Thanks in advance....

TechTalkGuy Feb 25, 2013 3:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 6027177)

THIS is something I can't wait to see! :haha:

Who says there's no humor here on SSP?