SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   Development Rumours (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139843)

LikesBikes Jul 13, 2023 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 9990885)
Yes, this will be via site plan approval. Council has just done away with the Design Advisory Committee, so the site plan approval process will be entirely internal to HRM staff. It's basically as-of-right, though there are some nuanced differences between full as-of-right and site plan approval.

So before, this project would have had to go through a consultation process and be voted on by counsellors?

Keith P. Jul 13, 2023 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 9990885)
Yes, this will be via site plan approval. Council has just done away with the Design Advisory Committee, so the site plan approval process will be entirely internal to HRM staff. It's basically as-of-right, though there are some nuanced differences between full as-of-right and site plan approval.

This is not good. Giving planning bureaucrats that kind of power is the kiss of death to any proposal that does not cleave to the planning theories du jour.

IanWatson Jul 14, 2023 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikesBikes (Post 9990902)
So before, this project would have had to go through a consultation process and be voted on by counsellors?

No, previously it would have to go to the Design Advisory Committee, which was composed of volunteers from the design/development/construction professions as well as a few members-at-large. The Committee's role was to advise on building design, but they didn't really have any teeth - it was just a recommendation. And realistically, by the time the building has got to that stage the developer has pretty much baked in the details of the design, so the recommendations were going unheeded. A good chunk of the members resigned because they felt like it was a waste of time.

LikesBikes Jul 14, 2023 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 9991600)
No, previously it would have to go to the Design Advisory Committee, which was composed of volunteers from the design/development/construction professions as well as a few members-at-large. The Committee's role was to advise on building design, but they didn't really have any teeth - it was just a recommendation. And realistically, by the time the building has got to that stage the developer has pretty much baked in the details of the design, so the recommendations were going unheeded. A good chunk of the members resigned because they felt like it was a waste of time.

Ok, thanks for the explainer!

HalifaxRetales Jul 16, 2023 8:00 PM

This has been submitted to HRM Planning

"The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• 10 multiple unit residential buildings, ranging from 4 to 8 storeys;
• Approximately 1,040 residential units;
• Realignment of Research Drive (public street);
• Public parkland approximately 1,713 square meters in size; and,
• An active transportation network through the site, linking to Dartmouth South Academy, Fenwick Street, Lynn Drive, and the remaining Southdale lands for future connections."

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...rive-dartmouth

https://halifax.retales.ca/wp-conten...9-siteplan.jpg

Dartguard Jul 21, 2023 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatscat (Post 9989231)
My understanding is this project is currently dead, as zoning does not permit for such high towers. IIRC, city came back to the developer and stated you need to build much lower (in accordance with zoning) and the developer backed off.

The site is an eye sore.

I had dinner tonight with a Principle of Lydon Lynch and the project has approvals for the design shown on the site . The developer has other projects on the go like the Elevation on Robie and will proceed when that and other projects get further along. All Construction in Canada is still recovering from Supply disruptions and a bow wave of retirements that were taken during Covid. Folks literally cashed out.

NorthernGreg Jul 21, 2023 3:32 PM

Is there a thread for the development on Robie/Cedar (1756ish Robie)? There was some excavating work being done there today, which I think is relatively new. The lot is smaller compared to other empty ones along robie so I figured it would be something in the 5-7 story range? any insight to what's going there/link to the thread?

djbrickhouse Oct 23, 2023 4:15 PM

Anyone know what is happening at 7415 Quinpool? The Armview Towers property appears vacated and is now fenced off.

IanWatson Oct 27, 2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbrickhouse (Post 10065484)
Anyone know what is happening at 7415 Quinpool? The Armview Towers property appears vacated and is now fenced off.

AllNS reports today that the building is getting a restoration. They're going to keep the butterfly roof.

I've always loved that building, so it's great to see it's getting some investment.

Owner is Peppermint Properties.

Arrdeeharharharbour Oct 27, 2023 2:38 PM

I'm surprised that this hasn't been given the 'renoviction' treatment by the local press. I too think that this is a beautiful building and I'm happy that it'll remain.

eastcoastal Oct 27, 2023 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 10068646)
AllNS reports today that the building is getting a restoration. They're going to keep the butterfly roof.

I've always loved that building, so it's great to see it's getting some investment...

I'm a fan of the roof and building as well. Happy to hear this.

Dmajackson Jan 12, 2024 4:40 AM

So I am in love with Halifax's Open Data Catalog. I just found a new dataset for development-only permits where developers get approval for the proposed land-use before they submit for a building permit. So basically this means I can get information on upcoming projects even earlier!

Here's a few approved uses I've found that I have not heard about before;

2318 Gottingen Street - 6-storey mixed-use building
Windmill Road & Brookside Avenue - multi-unit
Main Street & Hillsboro Drive - commercial building
1753 Bedford Highway - 3-storey commercial building

Hammonds Plains Road near the First Nation Entertainment Centre - Over 500 Units of Senior's Housing in multiple buildings (approved before the fire).

fatscat Jan 12, 2024 2:40 PM

That 6-story Gottingen build is on an impressively tight lot. Assuming they will be tearing down some of the adjacent properties.

https://i.imgur.com/tuVbpb2.png

Dmajackson Jan 12, 2024 4:40 PM

Some in progress Development-Only Permits. I'm not done scanning through so I may post more tonight.

323 Sackville Drive - 5-storey, 64-unit building behind Baxter Suites
498 Sackville Drive - Multi-unit (no size specified)
3545 Robie Street - Cousin's Restaurant redevelopment (no size specified)
25 Crystal Drive - 5-storey, 2'300 sq ft commercial and 48 units
5688 West Street - 5-storey, 16-unit residential building (next to EAST WEST).

kph06 Jan 12, 2024 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmajackson (Post 10119223)
Some in progress Development-Only Permits. I'm not done scanning through so I may post more tonight.

323 Sackville Drive - 5-storey, 64-unit building behind Baxter Suites
498 Sackville Drive - Multi-unit (no size specified)
3545 Robie Street - Cousin's Restaurant redevelopment (no size specified)
25 Crystal Drive - 5-storey, 2'300 sq ft commercial and 48 units
5688 West Street - 5-storey, 16-unit residential building (next to EAST WEST).

Halifax Retales had a tweet about this a little while back (at the time I figured I'd wait to see if they wanted to share the find):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4kfCc8X...pg&name=medium
Specific Tweet

Dmajackson Jan 13, 2024 5:04 AM

And the last of the Development-Only permits submitted in 2023 that are still open.

30 Memory Lane - 44-unit building
5213 Green Street - 6-storey building of about 45 units
100 Block of Broad Street - Multi-Unit (Bedford West High-rise site)
6250 Quinpool Road - 217 units (Ben's Bakery last building)
2731 Robie Street - 26 Units (former Coastal Cafe)
Hammonds Plains & Majesty - commercial building
1 Horizon Court - The Europa site (no size specified)
341 Sackville Drive - Four new residential buildings (no size specified)
Windmill Road @ Nootka - 175 Units
2 Marie Avene - 128 Residents Long-Term-Care
2188 Gottingen Street - 9-storey mixed-use with 142 units (I've made a thread for this one)

IanWatson Mar 15, 2024 12:51 PM

AllNS reports this morning that St. Mark's Anglican on Gottingen (across from Shambala school) has a development proposal. Removal of the annex and replacement with 75 units through the heritage DA process. Cosmos Developments Ltd is the developer.

Keith P. Mar 18, 2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanWatson (Post 10165216)
AllNS reports this morning that St. Mark's Anglican on Gottingen (across from Shambala school) has a development proposal. Removal of the annex and replacement with 75 units through the heritage DA process. Cosmos Developments Ltd is the developer.

I see they are promoting a heritage meeting for this week on the 20th via a sign out front. The church is a registered heritage property. 75 units isn't huge, which makes me wonder if they are planning to integrate the church building somehow and develop the annex section.

Drybrain Mar 18, 2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 10167045)
I see they are promoting a heritage meeting for this week on the 20th via a sign out front. The church is a registered heritage property. 75 units isn't huge, which makes me wonder if they are planning to integrate the church building somehow and develop the annex section.

That's exactly it. This isn't far from me, and that's the idea: restore the church building, demolish the annex and build apartments there. There's already a developer on board, apparently.

OldDartmouthMark Mar 18, 2024 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 10167048)
That's exactly it. This isn't far from me, and that's the idea: restore the church building, demolish the annex and build apartments there. There's already a developer on board, apparently.

Sounds like a very interesting project. Appreciate the updates!