SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 300 N Michigan Ave | 523 ft | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240138)

the urban politician Aug 26, 2019 3:26 PM

CHICAGO | 300 N Michigan Ave | 523 ft | 47 FLOORS
 
New apartment/hotel proposal that is beginning site prep, demo of the old warehouse/loft building on site:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/d0wv...g_Package1.jpg via bKL

Quote:

A new tower near Millennium Park, developed by Sterling Bay and designed by bKL architects, came into clearer focus on Friday. Fresh details and renderings of the long-rumored project were shared by 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly who is asking residents for feedback on the plans so far.

Slated for the site of a vacant four-story building at 300 N. Michigan Avenue, the 47-story, 523-foot structure calls for 25,000 square feet of retail topped by 280 hotel rooms and 290 residential units. The tower would contain just 26 parking spaces in a below ground garage, suggesting the residential component is more likely rentals instead of condominiums.

Designed by Chicago-based bKL Architecture, the glassy, rectangular structure features inset balconies and pronounced horizontal striping at the lower hotel levels. Its most striking aspect is arguably an open-air loggia above the base, supported by angled M-shaped columns.
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/3/25...e-sterling-bay

BonoboZill4 Aug 26, 2019 3:31 PM

This could be the last major change to that weird block. Everything else is either worthy of staying or too small to be torn down and made into something bigger. At least that's the way it looks to me

SIGSEGV Aug 26, 2019 4:40 PM

So many lambdas!

Busy Bee Aug 26, 2019 5:43 PM

It's an attractive enough tower albeit a bit boring, I just wish they could have acquired the low rise lot just to the north so they could have butted up and covered over that awful pomo-cold-storage-warehouse side wall of 320 N Michigan.

nomarandlee Aug 26, 2019 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8669368)
It's an attractive enough tower albeit a bit boring, I just wish they could have acquired the low rise lot just to the north so they could have butted up and covered over that awful pomo-cold-storage-warehouse side wall of 320 N Michigan.

True that. An ugly wall and a prominent location it is.
However from most angles, especially street level, I think and hope that the south side wall of 320 Michigan will mostly be obstructed than the renders depict.

AlpacaObsessor Sep 14, 2019 1:36 AM

300 N Michigan Demo Progress
https://i.imgur.com/lTsJtUnh.jpg

the urban politician Sep 14, 2019 1:32 PM

Thread bump just to mention that it’s been reported that demo of the existing building is about to start

SIGSEGV Sep 14, 2019 6:28 PM

On that note, if you want to see the carbon and carbide building from the top of the London House, better hurry up and make it to that cupola!

harryc Sep 16, 2019 12:22 AM

300 N Michigan
 
Sept 6

Does nobody thing of the pigeons ?




Sept 10


SolarWind Sep 24, 2019 3:22 AM

September 23, 2019




Busy Bee Sep 24, 2019 1:03 PM

That might just be a rare pigeon species. I demand an environmental impact statement. Also rare spiders on rare cobwebs.

Busy Bee Sep 24, 2019 1:06 PM

Also not to poo-poo too much, but this lot would have made an amazing location for a 1000 footer. The view up the river...:slob:

chicubs111 Sep 24, 2019 1:18 PM

I agree...such a prime lot to develop for something tall.. doesn't seem like much of a risk to go for something in the 700ft to 800 ft range for this location...just off Michigan avenue... :shrug:

kemachs Sep 24, 2019 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8696490)
I agree...such a prime lot to develop for something tall.. doesn't seem like much of a risk to go for something in the 700ft to 800 ft range for this location...just off Michigan avenue... :shrug:

So goes several high-profile sites in Chicago lately...although the Salesforce tower upsets me more than this one. Part of me wishes both sites could sit this one out until the next cycle in the hopes of a more worthy proposal. BUT I suppose it could be worse, at least the designs (in a vacuum) are pretty decent? :shrug:

the urban politician Sep 24, 2019 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8696490)
I agree...such a prime lot to develop for something tall.. doesn't seem like much of a risk to go for something in the 700ft to 800 ft range for this location...just off Michigan avenue... :shrug:

Yeah, couple tens of million $$, not too much risk :rolleyes:

Steely Dan Sep 24, 2019 3:13 PM

in its entire history, the city of chicago has only seen towers 800' or taller constructed on 18 occasions. that's it, just 18 times.

99% of the highrises chicago has built over the centuries have been less than 800' tall.

expecting every single patch of land in downtown chicago to now sprout 800+ foot towers is way beyond unrealistic.

chicubs111 Sep 24, 2019 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8696608)
Yeah, couple tens of million $$, not too much risk :rolleyes:

Depending on pricing and marketing there could be also tens of millions more in profit too with a larger building...acting like this location would be so far fetched and taking such a crazy risk at a taller building than what's gonna be built currently is pretty close minded... this isn't the south loop ...its a pretty prime location.

kemachs Sep 24, 2019 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8696614)
in its entire history, the city of chicago has only seen towers 800' or taller constructed on 18 occasions. that's it, just 18 times.

99% of the highrises chicago has built over the centuries have been less than 800' tall.

expecting every single patch of land in downtown chicago to now sprout 800+ foot towers is way beyond unrealistic.

You right. However, doesn't it seem like we've seen significantly less 800'+ proposals since the crash of '08? Does it speak to local and national developers being less bullish on the market here, with a majority of proposals being more conservative, blueglass, semi-boring towers in the downtown area? The one place I'm seeing adventurous architecture is the West Loop. Now that I think of it, the current boom in that neighborhood may mean less 800+ footers; sucking up the demand for office and residential?

Steely Dan Sep 24, 2019 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemachs (Post 8696991)
However, doesn't it seem like we've seen significantly less 800'+ proposals since the crash of '08?

no.

i'd say it's 100% the opposite.

chicago has never seen more 800' projects than it is right now.




chicago's 800+ footers have been built in 4 distinct building booms, with one outlier (park tower).


'69-'76: 5

- hancock
- chase
- aon
- sears
- WTP



'89-'90: 4

- franklin
- 900 N
- 2 Pru
- 311 S



2000: 1

- park tower



2009-2010: 3

- trump
- aqua
- legacy




2018-202?: 5 + 6 active proposals

- one bennet
- NEMA
- vista
- 110 N
- OCS


- tribune east
- 400 LSD 1
- 400 LSD 2
- LSE site I
- 1000M
- salesforce

the urban politician Sep 24, 2019 8:28 PM

^ Of which Salesforce is almost definitely a go since they have an anchor tenant, and 1000M is "Starting in October!" (or November....or December.....or never) perhaps

BonoboZill4 Sep 24, 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8696842)
Depending on pricing and marketing there could be also tens of millions more in profit too with a larger building...acting like this location would be so far fetched and taking such a crazy risk at a taller building than what's gonna be built currently is pretty close minded... this isn't the south loop ...its a pretty prime location.

A project that large would need massive zoning changes on what is already the most densely developed lot in the City. Big doubt anything bigger than what we're getting would get approval

And yeah, all the groaning going on about how we aren't building big is very silly as Steely pointed out

chicubs111 Sep 25, 2019 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8697207)
A project that large would need massive zoning changes on what is already the most densely developed lot in the City. Big doubt anything bigger than what we're getting would get approval

And yeah, all the groaning going on about how we aren't building big is very silly as Steely pointed out

A project how large?..nobody said anything about putting 1000 plus ft building here...im just saying something a few hundred feet taller than whats proposed...if that's considered a "massive" zoning change then lets hope your never an alderman in 42nd ward..(or perhaps you are...:haha: ...jk).... anywhoo...moving on from this

Ned.B Sep 25, 2019 2:58 PM

^Yeah, it's rarely as simple as the market and the site demands it, so they should build them taller. There's also economic and functional implications to height. Based on my approximation, this will be a pretty slender tower at only about 80'x100' judging by the size of the site. A tower that is 50% taller will require more elevators or faster, more expensive elevators. It requires beefier structure, which would eat into the small floor plates. You can say that downtown there should be no parking requirements, but there may be issues leasing at the type of rates that top of 800 ft tall towers demand without a certain amount of parking spaces available somewhere.

Then as Bonobp pointed out, the site is currently zoned DX-16. The project per my rough calculations may be using as much as 26 FAR unless they are borrowing from some of the neighbors. That's already pretty high. To get that floor bonus of 10, the developer has to pay the city 80% of the market cost of every square foot that they add to the project. Pushing that to 39 FAR for an 800' tower may only not get Alderman and City approval, but it will be significantly more expensive for those added floors.

BonoboZill4 Sep 25, 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8697659)
A project how large?

The size you were suggesting would require zoning changes and the area is already a nightmare for traffic. I'm not saying I don't want something big there, I'm just explaining that it's not as easy as the developer saying, "oh yeah, I'll just spend another 200 million and make this 850 feet tall".

I supposed I could have been more specific but Ned covered my bases

harryc Sep 28, 2019 2:02 AM

300 N Michigan - Demo
 
Sept 18





Sept 25





the urban politician Sep 29, 2019 3:16 PM

I realize that some of you want something taller but I’m salivating to see this start.

Mich Ave south of the river is just epic....and getting more so

bhawk66 Sep 30, 2019 3:29 PM

The "taller" freaks need their own planet.

The Smurfit building is one of the biggest gems in the city of Chicago. Too bad it wasn't 800' taller. C'mon man. Give your balls a tug.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 30, 2019 5:27 PM

I actually think it is right sized. It holds that corner and pulls everything together perfectly . I think if it was way taller it would not have the same affect.

ThirdCoaster Sep 30, 2019 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8702542)
I actually think it is right sized. It holds that corner and pulls everything together perfectly . I think if it was way taller it would not have the same affect.

Agreed. This is a great height. If it was taller it would distract from C&C too much and might block Vista/Aqua (when seen from the riverwak).

WPS, OTOH, should have been taller....

nomarandlee Sep 30, 2019 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdCoaster (Post 8702558)
Agreed. This is a great height. If it was taller it would distract from C&C too much and might block Vista/Aqua (when seen from the riverwak).

WPS, OTOH, should have been taller....

Even more so regarding River Point IMO. Perhaps the only two locations that I'd get hung on height about in the city and each will end up about 100-200 shorter than they ought.

bhawk66 Sep 30, 2019 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8702542)
I actually think it is right sized. It holds that corner and pulls everything together perfectly . I think if it was way taller it would not have the same affect.

I was jesting. It's the perfect size.

SolarWind Oct 2, 2019 2:07 AM

October 1, 2019


BonoboZill4 Oct 3, 2019 1:25 AM

Now that's a beautiful sight... one less under/un-utilized space in the city

simon07 Oct 3, 2019 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8705576)
Now that's a beautiful sight... one less under/un-utilized space in the city

Could of easily been restored into a beautiful building. You are not supposed to tear down buildings like this; at least do a facadectomy.

RedCorsair87 Oct 3, 2019 6:24 PM

^Agree 100%!

dan ryan Oct 3, 2019 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8706195)
^Agree 100%!

Same!

Handro Oct 3, 2019 7:56 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8869...7i13312!8i6656

What facade?

BonoboZill4 Oct 4, 2019 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon07 (Post 8706154)
Could of easily been restored into a beautiful building. You are not supposed to tear down buildings like this; at least do a facadectomy.

That's gonna be a hard disagree from me on all fronts. The first floor of the building made it irredeemable

kolchak Oct 4, 2019 1:45 AM

I have to agree with Bonobo here. That corner will benefit from this tower which replaces a rather unremarkable albeit old building. it’s going to significantly liven the block.

HomrQT Oct 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8706622)
That's gonna be a hard disagree from me on all fronts. The first floor of the building made it irredeemable

Modifying the first floor exterior to be nicer would not have been difficult. Like others have said, I would love to have seen the original externals preserved and a new tower built inside of it.

ChiTownWonder Oct 4, 2019 1:53 AM

There are more important battles to fight for me personally... this development is fine, it increases density and will contribute to the activity of Michigan ave. She kinda ugli but whatever :shrug:, overall positive addition.

boeing738 Oct 20, 2019 5:42 AM

Demolition pictures, from 10/19

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...24af137f_b.jpg300 N. Michigan by jlnd29, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e5f1244e_b.jpg300 N. Michigan by jlnd29, on Flickr

SolarWind Oct 23, 2019 1:22 AM

October 22, 2019




Handro Oct 23, 2019 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeing738 (Post 8722796)

Definitely save this one... probably one of the last great views of The Carbide & Carbon building.

LouisVanDerWright Oct 23, 2019 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8726617)
Definitely save this one... probably one of the last great views of The Carbide & Carbon building.

Take another once demo is done and you will have the greatest view of C&C that has ever existed since I believe 300 N Michigan original building was built before C&C and has always slightly obscured the view.

And there will always be a great view of Carbon and Carbide from kitty corner across the intersetion at South Water, that will never be blocked. This is Michigan Ave we are talking about, its one of the widest streets in town and will always provide generous view corridors.

Handro Oct 23, 2019 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8726635)
Take another once demo is done and you will have the greatest view of C&C that has ever existed since I believe 300 N Michigan original building was built before C&C and has always slightly obscured the view.

And there will always be a great view of Carbon and Carbide from kitty corner across the intersetion at South Water, that will never be blocked. This is Michigan Ave we are talking about, its one of the widest streets in town and will always provide generous view corridors.

True, but clearly this angle offers a more generous view of the entire building :)

The Lurker Oct 23, 2019 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8726617)
probably one of the last great views of The Carbide & Carbon building.

This probably will be one of their selling points when marketing the upper units/penthouse.

harryc Oct 24, 2019 11:42 PM

300 N Michigan
 
Oct 16








Skyguy_7 Oct 28, 2019 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8726617)
Definitely save this one... probably one of the last great views of The Carbide & Carbon building.

It will get better before it gets worse! Wait til the demo netting is down, just before CASE gets there.. but even then, the view will be pretty sweet.

harryc Nov 1, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 29

Chicago | 300 N Michigan by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago | 300 N Michigan by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago | 300 N Michigan by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago | 300 N Michigan by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago | 300 N Michigan by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.