SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Vicelord John Sep 30, 2009 5:41 PM

Im loving the weather too, though ive been in san diego all week and its a little perfecter.

HX_Guy Sep 30, 2009 5:53 PM

Still too warm for me during the day...they said today was supposed to get to a high of 90 but it's already 89.2 at 11:00am.

I think high of 85 is perfect for me with lows in the 60s.

Leo the Dog Sep 30, 2009 10:06 PM

Still too hot and dusty, but its promising. HPA warning today. :yuck:

I was just back east and the weather could not have been better. Trees are beginning to change at the very tips. Highs in the mid-70's, lows in the 40s-50s. Dew on the cars at night, could see your breathe, northwesterly winds bringing in nice clean Canadian air.

plinko Oct 1, 2009 1:37 AM

33, and though not a native or living there anymore, I lived in Phoenix from 6 months-8 and 17-24 (also most every summer between 8-17). Graduated from ASU in architecture, licensed architect in Arizona (though I only practice in CA at the moment).
Probably not the original Phoenix forumer, but definitely O.G. (June 1999)
Watched the metro eat away at the desert I love, finally had to leave when I couldn't stand being a part of that anymore. Still, happy to see what has gone on in Phoenix, but I'm always a realist and know there's a LONG way to go.

I don't post a whole lot, but read everything and usually just chime in with some technical clarification or jargon...

vid Oct 1, 2009 7:21 AM

THEIVES. http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5551/sniz.gif

combusean Oct 1, 2009 8:56 AM

^ Huh?

vid Oct 1, 2009 9:05 AM

Copying the Midwest. http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5551/sniz.gif

combusean Oct 1, 2009 10:16 AM

Do I owe somebody a franchise fee?

The thread is a good idea. =P

SunDevil Oct 2, 2009 4:04 AM

Just a word for anyone here who is a veteran and in school. Tomorrow VA is handing out $3000 checks to any veteran that has proof they are currently enrolled in school. Of course there is a little more to it than that, I hope, we only found out about it this afternoon.

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 5:49 PM

Does anyone know where I can find info on Maricopa county in migration? I once saw a table showing how many people moved to Maricopa county from other counties in the US. It was very interesting and I wanted to reference it again, but I 5-10 minutes of Googling and Im having no such luck.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 6:12 PM

I'll break it down for you.

50% of new residents moved from Illinois/Nebraska/Missouri
34% of new residents moved from California
22% of new residents moved from Canada/New York/Boston
4% of new residents were births within the county

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 6:14 PM

^Link/source....?

Saying "Oh Vicelord John on the internet told me so" is a bit weird in conversation.

mwadswor Oct 5, 2009 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4490616)
I'll break it down for you.

50% of new residents moved from Illinois/Nebraska/Missouri
34% of new residents moved from California
22% of new residents moved from Canada/New York/Boston
4% of new residents were births within the county

I'm from New Mexico... you need an "other" category for me. And add Wisconsin to your top/midwest category, I meet a surprising amount of people from Wisconsin here.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4490617)
^Link/source....?

Saying "Oh Vicelord John on the internet told me so" is a bit weird in conversation.

You read it on the Vicelord Report.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4490626)
I'm from New Mexico... you need an "other" category for me. And add Wisconsin to your top/midwest category, I meet a surprising amount of people from Wisconsin here.

New Mexico counts the same as California under the "hispanics from neighboring states" sub-category.

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 9:18 PM

On another note, the medias geographic ignorance continues here. Apparently 4343 N. 7th Ave is "Downtown" even though its actually 2.5 miles North of the very Northern edge of Downtown (McDowell) and even more if you count the I-10 as the edge of Downtown like I do.

Its especially frustrating considering the nightclub that the article is about is in a well defined neighborhood, Melrose. Im sure the Melrose Neighborhood Assoc. and the 7th Ave Merchants association really don't appreciate their names not being used in the article and it instead being called "Downtown." I sent an email to the articles author, I tried to be polite but it makes me crazy.

Does anyone have any smart ideas on what can be done about this sort of thing? Maybe its not worth worrying about it, but it seems important to me. How can we expect Downtown, Melrose, or any 'hood to grow a good reputation if no one knows where they are? Maybe the city should send out emails/maps to the Republic and New Times...I dunno but it makes me feel like Im banging my head against a wall.

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2009 9:52 PM

I'm Brandon. 25. Originally from Los Angeles (born and raised) but moved here to Tucson a year ago. This is my second stint in Arizona (in 2004, I worked at the Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn for 4 months). I love techno music, food at coffee shops, and Marlboro Smooths. Arizonans can't drive for shit and I really miss the ocean. And grass.

And I have a very strong crush on Sam Sparro.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...ro_470238a.jpg

combusean Oct 5, 2009 9:58 PM

"Arizonans can't drive for shit..."

aint that the truth.

I thought everyone here was from ohio?

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 10:01 PM

so wait, if you can't drive for shit, and you're from somewhere else, then that doesn't mean Arizonians can't drive.

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4490956)
so wait, if you can't drive for shit, and you're from somewhere else, then that doesn't mean Arizonians can't drive.

Here in Tucson (I don't know how it is in Phoenix), you can always tell who is a native of Arizona and who isn't because the non natives ALWAYS say that Arizonans can't drive.

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4490935)

And I have a very strong crush on Sam Sparro.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...ro_470238a.jpg

Whos more attracted to tools, gay men or women?

Also are John, HX Guy, Silverbear and myself the only heterosexuals in the SW section? Not that I particularly care about it one way or the other, but its interesting to me that this 'hobby'/interest is so much more participated in by gay men, I wonder what leads to that.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 10:11 PM

I think I'm more curious why one of my favorite hobbies is shared by mainly gay men...

and FWIW I agree, that guy is a tool. It'd be fun to watch him cry after taking his 80's Indian quilt hat away.

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4490965)

Also are John, HX Guy, Silverbear and myself the only heterosexuals in the SW section? Not that I particularly care about it one way or the other, but its interesting to me that this 'hobby'/interest is so much more participated in by gay men, I wonder what leads to that.

I think the whole 'gay guys obsession with skyscrapers' thing was started with the LANDMARK Swiss Re. I personally think it's ugly but the gays I'm pretty sure that when they see this building they think, 'Oh the possibilities.' :slob:

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...406swissRe.jpg

And no insulting Sam. He's actually a very good singer.

Video Link

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 10:17 PM

I just gaged.... new subject.

vagina vagina vagina vagina

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 10:23 PM

^Whew I sure am glad I only share architecture/urbanism hobby with gays and not their music choice, that shit is awful. Reminds me of the stuff I had to hear in all the gay clubs along 7th Ave on a MTV show I worked on, ick.

I also think the gay communities interest in this topic likely goes back much further than that particular building. I also dont think its something as silly or simple as the buildings being phallic. I suspect its more to do with gay men generally being more aesthetically inclined, thus interested in how cities look and work. Further since many of them don't have kids they can perhaps channel their energies towards raising a city instead of a child.

But really I dont know and I probably just inadvertently said something wildly offensive.

EDIT: VV Bacon and pastrami are delicious, whats your point?

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4490990)

It bleeds every month and it looks like pastrami strips. Bacon even. Which is exactly why I stay from the stuff.

PHX31 Oct 5, 2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Also are John, HX Guy, Silverbear and myself the only heterosexuals in the SW section?

Hoover, I'm sure you just didn't think about all of the rest of the SW forumers, but put me in the hetero column... unless you thought I was gay too (?).

I too enjoy bacon and pastrami over hot dogs and bananas.

BrandonJXN Oct 5, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4491002)
I also think the gay communities interest in this topic likely goes back much further than that particular building. I also dont think its something as silly or simple as the buildings being phallic. I suspect its more to do with gay men generally being more aesthetically inclined, thus interested in how cities look and work. Further since many of them don't have kids they can perhaps channel their energies towards raising a city instead of a child.

Well if this is the case than thank God I'm never going to be a father. I have Sim City 4 and many times have I made a nice, mid sized city only to not like what I 've done and obliterate it.

HooverDam Oct 5, 2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4491018)
Hoover, I'm sure you just didn't think about all of the rest of the SW forumers, but put me in the hetero column... unless you thought I was gay too (?).

I was just going with people who I knew were confirmed lady lovers. I have a TERRIBLE memory and didnt recall if guys like yourself, Gymrat, etc have ever mentioned anything one way or the other on the topic. Obviously Johns straight, I know I am, HX Guy just showed us wedding pictures with a pretty gal in them and I recall Silverbear saying he's married..so thats all I could be sure of.

I know this for sure, the regular SW posters are 100% male.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 10:40 PM

hot dogs are made of lips and buttholes. when making the comparison of peni to hot dogs, I think thats disgusting.

Pastrami sandwiches are delicious and bacon is the best.

Tempe_Duck Oct 5, 2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Add me to the list of straight guy who likes architecture and development and WOMEN.

Vicelord John Oct 5, 2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4491029)
I have a TERRIBLE memory and didnt recall if guys like yourself, Gymrat, etc have ever mentioned anything one way or the other on the topic.

If I had a dollar for every comment of gymrat's that was x rated gay, I'd have a nice dinner at Morton's.

PhxPavilion Oct 6, 2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4491003)
It bleeds every month and it looks like pastrami strips. Bacon even. Which is exactly why I stay from the stuff.

Not a fan of pastrami or bacon either but I love all the parts of a woman.

mwadswor Oct 6, 2009 2:05 AM

Lol, I think you found the fastest way to get everyone on here to respond. I don't know the last time I saw so many post in the sw forum in one day. You can mark me in the hetero column.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4490990)

And this made me literally laugh out loud. :haha:

mwadswor Oct 6, 2009 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4491029)
I was just going with people who I knew were confirmed lady lovers. I have a TERRIBLE memory and didnt recall if guys like yourself, Gymrat, etc have ever mentioned anything one way or the other on the topic. Obviously Johns straight, I know I am, HX Guy just showed us wedding pictures with a pretty gal in them and I recall Silverbear saying he's married..so thats all I could be sure of.

I know this for sure, the regular SW posters are 100% male.

That's probably a more interesting question. Forget gay and straight, how many regular posters on all of ssp are women? Not many, I think.

Tito714 Oct 6, 2009 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4491338)
That's probably a more interesting question. Forget gay and straight, how many regular posters on all of ssp are women? Not many, I think.

NONE!

TAZ4ate0 Oct 6, 2009 3:41 PM

Quote:

Also are John, HX Guy, Silverbear and myself the only heterosexuals in the SW section?

You can add me to the heterosexual list too. :yes:

also, pastrami and bacon are delicious, you can even eat them together if you choose.

scottkag Oct 6, 2009 4:13 PM

Geez, what's with all the heterosexuals in our forum today?

Okay, the gay men, no women thing is sort of intriguing. And I like bacon.

NorthScottsdale Oct 6, 2009 6:11 PM

I think just in general, gay men are attracted to style and beauty (not to say that straight people don't appreciate style). You find a lot more style in central phoenix than in the suburbs. Also, gay men are more drawn to urban areas, as the soccer moms in the suburbs are generally not too open to alternative lifestyles and it tends to be too conservative for a lot of gays. And you know gays, once they move into a neighborhood, they take it on and want to beautify the whole area. Gays have a reputation for transforming neighborhoods.. (Chelsea in New York, Capitol Hill in Seattle.. etc).
I think most people who live in urban cores are interested in seeing development and pretty buildings, but the gays just get a lot more involved in the process.

Ok, I'm rambling. But that is my personal opinion on why there are so many gays on here. I'm not sure if it made any sense.

Classical in Phoenix Oct 6, 2009 7:09 PM

I'm straight, but I do like banannas.

BrandonJXN Oct 6, 2009 10:31 PM

I hope this pleases everyone.

For the straight and narrow.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5...0777255846.gif

For the crooked and wide.
http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/u...5/image003.gif

Leo the Dog Oct 7, 2009 1:28 PM

I think this site has a high gay percentage because they have no children and two incomes in one household. Therefore, they have a high expendable income and are able to live in the cool trendy areas of each city.

Anyone ever notice how the gay parts of town tend to have the nice 'hoods, cafes, restaurants, bars, shops etc...Naturally, they'd be interested in the SSP.

BTW, hetero here.

combusean Oct 10, 2009 12:50 PM

I had to chime in.

A former friend mentioned that the style concept of a gay man tends to focus on things that don't affect themselves as much as it would other people.

The best example is as a women's fashion designer, but I could easily see that applied to urban planning as well.

combusean Oct 10, 2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4492803)

Her tongue looks rather phallic. In fact the way there's a slight ridge toward the end is kinda creepy.

Yeccch! ;)

HooverDam Oct 12, 2009 7:39 PM

http://phoenix.gov/citygovernment/pl...phx/index.html

Reminder for those interested the first Central City meeting for the new Phoenix General Plan is tonight at 6pm at the Emerson Court, School District Board Room (East Entrance), 1817 N. 7th Street.

PHX31 Oct 13, 2009 12:05 AM

tonight is shaping up to have some spectacular sunsets... get your cameras ready.

Locofresh55 Oct 14, 2009 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4491018)

Some Vajayjays get worse than bacon and pastrami. Some look like roast beef curtains flapping in the wind. But I'll take some of that before the CUCUMBER. Anywho, Sorry I'm late to this fiesta but I'll participate in this lovely trend.

I'm 29 years old (can't believe I'm gonna hit the big 3-0 next may). Married with two kids. Originally from New Yawk but moved to Phoenix before High School. Joined the Air Force in 1998 and have been around the world (Japan, Colombia, possibly Afghanistan next year) and also lived in San Antonio before coming to my current assignment in Tucson. Currently doing my Associates at u of Phx. I may want to go overseas again before finishing my AF career (possibly in Tucson). Last little tidbit of info was I almost got ejected from my son's Flag football game as did our head coach (god I love being an assistant head coach).

Locofresh55 Oct 14, 2009 4:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeHundred (Post 4492803)

"My prostate gland...she's about to taste it."

For the crooked and wide.
http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/u...5/image003.gif

50 bucks says there are still guys from Belgium dancing like this all around the world. CHEESE AND RICE!!!

HooverDam Oct 14, 2009 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4502041)
http://phoenix.gov/citygovernment/pl...phx/index.html

Reminder for those interested the first Central City meeting for the new Phoenix General Plan is tonight at 6pm at the Emerson Court, School District Board Room (East Entrance), 1817 N. 7th Street.

So just in case anyones interested I thought Id give a little report on this. It was a bit frustrating because I arrived at 6, the designated time, and they had double booked the room so I had to sit through a Central City village meeting for 30 minutes at first before the General Plan visioning meeting began.

As far the "visioning" meeting went, all they had us do was throw out things we valued about Phoenix, which went reasonably well I suppose. A lot of the same themes kept coming up (weather, opportunity, openness, the desert) which wasn't much of a surprise. It was only an hour or so long and I felt a bit hamstrung by how limited the topic of the meeting was.

The next meeting is on Nov 6th at 6pm at the same place. We're supposed to come with ideas "imagining Phoenix at its best at 2050." I encourage anyone here to show up since I got the feeling from a lot of people at the first meeting were long on heart but short on vision. I feel like a lot of the folks here would really have some valuable things to add.

phxgreenfire Oct 14, 2009 4:31 PM

I saw this interesting event coming downtown in the Business Journal:
http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...2/daily37.html

Quote:

Zombies to spook downtown Phoenix on Halloween

To celebrate Halloween, Downtown Phoenix Partnership is hosting a Zombie Walk. Revelers are invited to dress as their favorite zombie and haunt the streets of downtown Phoenix.

The event will start with a gathering at Heritage Square in front of the Arizona Science Center at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 30. The walk will begin at 6 p.m. and end at Friday’s Front Row at Chase Field.

Downtown Phoenix is expected to be busy that night, with performances at the Herberger Theater and Phoenix Symphony hall as well as the Phoenix Suns home opener against Golden State Warriors.

Details for the walk are still being developed, but the event is free and open to the costumed public. It’s likely that the ‘non-zombies’ will be also allowed to walk at their own risk. Members of the partnership’s ambassador program are expected to lead the way. For more: www.myspace.com/phoenixzombiewalk09.

I always thought having a major holiday event could promote the local culture and get the community active in fun civic events, like New York's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Chicago's St. Patrick's Day festivities, etc. I hope this is a good sign the community is evolving and moving toward giving the city more character.