SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

elly63 Aug 3, 2022 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9692905)
Cfl ratings last week as per 3downnation. Lions-riders 700,000 viewers. Alouettes Ticats 353,000 on TSN. Alouettes president Mario Mancini said team is averaging 200,000 viewers on RDS per game. Bombers Stampeders 607,000. Argos Redblacks 428,000.

Thurmas, I appreciate your posts but it would be nice if you would include confirming links to credit your source and also provide proof for down the road to the naysayers that the league isn't dead yet. Your quote came from here, where did the Cecchini quote come from? That would be useful information to have.

thurmas Aug 3, 2022 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9693001)
Thurmas, I appreciate your posts but it would be nice if you would include confirming links to credit your source and also provide proof for down the road to the naysayers that the league isn't dead yet. Your quote came from here, where did the Cecchini quote come from? That would be useful information to have.

Normally I would but just working as we speak so unable to. Folks can go to 3downnation to verify alouettes number was in the 3downnation podcast closer to the end of it

Acajack Aug 3, 2022 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9693001)

Not sure where it came from but it's pretty consistent with what I have always heard.

The Alouettes average 200k on RDS in so-so years, but are more in the 250k range during their better seasons when they are more in the public eye.

elly63 Aug 3, 2022 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9693030)
Not sure where it came from but it's pretty consistent with what I have always heard.

The Alouettes average 200k on RDS in so-so years, but are more in the 250k range during their better seasons when they are more in the public eye.

I wasn't doubting Thurmas (or you Acajack), I am looking for the official source, I'm listening to the podcast and will post if/when I find it.

elly63 Aug 3, 2022 8:55 PM

Now we have some definitive proof about Alouette ratings. Dunk mentions at 37:35 that Als President Mario Cecchini tweeted that the Als have averaged around 200k viewers so far this season.

The 3down guys again making the case for Sunday games over Thursday as well.

JHikka Aug 4, 2022 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9689386)
I read today fox is paying the USFL 150 million over 3 years on their TV deal for 8 teams which is almost 2 million more per club then what tsn is paying the CFL these days. CFL needs to diversify their content providers

Sure, who do you suggest? Sportsnet is busy with Jays all summer and CBC has no funding.

thurmas Aug 4, 2022 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9693534)
Sure, who do you suggest? Sportsnet is busy with Jays all summer and CBC has no funding.

I think sportsnet could find a slot for 1 game a week and Global would be another option too.

elly63 Aug 4, 2022 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9693546)
I think sportsnet could find a slot for 1 game a week and Global would be another option too.

Part of the rumours back when Rogers got in on the Argo purchase was they were looking for content and a CFL Game of the Week would likely be part of that. Still a mystery why Rogers did become involved, they must have had a reason.

esquire Aug 4, 2022 2:45 PM

I don't think there is a lack of interest in the CFL's rights among other broadcasters. When you're pulling in half a million viewers a game for the regular season, you'll find a taker. The CFL simply made a conscious decision to go all in with Bell/TSN on the basis that it is worth more to the league, even if they have to pay a price in terms of decreased visibility to some extent.

Djeffery Aug 4, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9693588)
Part of the rumours back when Rogers got in on the Argo purchase was they were looking for content and a CFL Game of the Week would likely be part of that. Still a mystery why Rogers did become involved, they must have had a reason.

I'm not sure how MLSE works, whether Rogers has a veto on things like this or not, or if they were simply outvoted by the 2 other partners who had originally purchased the Argos and later rolled it into MLSE. At the time, it was said that becoming part of MLSE would help the Argos in terms of marketing and ticketing and off-field things like that. Which as the last 5 or so years has shown, that didn't really help.

JustForTheHalibut Aug 4, 2022 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9692905)
Cfl ratings last week as per 3downnation. Lions-riders 700,000 viewers. Alouettes Ticats 353,000 on TSN. Alouettes president Mario Mancini said team is averaging 200,000 viewers on RDS per game. Bombers Stampeders 607,000. Argos Redblacks 428,000.

I'm not surprised that the Lions had the highest viewership last week.

JHikka Aug 4, 2022 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut (Post 9694169)

Highest weekly CFL viewership is usually tied to Riders games.

elly63 Aug 4, 2022 10:26 PM

It's interesting to ponder how many more viewers the CFL gets from casual viewers in Quebec on RDS. If the Als have been averaging 200k, I'd be interested to know how many watch the other teams 10k, 20k, 50k? That number would certainly add to showing the value of a still valuable property. And of course that would also turn Alouettes-Ticats 353,000 into possibly 500k, taking into consideration some eyes might be watching TSN in Quebec instead of RDS

elly63 Aug 4, 2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut (Post 9694169)

I can't imagine if the bandwagon for Rourke hasn't started yet. As the 3d article said he is appointment viewing (I'll speak for myself on that)

EpicPonyTime Aug 6, 2022 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9694170)
Highest weekly CFL viewership is usually tied to Riders games.

Last week's game definitely got a higher audience due to Rourke. Lions' games have been doing well all year because of him.

The League has a genuine attraction with him. Why they aren't getting him in Tim Hortons ads with Crosby and Davies is beyond me.

VANRIDERFAN Aug 6, 2022 1:58 PM

Rogers trying to limit competition? Say it ain’t so!🤣
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...rtc-complaint/

JHikka Aug 6, 2022 4:26 PM

Noticed a few Jays fans in Minneapolis for the Jays series there. :hmmm:

esquire Aug 6, 2022 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9695541)
Noticed a few Jays fans in Minneapolis for the Jays series there. :hmmm:

A lot of Jays fans from NWO, Manitoba and Sask make the trip to Target Field for that series. It's an annual event for many.

elly63 Aug 8, 2022 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9689169)
The 3downnation folks are starting to ask why there are no games on CTV and trying to promote Sunday games in the summer, both subjects need to be explored.

https://i.imgur.com/yDEMahY.png

JHikka Aug 8, 2022 5:15 PM

I think there would need to be a breakdown on people who would prefer to attend games on Sunday nights versus people who would prefer to watch games on TV on Sunday nights. For TV i'm sure it would be better but i'm not convinced Sunday night crowds would be conducive in most markets (for CFL or other leagues). Consumers typically prefer to stay at home on Sundays in preparing for the workweek, so things like streaming services and TV typically do best on Sunday.

For physical attendance I think it would be a tough ask, to say nothing of the schedule being more heavily-weighted to Sundays in June/July/August and then suddenly shifting September-onwards as the NFL starts. There's a lot to be said for consistent home scheduling throughout the year to create consistency and reliability in consumers.