SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] The Pearl (1903 Gottingen) | 28 m | 8 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206450)

someone123 Jul 9, 2013 2:25 AM

[Halifax] The Pearl (1903 Gottingen) | 28 m | 8 fl | Completed

This is for the "H&R Block" building between Gottingen and Brunswick on Rainnie Drive. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2014.

Dmajackson Jul 9, 2013 3:20 AM

More renderings and floor plans courtesy of Halifax Planning; Introduction to Development Proposal for 5447 Rainnie Drive

Official height is 28 METRES!

I think it looks great. It has a unified exterior design with some accents to spice it up. Given the steep grade and unusual angle it meets the street the best it can.

someone123 Jul 9, 2013 3:38 AM

Here's the side elevation:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9844/trmd.png

RyeJay Jul 9, 2013 8:53 AM

I think this proposal looks cute!

Fischbob Jul 9, 2013 5:05 PM

Quote:

Glass building proposed near base of Citadel Hill
July 8, 2013 - 7:46pm REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter
Mixed-used, seven-storey structure would be neighbour to Halifax police HQ

A developer is looking to build a new mixed-use residential building at the base of Citadel Hill.

Nassim Ghosn, head of Grafton Developments Inc., has submitted a proposal to build the seven-storey, glass-enclosed building at 5447 Rainnie Dr., a project that could begin as early as this year.

The site, adjacent to Halifax Regional Police headquarters, houses a two-storey building, where an H&R Block office was located.

Because the proposal needs HRM By Design approval, it is possible that building demolition could begin in a few months time, said Wadih Fares, president of the W.M. Fares Group.

“I know that the developer really wanted to start as soon as possible,” Fares said.

“However, we have to go through the process. So we’re hoping that it’ll be finished in the next four to five months, and we’re really hoping that he can really get going in late fall.”

The building would include three levels of underground parking, 15,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and 68 apartments, including two penthouse suites.

“You’re going to have almost half being two-bedroom plus den, and then some two bedrooms, some one bedrooms,” Fares said.

The ground floor will have a mixture of office and retail space, he said.

Full Article: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ykeQHZ.twitter

Sounds like it's full steam ahead for this one!

Jonovision Oct 30, 2013 5:24 PM

Now that the thread has been dug back up.

Fence is up for demolition to begin soon.

halifaxboyns Oct 31, 2013 2:57 PM

Mixed use - very nice! Reminds me of a project I'm taking to planning commission here in Calgary next week for approval. Unfortunately their website only has the first version of the building, the final one is similar but with a few nicer elements. :)

bluenoser Oct 31, 2013 8:14 PM

Great news, thanks for the update. Looking forward to this to go along with all the Brunswick St. activity around the corner.

Even though this building is only 8 stories, it sits high enough that I think the penthouse will have a pretty spectacular view over most of downtown, as well as the harbour and Citadel Hill. I can't really tell, but it might be close to the same level as the fort, which would be interesting.

halifaxboyns Nov 4, 2013 5:46 PM

Now that the report is posted; this is the project I was mentioning that I was involved with in Calgary. It's pretty awesome I think although we don't include any colour renderings in the report.

Dmajackson Nov 9, 2013 3:39 AM

A revised proposal will be introduced to the Design Review Committee next week (November 14th, 2013). The same basic idea is present and the only variance requested for approval is regarding safety fencing on the green roof.

5445 Rainnie Drive (VERY LARGE FILE)

fenwick16 Nov 10, 2013 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 6332881)
A revised proposal will be introduced to the Design Review Committee next week (November 14th, 2013). The same basic idea is present and the only variance requested for approval is regarding safety fencing on the green roof.

5445 Rainnie Drive (VERY LARGE FILE)

A couple of renderings from the Citadel Hill perspective are given in the document. I think this is a fine looking building that should improve the view from the Citadel Hill.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/108...90/32/ns6i.jpg

Nouvellecosse Nov 10, 2013 6:21 AM

The only thing I'm not sure about is the curved roof element. I think I'd prefer it if it were a straight angular slant. That way it would kind of complement the angle of the wall.

RyeJay Nov 10, 2013 7:04 AM

I don't think I'd change anything about this proposal.
I'd love to live here, actually!

Keith P. Nov 10, 2013 2:27 PM

Better than what's there now is the best I can say about it.

Too bad the developers couldn't have done a deal to get the adjacent properties on the corner and next to the corner to fix up what are a couple of very unattractive buildings.

someone123 Nov 10, 2013 6:50 PM

Interesting rendering but the lighting looks unnatural and unflattering to me.

It could look a lot better if something good is built on the corner. Both of those office buildings along Brunswick are ugly. The one on the corner does a terrible job of adapting to the site it's on. That site is about half parking and yet there are only 20 or so spots because of the grade issues.

counterfactual Nov 10, 2013 8:12 PM

I like it, and it's obviously a lot better than what is currently there, but just think that's a prime piece of downtown real estate.

Wish there could be some more floors tacked on there, make better/efficient use of that location. I think this area is a natural area for greater density infill.

That said, my concerns could probably be allayed by some of someone123's suggestions. Just some better design around that corner, with the ugly surrounding buildings.

mcmcclassic Nov 11, 2013 2:38 PM

The H&R Block building on this site has been demolished. It came down so quickly! Crew is currently on site cleaning up the debris.

Nilan8888 Nov 11, 2013 3:50 PM

Once this and the Citadel Re-development are done, it would be awesome to see before and after shots of everything side-by-side.

I never really thought of this little area as "oh my god its so horrible" compared to other places in the city, but it's one heckuva positive change. All it needs now is a nice tower on the other side of Cogswell.

kph06 Nov 12, 2013 2:47 AM

From today by me:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/1...16f5c73e_b.jpg

eastcoastal Nov 12, 2013 2:09 PM

... it's okaaaaay, I'll wait to see what it looks like built. I don't think it's a disaster, and I think that a healthy city needs a good number of background buildings.... but, I get the sense that the developer thinks this is a marquee building worthy of surrounding the very significant citadel/commons heart of the city (and, it should be), but it's not. At least, I don't think it is.

It should have at least hugged the sidewalk, and dealt with the grade change. The elevated, empty plinth in front does nothing for it, or for the street. If the design review committee does its job, they should require better interaction with the public realm.