SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Halifax Transit (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140068)

worldlyhaligonian Mar 8, 2013 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spire (Post 6042531)
London has them largely because they were forced to, by an Ontario Human Rights Commission decision a few years ago which mandated that all public transit agencies in Ontario had to announce all stops, whether it be with an auto announcer machine or the driver calling them out. Several transit agencies fought this ruling, on account of the extra expense it would require. So this is not necessarily a case of London, or any other city in Ontario, being forward-thinking compared to Metro Transit...

This link lists the stop announcement practices of all agencies in Ontario before and after the decision. Not too many announcing every stop before the ruling.

That being said, Metro Transit really should get the ball rolling on this. Although no agencies in Atlantic Canada call out stops at the moment, there's no reason why we shouldn't be the first, and the benefits are clear.

For those interested, here is the latest staff report on the state of auto announcements, which they are targeting for 2014/15. It's not exactly a concrete committment, unfortunately.

Right, so 2020 possibly.

Can we not pressure them through a similar human rights mechanism?

Hali87 Mar 9, 2013 12:57 AM

From today's herald:

Quote:

...Other recommended changes include: a strategy that encourages walking and active transportation, a review of road projects to ensure they are in sync with growth patterns, a review of transportation projects to include a focus on urban transit and support for rural transit, and the development of a plan for investment in culture and heritage...
Source

someone123 Mar 9, 2013 2:32 AM

I hope those are over-simplifications and not bullet points out of the actual plans. Those statements are incredibly vague. An actual 5-year plan includes stuff like "build a new bus terminal here", not "transit is good".

Hali87 Mar 9, 2013 6:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 6043891)
I hope those are over-simplifications and not bullet points out of the actual plans. Those statements are incredibly vague. An actual 5-year plan includes stuff like "build a new bus terminal here", not "transit is good".

Yeah hopefully those are just headings or something and not the full content of the 5-year review.

Hali87 Mar 9, 2013 7:38 AM

An interesting counterpoint to what Haligonians tend to expect in terms of infrastructure funding (emphasis added):

DRESCHEL: Province says it will pay for Hamilton LRT

Quote:

It looks as if city council’s transit wish has come true.

Transport Minister Glen Murray says Hamilton won’t have to make a direct capital contribution to build the proposed $800-million LRT system.

“They’re not going to be expected to, in the sense that we’re not asking them to make a financial contribution with a very specific tax,” Murray said in an interview.

Murray’s comment is the clearest indication yet that the province intends to live up to its 2008 commitment to provide 100 per cent capital funding for the 14-km light rail system running between McMaster University and Eastgate Square.

Murray says the cash-strapped province will evaluate various revenue-raising tools to be recommended by Metrolinx in order to fund the next wave of transit projects.

And he says a logical part of the strategy for Hamilton is using new transit infrastructure to grow the commercial tax assessment base, which will in turn subsidize the projects.

That is not to be confused with asking Hamilton to raise the levy or charge fees or make a contribution.”

"It is really to give Hamilton the tool to actually grow its tax base and build more revenue by a growing tax base.
"

Source

I especially like the line "That is not to be confused with asking Hamilton to raise the levy or charge fees or make a contribution." The province isn't even asking the city to even help fund this LRT line. I'd like some of what they're having...

someone123 Mar 9, 2013 7:46 AM

Yeah, I have complained at length about this. The scale of provincial and federal transit investment is completely off in Halifax compared to many other Canadian cities. Kitchener-Waterloo is also planning LRT and Ontario has agreed to pay 2/3 of the capital costs.

The province of NS will contemplate large-scale road and bridge projects but apparently not transit.

Part of the problem is that nobody in Halifax has taken the lead and planned anything ambitious. Metro Transit seems content to add incremental bus service and regional council has historically been totally out to lunch when it comes to transit. I'm not sure that handing them, say, $1B in free transit money would actually result in a usable system. Maybe the new council is different..

Dmajackson Mar 23, 2013 12:57 PM

I have to run to work so I'll post my opinions later but here is Metro Transit's Proposed Annual Service Plan for 2013/14; http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...30326cai04.pdf

The major changes this year for routing are;

- Addition of Routes 78 & 79 (Woodside Express from Mount Edward and Cole Harbour)
- Addition of Route 370 (Porter's Lake MetroX)
- Removal of Routes 8 (Waterfront Loop) & 165 (Woodside MetroLink)
- Increase in frequency on Route 7 (Peninsula Loop)
- New Woodside ferry. 15 mins during peak, 30 mins off peak will run until 9:07pm.

There are no proposed changes to service in Halifax Mainland, Bedford, Burnside or Sackville.

Keith P. Mar 23, 2013 1:49 PM

Servicing Porters Lake is simply insane.

Wishblade Mar 23, 2013 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 6063692)
There are no proposed changes to service in Halifax Mainland, Bedford, Burnside or Sackville.

Exactly where it's needed most too. I agree with Keith, Porters Lake should be far down the priority list compared to those.

MeEtc Mar 25, 2013 1:07 AM

Quote:

Commuter Rail Feasibility Study
In 2013/14, Metro Transit will be pursuing the preparation of a Commuter Rail Feasibility Study by external consultants.
This study will be a full feasibility analysis of commuter rail in the Halifax to Windsor Junction and Enfield Corridor
Didn't they do this once before already?

someone123 Mar 25, 2013 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeEtc (Post 6065307)
Didn't they do this once before already?

The only commuter rail stuff I've seen has been some basic staff reports. It would be nice to see a study that looks at all of the details including timing issues with CN, different types of rolling stock, inter-modal connections, and transit-oriented development opportunities. Hopefully they'll also consider extending the line downtown and maybe even look at some alternatives, like streetcars or new LRT ROWs.

One of the issues in the past was the question of whether or not it's possible to get trains that can run in mixed traffic and on freight lines. This exists in other countries but I'm not sure Transport Canada allows it.

someone123 Mar 25, 2013 1:57 AM

Here's an article about mixed tram-train systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_model

Bombardier produces vehicles for these systems.

Dmajackson Jun 14, 2013 7:32 PM

Highfield Terminal is being rebuilt and redesigned this year! :)

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0618ca1013.pdf

curnhalio Jun 15, 2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 6164927)
Highfield Terminal is being rebuilt and redesigned this year! :)

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0618ca1013.pdf

Long overdue. The curbs have been nonexistent there for sometime. All routes except the 52 will have some detours while this is going on.

Dmajackson Jun 28, 2013 12:32 AM

Highfield Terminal upgrades will begin next week (July 4th). All routes except for the 52 will have detours. Expected completion is January 2014.

Highfield Terminal Construction

curnhalio Jun 30, 2013 9:46 PM

Also worth noting that Route 8 will be discontinued as of August 26th. Signs have been posted on all stops #8 currently serves.

Aya_Akai Jul 1, 2013 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curnhalio (Post 6182708)
Also worth noting that Route 8 will be discontinued as of August 26th. Signs have been posted on all stops #8 currently serves.

26th of Aug, eh? .. lame. Discontinued transit routes are the worst birthday present ever. :shrug:

curnhalio Jul 1, 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaliStreaks (Post 6182844)
26th of Aug, eh? .. lame. Discontinued transit routes are the worst birthday present ever. :shrug:

Rumor had it they would keep it running into November to capitalize on cruise ship traffic in the fall. Someone must have told them this would make sense and therefore they bumped it to August.

Duff Jul 24, 2013 1:53 PM

Council gives green light to new transit terminal behind Canada Games Centre

Quote:

City staffers can go ahead with the design and construction of a new transit terminal on Lacewood Drive, now that council has approved the location.

Councillors voted unanimously Tuesday in favour of the recommended site, behind the Canada Games Centre.

“This terminal’s been a long-awaited decision…I’m pleased to put it forward, we do need it,” said Coun. Russell Walker.

The terminal was originally approved for a location on Willett Street, which didn’t sit well with local residents.
Read the rest here - http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/746...-games-centre/

curnhalio Jul 24, 2013 11:31 PM

For me, any excitement that would stem from this announcement is tempered by the fact that the actual opening is likely about three years off. It was January 2010 when the discussion of terminal relocation began.

Progress in Halifax moves at about the same pace as the glaciers that left behind the topography we know today. Or at about the pace of Cogswell St at 5pm today, take your pick.