SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

TheGreatestX Feb 1, 2020 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 8817965)
Luckily Sichuan is only 3/week but yes just saw that. The big ones like MU, CA, and CZ look to still be operating normally, and they are the one with most frequencies. MU to NKG is still available from what I see, and in the spring/summer?

Interesting. On Google Flights, the calendar view doesn't show any non-stops between Vancouver and Nanjing after the 18th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 8818105)
We will see how that pans out.

Given the US has closed there boarder to non-US nationals who have been in the impacted area of China I don't see any US-China flights lasting for very much longer. That may shift a significant amount of traffic through Vancouver and Toronto.

Or Canada will follow suit.

thenoflyzone Feb 1, 2020 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 8818105)
We will see how that pans out.

Given the US has closed there boarder to non-US nationals who have been in the impacted area of China I don't see any US-China flights lasting for very much longer. That may shift a significant amount of traffic through Vancouver and Toronto.

How are transit passengers from Canada to the US being handled in Vancouver just now.

US CBP at YVR will refuse entry to any foreign national that has traveled to China in the last 14 days.

Japan, Australia and Singapore are taking similar measures. Canada will most likely follow suit shortly.

jmt18325 Feb 1, 2020 6:44 PM

YWG was flat at around 4.5M passengers:

https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...promising-note

yyzer Feb 1, 2020 9:48 PM

Looks like Avianca are planning to launch BOG-YYZ... :)

https://simpleflying.com/avianca-bog...oronto-direct/

zahav Feb 1, 2020 10:54 PM

Googe Flights is weird with some airlines. If you click on actual days you will see the flights available, even if it doesm't show on the main calendar

whatnext Feb 1, 2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8818128)
US CBP at YVR will refuse entry to any foreign national that has traveled to China in the last 14 days.

Japan, Australia and Singapore are taking similar measures. Canada will most likely follow suit shortly.

I'm not sure it is a given Canada will follow suit. Trudeau has gone out of his way to be soft on China and court big donors from the diaspora.

casper Feb 3, 2020 5:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8818303)
I'm not sure it is a given Canada will follow suit. Trudeau has gone out of his way to be soft on China and court big donors from the diaspora.

Trudeau government has also had more of a "science" based decision making focus and generally less likely to close boarders generally.

EspionNoir Feb 3, 2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 8818141)
YWG was flat at around 4.5M passengers:

https://www.waa.ca/media/news/articl...promising-note

Wow, in terms of passenger traffic, the grounding of 737 Max truly has messed things up! I felt glad when YWG had growth of 7.5% in the first quarter of 2019, it would be great if YWG could maintain the strong growth throughout the year

Nevertheless, staying at 2018’s level despite the grounding of 737 Max seems like a good sign

thenoflyzone Feb 3, 2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyzer (Post 8818269)
Looks like Avianca are planning to launch BOG-YYZ... :)

https://simpleflying.com/avianca-bog...oronto-direct/

Interesting strategy.

When AC starts YUL-BOG, YYZ-BOG goes down from daily to 5x weekly. AV has a good opportunity to enter the Toronto market with that drop in frequency.

That being said, I still find it a bit surprising that AV wants to launch new routes so soon after announcing a restructure last year. They canceled BOS and ORD, among others, both of which had no other non stops to BOG. You would think they would resume these unserved markets before launching YYZ, which already has a carrier operating the route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspionNoir (Post 8819162)
Wow, in terms of passenger traffic, the grounding of 737 Max truly has messed things up! I felt glad when YWG had growth of 7.5% in the first quarter of 2019, it would be great if YWG could maintain the strong growth throughout the year

Nevertheless, staying at 2018’s level despite the grounding of 737 Max seems like a good sign

Airports like YOW and YWG fared well with the Max crisis. They managed to keep the number of pax they had. That's good to see.

Signs are pointing to a Max return to service in Q3 2020, so hopefully by the end of this year, AC/WG/WS will resume normal ops with their Max's.

thenoflyzone Feb 3, 2020 10:18 PM

YVR published December and full year 2019 figures.

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docum...fic-update.pdf

December 2019: 2,155,151 +4.4%

2019 total: 26,395,820 +1.8%

craneSpotter Feb 3, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8819757)
YVR published December and full year 2019 figures.

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docum...fic-update.pdf

December 2019: 2,155,151 +4.4%

2019 total: 26,395,820 +1.8%

Decembers numbers weren't all that bad...even Nov's were OK.

YVR's January 2020 numbers won't see a full hit from the cancelled Chinese flights - it may even just be flat (with a possible uptick in Domestic). February has an extra day this year - so those extra PAX will cushion the Asia-Pacific drop a bit...

zahav Feb 4, 2020 5:48 AM

I'd been emailing YVR last week asking about November stats, and on Thursday they told me they'd be posted today. Then it went straight to Decmber lol. I was surprised at how decent December results were as well, considering how dismal October was. This year will be pretty brutal with the China issues (and that could even hit US numbers too, because of connecting pax), but I guess that's reality of where we are now :o

hollywoodcory Feb 4, 2020 1:18 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lane-1.5450824

Man on board WS2702 YYZ-MBJ claimed to have been to China and had the Coronavirus. Flight returned to YYZ, and he was arrested. Probably the dumbest way to get your 15 minutes of fame. Hopefully WS goes after him to pay for the costs of the diversion.

Dominion301 Feb 4, 2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8819728)
Interesting strategy.

When AC starts YUL-BOG, YYZ-BOG goes down from daily to 5x weekly. AV has a good opportunity to enter the Toronto market with that drop in frequency.

That being said, I still find it a bit surprising that AV wants to launch new routes so soon after announcing a restructure last year. They canceled BOS and ORD, among others, both of which had no other non stops to BOG. You would think they would resume these unserved markets before launching YYZ, which already has a carrier operating the route.



Airports like YOW and YWG fared well with the Max crisis. They managed to keep the number of pax they had. That's good to see.

Signs are pointing to a Max return to service in Q3 2020, so hopefully by the end of this year, AC/WG/WS will resume normal ops with their Max's.

YOW would have been up slightly instead of down slightly if it weren’t for UA inexplicably suspending ORD...returns next month, just as they permanently cut EWR, leaving only AC on the route. AC is also cutting YOW-MCO summer weekend service...hopefully only a temporary MAX-related cut. Will return in October. Is it any wonder that YOW has been treading water with transborder numbers for almost the past decade!

YHZ though was down 3% to 4.188 million: https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2020/02/...secutive-year/

I know the MAX hit YHZ’s international ops hard, but clearly domestic was hurt too. Transborder was up 18% though. YHZ had ORD last summer yet YOW didn’t...head scratcher!

BenYOW Feb 5, 2020 12:32 AM

Lethbridge Airport (CYQL) broke the 100,000 mark for the first time since the 1990s with 104,078 passengers in 2019. This is up 19% from 2018 and 81% from 2017. Source

YYCguys Feb 5, 2020 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenYOW (Post 8821118)
Lethbridge Airport (CYQL) broke the 100,000 mark for the first time since the 1990s with 104,078 passengers in 2019. This is up 19% from 2018 and 81% from 2017. Source

No doubt due to Westjet Link’s service!

JakeLRS Feb 5, 2020 5:56 AM

For those of you who fly between the big Canadian cities frequently (exc. the maritimes). Flair is offering a travel pass for $499 (blackout dates) or $699 (no blackout dates + baggage) for 3 months.

https://flyflair.com/travel-info/go-travel-pass/

I’m curious to see all your opinions. That is the price of 2 round trip tickets from YYZ-YVR if you book with a few weeks notice.

Denscity Feb 5, 2020 7:31 AM

YCG Castlegar hit 81 thousand passengers in 2019.
Up from 75 thousand both the two years previous.
Increase due to better weather (less cancellations)
Btw this total is ten times our population.

LO 044 Feb 5, 2020 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 8821377)
For those of you who fly between the big Canadian cities frequently (exc. the maritimes). Flair is offering a travel pass for $499 (blackout dates) or $699 (no blackout dates + baggage) for 3 months.

https://flyflair.com/travel-info/go-travel-pass/

I’m curious to see all your opinions. That is the price of 2 round trip tickets from YYZ-YVR if you book with a few weeks notice.

As i posted on the YEG thread this clause is interseting:
Quote:

Flights booked using the go travel passes ($499) are subject to availability, exclude travel on Friday’s and Sunday’s and contain the following blackout dates: February 14th – 17th, March 20th – 30th and April 10th – 13th, 2020
Flights booked using the go travel-unlimited pass ($699) are subject to availability
So Flair can just limit the number of seats per flight per day of the week. No different than Aeroplan or a seat sale on WS or AC where there will be availability on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and then little to no availability the rest of the week. Of course if you can fly on the available dates then it is probably a good deal.

zahav Feb 5, 2020 6:25 PM

That moron who faked the Coronavirus claim openly admitted he did it in order to make a viral video (mind the pun). What a POS, seriously self-entitled losers like him should have the book thrown at them! All those other people suffered because he wanted to be a millenial idiot (sorry no offence to other millenials lol). Seriously read this full article, it will make your blood boil. He even had done a previous thing on a flight before, WTF?!:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6503789/f...ronto-jamaica/


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.