SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman Feb 13, 2013 3:49 AM

^^It's International Style...I like it personally, but that wasn't my point. If image is what they're going for (which is, as I understand it), this misses the mark. Not a bad building, just not iconic. Guess I expected it to be taller, and more exciting. Hard to do at 15 floors. Also looks like the building already there at the ballpark. That said, I like it at street level...a little like their current building.

mello Feb 13, 2013 7:55 PM

Once again with this Cisterra building.... Hello Mixed Use anyone? Why can't they add 15 floors of condos to the top? Floor plate size? What is the issue. Like Leo the Dog said the inventory on condos downtown right now is almost ZERO... Why aren't developers moving forward with all those towers that died years ago. Now is the time to build while money is still cheap. I just don't understand why there isn't more construction activity and why mixed use isn't being considered for this site.

Derek Feb 13, 2013 8:06 PM

Why aren't there more apartment developments in downtown San Diego?

spoonman Feb 13, 2013 11:47 PM

I believe there are a pretty good amount of apartments, but not as many as condos. Isn't Blue Sky apartments? That plus Vantage Point and Treo are easily over 2,000 units, just in 3 buildings.

From the digging around I've done, it seems like condo building is definately on the upswing. Bosa is still chipping away, there are 2 projects in Little Italy, and 2+ in EV currently under construction. It appears many more have sought approval recently.

Derek Feb 14, 2013 12:13 AM

I guess I'm just use to Portland construction patterns now, we have tons and tons of new apartment buildings popping up, but not many condo buildings. :)

SDfan Feb 14, 2013 7:09 AM

We should see more activity within the next year. Unfortunately a lot of the previous projects proposed before the recessions are now being re-processed as smaller projects now.

aerogt3 Feb 14, 2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6013528)
Once again with this Cisterra building.... Hello Mixed Use anyone? Why can't they add 15 floors of condos to the top? Floor plate size? What is the issue. Like Leo the Dog said the inventory on condos downtown right now is almost ZERO... Why aren't developers moving forward with all those towers that died years ago. Now is the time to build while money is still cheap. I just don't understand why there isn't more construction activity and why mixed use isn't being considered for this site.

Inventory is definitely zero. I think the reason nothing is going up 1.) they are going up, they're just not in construction phase, so it's coming soon. 2.) developers may not be confident that things will be the same upon completion in 2-3 years. Remember the buildings that came on the market right as everything exploded in 2008? :eek:

Why mixed use isn't utilized more is beyond me :koko:

S.DviaPhilly Feb 14, 2013 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6013905)
I believe there are a pretty good amount of apartments, but not as many as condos. Isn't Blue Sky apartments? That plus Vantage Point and Treo are easily over 2,000 units, just in 3 buildings.

From the digging around I've done, it seems like condo building is definately on the upswing. Bosa is still chipping away, there are 2 projects in Little Italy, and 2+ in EV currently under construction. It appears many more have sought approval recently.

Treo is not rentals, they are condos. Plus they are building Ariel Suites in Little Italy (32 stories), the 6 story apartment complex at 13th and Market is almost all framed out, they broke ground on another 6 story apartment complex behind Albertsons at 15th and Market, not sure if the towers at 15th and Island were converted to rentals, but construction has started there, and they knocked down all the buildings except the restaurant supply store to start building that 5 story building at Park and G st. I think there are enough rental complexes going up. So far there are ZERO condo projects that are in the construction phase.

I think the 1st one that will start is the Bosa building in front of Electra later this year. Right now there are 148 condos for sale in 92101. I do not understand why more construction has not begun either on condos?!?! Construction costs are down and it is not like they will finish a highrise in months, its going to take years to complete. I think they should consider converting Strata at 10th and Market from rentals to condos!

Urbanize_It Feb 14, 2013 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 6014635)
Treo is not rentals, they are condos. Plus they are building Ariel Suites in Little Italy (32 stories), the 6 story apartment complex at 13th and Market is almost all framed out, they broke ground on another 6 story apartment complex behind Albertsons at 15th and Market, not sure if the towers at 15th and Island were converted to rentals, but construction has started there, and they knocked down all the buildings except the restaurant supply store to start building that 5 story building at Park and G st. I think there are enough rental complexes going up. So far there are ZERO condo projects that are in the construction phase.

I think the 1st one that will start is the Bosa building in front of Electra later this year. Right now there are 148 condos for sale in 92101. I do not understand why more construction has not begun either on condos?!?! Construction costs are down and it is not like they will finish a highrise in months, its going to take years to complete. I think they should consider converting Strata at 10th and Market from rentals to condos!

Drove by 15th and Island this morning…the crane is going up!!! I think this tower and adjacent park will be huge for the area. So excited! :D

spoonman Feb 14, 2013 7:07 PM

15th & Island is 45 floors...nice

http://ccdc.com/scripts/gis/webporta...d.aspx?id=1065

spoonman Feb 14, 2013 7:42 PM

As I understand it, the airport height limit does not extend to the area east of the 5/south of the 94. As buildings like 15th & Island are pushing east, does anyone know if it will be possible to build taller in that area (Sherman Heights, etc)?

SDfan Feb 15, 2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6014958)

This project is going to anchor the Eastern side of East Village. So excited!

SDfan Feb 15, 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6015033)
As I understand it, the airport height limit does not extend to the area east of the 5/south of the 94. As buildings like 15th & Island are pushing east, does anyone know if it will be possible to build taller in that area (Sherman Heights, etc)?

:hahano:

No. Never. Not going to happen. Golden Hill has a 3 story, 30 foot limit. Barrio Logan is struggling to figure out if anything over 6 stories is acceptable. I can guarantee you, Sherman Heights will be nooooooooooooo different. As tragic as that is.

:gaah:

S.DviaPhilly Feb 15, 2013 12:44 AM

Downtown Library

The Signage is up on the library!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps568b03e3.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps9ae4df2e.jpg

spoonman Feb 15, 2013 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6015466)
:hahano:

No. Never. Not going to happen. Golden Hill has a 3 story, 30 foot limit. Barrio Logan is struggling to figure out if anything over 6 stories is acceptable. I can guarantee you, Sherman Heights will be nooooooooooooo different. As tragic as that is.

:gaah:

Frustrating how hamstrung we are sometimes. Between all of the different airspace regulations, the coastal commission, and the NIMBY's, it's seemingly impossible to push past the limit anywhere. Maybe National City...lol

staplesla Feb 15, 2013 3:22 AM

Elaborate pedestrian tube proposed for Coronado Bay Bridge

San Diego County officials are examining an elaborate addition to the Coronado Bay Bridge -- a two-mile bike and pedestrian path suspended underneath the bridge.

"I think it would be something that people would come to want to ride, like going to the St. Louis Arch or the Seattle Space Needle," said local architect Lew Dominy.

Dominy said the gigantic steel tube would cost roughly $50 million and be a part of the county's Bayshore Bikeway. The bikeway is already 60 percent finished, and when completed, it would be a continuous pathway around the southern part of San Diego Bay. The bridge tube would be a huge addition.

http://www.10news.com/news/elaborate...-bridge-021413

http://media.10news.com/photo/2013/0....0_320_240.jpg

spoonman Feb 15, 2013 3:42 AM

^^That's bizarre, but actually a really good concept.

kpexpress Feb 15, 2013 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6012635)
It's hard to look like a major player with a stumpy building like that. I prefer their current building. This looks too much like the Comerica building already at the ballpark. Would be nice if they could increase the height, and add a few office tenants or condos.

We all know that the spec-office market is not there....they're asking for the leniency to go between 14-17 floors.

kpexpress Feb 15, 2013 6:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 6013552)
Why aren't there more apartment developments in downtown San Diego?

What are you talking about? That's all that's being built in downtown San Diego right now. Blue Sky is 939 units. 13th/Market, 15th/Market, Ariel Suites, Urbana, Pinnacle, etc..... all apartments.

Derek Feb 15, 2013 6:51 AM

I guess I was thrown off by the recent condo talk mentioned the last couple pages.

I, unfortunately, don't check this thread as often as I used to since I moved so I'm not quite in the loop on ALL the projects. I apologize. :)