SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Oct 30, 2008 10:54 PM

Ace Hardware is coming to Downtown!!! Spring 2009

Derek Oct 30, 2008 11:16 PM

Woot!

HurricaneHugo Oct 31, 2008 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3883852)
Ace Hardware is coming to Downtown!!! Spring 2009

too bad the san diego hardware store went under :(

staplesla Oct 31, 2008 7:08 PM

Does anyone on here think we could do better with the San Diego Coronado Bay Bridge? I know they are working on spending millions to have creative uplighting to better show it off.

I just think we could have a better signature bridge that could have a bigger impact on the downtown skyline.

I like Santiago Calatrava's designs and think they'd fit in well with the Bay. Here are some pics of some of his current designs. Just curious what you guys and gals thought.

New Bridge under construction in downtown Dallas
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/i...idgedallas.jpg

Calatrava bridge in Italy
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/i...ridgeitaly.jpg

Calatrava bridge in Israel
http://www.alstaplesassociates.com/i...ravaisreal.jpg

bmfarley Oct 31, 2008 11:15 PM

I found this on the CCDC website for a design review committee meeting coming up on November 5th.

Quote:

FOSTER WEST – Centre City Development Permit 2008-08 for an 8-story (85 feet) mixed-use building consisting of 118 apartment units, 12,400 square feet of ground-floor retail space, and three levels of subterranean parking (129 spaces). The 20,000 square-foot project site is located along the north side of G Street between 11th Avenue and Park Boulevard – East Village Redevelopment District.

HurricaneHugo Nov 2, 2008 3:04 AM

The Coronado bridge is fine, I don't think they could have done better with the location

All those calatrava bridges seem to be overkill for their intended purposes...

tdavis Nov 2, 2008 8:22 AM

I actually agree with Staplesla. The Coronado bridge is boring and does nothing for the bay. It's a shame with such great signature bridges such as the Golden Gate in San Fran, Williamsburg in NYC, and the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, Australia that they couldn't have built something better here.

ShekelPop Nov 4, 2008 1:07 AM

since there's not much else to talk about, I thought I'd chime in as well regarding the Coronado Bridge. I have to disagree with those who wish the bridge had more to it. I think that from most vantage points, anything more than the nice sleek simple curve that it is would obstruct a perfectly decent view of both the sky and the coast in the distance. so many of these cities are looking for Calatrava to give them wings, but they really dont have much else going for them. The bay and the ocean are the the real attractions, and my take is that we're lucky that we don't need a bridge to liven things up.

Fusey Nov 5, 2008 2:58 PM

Quote:

Voters soundly reject Marine Terminal deck
By Ronald W. Powell
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
2:10 a.m. November 5, 2008

SAN DIEGO – A plan to build a 40-foot-tall deck over a downtown marine cargo terminal was headed for defeat early Wednesday by a wide margin.
Proposition B would have amended the San Diego Unified Port District's master plan to allow construction of the platform over the port's 96-acre 10th Avenue Marine Terminal.

The initiative was paid for by two developers who ran a low-budget campaign to convince voters in the Port District's five cities – San Diego, National City, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach and Coronado – that the deck could support a sports arena, a hotel, an aquarium or other uses, including a football stadium for the Chargers.

The team stayed on the sidelines during the campaign, but its executives said they would explore the deck plan if voters approved it.

An endorsement of Proposition B by voters also would have given developers Frank Gallagher and Richard Chase the opportunity to build on the terminal itself, as long as maritime uses remained the priority.

The proposal drew a solid wall of opposition from the Port District, the county's congressional delegation, the secretary of the Navy, environmentalists, waterfront businesses, the State Lands Commission and the city councils of the Port District's five member cities.

Port Commissioner Stephen Cushman said the results show the opposition against the initiative was “the likes of which this community has never seen.”

“It shows that the voters saw through a deceptive and a very bad proposition,” he said.

With structural engineers saying the deck could cost as much as $800 million, opponents argued that the developers had no intention of building it. They argued that Proposition B was a thinly veiled “land grab” of public property for development on the bayfront terminal.

Gallagher blamed the loss on his opponents' advertising campaign, which showed military ships loading at the terminal and how important the port was to their mission.

“They had this advertising that made me look like I am Osama bin Laden,” he said. “We're in a military town and that didn't play well.”
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/p...-bn05deck.html

keg92101 Nov 5, 2008 3:39 PM

Prop 1A

Now that this has passed, what does it mean for California? What are the routes, and what is the 1st leg to be built?

mongoXZ Nov 5, 2008 4:26 PM

It means 160,000 construction related jobs & 450,000 permanent jobs. Jobs are good! Right?

The first leg would be LA---SJ----SF I believe. Here's a vid:
Video Link

bmfarley Nov 5, 2008 6:21 PM

The California High Speed Rail project will be the states largest ever public works effort. Because of its size and complexity, it will advance in phases. The first phase will be linking San Francisco and Los Angeles with an initial construction effort in the Central Valley (to get train system testing section up and running asap).

Phases to San Diego and Sacramento will follow. An adopted preferred alignment is already in the books, but may be revisited. Actually, it seems it has too! The San Diego station is at Santa Fe Depot and the alignment enters downtown as an aerial structure. That decision was made before all the towers went up immediately adjacent to the existing rail corridor. And, I am very doubful neighbors would appreciate an aerial structure right out their windows. Maybe put it underground, like in San Francisco? But, imo, it should come downtown because that is where people are destined.

keg92101 Nov 5, 2008 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3893339)
The California High Speed Rail project will be the states largest ever public works effort. Because of its size and complexity, it will advance in phases. The first phase will be linking San Francisco and Los Angeles with an initial construction effort in the Central Valley (to get train system testing section up and running asap).

Phases to San Diego and Sacramento will follow. An adopted preferred alignment is already in the books, but may be revisited. Actually, it seems it has too! The San Diego station is at Santa Fe Depot and the alignment enters downtown as an aerial structure. That decision was made before all the towers went up immediately adjacent to the existing rail corridor. And, I am very doubful neighbors would appreciate an aerial structure right out their windows. Maybe put it underground, like in San Francisco? But, imo, it should come downtown because that is where people are destined.

I agree, and perhaps incorporate it into the Lindburgh Metro Station that Sanders introduced this past year. I think that there is the room to put it there, and any impact on industrial properties is far easier to mitigate than residential high rises.

staplesla Nov 5, 2008 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3893339)

The San Diego line is actually going to be underground now downtown. My husband is the civil engineer working on the line. The funds will also allow for the trolley tracks to be tunneled with HSR in parts to free up most of the delays on the roads.

Also, people on here are stating SF to LA will be the first line. This isn't actually true. They aren't sure yet. This was one of the reasons for the change from Proposition1 (SF to LA line) to Proposition 1A. Proposition 1A allows for the first financially feasible line to be built. My husband says that the SD through Riverside back down to LA line will be cheaper and may actually get built first. Regardless though of what is in the news, they are still only in preliminary design and a lot will probably change.

bmfarley Nov 6, 2008 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 3893889)
The San Diego line is actually going to be underground now downtown. My husband is the civil engineer working on the line. The funds will also allow for the trolley tracks to be tunneled with HSR in parts to free up most of the delays on the roads.

Also, people on here are stating SF to LA will be the first line. This isn't actually true. They aren't sure yet. This was one of the reasons for the change from Proposition1 (SF to LA line) to Proposition 1A. Proposition 1A allows for the first financially feasible line to be built. My husband says that the SD through Riverside back down to LA line will be cheaper and may actually get built first. Regardless though of what is in the news, they are still only in preliminary design and a lot will probably change.

Good stuff. That news is welcome and it's great to hear that formal effort is being made to get this rolling. It's increasingly difficult to follow HSR in local news, since they don't have any writers at all and rely almost entirely on the UP and AP (okay, that was a joke), but, any idea when this will be discussed publicly? There are several local agencies thaat would weigh in; City, MTS and SANDAG.

Also, I am familiar with the changes in the proposition. It permits use of funds to be allowed to be used on any portion of the network; depending on project readiness and that the SF to LA segement is not jeopardized. My read is that SF to LA will move forward first. I also note, although your husbands work is noteworthy, engineering and planning efforts are further along in the SF to LA section.

staplesla Nov 6, 2008 5:31 AM

Trust me I know, he's the project manager and I have to hear about it all the time. lol. He's up north right now doing something on the Merced line. I'll ask him next week about a timeline, etc.

ShekelPop Nov 6, 2008 6:01 AM

Great info on HSR! Thanks a lot Staples and everyone else. Although I didn't support the proposition, I'm anxious to find out what will happen in southern california as a result. Linking LA/OC/SD first would be tremendous for the region.

SDCAL Nov 6, 2008 9:53 AM

StaplesLA, thanks for the inside info

I almost voted no on 1A because of SD not being in the first phase and not even guaranteed at all in the vague wording, but it makes me feel more confident knowing there is avtual engineering plans being worked on

glad I ended up voting for it ;)

HurricaneHugo Nov 7, 2008 9:23 AM

its not coming to san diego...

HurricaneHugo Nov 7, 2008 9:26 AM

And prop B was badly described.

The description on the ballot didn't mentioned anything about a chargers stadium or other possible uses. Most people didn't know what it was about.

Either way, it won't hurt the Chargers as they didn't even endorse it and its not like it would have gotten anything done (too unrealistic).

Now, no longer having Aguirre as city attorney, helps out A LOT.