SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

Dengler Avenue Jun 22, 2018 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 8230155)
It is a tricky piece of highway.

I would not want a toll east of Golden because that effectively cuts off Golden from Calgary. People in small towns shouldn't have to pay a toll to access larger city amenities, so it'd be punitive to residents of Golden. Revelstoke residents can travel to Kamloops or Kelowna so they wouldn't be impacted either. Yes the Kickinghorse section is the worst and most expensive but all the way west to Canoe there are upgrades required. I'd say Glacier would be a natural place for a toll

That's true. :haha:

* Parks Canada installs "park gates" on widened TCH. *

"Hi, you either pay toll, or that plus park fees." ;)

On a serious note though, can't people from Golden use 95 to access other places too? I'd think the best (but also the most disruptive) way to upgrade those 4 km would be to shut down TCH for a while. Detour via 95 and 93 adds 2.5 hours. (Normally it's 1.5 hours, but I'm just gonna include an extra hour due to traffic.)

Update: Never mind I don't think trucks can use 93.

milomilo Jun 22, 2018 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 8230148)
I'd be fine with tolls throughout the highway as long as there is some value there... IE if it's still a rinky-dink 2 lane road around the great lakes I wouldn't expect there to be a toll on it. Upgrade it to modern standards then absolutely.

For sure. This is fantasy of course, but that would be 'the deal' for drivers. You pay a toll, but now at least you can expect a modern 1st world freeway with consistent standards.

Glacier Jun 22, 2018 8:25 PM

I love tolls, and wished there were more.

Only freeways are tolled, and only if there are alternative routes. Give the government incentive to fix highways. If they can only toll once freeway, they will make more freeways.

Dengler Avenue Jun 22, 2018 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacier (Post 8230337)
I love tolls, and wished there were more.

Only freeways are tolled, and only if there are alternative routes. Give the government incentive to fix highways. If they can only toll once freeway, they will make more freeways.

Wait for the BC Liberals to come back to power then. :haha:

NDP and road building don’t mix.

craner Jun 22, 2018 11:29 PM

Are they actually moving ahead with Kicking Horse Phase 4 then?
(I'd be plesantly shocked if they were)

240glt Jun 28, 2018 7:21 PM

2000km so far on holidays in BC. Roads in the southern interior in worse shape than I remember them. They have re-paved hwy 6 from Nakusp to Needles and a lot of the highway through the Monashees as well. Vernon area stupid busy leading up to the long weekend, 97 from Kamloops to Vernon was packed. Needs upgrading. Hwy 5 north of Kamloops getting a pretty large passing lane north of Barriere. They finished re-paving hwy 24 and it’s much better now.

Next up: hwy 97 south to Cache Creek and the TCH to Vancouver

Dengler Avenue Jul 1, 2018 7:39 PM

Petition to Twin Highway 1

I don't know how useful/helpful this will be, but has anyone seen this petition: https://www.change.org/p/mr-horgan-a...il_responsive?

Doug Jul 3, 2018 3:06 AM

Anyone have info on:
1) one time proposal to bypass Merritt with the Coquihalla Connector. I belive it would cut off something like 30 km and avoid dropping into the valley only to climb back out. Know it was stalled due to politics (i.e lost business in Merritt)

2) future Coquihalla phase that would have gone from about Vernon to Radium. This would have involved a bridge over Arrow Lakes somewhere around Needles plus routing through Jumbo Pass. I remember a claim that it would cut almost two hours off the journey between Calgary, Kootenay Lake, the Okanagan or the Lower Mainland.

Dengler Avenue Jul 3, 2018 6:15 AM

Also concerning the island,
(1) Is Malahat improvement finished?
(2) Will BC remove the traffic lights on Highway 1 between Mill Bay and Nanaimo?
(3) Will BC remove lights on Highway 19?

Ps: In Interior BC, the interchange of Coquihalla with 97C absolutely makes no sense. :hell: This is straight up twisted politics.

Denscity Jul 3, 2018 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 8239906)
Anyone have info on:
1) one time proposal to bypass Merritt with the Coquihalla Connector. I belive it would cut off something like 30 km and avoid dropping into the valley only to climb back out. Know it was stalled due to politics (i.e lost business in Merritt)

2) future Coquihalla phase that would have gone from about Vernon to Radium. This would have involved a bridge over Arrow Lakes somewhere around Needles plus routing through Jumbo Pass. I remember a claim that it would cut almost two hours off the journey between Calgary, Kootenay Lake, the Okanagan or the Lower Mainland.

I have newspaper clippings from both Kelowna and here with a Coquihalla extension along Springfield road to the existing highway 33 to Big White continuing east to the Arrow Lakes and down to Castlegar linking up with highway 3. And a separate highway project called the North South Corridor linking Spokane to Castlegar and up the Arrow Lakes to Revelstoke and highway 1.

craner Jul 4, 2018 7:40 AM

^sigh.
It's nice to dream.

milomilo Jul 4, 2018 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 8239906)

This sounds incredibly expensive and politically unfeasible (but useful). If there was any serious thought in to doing it I'd be interested. But considering we might not see a traffic light free TCH in BC in our lifetimes it doesn't seem like there'd be any appetite for putting in a new highway alignment through new mountain passes.

Denscity Jul 4, 2018 2:19 PM

^^^plus that route has no population on the eastern end. Almost everyone in the kootenays lives in the south. Castlegar Nelson Trail Cranbrook etc.

splashflash Jul 5, 2018 4:43 AM

Island improvements?

Also concerning the island,
Quote:

(1) Is Malahat improvement finished?
Not as of a month ago. There was an accident resulting in 14 hours of no traffic flow resulting in calls for a second route or alternate and/or speeded improvements. Maybe that will now occur.
Quote:

(2) Will BC remove the traffic lights on Highway 1 between Mill Bay and Nanaimo?
Doutful this would occur anytime soon as there have been no announcements or much push by MLAs of the new government.
Quote:

(3) Will BC remove lights on Highway 19?
Ditto
Ps: In Interior BC, the interchange of Coquihalla with 97C absolutely makes no sense. :hell: This is straight up twisted politics.
Kevin Falcon caved.

craner Jul 9, 2018 6:35 AM

... I ask once more:
Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8230505)
Are they actually moving ahead with Kicking Horse Phase 4 then?
(I'd be plesantly shocked if they were)

Metro-One Jul 9, 2018 6:40 AM

I am pretty sure I already answered this question a couple times on here but as far as I know given that the federal half is in place yes.

That said do not expect to see any real work until next year. I believe it is all drilling / geodata collecrion this summer.

craner Jul 9, 2018 4:40 PM

Thanks Metro - sorry I missed this before.

Dengler Avenue Jul 9, 2018 4:41 PM

What about TCH widening in Yoho Park then? Is that done? Even that fancy animal pass is up and running.

Dengler Avenue Jul 9, 2018 6:56 PM

Work East of Kamloops Postponed

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news...019-1.23357778

What is this...

libtard Jul 9, 2018 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8245689)

The NDP seems to be putting the brakes on many planned highway expansions from the last government