SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

ec1983 Apr 20, 2017 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 7777214)
Anybody have any information on the Coleman's Supermarket that was supposed to be opening on the corner of Torbay Rd and NL Drive?

Seems to me, it must be dead in the water, because it has to be over a year now since the Leased signs went up, but there has been no action on that space ever since.

I don't know about the opening date but I can confirm that there should be movement on this one very soon. It definitely isn't dead in the water.

ec1983 Apr 20, 2017 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7778569)
Looks like construction is started on the parking garage for Avalon Mall. The entire parking lot at the corner of Thorburn and O'Leary is removed.

Does anyone think there is a mall expansion or revamp planned following the completion of the garage. They are adding almost 700 spaces to the total parking. I'm betting they will be expanding the mall into the parking lot adjacent to Sears.

KAO79 Apr 20, 2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1983 (Post 7779052)
Does anyone think there is a mall expansion or revamp planned following the completion of the garage. They are adding almost 700 spaces to the total parking. I'm betting they will be expanding the mall into the parking lot adjacent to Sears.

There is definitely a mall expansion in the works... the new parking garage is just the tip of the iceberg. Don't expect anything right away though :-)

PoscStudent Apr 21, 2017 11:01 PM

I didn't realize but Golf Town on White Rose Drive closed last year. I was in their parking lot earlier and noticed that it was shut down. Turns out it shut down last October though.

Arrakis Apr 24, 2017 3:51 PM

Some interesting news about the Irving Big Stop in Goobies.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...8&filter=5599t

J_Murphy Apr 26, 2017 11:25 AM

Avalon Mall in early stages of multimillion-dollar, multi-year redevelopment

Quote:

The Avalon Mall celebrated 50 years of operation on Tuesday, and patrons will be excited to learn of some major developments already in the works that will set up the province’s largest shopping centre for another 50 years.

Marcel Elliott, regional leasing and property manager for mall owners Crombie Reit, confirmed rumours of a significant redevelopment project over the next four to five years.
“I can’t put a dollar amount on it, but I can tell you it’s multi-multimillion for sure,” Elliott says.

Work on one major infrastructure project is already well underway on O’Leary Avenue, where an existing overflow parking lot will be replaced with a four-storey parkade. When completed in 18 to 24 months, it will provide mall users with 580 new covered parking spots and 850 in total on that side of the mall.

Elliott admits it will put a strain on parking issues at the mall, but they’re already at work establishing a plan on how to use other lands under Crombie Reit’s ownership — namely Woodgate Plaza and the Kenmount Business Centre — to alleviate some of those issues.

Those two properties are part of the longer-term mall redevelopment plan, but at least one anchor tenant will remain.
“Toys ‘R’ Us are there and they’re going to be there forever, whether it gets modified or expanded, we’re not really sure how that looks,” he says.

The four- to five-year plan will also address traffic issues on the mall parking lot, and is likely to include a new entrance to the main parking areas off Kenmount Road.

The Avalon Mall has seen a few renovations since it first opened its doors in 1967, some cosmetic in nature, some much more involved. A second floor was added in 1977 and expanded in 1987. In more recent years, there have been other additions, including the new movie theatres, Winners Homesense, the O’Leary Avenue parking area and skywalk, a redesign on the food court entrance, Dollarama and a suite of box stores built or renovated in the east and west ends of the main parking area.

As for inside the mall, which currently houses about 140 tenants, Elliott admits the national retail landscape has slowed in recent years due to the economic climate, and while sluggish here, interest in the Avalon Mall remains consistent.

“The vacancy rate here, historically for the last decade, has been very, very low, so we’ve always had a list of people trying to get here. We’re trying to bring the right people in and trying to bring in tenants that people want.”

To that extent, Elliott says mall management is very “picky and choosy” with who it brings into the fold.

“We’ve had some vacancy in the food court and we’ve been waiting it out to get the right tenants, as opposed to the first food vendor to come along.

“That’s always been the philosophy.”

Tuesday also marked the final day of operation for the Gap store. Elliot says the space is likely to be redeveloped into a space for three or four tenants.

“We are certainly talking to a bunch of different tenants. We have some deals confirmed with new tenants and we are also working to provide some of our current stores with bigger locations than what they have now,” Elliott says, adding that the storefront vacated by HMV last month is already set to become the new home of an existing tenant.

“We’re kind of working on a whole remerchandising mix of new and existing tenants getting new spaces, renovated spaces, bigger spaces.”

Tuesday may have been the mall’s technical birthday, but Elliott says they’ll wait until May 13 — Mother’s Day weekend — to celebrate with community groups in a more substantial way that includes a blend of nostalgia, food and entertainment. More details will be available at shopavalonmall.com in the coming weeks.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...ti-year-r.html

JCE Apr 30, 2017 2:21 PM

Quote:

Anybody have any information on the Coleman's Supermarket that was supposed to be opening on the corner of Torbay Rd and NL Drive?

Seems to me, it must be dead in the water, because it has to be over a year now since the Leased signs went up, but there has been no action on that space ever since.

Its listed on the Inventory of Major Capital Projects for 2017.
http://www.economics.gov.nl.ca/E2017...alProjects.pdf

2017 - Colemans - remodel of an existing 33,000 sq. ft. space to create a modern food market. (St. John's)

jeddy1989 May 8, 2017 1:25 AM

Here's a render of the new parking garage u/c at the Avalon mall. It was on a temporary wall they put up blocking the stairs to where the skywalk was.

https://scontent.fyqm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2f&oe=5984F147

jjavman May 8, 2017 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7797973)
Here's a render of the new parking garage u/c at the Avalon mall. It was on a temporary wall they put up blocking the stairs to where the skywalk was.

https://scontent.fyqm1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2f&oe=5984F147

O'Leary Ave. never looked so good ;-)

J_Murphy May 8, 2017 5:45 PM

Looks good! Now if only something like this can make an appearance at the hospital and the airport!

Offshore1 May 8, 2017 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7798581)
Looks good! Now if only something like this can make an appearance at the hospital and the airport!

For sure, a parking garage desperately needed at both places you mention. :)

Arrakis May 10, 2017 10:16 AM

Big redevelopment news for Avalon Mall announced in today's Telegrepam.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...velopment.html

Marty_Mcfly May 10, 2017 2:04 PM

An interior overhaul is long overdue. The storefronts look nice, sure, but the common areas have been stuck in the 70s for a very long time. New tile, new lighting, and all that sort of stuff will do the mall a lot of good.

I mentioned to jeddy a few days ago that it'd also be nice to see the Sears facade completely overhauled into something you'd see this century. I suspect though it won't happen until Sears closes down. I also suspect, at that point, that the sears store will be broken down into a large number of smaller stores, seeing as getting a large anchor tenant will probably be next to impossible.

Arrakis May 10, 2017 11:35 PM

Totally agree with ya there. The Sears facade is literally 50 years old now. Time for that stone to go.

Also makes sense to chop up the Sears space once that store finally throws in the towel. I would put a couple of big box stores there. Perhaps that's how they'll eventually get H&M and Forver 21 and those other sough after chains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 7800751)
An interior overhaul is long overdue. The storefronts look nice, sure, but the common areas have been stuck in the 70s for a very long time. New tile, new lighting, and all that sort of stuff will do the mall a lot of good.

I mentioned to jeddy a few days ago that it'd also be nice to see the Sears facade completely overhauled into something you'd see this century. I suspect though it won't happen until Sears closes down. I also suspect, at that point, that the sears store will be broken down into a large number of smaller stores, seeing as getting a large anchor tenant will probably be next to impossible.

tylerTUBE May 12, 2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

There's now fencing up around the new Coleman's building, I live next door to it so I'll keep us updated on what happens as the weeks progress

rthomasd May 19, 2017 3:11 PM

Application for a sign at 650 Topsail Rd by Dollarama, there's been some reno activity there lately. Could this be a move from the Village, or just a road sign?
Haven't seen any mention of a tenant for the old Home Hardware. It's a great location.

Sox May 24, 2017 3:26 PM

Fantastic !
Just what we need --- another friggin dollar store !
I hope they combine it with a Tim Horton's and a Tattoo parlour --- to make the ultimate St.John's shopping experience.

Sense my sarcasm ?

Arrakis Jun 5, 2017 8:11 PM

I guess this may explain why it took so long for the Burger King to be built along Ropewalk Lane.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lane-1.4143923

jjavman Jun 5, 2017 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7825515)
I guess this may explain why it took so long for the Burger King to be built along Ropewalk Lane.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lane-1.4143923

Yep!
Of course there are 2 sides to every story, but $50K for a crosswalk???
Originally quoted at $71K !!! :hell:
Not to mention $20K for a fire hydrant with 2 directly across the street.

Sounds to me like he pissed off some functionary at City Hall in the past, and got put on a revenge list.

colinpeddle Jun 6, 2017 1:38 PM

The arse is being ripped out of the old Target building. They're removing the bricks from what appears to be the entire backside.