SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Chew Feb 26, 2014 2:04 PM

Cool. I didn't think the chatter about this would have reached the level where an official statement was warranted. Good to have an answer.

ThisIsJustePourDire Feb 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Just overheard from a Swiss Chalet employee (maybe the manager) while I was waiting in line for an hour that the new Swiss Chalet located in Mount Pearl will open sometime next week! Maybe this can resolve the long lines at this location. Also, the new location looks pretty small!

Gravelley Feb 27, 2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6469968)
Just overheard from a Swiss Chalet employee (maybe the manager) while I was waiting in line for an hour that the new Swiss Chalet located in Mount Pearl will open sometime next week! Maybe this can resolve the long lines at this location. Also, the new location looks pretty small!

The new location is actually bigger then you think, its the only westside charlies that was there which is about the same size as the new know on kelsey. You are right the construction is pretty much done from what i hear from people i know working on that job. I think staff is moving in this week to start training.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 27, 2014 10:44 PM

This doesn't really phase me much but Sephora is opening a store this summer in the Avalon Mall according to their twitter account. I know my girlfriend will be happy about it though :P

Gravelley Feb 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6472222)
This doesn't really phase me much but Sephora is opening a store this summer in the Avalon Mall according to their twitter account. I know my girlfriend will be happy about it though :P

Ya her and every other female in NL, i remember when victoria secrets opened how much they went nuts for that. In my opinion they need more selection for mens barley any selection to buy clothes or anything here. Hope the rumors are true about bannana republic opening up here one of the best customer service experience i have ever had in a retail store is always when i go in there stores.

J_Murphy Feb 28, 2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravelley (Post 6472948)
Ya her and every other female in NL, i remember when victoria secrets opened how much they went nuts for that. In my opinion they need more selection for mens barley any selection to buy clothes or anything here. Hope the rumors are true about bannana republic opening up here one of the best customer service experience i have ever had in a retail store is always when i go in there stores.

Shopping for mens clothes in this city sucks. I don't know where I'd be without RW and Co. as it has become really the only place I buy clothes now. I dont' know what is on the go with Banana Republic. They were supposed to open next to golf town but all those stores are being rented by other retailers. Whenever I go somewhere in the states with outlets, I usually stock up at this store.

wardo44 Feb 28, 2014 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravelley (Post 6471013)
The new location is actually bigger then you think, its the only westside charlies that was there which is about the same size as the new know on kelsey. You are right the construction is pretty much done from what i hear from people i know working on that job. I think staff is moving in this week to start training.

I hear that the restaurant opens on Monday.

Arrakis Mar 7, 2014 2:20 PM

Just reading that Staples is closing 225 stores across Canada and the US. I wonder if that will affect the 3 stores in the metro area here. I always wondered if we had too many Staples stores for an area the size of St. John's and metro?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle17341526/

SignalHillHiker Mar 7, 2014 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6472956)
Shopping for mens clothes in this city sucks. I don't know where I'd be without RW and Co. as it has become really the only place I buy clothes now. I dont' know what is on the go with Banana Republic. They were supposed to open next to golf town but all those stores are being rented by other retailers. Whenever I go somewhere in the states with outlets, I usually stock up at this store.

Check out JUNK on Water Street. Designer labels you won't find anywhere else in the city, or often Atlantic Canada.

Pricey, but worth it. Investment pieces. And some fun things - cool t-shirts, jeans, etc. as well.

Marty_Mcfly Mar 7, 2014 7:06 PM

I'm such a slim build that most of the nice clothing stores like RW&Co often don't carry anything that fits. I have to shop at stores designed for teenagers to find anything that fits well :haha:

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 11:05 AM

Wow, this seems like an interesting proposal. I didn't hear anything about this retail/office development.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...roperty-sale/1

J_Murphy Mar 11, 2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6488307)
Wow, this seems like an interesting proposal. I didn't hear anything about this retail/office development.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...roperty-sale/1

lol....we posted at the same time, but I put it in west end thread. Never thought to put it here. Did you notice the funny spelling error at the end? lol
"Pubic discussion"

SignalHillHiker Mar 11, 2014 11:10 AM

Looks good for the area. Densification is always a good thing.

Horsell Mar 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Looks good...for a strip mall. I guess this is why the recent amendment was put through to change the required setback for this property. The more of the ugly industrial and residential properties they can get rid of along Kenmount Rd, the better.

My only question is where are they going to get the retail tenants? I guess we haven't reached the saturation point yet.

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 12:46 PM

Yeah that typo is hilarious. Typical of the Telegram though. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6488310)
lol....we posted at the same time, but I put it in west end thread. Never thought to put it here. Did you notice the funny spelling error at the end? lol
"Pubic discussion"

SignalHillHiker Mar 11, 2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 6488332)
Looks good...for a strip mall. I guess this is why the recent amendment was put through to change the required setback for this property. The more of the ugly industrial and residential properties they can get rid of along Kenmount Rd, the better.

My only question is where are they going to get the retail tenants? I guess we haven't reached the saturation point yet.

It's too bad it's not up on Ladysmith. Between Kenmount Terrace, the entire town of Paradise, etc... we really need more mixed-use neighbourhoods up there.

It just terrifies to me to think that if I was living in Kenmount Terrace I would have to walk even just to get a can of pop.

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 1:03 PM

I know its crazy isn't it. But I guess the developers want to sell houses and are not interested in a better designed community nor is city council for that matter as they are the ones approving it and can require such business areas be put into the plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6488382)
It's too bad it's not up on Ladysmith. Between Kenmount Terrace, the entire town of Paradise, etc... we really need more mixed-use neighbourhoods up there.

It just terrifies to me to think that if I was living in Kenmount Terrace I would have to walk even just to get a can of pop.

statbass Apr 10, 2014 3:29 PM

I was at Coastal Outdoors a couple of days ago and overhead an employee talking to a customer about Coastal's plan to open a new store on Kenmount. I believe (not certain) that Coastal purchased a large parcel of land beside the Metro self storage building. From what I heard it will be a superstore of sorts, similar to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. *** Caveat *** This is speculative at best but I thought it was worth posting. This plan does seem to make sense given they're hard pressed for space at their current location. Also, given the fact that we have a large demographic of hunting/fishing/outdoors enthusiasts, it seems feasible to expand and tap into such a resource.

*** Edit ***
I just did some Internet searching and found this snippet from a development committee report on Oct 15, 2013:

Quote:

1. Approval-in-Principle for Proposed Recreational Supply Building
Coastal Outdoors
Applicant: Ron Fougere
800 Kenmount Road
Commercial Industrial (CI) Zone (Ward 2)
The Development Committee recommends that Council grant an Approval-in-Principle for the development, subject to the following conditions:
a. Compliance with the requirements of the Planning and Development Division;
b. The required Building Permits must be obtained from the City, prior to the commencement of any development;
c. This Development must meet the minimum parking requirements for the CI Zone for this type of occupancy;
d. There is a concept plan currently under development for this area for a possible
signalized roadway network, through which individual properties would access Kenmount Road, and would prohibit individual direct connections onto Kenmount Road. Therefore, the property access location will need to be modified at a later date in time to fall in line with the proposed development guidelines for the area; and
e. If the proponent wishes to connect to the Town of Paradise services, any limitations, upgrades or permissions must be obtained from that municipality.
http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...021%202013.pdf

so it looks as if there's a bit more to it than just speculation... interesting..... :cool:

Arrakis Apr 10, 2014 5:32 PM

Where is their existing store located? I can't say i have even heard of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6533413)
I was at Coastal Outdoors a couple of days ago and overhead an employee talking to a customer about Coastal's plan to open a new store on Kenmount. I believe (not certain) that Coastal purchased a large parcel
of land beside the Metro self storage building. From what I heard it will be a superstore of sorts, similar to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. *** Caveat *** This is speculative at best but I thought it was worth posting. This plan does seem to make sense given they're hard pressed for space at their current location. Also, given the fact that we have a large demographic of hunting/fishing/outdoors enthusiasts, it seems feasible to expand and tap into such a resource.

*** Edit ***
I just did some Internet searching and found this snippet from a development committee report on Oct 15, 2013:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...021%202013.pdf

so it looks as if there's a bit more to it than just speculation... interesting..... :cool:

statbass Apr 10, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6533697)
Where is their existing store located? I can't say i have even heard of it.

Here's the physical address: 1256 Topsail Rd, Mount Pearl

It's at the tail end of Mount Pearl just before you enter Paradise (the new Kenmount overpass). It's a blue color building, they have a lot full of trailers and campers you can see from the overpass. I take it you're not a part of the demographic I mentioned.... :haha:

Actually, here's the street view:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=active&ie=UTF-8&q=Coastal+Outdoors&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=coastal+outdoors&hnear=0x4b0ca38e6b0aa261:0x9e1fd4001f12261f,St.+John's,+NL&cid=12690904725807233560&ei=CtlGU_aeIar4yQGDvYH4DA&ved=0CHoQ_BIwCg