SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

Hot Rod Nov 11, 2010 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 5036361)
Pretty sure that SFO has A380 service.

yep, SFO has or had dailies from Qantas.

M II A II R II K Nov 14, 2010 9:37 PM

Rethinking ORD: O'Hare Super Strip

By Clare Lyster

http://archpaper.com/images/anp_logos/anplogo.gif

Read More: http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4992

Quote:

This proposal for O’Hare Airport in Chicago takes the current $15 billion O’Hare Modernization Program (OMP) as a starting point to imagine the airport not just as a transportation terminal but as a multi-programmed urban landscape that caters to travelers as well as a regional and local population that comes to the airport to shop, play, and work. A subsurface mega-strip formed by the new parallel runway configuration stretches across the 3 1/2-mile width of the airfield, connecting the existing airport terminals on the east side of the airfield with the proposed new terminal on the western edge. The strip hosts three large program clusters that aggregate around the terminals, linked by the CTA blue line, which, with the highway, is extended across the strip and into the city’s Northwest suburbs.

- East Zone: Research of route flow shows that 34 percent of flights in and out of O’Hare are to destinations within a 1 1/2-hour radius of Chicago. Given the high demand for regional connections, the east cluster zone by Terminal 5, the international terminal, provides for a large high-speed rail interchange with other metropolitan transportation connections supported by hotels and conference facilities and a regional commuter university.

- Mid Zone: Positioning amenities underground acknowledges safety measures imposed by air traffic control and flight paths and also provides acoustic isolation. Large voids are carved out of the thickened strip to allow light and air into the subterranean spaces. For example, a central void in the “mid-cluster zone” hosts one of the primary collective spaces of the project, a 45-acre public park that acts as a gateway from the lower level parking layer to Terminals 1, 2, and 3, the airport’s busiest spaces.

- West Zone: Since 1996, the O’Hare Noise Compatibility Commission has spent $435 million on noise abatement programs in the surrounding neighborhoods to address the significant and dangerous noise levels in and around O’Hare. The program cluster on the west edge of the strip is zoned for institutional use and accommodates the schools, religious institutions, and community programs currently located on the periphery of the airfield in areas above the FAA’s 65 DNL (Day-Night Average Sound Level). The cluster is linked to parking and the CTA, allowing easy access to outlying residential areas.

http://archpaper.com/uploads/file/Lyster_O%27Hare_2.jpg

spyguy Nov 16, 2010 1:58 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7054790.story

U.S. offers $3.4 million to design control tower at O'Hare
By Jon Hilkevitch

Although Chicago still has not lined up funding to build the final new runway planned at O'Hare International Airport, the U.S. government offered $3.4 million Monday to design an air-traffic control tower to serve the future airstrip.

The proposed tower, to be located on the south airfield, would be the third control tower at O'Hare. It would serve the planned 7,500-foot runway 10 Right/28 Left, the southern-most runway of six east-west runways envisioned in the $15 billion O'Hare expansion project.

...LaHood offered another surprise. He said no one has approached him during his almost two years as transportation secretary about the proposed south suburban airport in Will County.

Jenner Nov 16, 2010 4:41 AM

Is the southern control tower only for the proposed southern most runway 10R/28L, or is it going to be used to control all of the runways on the south end of the field? Seems odd that you'd need 1 control tower for a single runway (or at least that is what I gathered from the article).

ardecila Nov 16, 2010 5:45 AM

I'm not sure, exactly. Most parallel-runway airports have the runways fairly closely-spaced (DFW, LAX, SEA) but O'Hare will have very widely-spaced runways. That makes the job of the ATCs more difficult. I wonder if the central tower will be taken out of commission, to be replaced with the existing and future mid-field towers?

Jenner Nov 18, 2010 4:41 AM

I looked at some sample airports, and DFW has 3 towers, ATL has 1 (biggest in US), and DTW has 1. My guess is that the ORD central tower may not be tall enough to see the entire airfield, and thus ancillary towers are needed to see the outer-most runways. This seems to be the model for DFW. ATL created one massive tower in order to see the whole airfield.

denizen467 Nov 18, 2010 11:33 AM

Having 2 or 3 is way cooler than having 1 big one. Especially given the sexy design they used for ORD (and the cookie cutter design used at ATL).

I wonder how many others have 3 -- it's probably an extremely short list (DEN?) if there are any at all. FYI the DFW towers look pretty smallish per satellite photo.

nomarandlee Nov 20, 2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,7124874.story

Northwest suburbs still waiting for lift from O'Hare expansionStalled project continues to anger some, disappoint others

........Promises of a new access road and terminal helped convince suburban lawmakers to support O'Hare expansion. In 2001, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley proposed a $6.6 billion project to build four additional runways and a western terminal at O'Hare in a bid to increase airport capacity and reduce congestion.

Planning has proceeded for the highway entrance, but the fate of the terminal is unclear. Its uncertain status has some critics questioning whether the project's promised economic boost justified destruction of hundreds of homes and businesses, as well as increased noise and pollution in the area.

With the western terminal on hold, some expansion opponents are saying, "I told you so." Boosters, who once envisioned new hotels, restaurants and businesses, are still waiting for development.

It isn't likely to happen soon. In 2008, six airlines whose landing and rental fees would help pay for the plan came out against the western terminal, calling it ill-conceived. They warned it was too far from the main terminal to permit easy passenger and baggage connections.

As city officials in September approved a $1 billion bond issue to keep the project going, Daley conceded the terminal wasn't an essential part of airport expansion. Aviation Commissioner Rosemarie Andolino said the terminal's construction would depend on future demand.

Chicago has constructed one new runway, extended one and built an additional control tower. The city still needs $3 billion to build three runways and extend another. The cost of airport improvements has reached $15 billion, while the number of flights declined the past two years..............

Last year, several communities agreed on the path of the bypass linking the Jane Addams and Tri-State tollways, as well as an extension of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway into the airport. Plans call for a rail or bus line to be built in the median of the expanded Elgin-O'Hare and up to the Addams Tollway (Interstate Highway 90).

Last month, Gov. Pat Quinn announced the formation of an advisory council to advance plans for the project.

Peter Harmet, lead project manager for the Illinois Department of Transportation, said the road work is needed, with or without a terminal, to reduce traffic congestion on the west side of the airport.

It also has the support of elected officials in the affected communities. Construction could start in 2013 and take at least two or three years to complete.

The $3.6 billion project still lacks funding, however. And with the state deep in debt, the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is considering making them toll roads..............
More in link

ardecila Nov 21, 2010 12:26 AM

Eh... it's all overblown. Planning for the highway is going gangbusters. Every few weeks, they're having meetings and determining new things about how the massive new highway will look, function, and be constructed. It makes the CTA look laughable with their glacially-slow study process.

chiphile Nov 21, 2010 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiphile (Post 4909945)
I've had some frustrations over this entire ORD expansion over the years and thus I must vent here. I hope the cronies running the aviation department take a look at this - it seems like no one has given them any advice that makes any sense.

First, O'Hare's website is not even appropriate for a 3rd world dirt air strip. What a shame: http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/OhareHomepage.shtm

Second, the last 30 years has been nothing but a steady decline in O'Hare and Chicago's place in aviation. Don't tell me about Boeing. I'm talking aviation infrastructure quality. Yes Midway is nice now, but it's small and has reached its max capacity. The two global hubs, United and American, have both drastically declined. And ORD, the one long time busiest airport in the world, has now slipped from 35 years of 1st place to 4th, yes FORTH. Atlanta on the other hand handles more passengers and flights than both O'Hare AND midway combined.

Finally, this expansion project has been handled poorly by the department of aviation and its treatment of the airlines, United and American.

They keep saying nonsense about more competition via the new western terminal. The airlines do not need more competition, there is plenty of it, Southwest owns Midway, and we already pay rock bottom prices for flying.

It's all about THE HUB.

Atlanta is what it is because of Delta. It offers over 1,000 daily flights to destinations around the globe, across America, and is considered the largest hub operation. It is the single most important factor in Atlanta emerging as a global city due to the air connections.

More "competition" at O'Hare means what, jet blue giving O'Hare its 48th flight to New York City? Some cheap airline with $80 flights to Florida? Let the vacationers go somewhere else, O'Hare needs to build its hubs.

The Western Terminal should go to United. It can serve as the North American Star Alliance hub, where United and all of its international partners operate out of. United's domestic operation can expand in terminal one and take over a new terminal 2. This is a perfect opportunity with United's merger with Continental.

With Star Alliance partners out to the new western terminal, American Airlines should have all of terminal 3 for its domestic operation and all of International Terminal 5 should go to the international One World Alliance.

All left over carriers can be housed in the new terminal 6.

Businesses book airline contracts with the airline that can give them the single most non-stop connections, domestic and international, with nice business lounges, frequency, and a good frequent flier plan. Spirit airlines to Florida is not that, United and American are. Stronger United and American hubs means a stronger O'hare, period.

Here's what I meant for the new United terminal.

This is what we have now:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8839/harej.jpg

This is what could be:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4682/hareunited.jpg

So, I really thought this one through. The western (left) satellite terminal is the United and Star Alliance International terminal with 23 gates for jumbo jets. This is accessible only from an underground train from the main terminal, the one with the 3 piers/concourses.

The middle concourse if you notice has only one side with aircraft, that's because there would not be enough taxi room if both sides did, and also if you notice, the middle concourse is devoted entirely to small regional jets. Since most regional jet travelers are connecting, their gates are conveniently located in the middle of the entire complex.

The concourse sizes are also very wide, to prevent crowding and ample gate seating areas, something people often complain about in U.S. airports.

For departing international passengers, they would proceed to the north side of the main terminal, check in, eat at a fancy restaurant, the ride an express train straight to their gates (the yellow line).

For international arriving passengers, those who have connecting flights have an immigration AND customs facility right in the international terminal, so they can connect to their domestic flights in the main terminal without ever leaving security. For international passengers headed home to Chicago, they have an express train straight to the main terminal (orange line) that takes them to a customs facility just for them and their luggage. Immigration is only done in the international terminal.

For domestic passengers, yes the concourses are long but you have a train, plenty of moving walkways inside the concourses, and all the things you need or wished you needed. Connections are made easy with underground walkways and frequent trains (red line).

United, Chicago, anyone listening?

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/175...naldiagram.jpg

Kngkyle Nov 21, 2010 7:30 PM

^ thats a great design. I think you made it a little too big though. That is probably enough for all the passenger operations not just United. As you're well aware, United and American are unlikely to support expansion if it means more gates for LCCs. I'd love for them to just demolish all the terminals and build that though, too bad it can't really be done and would cost a ton.

Looking at the scale you used, that terminal would have about 250 gates. Right now all of the terminals total 182 gates. So way more than is realistic.

chiphile Nov 22, 2010 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 5064254)
^ thats a great design. I think you made it a little too big though. That is probably enough for all the passenger operations not just United. As you're well aware, United and American are unlikely to support expansion if it means more gates for LCCs. I'd love for them to just demolish all the terminals and build that though, too bad it can't really be done and would cost a ton.

Looking at the scale you used, that terminal would have about 250 gates. Right now all of the terminals total 182 gates. So way more than is realistic.

Thanks for the feedback. Size wise though, that new terminal is 150 gates, easily countable with the scaled jets lined up (including 40 regional jets), not 250. Taking away the original demolished terminals 1 and 2 (which combined have 87 gates), the new design brings the total gates from your number of 182 to 245, for a total of just 63 new gates.

The new design is modeled to rival delta's hub in Atlanta. It's essentially a Delta hub laid on top of the old terminals 1 and 2. Nothing outrageous compared to what's being built in Dubai, Beijing, etc.

The numbers are also modest, a million flights per year (compared to the current 900K and 90-100 million passengers, compared to the current 70 million).

I really think this terminal is doable with 3 billion dollars, minus road improvements and/or western access. Perhaps the new United/Continental would be interested in something like this, if they don't, another city WILL build something similar and take the traffic.

Kngkyle Nov 22, 2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiphile (Post 5064749)
Thanks for the feedback. Size wise though, that new terminal is 150 gates, easily countable with the scaled jets lined up (including 40 regional jets), not 250. Taking away the original demolished terminals 1 and 2 (which combined have 87 gates), the new design brings the total gates from your number of 182 to 245, for a total of just 63 new gates.

The new design is modeled to rival delta's hub in Atlanta. It's essentially a Delta hub laid on top of the old terminals 1 and 2. Nothing outrageous compared to what's being built in Dubai, Beijing, etc.

The numbers are also modest, a million flights per year (compared to the current 900K and 90-100 million passengers, compared to the current 70 million).

I really think this terminal is doable with 3 billion dollars, minus road improvements and/or western access. Perhaps the new United/Continental would be interested in something like this, if they don't, another city WILL build something similar and take the traffic.

Ah ok. I counted the regional jet concourse as having gates on both sides, I assumed you just forgot to put them or something. But since it was intentional, I think it would be better to shorten that middle concourse and have gates on both sides. It could be extended in the future if the capacity was needed.

Kngkyle Nov 23, 2010 12:30 AM

I decided to have a go at designing a new terminal as well. :D

I went with the similar design to Atlanta because I think it works perfectly and allows for easy expansion if needed. This terminal would be for all Star Alliance carriers and would have immigration and customs making the T5 arrivals unnecessary.

http://kngkyle.com/uploads/2010-11-22_1912.png

My inspiration for putting the widebody gates first comes from the McNamara terminal in Detroit. As you walk into the gate area you look into the eyes of a pair of 747s. International ops are the pride and glory of the airport and airline and should be shown off with this sort of grand entrance. 14 widebody gates is probably more than is needed but they can always be used for smaller aircraft. (unlike the reverse)

In this layout, concourses A B C D have a total of 153 gates. That would be an increase of 72 gates which is a bit much. So to start off they could just build A B C to start and build D and on as needed.

I know this will never happen but we can dream. ;)

chiphile Nov 23, 2010 11:39 PM

^ And the winner is..... simplicity!

Nice job, goes with the current design without major changes and can actually be done with the current layout.

I like the idea of the big jets in the front, but for domestic business travelers who want the minimum distance between the road and their flights that may not be good.

Flights to NYC and DC may also want to be in concourse A for the aforementioned reason.

Otherwise I'll take your design over mine any day. I don't see why they couldn't easily build another midfield concourse west of the current concourse C.

Jenner Nov 24, 2010 5:17 AM

Something similar was proposed in the Master plan. You can look at the alternatives section, and Section 6 has something close to the above.

The major problem is the clearance for runway 4L/22R, as that runway would be unusable now. That would mean that you don't have parallel crosswind runways. Also the lack of a major taxiway between the concourses would mean that arriving airplanes may have to take long trips around the concourses to taxi.

I have some other ideas for terminal 2. Perhaps in the next couple of days I'll post those.

Kngkyle Nov 24, 2010 5:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenner (Post 5067648)
Something similar was proposed in the Master plan. You can look at the alternatives section, and Section 6 has something close to the above.

The major problem is the clearance for runway 4L/22R, as that runway would be unusable now. That would mean that you don't have parallel crosswind runways. Also the lack of a major taxiway between the concourses would mean that arriving airplanes may have to take long trips around the concourses to taxi.

I have some other ideas for terminal 2. Perhaps in the next couple of days I'll post those.

Ah you are right. I completely overlooked 4L/22R. I don't see how the taxiways are an issue though. Perhaps I will redesign something that wouldn't require the decommission of 4L/22R, which isn't gonna happen.

spyguy Nov 30, 2010 1:27 AM

This caught my eye:

2010/11/28 United Airlines Terminal Renovation airport terminal renovation Zemke Blvd, Chicago, IL 60666, USA Cook

Bidclerk doesn't provide much:

Renovation of a transportation facility in Chicago. Completed plans call for the extensive renovation of an airport terminal. ...

Anyone have a clue?

F1 Tommy Nov 30, 2010 1:53 AM

E/F-concourse.

denizen467 Nov 30, 2010 11:23 AM

Zemke is way up north near the long-term parking. Maybe this is about UA's cargo or maintenance hangars.

bnk Dec 5, 2010 6:19 AM

I do not believe it myself but I will post this here nonetheless.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1638524.story

Magazine says O'Hare best airport in North America

Associated Press

6:07 AM CST, December 4, 2010

CHICAGO

It may surprise some of the hordes of passengers passing through O'Hare International Airport, but the Chicago Department of Aviation says the facility has been once again won Global Traveler's award for "Best Airport in North America."

The department says O'Hare has now won the magazine's award every year since 2005, and notes that the airport won a similar award from Business Traveler every year from 2000 to 2004.

Global Traveler says O'Hare was recognized by business travelers who participated in a survey conducted between January and August of this year. The magazine says its readers are frequent premium travelers who average 16 round-trip international and 16 domestic flights a year.

ardecila Dec 5, 2010 1:26 PM

I guess the City That Works also has an airport That Works.

Most regular schmoes hate the size and complexity of O'Hare, but you gotta admire its efficiency. Atlanta may have more travelers passing through the airport, but that's inflated by layovers. I think O'Hare has many, many more passengers actually arriving and departing from the terminals to destinations in Chicago and the region. That means far more security lines, bag checking, a much bigger ground transportation system, etc.

The airport does a seemingly good job with this - I got through security on last Monday (one of the busiest of the year) in 20 minutes.

Many of the worst issues with O'Hare's operations were solved by the last new runway. The other new ones will strengthen the system even more. Any remaining issues are caused by the weather, which is hardly a factor in the control of O'Hare's planners and ATCs.

I think the airlines are right, on some level - a new Western Terminal isn't needed. The city just needs to improve the ground transportation system to GET people to the airport faster. If this means a Western Transportation Hub with a subway/people mover extension, then that's cool.

spyguy Dec 6, 2010 11:52 PM

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Chicago Becomes Cathay Pacific's Next U.S. Destination
6 December 2010

Cathay Pacific will launch daily nonstop passenger service between Hong Kong and Chicago on Sept. 1, 2011. The route will be served by a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Chicago will be the airline’s first new American destination since 1998. The carrier currently serves Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco in the United States with more than 50 flights per week.

...Cathay Pacific flight CX807 will depart Chicago daily at 3:25 p.m. Central and arrive in Hong Kong at 8 p.m. local the next day. Flight CX806 will depart Hong Kong at 11:45 a.m. local time and arrive Chicago at 1:45 p.m. Central time the same day.

nomarandlee Dec 6, 2010 11:57 PM

:previous: :banana: United is getting some competition. CP's entry would seem to be a good indicator that Uniteds HNK-ORD route is very strong

saxman Dec 7, 2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5083213)
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Chicago Becomes Cathay Pacific's Next U.S. Destination
6 December 2010

Cathay Pacific will launch daily nonstop passenger service between Hong Kong and Chicago on Sept. 1, 2011. The route will be served by a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Chicago will be the airline’s first new American destination since 1998. The carrier currently serves Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco in the United States with more than 50 flights per week.

...Cathay Pacific flight CX807 will depart Chicago daily at 3:25 p.m. Central and arrive in Hong Kong at 8 p.m. local the next day. Flight CX806 will depart Hong Kong at 11:45 a.m. local time and arrive Chicago at 1:45 p.m. Central time the same day.

Perhaps to feed into the AA hub at Chicago. Cathay is a Oneworld member.

F1 Tommy Dec 8, 2010 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 5084373)

Yup, but AA better increase its seats into ORD back up to 2005 levels if they want to keep up with UAL and support the connecting traffic. Cathay Pacific also already has several daily cargo flights into ORD using 747 equipement. Now if Singapore will only come back with passenger service(Singapore also has a 747 cargo flight daily to ORD).

ChicagoChicago Dec 8, 2010 2:38 AM

I like O'Hare's terminal efficiency. However, I HATE the transportation setup. The trains are too far away and most of the moving walkways don't work. The rental car locations are a nightmare. I've flown 50 segments through O'Hare alone this year, and the travel options all suck, with the exception of getting a cab. Cabs are always easy.

denizen467 Dec 8, 2010 11:53 AM

^ Has a contractor been selected for the unified car rental facility building yet? Get that darn thing going already.

denizen467 Dec 8, 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 5084373)

Does AA already fly DFW to HKG? If not, then it's interesting that CX didn't pick DFW - shows how much more SE Asia demand there is in Midwest/East versus the Southwest/Southeast. (Not surprising I guess.)

Rail Claimore Dec 9, 2010 6:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5085163)
Does AA already fly DFW to HKG? If not, then it's interesting that CX didn't pick DFW - shows how much more SE Asia demand there is in Midwest/East versus the Southwest/Southeast.

AA's only Asia service out of DFW is 2x daily to NRT. It's geography more than anything else: Why connect in DFW when ORD gives you almost as many connection options without having to backtrack back north? And CX already serves LAX and SFO, neither of which are major One World hubs to begin with. Not to mention SFO is a much more convenient transfer point for Star Alliance passengers originating at IAH, which serves the metro area and greater region (Gulf Coast) that has the largest SE Asian population in the Sunbelt outside of Southern California.

Regardless, this is great news for Chicago, and a bit of an eye-opener. Did not see this one coming, but it makes a lot of sense.

Sonofsoma Dec 20, 2010 1:38 PM

Crain's Chicago Business article published 12/20 2010
GROUND STOP AT O"HARE?

"United Airlines is pressing Mayor Richard M. Daley to slow the expansion of O'Hare International Airport.

In recent weeks, representatives of Chicago-based United urged city officials to scrap the 2014 target completion date for the $8-billion project, delaying construction of two new runways until air traffic increases."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-stop-at-ohare

electricron Dec 20, 2010 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofsoma (Post 5099422)
Crain's Chicago Business article published 12/20 2010
GROUND STOP AT O"HARE?

"United Airlines is pressing Mayor Richard M. Daley to slow the expansion of O'Hare International Airport.

In recent weeks, representatives of Chicago-based United urged city officials to scrap the 2014 target completion date for the $8-billion project, delaying construction of two new runways until air traffic increases."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-stop-at-ohare

While I'll agree in principle that delaying expansion until it's needed is a great idea, I do have a problem when just one major airline suggests so. It could be they want to delay expansion because they wish to delay new competition entering this hub. I would feel much better with any delay if more airlines express the same opinion.

10023 Dec 20, 2010 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5099569)
While I'll agree in principle that delaying expansion until it's needed is a great idea, I do have a problem when just one major airline suggests so. It could be they want to delay expansion because they wish to delay new competition entering this hub. I would feel much better with any delay if more airlines express the same opinion.

How very perceptive of you.

I can't imagine a circumstance under which more runway capacity is anything but good for travelers.

ardecila Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5099569)

Did you read the article? AA is also rejecting the timetable.

O'Hare will be going from 6 mostly intersecting runways to 8, with 4 parallel runways and 2 pairs of crosswind runways.

Adding additional runways beyond that really only makes sense in the context of an additional terminal, populated by additional airlines.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a western transportation concourse with parking facilities and transit linkages. I'm not sure that new gates and even more runways are a good use of money, though.

k1052 Dec 21, 2010 5:29 PM

The city should cut a deal partially complete the next set runway work in exchange for shelving the balance and Western Terminal until the airport starts hitting certain passenger traffic levels. Further the airlines should consent to fees that would fund refurbishments of the concourses that need it and the construction of the economy lot garage and extension of the ATS to lot F and the Metra connection.

Metra should also be leaned on to make some real use of the NCS line and provide regular express service to the O'Hare Transfer out of Union Station and actually make the trip in less than the 29 minutes it takes now.

denizen467 Dec 31, 2010 3:45 AM

FedEx's replacement facility in the cargo area of the airfield is nearly done. After several months of installing and calibrating their labyrinth of conveyor belts, they will move in around late spring. The existing facility is right in the middle of one of the new runways that is now about halfway built (kind of painfully obvious in the recent satellite photos on Google), so it will be levelled, along with a couple of other cargo facilities. (The new FedEx facility is the one with the green roof in the satellite photos, next to Resthaven Cemetery (or what is left of Resthaven Cemetery I guess).)

I am curious when the rail line passing by this (sorry, not sure which freight co, but it is the one that crosses over Irving Pk Rd) will be relocated.

denizen467 Dec 31, 2010 4:04 AM

^ Actually I just realized something interesting. That rail line has already been shifted recently. It used to run between Resthaven and St Johannes, in a gentle S curve. Now it runs south of the cemeteries, and has a sharper curve.

So the question is, will they re-route it a 2nd time when the time comes to build the far south runway -- that runway is planned to intersect the current route of the rail line. The only other option would be to bury the freight line into a trench underneath the runway, which I suspect is a non-starter.

Jenner Jan 2, 2011 6:37 AM

I would imagine that they would have to reroute it again for the final proposed solution, as well as reroute Irving Park Rd.

I've been busy with many designs for Terminal 2 rework, that I've finally uploaded them to a flickr page. There would be too many images to paste here. The page is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/36457406@N07/?saved=1. Perhaps someone affiliated with O'Hare may be interested in the designs.

ardecila Jan 2, 2011 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5109661)
So the question is, will they re-route it a 2nd time when the time comes to build the far south runway -- that runway is planned to intersect the current route of the rail line. The only other option would be to bury the freight line into a trench underneath the runway, which I suspect is a non-starter.

When they build 10R-28L, they will relocate the railroad a second time. I believe the new alignment will be built as soon as they finish demolition and environmental-remediation work, at the same time as the new Irving Park Road, and the grade separation at York/Irving Park (which will carry both CP and the new UP tracks over Irving Park).

I'm guessing the interim UP tracks have wooden ties and jointed tracks (large plates connect each segment of rail) instead of the modern, more expensive continuously-welded rail. Just a bit of rail geekery, but that would be a good sign that the current alignment is temporary.

ChiPsy Jan 9, 2011 1:17 PM

Crain's Chicago Business reported some big news about the O'Hare modernization project to subscribers yesterday -- I got the teaser in my email, but I can't find where I pulled up the story (it was on my iPhone). Anybody with a subscription care to enlighten us?

If I remember right, it was that the city is going to circumvent the airlines by issuing bonds with a repayment period to begin after the (2018 or so?) airlines-veto-power agreement rather than after the bond-funded construction is complete. The markets would have to buy the idea (I seem to remember that that could coalesce as soon as this week) and the courts would have to approve, if the airlines challenge it.

What I don't remember, or never got from the article, is how much of Daley's original plan would be completed if this flies.

spyguy Feb 9, 2011 10:32 PM

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...n-america.html

O’Hare deal would open gates for Virgin America
By Julie Johnsson

The city of Chicago has struck a deal with Delta Air Lines that could pave the way for upstart Virgin America to begin service at O’Hare International Airport.

A proposed ordinance introduced by Mayor Daley in city council Wednesday would give the city control over the L concourse gates in Terminal 3. The gates have been largely vacant since Nov. 17, 2009, when Delta shifted its operations at O’Hare to merger partner Northwest Airline’s base in Terminal 2.

ardecila Feb 10, 2011 9:38 AM

I wonder if this will give the city leverage over the airlines in the expansion debate?

If the city loses, at least we get Virgin America flights. :shrug:

nomarandlee Feb 21, 2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...2409533.column

Proposal would link airport with Union Station, points downstate

Jon Hilkevitch

Getting Around

4:46 p.m. CST, February 20, 2011

In the future, one of the carriers serving travelers at O'Hare International Airport may be Amtrak.

Gov. Pat Quinn has asked Amtrak CEO Joseph Boardman to conduct a study examining what it would take, logistically and financially, to commence fast, nonstop passenger rail service between Chicago Union Station and O'Hare, your Getting Around reporter has learned.

The governor envisions the proposed rail line, which at this point is strictly conceptual, as offering a more extensive reach than the O'Hare branch of the CTA Blue Line, which runs between the Loop and the airport, and Mayor Richard Daley's plan for premium "Airport Express" service between the uncompleted Block 37 "super station" downtown and O'Hare.

Quinn's plan certainly would not resemble the impractical idea for a bullet train to O'Hare that Daley toted home last year after he rode a magnetic levitation train in Shanghai. The Shanghai Transrapid maglev train must start braking shortly after reaching its top speed of 268 mph, and it doesn't even go into downtown Shanghai.

But Quinn does see opportunities to build a synergistic connection between O'Hare, which serves tens of millions of air travelers each year, and state efforts to draw customers to the 110 mph passenger rail corridors it is constructing, beginning with the 284-mile route between Chicago and St. Louis.
Downtown Chicago and O'Hare represent the two largest employment centers in Illinois, creating a perfect setting for a premier trains-to-planes service that would attract new employers and riders, Quinn said............

The Amtrak study that Quinn requested will include discussions with CN/Wisconsin Central and Metra, said John Webber, a spokesman for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Another potential setback for the rail link is that the Chicago Department of Aviation has at least temporarily shelved plans for a western airline terminal under the city's O'Hare Modernization Program. In addition to providing aircraft gates, the western terminal was envisioned as including facilities for rail connections to Metra and the Blue Line, as well as to a proposed extension of the People Mover airport transit system that would link the western terminal to the main terminal complex.

Despite the hurdles, Amtrak officials are enthusiastic about exploring the proposal, said Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari..........
click on link

ardecila Feb 21, 2011 1:58 AM

The CN line can probably be expanded to four tracks between Franklin Park Junction and the O'Hare Transfer Station. Two of those tracks would be dedicated to passenger service. This is less than 2 miles of track, so it shouldn't be too expensive - most of it is three or four tracks already. Once at the O'Hare Transfer Station, a people-mover extension will take passengers to the terminal, as per the existing plans.

If CN refuses to play ball, then Amtrak can expand the now-pathetic Mannheim station on the UP-W, or build a new station in the O'Hare cargo area near Irving Park Road, and run bus shuttles to the terminal.

Option 3 has trains going up the west side of the airport to a station at York/Thorndale, where passengers would board a subway extension of the people-mover. O'Hare Master Plan calls for the underground people-mover to be separate from the existing one, but I think that's pretty wasteful. The advantage of Option 3 is that it lays the groundwork for a Western Terminal without the huge expense. The transfer point between the rail and people-mover could be tied into a kiss-and-ride at the end of the future Elgin-O'Hare.

ardecila Feb 21, 2011 2:23 AM

Speaking of the Elgin-O'Hare...

The plans for the east extension/airport bypass are progressing.

The initial phase now will widen the existing Elgin-O'Hare to a 6-lane cross section, and the newly-constructed expressways will have 4-lane cross sections. There will be a minimum of new ramps at interchanges, and minor changes to allow for bus service in the shoulders.

The second phase will widen the entire system of highways to a 10-lane cross section, with 8 general-purpose lanes and 2 bus lanes. The north leg will have rail in the form of the STAR line instead of bus lanes, so that's technically an 8-lane cross section.

Roadway costs for the first phase are roughly $2.5 billion... IDOT has done a tolling study and found that they can issue $1.25 billion in bonds based on expected toll revenue. That leaves the remaining 50% of the cost to be borne by the Feds and/or the state budget (ha!)

spyguy Feb 22, 2011 4:40 AM

Fairly recent aerial shot of O'Hare
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2179/ohare.jpg
Jun Seita/ flickr

Notice the remains of Bensenville in the bottom left hand corner

BVictor1 Feb 23, 2011 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5174094)
Fairly recent aerial shot of O'Hare
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2179/ohare.jpg
Jun Seita/ flickr

Notice the remains of Bensenville in the bottom left hand corner

Reminds me of the pentagon without the actual building.

DCCliff Feb 27, 2011 9:23 PM

"The CN line can probably be expanded to four tracks between Franklin Park Junction and the O'Hare Transfer Station. Two of those tracks would be dedicated to passenger service. This is less than 2 miles of track, so it shouldn't be too expensive - most of it is three or four tracks already. Once at the O'Hare Transfer Station, a people-mover extension will take passengers to the terminal, as per the existing plans.

If CN refuses to play ball, then Amtrak can expand the now-pathetic Mannheim station on the UP-W, or build a new station in the O'Hare cargo area near Irving Park Road, and run bus shuttles to the terminal.

Option 3 has trains going up the west side of the airport to a station at York/Thorndale, where passengers would board a subway extension of the people-mover. O'Hare Master Plan calls for the underground people-mover to be separate from the existing one, but I think that's pretty wasteful. The advantage of Option 3 is that it lays the groundwork for a Western Terminal without the huge expense. The transfer point between the rail and people-mover could be tied into a kiss-and-ride at the end of the future Elgin-O'Hare."

Everything possible should be done to vet all possibilities of building a one-seat ride to the terminals (a la Heathrow) - even if this means electrification. Value and usage of a transfer ride will inevitably be lower.

ardecila Mar 1, 2011 2:40 AM

I don't think it's realistic to build a new line into the very cramped East Terminals. There's no room above ground. If the city manages to get a West Terminal built, it's pretty easy to bring a high-speed rail line into there.

If direct access to the East Terminals is essential, then the city needs to use the existing Blue Line tracks, either by building express tracks on the Blue Line or by somehow building a track connection between the Blue Line and the freight rail network.

Jenner Mar 3, 2011 6:02 AM

While Amtrak could use the existing Metra lines (MD-N, and CN tracks), they could possibly tunnel some tracks to O'Hare, about where the CN tracks meet the Blue line. The tunnel would take them to the eastern campus, with a possible option to go further if a western terminal is opened.

I'm not sure that such a project would be feasible. Such service would have to have the ridership, as well as sustainable income. Additionally, using the MD-N tracks mean that you have several at-grade crossings, which would make it difficult to maintain a high speed corridor, as well as frequent trips. I'm guessing that O'Hare to downtown would probably take 20 minutes. You would at least need 2 trains running this corridor assuming you wait every 20-25 minutes for a train.