SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   HOUSTON | Development Thread II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114123)

JoninATX Dec 18, 2013 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... (Post 6377954)

Smh... I couldn't agree more kingkirby. I say the heck with it, just move this project next to a rail station in downtown.

N90 Dec 18, 2013 5:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverberation (Post 6377986)

Yeah seen it. One of my top 5 favorite projects in Houston, love the density. 100 more like this!

It hasn't been added to the proposed buildings list yet but there are four towers. Shortest one is 11 stories, next shortest is 20 stories, next one is 22 stories, and the tallest is 24 stories.

The apartments are 8 stories tall and there are a few other short 2-3 story buildings.

Urbannizer Dec 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 6377760)
The 609 Main tower is going to be a beast! Gonna have a great view from my loft of the construction action, no doubt about it!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Will you take some pics for us when it goes up? :)

Urbannizer Dec 18, 2013 3:20 PM

EC3, 4, & 5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7291/1...7853166c_b.jpg

Reverberation Dec 18, 2013 10:33 PM

This from today's Chron;

Quote:

Office building to replace Galleria-area wedding venue
Posted on December 18, 2013 | By Nancy Sarnoff

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...dg-600x447.jpg

Construction is expected to start early next year on a 13-story office building in the Galleria that will be marketed to tenants looking for “luxury” space and an “exclusive address,” brokerage firm Jones Lang LaSalle announced Wednesday.

The 135,000-square-foot building will be developed at 1885 St. James Place, where the Courtyard on St. James Place now stands. The special events venue has for years hosted weddings, banquets and business functions.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...ue/?cmpid=hpts

N90 Dec 19, 2013 1:22 AM

Infill. Keep filling in the gaps in Uptown's skyline Houston! More structural density!!

Houston's #3 now behind NYC and Chicago (just barely).

rdavis4559 Dec 19, 2013 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 6378998)
Infill. Keep filling in the gaps in Uptown's skyline Houston! More structural density!!

Houston's #3 now behind NYC and Chicago (just barely).

Just barely in what respect? Existing or under construction? Barely behind Chicago or barely making #3 with another city close behind?

N90 Dec 19, 2013 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdavis4559 (Post 6379056)
Just barely in what respect? Existing or under construction? Barely behind Chicago or barely making #3 with another city close behind?

Yes, 10 + story buildings proposed/on-hold/under-construction.

NYC 242
Chicago 76
Houston 73
LA 72
Miami 68
SF 48
Atlanta 45
Boston 44
Philly 43
Seattle 41
DC 38
Austin 35
Dallas 29

It moves up to #2 in the US when the 4 Westheimer buildings and resurrected M59 are added in the mix. 242 for NYC, next 78 for Houston followed by 76 for Chicago.

TowerSpotter Dec 19, 2013 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 6379077)
Yes, 10 + story buildings proposed/on-hold/under-construction.

NYC 242
Chicago 76
Houston 73
LA 72
Miami 68
SF 48
Atlanta 45
Boston 44
Philly 43
Seattle 41
DC 38
Austin 35
Dallas 29

It moves up to #2 in the US when the 4 Westheimer buildings and resurrected M59 are added in the mix. 242 for NYC, next 78 for Houston followed by 76 for Chicago.

Haha someone is keeping track!!!

N90 Dec 19, 2013 3:40 AM

Houston's going hulk.

It's fun to sit back and watch. A boom is so an art in its own right.

Light the fireworks in Houston for me guys. Every month. There will be another building start moving dirt and others proposed. :)

glowrock Dec 19, 2013 3:54 AM

N90, I appreciate someone who's excited for the future of their city, but wow, could you perhaps tone down on the abject boosterism and homerism, even just a tiny bit? ;)

Aaron (Glowrock)

N90 Dec 19, 2013 3:57 AM

No.

I don't like to try new things. Houston's not my city either. ;)

AviationGuy Dec 19, 2013 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 6379139)
No.

I don't like to try new things. Houston's not my city either. ;)

Every now and then, it's actually nice to see someone from somewhere else excited about things in Houston. That's a big change from what we're used to at SSP.

N90 Dec 19, 2013 4:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 6379157)
It's actually nice to see someone from somewhere else excited about things in Houston. That's a big change from what we're used to at SSP.

I'm in Houston right now. Spending the winter here but this isn't my hometown or where I'm from.

I've never lived in a non-booming city before in my life and I've lived in 3 countries. Houston's just on fire, 7-8 (or more) big projects a month? All I have to say us the crane is my favorite thing to see in the sky. Infill to me is what a Twinkie is to a sugar-rush happy kid.

AviationGuy Dec 19, 2013 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 6379162)
I'm in Houston right now. Spending the winter here but this isn't my hometown or where I'm from.

I've never lived in a non-booming city before in my life and I've lived in 3 countries. Houston's just on fire, 7-8 (or more) big projects a month? All I have to say us the crane is my favorite thing to see in the sky. Infill to me is what a Twinkie is to a sugar-rush happy kid.

Just curious...what part of town are you living in? If I can ever get some circumstances to change, I'll be there as soon as I can sell my current house. The problem is, every month I wait, the more I get priced out of living there. I want to live in an area that is booming, but I'm afraid it won't be affordable by the time I get there.

rdavis4559 Dec 19, 2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 6379180)
Just curious...what part of town are you living in? If I can ever get some circumstances to change, I'll be there as soon as I can sell my current house. The problem is, every month I wait, the more I get priced out of living there. I want to live in an area that is booming, but I'm afraid it won't be affordable by the time I get there.

I don't know where N90 is but I live across from Hermann Golf Course which is next to Mosaic. I've seen the infill take its course even in my little section of Houston for the past two years I've lived here. Before then I lived near Willowbrook and also Steeplechase and same experience there, as if during my childhood the beltway became the new 610 and everything around boomed. Even the new construction along the north beltway in the last three or four years is amazing.

glowrock Dec 19, 2013 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 6379157)
Every now and then, it's actually nice to see someone from somewhere else excited about things in Houston. That's a big change from what we're used to at SSP.

I agree it's nice to see someone from somewhere actually excited about what's going on in Houston, AviationGuy. I just wish N90 would tone it down just a little bit, that's all. Being a huge booster isn't much better than being a huge detractor in the overall scheme of things. Both extremes tend to turn people off.

Aaron (Glowrock)

toxteth o'grady Dec 19, 2013 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverberation (Post 6378800)

Has anyone explained how 13 stories with floor plates ranging from 13,000 to 17,000sf equals only 135,000 sf of rentable space? I'm guessing about three floors are parking.

toxteth o'grady Dec 19, 2013 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoninATX (Post 6377994)
Smh... I couldn't agree more kingkirby. I say the heck with it, just move this project next to a rail station in downtown.

I think now that some of the neighbors have gotten their backsheesh, this project can proceed. I note that only some of the plaintiffs were awarded anything, and I haven't seen that the decision stops the project.

toxteth o'grady Dec 19, 2013 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowerSpotter (Post 6374907)
102 Story Tower

Found by Urbannizer like an hour ago.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...planned/page-5

I like the thought, but who's providing the money? And will the FAA let it happen?

toxteth o'grady Dec 19, 2013 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 6379125)
Houston's going hulk.

Just so long as this isn't irrational exuberance.

Urbannizer Dec 19, 2013 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6379522)
I like the thought, but who's providing the money? And will the FAA let it happen?

There are no airport imposed height restrictions for downtown.

Urbannizer Dec 19, 2013 5:05 PM

22 Waugh: New renderings, construction begins 1Q of next year.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/1...993b3acc_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5532/1...55b51322_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/1...4a7038aa_b.jpg

Urbannizer Dec 19, 2013 8:13 PM

Camden Property Trust will build on two blocks in downtown. Phase one begins in Spring 2015 which will include a 12-story tower. Phase two begins in Spring 2017. Total of 518 units. #31 on the new development map.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3697/1...3700b7a5_b.jpg

http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...ects_11x17.pdf

Double L Dec 19, 2013 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6379535)

There was back when the Chase Tower was built. They had to shorten that one. Unless the laws have changed today...

toxteth o'grady Dec 19, 2013 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6379535)

Hmm, that's what killed the last proposal back in 1982. No restrictions, but it's tough to get insurance.

Urbannizer Dec 19, 2013 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 6379936)
There was back when the Chase Tower was built. They had to shorten that one. Unless the laws have changed today...

I believe that's an urban myth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6379951)
Hmm, that's what killed the last proposal back in 1982. No restrictions, but it's tough to get insurance.

Bank of the Southwest Tower? Height restrictions did not kill it, the 1980s oil bust did. It also killed many other towers that were proposed to be well above 1,000ft.

dgpatel Dec 19, 2013 9:38 PM

Chevron puts downtown tower on hold

Quote:

Less than six months after announcing plans to build a 50-story office tower downtown and creating what it called an “urban campus” for its growing Houston workforce, Chevron Corp. said those plans are now on hold as the company focuses its resources elsewhere.

“Chevron continues to maintain a strong balance sheet and operating cash flow, but the company is in a unique, capitally-intensive period that will drive peer-leading production and value growth,” spokesman Justin Higgs said Thursday.

Higgs said Chevron is still committed to building the tower, as well as a few other real estate projects it had planned around the country that are also being suspended. A large office building project in Midland is moving forward.

The company does not expect to make a decision on when the project could resume until after 2014, Higgs said. Delaying the building, he added, will not affect previously announced employee relocations into Houston.
Source

WOW! WTF?? Definitely didn't see this coming. Any thoughts why?

Urbannizer Dec 19, 2013 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgpatel (Post 6379977)
Source

WOW! WTF?? Definitely didn't see this coming. Any thoughts why?

This was posted on HAIF, a few days before the announcement.

Quote:

A few notes:
  • Chevron has delayed the start of this project until 2015 for multiple reasons, one of them being to allow more time for the design.
  • The tower will get built, there have been 0 discussions regarding cancellation.
  • The height of the tower was increased shortly after the project was awarded to the GC. (they added two floors)
  • With the additional time for design there are discussions regarding the desired height for the tower, nothing is currently set in stone and anyone who throws out a height figure right now needs to understand that the height of the tower is FLEXIBLE with the start of construction pushed out.

WesternSon Dec 19, 2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6379986)
This was posted on HAIF, a few days before the announcement.

Super interesting in that of all the majors Chevron probably has the best balance sheet and cash flow (outside of Exxon of course). They have way more oil production vs. natural gas and have pretty much been killing it all around the last 24 months. I am sure this building costs around 300-400 million?, says a lot when that is the cost of just one deepwater Gulf of Mexico well.

Double L Dec 19, 2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6379973)
I believe that's an urban myth.

That is not an urban myth. Go inside the Chase Tower. They have a graphic telling you about the building in the lobby and they say that is true.

Double L Dec 19, 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6379973)

Bank of the Southwest Tower? Height restrictions did not kill it, the 1980s oil bust did. It also killed many other towers that were proposed to be well above 1,000ft.

Bank of the Southwest Tower was proposed in 1987, not 1982, he is referring to the Chase Tower.

Urbannizer Dec 20, 2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 6380190)
Bank of the Southwest Tower was proposed in 1987, not 1982, he is referring to the Chase Tower.

Bank of the Southwest Tower was proposed in 82', and was to be completed in 86'. He was not referring to Chase Tower. He said "that's what killed the last proposal back in 1982"; Chase Tower stands today.

http://www.emporis.com/building/bank...houston-tx-usa

Urbannizer Dec 20, 2013 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Grocers Supply warehouse on Interstate 10 to become apartments, retail

Houston developers will build a mixed-use project, including upscale apartment and retailcomponents, on a 15-acre tract of desirable that is close in to downtown, replacing a large produce warehouse that occupied the space for decades.

Capcor Partners and Kaplan Management, which develop retail and residential properties, bought the land this week from Houston-based Grocers Supply, which has occupied the site at the corner of Studemont and Interstate-10 for 42 years.

Grocers Supply, a Houston-based wholesale supplier for independent grocery stores in Texas and Oklahoma, will remain in the location until its new facility is completed within the next two years. Jim Arnold, vice president of real estate at Grocers Supply, said the company has property under contract for the replacement site, but does not yet own the land. The company has not yet announced its new location.

Josh Aruh of Capcor, which specializes in retail developments, said it's rare to find such a large piece of land in the Inner Loop and the new project will make a "big footprint" on the area.

Aruh said he has already discussed possibilities for the property, including grocers, cinemas, restaurants and several big box retailers. The developers also are working with the city to expand a road to split the property and reduce traffic, he said.

Michael Kaplan of Kaplan Management, which specializes in multifamily developments, said he hopes to include up to 400 high-end apartments, on the land, on top of the retail and commercial uses, to meet the demand for housing in the area.

Full Article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...hp?cmpid=btfpm

Double L Dec 20, 2013 3:53 AM

The Chase Tower was shortened when it was built due to the flight patterns coming out of Hobby.

cloud713 Dec 20, 2013 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 6380420)
The Chase Tower was shortened when it was built due to the flight patterns coming out of Hobby.

I heard the chase tower was actually increased in height.. That's why there is a sky lobby at the 60th floor, because that was the original planned roof of the building.

Double L Dec 20, 2013 7:17 PM

Maybe. The main reason for the skylobby is that from there you can quickly get to any level of the building. Increasing height is also very expensive and risky as you don't know whether or not you have the demand. Do you have a source for this?

Wikipedia backs up what I said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorga..._%28Houston%29

Urbannizer Dec 20, 2013 8:43 PM

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/1...190c2015_b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Ballpark apartments break ground

About a year after it was announced, the seven-story luxury apartment complex set to go up next to Minute Maid Park has broken ground, the developer said Friday.
The Finger Cos. is developing the new complex, which will be built on two blocks just west of the ballpark. One of the blocks used to house the old Ben Milam Hotel. The 10-story building was demolished last year.

The new apartment building at 500 Crawford are expected to have 380 units. It was designed by Atlanta-based Niles Bolton Associates. The design will mirror the style of the Astros’ home, with a stone, stucco and decorative iron exterior, the developer said.

Finger Cos., which also built the nearby One Park Place apartment tower, said the floors in the new property will be separated by six inches of concrete and insulated by double-paned sliding glass doors like in the tower. The units will be “virtually noise free,” the company said.

Renters will have access to such amenities as a sixth-floor “sports lounge,” an outdoor deck on the seventh-floor that will overlook the ballpark, swimming pools and a fitness center. The unit’s finishes will include wood and ceramic-tile floors and luxury-pile carpet, as well as gas-fired cooktops, hardwood cabinets and freestanding islands with under-the-counter wine coolers.

Leasing will start in May 2015.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...nd/#19082101=1

llamaorama Dec 20, 2013 10:13 PM

Closing Grocery Supply will take the northernmost segment of the railroad tracks OST crosses along with it, right?

Seems like they could finally extend the Columbia Tap trail to at least Holcombe

Urbannizer Dec 20, 2013 10:23 PM

Crane is up for Astoria, the crane for BHP Billiton will be up by Jan 6th.

By Skylineview on HAIF:
http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/...pse67b6be7.jpg

AviationGuy Dec 21, 2013 1:42 AM

Outstanding. More infill for downtown.

East7thStreet Dec 21, 2013 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviationGuy (Post 6381593)
Outstanding. More infill for downtown.

This is smack dab in the middle of DT Houston and next to the ballpark....... but no ground level retail??? It's the most important thing an urban area needs....a human scaled experience at street level that is pleasant to the pedestrian. The extra people living DT is a bonus..... but it frustrates me that Houston continues to shun the pedestrian experience.

Urbannizer Dec 21, 2013 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by East7thStreet (Post 6381666)
This is smack dab in the middle of DT Houston and next to the ballpark....... but no ground level retail??? It's the most important thing an urban area needs....a human scaled experience at street level that is pleasant to the pedestrian. The extra people living DT is a bonus..... but it frustrates me that Houston continues to shun the pedestrian experience.

Downtown is no longer shunning the pedestrian experience. As seen from this rendering given by the article, the project will have ground floor retail. This link here also says it will have retail (#16): http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...ects_11x17.pdf

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/1...65c8104f_b.jpg

Urbannizer Dec 21, 2013 5:42 PM

Southwestern Energy HQ: By cloud713

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...psiiawyais.jpg

toxteth o'grady Dec 22, 2013 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6381718)
Downtown is no longer shunning the pedestrian experience. As seen from this rendering given by the article, the project will have ground floor retail. This link here also says it will have retail (#16): http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...ects_11x17.pdf

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/25/35/70.../1024x1024.jpg

Nice sleight of hand. I think it also subtracted a story.:runaway:

cloud713 Dec 22, 2013 4:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L (Post 6381138)
Maybe. The main reason for the skylobby is that from there you can quickly get to any level of the building. Increasing height is also very expensive and risky as you don't know whether or not you have the demand. Do you have a source for this?

Wikipedia backs up what I said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorga..._%28Houston%29

I don't have a source, I read that on a post over on haif. They said they emailed one of the architects of the building and that's what they told them. Back in the early 80s before the bust demand was higher than it's ever been so an increase in height isn't far fetched

Wattleigh Dec 22, 2013 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6382354)
Nice sleight of hand. I think it also subtracted a story.:runaway:

Both views show 7 floors.

On another topic, the extension to the MetroRail Red Line opened yesterday...

http://www.chron.com/news/transporta...ee-5084594.php

AustinTay Dec 22, 2013 11:10 PM

http://blogs.ridemetro.org/images/wr...antatrain1.jpg

glowrock Dec 23, 2013 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattleigh (Post 6382723)
Both views show 7 floors.

On another topic, the extension to the MetroRail Red Line opened yesterday...

http://www.chron.com/news/transporta...ee-5084594.php

Nice to see a new red line extension open up. That being said, it drives me crazy that the corridors that need new service the most aren't likely to get it any time in the near to long-term future, that being Greenway/Uptown/Galleria. I understand that this isn't METRO's fault, but rather than the city and the rich uppity residents who live in a lot of these areas. METRO's problem is having to deal with a large percentage of Houstonians who simply refuse to acknowledge rail, heck even buses, need to exist in the first place. A line is desperately needed along Westheimer, but perhaps Alabama might work instead? And obviously a connection along Post Oak as well. Glad that U of H is going to be served shortly by the southern extension that will be opening relatively shortly as well, of course.

All in all, I'm glad Houston's finally making at least a LITTLE headway when it comes to rail, but unfortunately being street-level makes it incredibly slow as well. There are substantial areas that should have been elevated, no doubt about it.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Urbannizer Dec 23, 2013 4:34 AM

*bump*