SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

Leo the Dog Apr 2, 2011 3:46 AM

^ You forgot the weather, 75-80 today in Southern California.

Vicelord John Apr 2, 2011 3:53 AM

It was 95 in downtown LA actually. 91 in Santa Barbara the day before whixh was miserable.

Buckeye Native 001 Apr 2, 2011 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5225806)
Riding in the car right now coming back from soending a wek in LA and Santa Barbara. I noticed one thing, within the city of Los Angeles alone there are 5-6 skylines larger than Phoenix's. The downtown area completely reminded me how much Phoenix blows. LA is ridiculously dense, multicultural, historic, and fun.

My city sucks. :(

Bunker Hill kinda sucks, but its supposed to, since its the Financial District. The Theater District (along Broadway), Jewelery and Toy districts along with Santee Alley are definitely worth a trip to see.

I love LA, but its good points are tough to find if you don't look hard enough. For as many visitors as it attracts, its probably one of the least tourist-friendly cities I've ever been to.

As for the heat, anything above 85 in Southern California is uncomfortable. Its not as humid as the Midwest, Florida or East Texas, but to someone from Arizona, its definitely noticeable. Doesn't help that a lot of older buildings don't have air conditioning. Its hit 110 in inland Orange County, and the house I lived in at the time lacked air conditioning...

Leo the Dog Apr 2, 2011 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5225918)
It was 95 in downtown LA actually. 91 in Santa Barbara the day before whixh was miserable.

Yeah it did crack the 90s in El Cajon, Ramona, which really aren't that far from the ocean. Some records were shattered the past 2 days. I'm surprised it got so hot in Santa Barbara though!

HX_Guy Apr 2, 2011 4:22 PM

I've been meaning to do an LA trip for so long...maybe this summer finally.

It's weird, I can't wait to go to cities like SF, Chicago, NYC, DC and there is a huge, interesting international city just a few hours away by car and I never go. I've been a bunch of times but never explored the city in the same way I do those other cities. I usually just go to the beach, do some shopping a mall and that's about it.

Come to think of it, I don't even know much about it. What are the good places to go? Do they have a happening urban area with sidewalk patios and people strolling by? Something like the Gaslamp in SD?

Vicelord John Apr 2, 2011 6:33 PM

So many areas were just teeming with pedestrians and very cosmopolitan. I loved koreatown, santa monica, and just about the whole westside. Beverly hills was a trip so much money. Bentleys were more common than civics.

Leo the Dog Apr 3, 2011 12:04 AM

I love LA. It is a severely misunderstood and under-rated city. It has that energy that I've only experienced in New York.

When I go, I usually stay with friends/family along the coastal communities (SM, Venice, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach), but I have stayed at the Westin Bonaventure Downtown - located in the heart of DTLA, close access to the red line subway to get to Hollywood, which was also a good time.

Vicelord John Apr 3, 2011 12:43 AM

Hollywood was weird. I wouldn't do that tourist trap again.

Next time I go, I want to hit the beach cities and go back to Brentwood and find the Fresh Prince house. That was my favorite show growing up and I really wanted to see that house, but we ran out of time.

I did feel as though there was a good chance of getting carjacked/mugged just about everywhere I went though. Call it racism if you want, but all those cholos got me on edge.

Buckeye Native 001 Apr 3, 2011 8:02 PM

I've been through South Central a couple of times, which isn't nearly as intimidating a built environment as we're led to believe. Personally, I find places like the South Side of Chicago and parts of Over-the-Rhine and the West End of Cincinnati (my hometown) much more intimidating.

Vicelord John Apr 3, 2011 8:10 PM

Chicago's southside scares the shit out of me like nothing else I know of. Crime in Chicago though, is historically much higher than Los Angeles. I've also found myself in some neighborhoods just north of downtown Detroit that were pretty effed up.

Evil Empire Apr 3, 2011 9:08 PM

Haha I lived, albeit a very short time, on Chicago's Southside (Woodlawn) as a kid. It's bad but not really as bad as most people would think, especially with Woodlawn being one of the worst areas of the Southside. During the wintertime, though, it's incredibly bleak. Then again, that's true for much of Chicago outside of the Loop.

Buckeye Native 001 Apr 3, 2011 10:16 PM

I vaguely recall the area around Tiger Stadium in Detroit being sketchy, but this was way back in 1993, so who knows what its like nowadays...

HX_Guy Apr 4, 2011 5:19 AM

This looks to have some good info...haven't actually read it myself yet...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...es-debate.html

HooverDam Apr 4, 2011 7:57 PM

Apropos of nothing, I found this sweet retro style Phoenix Giants hat online today:

http://www.ebbets.com/product/Phoeni...llcap/Ballcaps

I'll probably buy it. I'd love to get a Firebirds hat and I know New Era did a run of them a few years ago but they were kind of cheap and flimsy and never in my gigantic size :/

The same website also has a (very pricey!) Bisbee-Douglas Copper Kings jersey:
http://www.ebbets.com/product/Bisbee...aseballJerseys

Vicelord John Apr 4, 2011 8:05 PM

I picked up a firebirds hat at Lidz just a few months ago. It is the same 59/50 fitted cap that they make for every other team. Many people don't know that Lidz has lots of exclusives from New Era.

Leo the Dog Apr 5, 2011 1:15 AM

While we're on the topic of hats, I have never owned a D'backs hat simply because their hats are hideous. I like the new colors, that was a great move, but the logo has got to go.

How about they make a hat with the letters "AZ" overlapping each other? A logo that is timeless and never needed to be changed ever again...:shrug:

Vicelord John Apr 5, 2011 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5228937)
While we're on the topic of hats, I have never owned a D'backs hat simply because their hats are hideous. I like the new colors, that was a great move, but the logo has got to go.

How about they make a hat with the letters "AZ" overlapping each other? A logo that is timeless and never needed to be changed ever again...:shrug:

you mean a logo like every other team in the league? Fuck that I'd rather have something at least a little bit different. I like the big D shaped snake.

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5228937)

I totally agree. Their logos suck. The "D" snake logo is kiddie crap. Ball caps look the best with simple letters. Actully I wish they had taken the firebirds logo/colors etc when they became a franchise. Even if that's not a lettered ball cap, it looks good.

HooverDam Apr 5, 2011 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5229016)
I totally agree. Their logos suck. The "D" snake logo is kiddie crap. Ball caps look the best with simple letters. Actully I wish they had taken the firebirds logo/colors etc when they became a franchise. Even of that's not a lettered ball cap, it looks good.

Totally agree with you on the Firebirds thing. Thats what both the Angels and Padres did, they just 'graduated' their AAA team logo/nickname to the MLB.

"Arizona Diamondbacks" was always an awful name. Too many syllables and I hate when pro teams use the states name instead of the Cities, that seems like something that should be reserved for colleges. "Phoenix Firebirds" rolls off thr tongue, plus their colors were the colors of the state flag, it was great.

The biggest problem with the D'backs hats is they don't really work to represent the City. Think about how often you see people in Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers hats. Really they're wearing them more as New York, Boston or Los Angeles caps as opposed to for that particular team. I've known many people who don't care about sports at all but wear the cap that represents their home City.

If the Suns were smart they'd fill the gap the D'backs have left. I've always wanted a dark purple (or black or charcoal) hat with an orange Western style "P" like on the original Suns uni's (and seen in my avatar). I think something like that could become synonymous with Phoenix and that would be cool.

E: I type this while I sit here in a red D'backs hat with the D. I'm a fan, so Ill wear pretty much whatever my home team puts out, but I do wish they had better stuff. I HATE that the home uni's say "D*Backs", ugh, so lame. I wish they all just said "Arizona" like the road grays, those are the slickest uni's they've had in Franchise history (I have one).

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 4:38 AM

Hoover, I hate state names fOr teams too. U hit the nail on the head with people wearing a hat for the city not necessarily a team. Not many people want to rep Phoenix with a corny D snake hat, unfortunately. And the coyotes r going to become the Arizona coyotes. Bleck.

Vicelord John Apr 5, 2011 4:45 AM

I cant blame tgese teams for not wanting to be phoenix anytging.

Leo the Dog Apr 5, 2011 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5229139)
The biggest problem with the D'backs hats is they don't really work to represent the City. Think about how often you see people in Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers hats. Really they're wearing them more as New York, Boston or Los Angeles caps as opposed to for that particular team. I've known many people who don't care about sports at all but wear the cap that represents their home City.

This is absolutely correct. How many people have we all seen that will tattoo these logos into their bodies to represent their hometown?

When you watch a dodger game, 90% of the crowd is sporting their one and only blue LA hats. The SD and SF hats are huge too and they all play in the same division. I'd rock an AZ hat if it ever happens...Until then, I'll stick with the Red Sox.

From a financial perspective: Imagine how much additional revenue the D'backs would generate by creating classic, traditional, timeless merchandise. For the kids, they could keep making the pink and goofy hats.

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5229478)
This is absolutely correct. How many people have we all seen that will tattoo these logos into their bodies to represent their hometown?

When you watch a dodger game, 90% of the crowd is sporting their one and only blue LA hats. The SD and SF hats are huge too and they all play in the same division. I'd rock an AZ hat if it ever happens...Until then, I'll stick with the Red Sox.

From a financial perspective: Imagine how much additional revenue the D'backs would generate by creating classic, traditional, timeless merchandise. For the kids, they could keep making the pink and goofy hats.

I'd buy stuff in a heartbeat if they ever did that. I was uber disappointed when they went with the new colors and basically kept the old logos. As it is now I only have 1 d-backs shirt that I mostly wear as a workout T. No way will I buy a hat. The team is so kid/family oriented and lowest common fan (people that know nothing about baseball but have some discretionary income) oriented it's really quite lame.

Hoover, why don't you make the hat you're talking about (westernish-style "P" on a dark hat)? I'd buy one.

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5229204)
I cant blame tgese teams for not wanting to be phoenix anytging.

That's not really the reason... Phoenix is such a big city in a state without competing big cities. The Phoenix-based teams want to show the state they rep everyone in Arizona (and thusly everyone in Arizona thinks it's their team so they buy more merchandise and support the team).

If Tucson was slightly bigger to warrant a pro sports team, do you think any Phoenix (or Tucson for that matter) team would be named Arizona Anythings? Hell no, it would be a city rivalry and the team would be all about the city.

Vicelord John Apr 5, 2011 3:42 PM

Don't they make that suns hat?

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 3:58 PM

Speaking of the D-backs unis... did anyone see their opening day game in Colorado? The guys on the bench were wearing hoodies that had a classic simple athletic look to them.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/produ...-7108169dt.jpg

If they made that "A" into their cap, that would be simple and cool. Hell, make the David Blaine copied "db" logo their main logo and put it on the cap. Using a nickname logo as your main cap logo isn't very traditional, but anything is better than the "D" or the snake looking "A".

snowthedirtbub Apr 5, 2011 4:23 PM

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Arizona-Diamondbacks/20141080

http://www.lids.com/NBA/Phoenix-Suns/20234586

Vicelord John Apr 5, 2011 5:44 PM

you'd be walking around in a hat that says you're a DB!!

Leo the Dog Apr 5, 2011 6:08 PM

Not a fan of either hat. It is very difficult to match orange and purple into everyday street clothes. The hat is only good for game night (if that).

The black on black "db" hat is somewhat better bc the hat could go with anything you wear, but I've never been much of a fan of hats of the mascot. ie: old Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins, Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, etc...

Buckeye Native 001 Apr 5, 2011 6:19 PM

What about, like, an upper case P that's on fire?

I like Cincinnati's white wishbone C for the Reds, but I'm a homer, so take from that what you will.

HooverDam Apr 5, 2011 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5229544)
Hoover, why don't you make the hat you're talking about (westernish-style "P" on a dark hat)? I'd buy one.

I tried to get it made at uh....Lids or the Hat Club or one of those places that does custom hat stitching in a mall. However they wouldn't do it because I wanted an orange Western "P" with a slight white outline (again, see my avatar) and the guy caught on that I was doing a Suns inspired thing. They said they couldn't do it because its too similar to something thats been copy written by the Suns.

I also think it would be sweet to have on the back of the hat a small setting sun with either "Suns" or "PHX" in it, like used to be on the Suns shorts:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba...estphalPhx.jpg

One day when I win the lotto and have enough money to create a Phoenix version of something like StL Style I'll make said hat :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5229550)
Don't they make that suns hat?

Not that I've ever seen. The nearest thing I've seen is a black or charcoal hat that in white letters spells out "Phoenix" in the western font on a slight arch.

Not a fan of either, the Suns one is just too much orange. I'm not a big fan of the D'backs "DB" logo as once I saw it the first time I thought "that looks like a cross section of a penis" and now every time I see it I can't get that immature thought out of my head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 5229811)

I like Cincinnati's white wishbone C for the Reds, but I'm a homer, so take from that what you will.

You're not being a homer, its a great cap. You see that hat you immediately think Cincinnati (even though the Chicago Bears C is similar, but the colors make it distinct). I see that hat and I think "WKRP", "Skyline Chili", etc and thats great.

The Snakes easily have the worst caps in the NL. The only team in baseball that I think is worse is the new school Blue Jays hat with the bird coming out of the "J", its atrocious (though the old Jays stuff was nice).

Heck even Tampa Bay wised up and came out with those very sharp "TB" hats when they did their image update and realized style choices made in the mid and late 90's were horrifying.

PHX31 Apr 5, 2011 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5229819)
style choices made in the mid and late 90's were horrifying.

ding ding ding! That is the worst era ever for uni/logo/color design. That crap will never even come back as fashionable "throwbacks" unless it's as a joke.

I do remember watching the unveiling of the Phoenix Coyotes shortly after they relocated from Winnipeg and I was 100% sure they were going to be named the Arizona Coyotes. Even back then in 1996 I was pissed about teams being named after states. When I saw they were unveilied as the Phoenix Coyotes I rejoiced (only to now find out they're becoming the Arizona Coyotes if the whole gig out there in Glendale is ever figured out).

When the Diamondbacks were unveilied I remember thinking about how sh!tty the teal/purple combination was and how disappointed I was in the design. If only they'd listen to me/us...

HooverDam Apr 5, 2011 6:40 PM

I was able to mock this up at Lids.com but the problem is even with it set to the largest available font the "P" looks tiny and silly:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1874/phata.png
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1793/phxhat.png
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8087/phatgrey.png
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3236/greyback.png

even if I did figure out a way to mass produce something like this I'm sure I'd eventually get a cease and desist from the Suns. Which would be OK by me, I wouldn't care as long as they agreed to start making the hats themselves. Seems like such an obvious idea...

The grey looks really nice and would be a good option for males not comfortable with purple (though I'm a borderline dandy, so I'd probably go purple). Plus with the Suns using the grey/graphite trim on their uni's these days it works.

Leo the Dog Apr 6, 2011 6:16 AM

^^ I'd definitely purchase those hats. Simple and clean.

HX_Guy Apr 9, 2011 1:48 AM

To follow up on the car talk from earlier...

http://www.phxphotos.com/2011Audi/9.jpg

:)

Now I have to do a downtown car photo shoot like I did with my old car when I first bought it. Maybe next weekend. :D

http://nitnelav.com/AudiDowntown6.JPG

http://nitnelav.com/AudiDowntown8.JPG

Vicelord John Apr 9, 2011 2:04 AM

Congrats dude. Thats a nice looking ride.

Vicelord John Apr 9, 2011 2:55 AM

Does anyone here mountain bike more than just as a weekend warrior?

Discovered a killer trail today at Estrella and ate shit on one descent.

Leo the Dog Apr 9, 2011 4:13 AM

^^I used to ride the Desert Classic trail in South Mountain.

I was a weekend warrior though.

HX_Guy Apr 9, 2011 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5234416)
Congrats dude. Thats a nice looking ride.

Thanks man, I'm really liking it.

HX_Guy Apr 10, 2011 1:29 AM

Sweet rainbow just now! I think it's the best I've ever seen in person.

http://nitnelav.com/rainbow.jpg

Vicelord John Apr 10, 2011 1:38 AM

double rainbow oh my god!!! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

haha

btw, if you need some car shots, I'll be happy to tag along and take some. That's my forte and I've been published in some car and motorcycle mags and websites.

HX_Guy Apr 10, 2011 1:38 AM

Yea? That would be sweet. Gotta wait till I get some tint and wheel spacers then I'm down.

Vicelord John Apr 10, 2011 1:51 AM

from a shoot I recently did for Greasy Kulture Magazine

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3388813_n.jpg

HooverDam Apr 15, 2011 1:07 AM

I don't know if this will interest anyone else, but I found the MP3's for Ferde Grofe's "Valley of the Sun Suite" online.

If you're not familiar with "The Valley of the Sun Suite" (you've almost assuredly heard Grofe's more famous "Grand Canyon Suite") here's a little about it:

Quote:

Ferde Grofe, composer of such well known works as the GRAND CANYON SUITE, MISSISSIPPI SUITE and the HUDSON RIVER SUITE, produced VALLEY OF THE SUN SUITE at the request of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and the Honorable Howard Pyle, former Governor of Arizona, for the celebration of Reclamation's Golden Jubilee in 1952.

VALLEY OF THE SUN SUITE is the first and only musical story of the miracle of reclamation, and is basically the story of the SALT RIVER PROJECT, the nation's first multi-purpose reclamation project, which coupled the generation of electricity with a vast water storage system to provide a firm foundation for the burgeoning metropolis the Salt River Valley supports today.

More than a half century ago drought-ridden Salt Valley farmers banded together to organized the Project under the authorization of the National Reclamation Act which the late Theodore Roosevelt signed into law in 1902. Hydro electric power generated at Roosevelt Dam was sold to the Gila County copper mines and to power users in the Valley with the resultant revenue being used to assure the Valley of a constant water supply.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the 1952 premiere of the Valley of the Sun Suite, as conducted by Grofe and performed by the Arizona State College (Tempe) Symphonic Orchestra. The pieces opens in a beautifully moody manner with Valley of Ditches, employs themes from the composer's Rocketship X-M soundtrack in The Dam Builders, provides delightful dance music for the Masque of the Yellow Moon, and closes with the gorgeous Reclamation's Golden Jubilee (this blogger's favorite movement).
Description from this blog.

He also has an image of the album artwork:
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9383/0009071.jpg

The third movement is named Masque of the Yellow Moon, which is about a sadly bygone tradition in Phoenix that sounds like it was really something to see. You can read more about the Masque here. Thankfully there's talk that one Marshall Shore may be trying to revive the Masque in some capacity down the line.

HX_Guy Apr 15, 2011 9:19 PM

Uhh WTF Brewer?!

Quote:

Apollo Group threatens move after veto
Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks
Date: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:44pm MST

Apollo Group Inc., the parent company of the University of Phoenix, is discussing moving its headquarters out of Arizona after Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a tax bill that would have benefited the company.

Arizona could be without University of Phoenix’s headquarters after its parent group said it would consider moving following the veto of a tax bill that would have benefited the for-profit education company.
Apollo Group Inc. — the parent of the University of Phoenix —is upset with Gov. Jan Brewer’s veto of a tax break that would help it and other multi-state service providing companies. Apollo (NYSE: APOL) is threatening to yank workers and operations out its home state because of the veto.
Brewer nixed Senate Bill 1552 citing its impact on the state’s already tight finances. The tax bill allows companies with operations in Arizona and other states to choose their corporate income tax formulas. It would have offered some saving to companies, such as Apollo, that based in Arizona but offer services in other states.
The tax break would have been worth between $20 million and $50 million to companies to for-profit universities, technology service providers and other businesses, according to various estimates at the Arizona Legislature.
Apollo had a cadre of lobbyists pushing for the tax change this session and also enlisted support from some business groups. The tax change mirrors a tax break given to semiconductor and manufacturing firms, including Intel Corp. (Nasdaq: INTC).
Apollo has 13,000 workers in the state and is headquartered in Phoenix. The company is one of the state’s most recognizable, including having the naming rights to the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.
Apollo told Dow Jones Newswires it might look at moving jobs out of the state after the veto.
“We are very disappointed in Governor Brewer's decision to veto this important legislation that would restore tax fairness and make the state more attractive to business," said Apollo-UOP spokesman Chad Christian. "SB 1552, which was passed unanimously by both Houses of the legislature, would modernize the current tax code and incentivize economic development in the state, encouraging new investment in Arizona jobs and facilities by the growing service sector. The status quo amounts to a double taxation penalty on companies that retain jobs and facilities in Arizona, such as Apollo Group, and encourages the flight of jobs and capital investment from the state. This will no doubt remain an important factor to be weighed by service companies considering to invest or reinvest in Arizona.”
Brewer’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.
Brewer’s veto of the University of Phoenix tax changes comes after she and business backers pushed through a number of tax cuts and breaks this session including ones helping the semiconductor and solar sectors.

Read more: Apollo Group threatens move after veto | Phoenix Business Journal

PHX31 Apr 15, 2011 9:43 PM

Why the F should they be able to choose their corporate tax formulas to benefit themselves. Good for her not bending over and taking it from corporate america.

I don't know the details of the legislation or the tax code, obviously, but nothing from what was posted above makes me think Brewer did anything I wouldn't have done. Eff Apollo Group's lobby and statements threatening Arizona.

HX_Guy Apr 15, 2011 9:43 PM

Do other states do it?

PHX31 Apr 15, 2011 9:57 PM

No idea. But they've been here for years and grew here into a huge company making tons of money for years in Arizona. Now all of the sudden they want their tax formulas changed to benefit themselves (detrimental to arizona's tax collections), especially now that they're hurting big time.

Sounds almost like they want an indirect bailout from Arizona and if they don't get it they threaten to move.

Again, I obviously don't know much about what's going on sans what the article says, but I say good for Brewer.

PhxDowntowner Apr 16, 2011 12:13 AM

This is one of the problems with our economy relying so much on large companies (like U of Phoenix) that don't require much skilled labor - they can move much more easily than a company who's capital is in skilled employees.

Vicelord John Apr 16, 2011 12:26 AM

Im sure some state will give in. Ahh... Down economies.