SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

hehehe Apr 11, 2022 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9594854)
Ha ya well it's over twice the distance, then add in 4 or 5 mountain passes to cross, then know the route resembles a heart monitor readout lol.

LOL. I guess a better example would be like Val-D'or to Toronto (although they have flights but still)

Dominion301 Apr 11, 2022 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9594734)
Good to know, thanks for the replies. That region is quite a mystery to me so I don't pretend to know the particulars or regional tidbits that make up those places, so this makes sense.

I wasn't so surprsied by the Maritimes, they are decenty represented. It was the 7 Ontario locations that struck me, for some reason I always assumed there'd be more Jazz destinations there than in BC, that's why the list surprised me most. But from 7 to 10 is good, and do you think the pretty much covers all the main towns in Ontario? Or are they some that are unserved by Ac but are fairly major?

The problem with Sarnia is a) at 80K population, is small by S. Ontario standards, b) it's almost as fast to drive to Toronto as it is to flying (< 1 hr difference back when it was possible) and c) it's only an hour's drive to YXU.

The problem for Kingston is it's as fast to drive, bus or train to Toronto or Ottawa than it was to fly to YYZ. Way, way back there was even a daily YGK-YOW-YUL flight on a CP ATR...was used to rotate aircraft between YYZ and Eastern Canada regional ops. Now YGK is getting Pascan to YUL. While Montreal is 3 hours driving from Kingston, the fact that YGK is on the western edge of Kingston means flying is at best a wash. Pascan will be relying entirely on interline partner feed to make this route work. At least with YGK-YYZ, the airport's west and was useful for a tiny bit of O&D heading from Kingston to the western GTA where bus & train don't work. So there it was drive vs fly with flying being maybe 15 minutes faster.

samuelx88 Apr 11, 2022 7:13 PM

There's also Sherbrooke and Trois-Rivières in Québec which both have a population of over 100k but no air service. I think AC could fly at least once daily with a Q400 from yyz to these two cities and make it viable. The only problem right now is I'm not sure if they have security at these airports.

Dominion301 Apr 11, 2022 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelx88 (Post 9595437)
There's also Sherbrooke and Trois-Rivières in Québec which both have a population of over 100k but no air service. I think AC could fly at least once daily with a Q400 from yyz to these two cities and make it viable. The only problem right now is I'm not sure if they have security at these airports.

That's exactly it Samuel. They both have inadequate terminals to handle airline ops on anything bigger than a 19 seater.

Dominion301 Apr 11, 2022 7:26 PM

De Havilland are going to be restarting water bomber production with the next gen DHC-515 (formerly CL-515): https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...887836666.html

They already have commitments for 23 aircraft.

Dominion301 Apr 11, 2022 7:28 PM

Lynx' inaugural flight departed today: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...863735928.html

Dominion301 Apr 11, 2022 7:30 PM

WS' first 738F has arrived at YYC: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...840911471.html

Any idea other than to YYZ where it'll fly?

thewave46 Apr 11, 2022 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9595468)
Lynx' inaugural flight departed today: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...863735928.html

I am more curious when their last one will be.

kwoldtimer Apr 11, 2022 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9595582)

Before or after the last Flair flight? We could start a pool ...

Denscity Apr 11, 2022 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelx88 (Post 9595437)

I'm surprised at this. I assumed because of both cities' population that they would have more flights than my small town YCG airport.
But no.

thenoflyzone Apr 11, 2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9595759)
I'm surprised at this. I assumed because of both cities' population that they would have more flights than my small town YCG airport.
But no.

They're both within a 1.5 hour drive from YUL. No treacherous mountain passes to navigate, or flooded valleys.

Castlegar to YVR is an 8hr drive. If the Fraser valley is flooded, it could take over a month....;) Calgary ain't much shorter either.

So yeah...

Population isn't everything. Just look at YEG.

Denscity Apr 11, 2022 11:45 PM

How far is YXX from YVR?

nname Apr 12, 2022 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9595809)
How far is YXX from YVR?

About 70km, or 1hr drive on a good day with light traffic. Longer if you got stuck near the tunnel.

hehehe Apr 12, 2022 2:35 AM

https://www.insauga.com/mississauga-...ound-on-plane/
Looks like 5 crew members detained too. Not a good look...

casper Apr 12, 2022 7:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9595582)

Time will tell. Will Lynx or Flair suspend operations first? I suspect Lynx will out live Flair by a month or two.

thenoflyzone Apr 12, 2022 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9595809)
How far is YXX from YVR?

YXX serves Greater Vancouver. Not the same thing. Or did you really think the 153,000 people living in Abbotsford are exclusively the ones filling those flights at YXX?

This is no different than YYZ/YHM, or YUL/YMX in the 70s, 80s and 90s, or YEG/YCD back when the latter was open, etc.

YRQ and YSC are too far (more than 140km) to serve Greater Montreal adequately, but too close to enable them to attract any meaningful service.

Any airport that is within ~70-80 km of a major city essentially serves that city, even if it technically lies in another jurisdiction. YHM and YXX fit that description perfectly.

thenoflyzone Apr 12, 2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9595986)
About 70km, or 1hr drive on a good day with light traffic. Longer if you got stuck near the tunnel.

I think he knows very well the distance from YXX to Vancouver. He was just trying to counter my argument.

Didnt really work though....;)

BenYOW Apr 12, 2022 1:25 PM

KF Aerospace has announced the launch of KF Aeroflyer, a passenger charter carrier tailored to the leisure, tourism and work force transportation markets. Operations are currently based in Kelowna and Calgary using two former WestJet Boeing 737-600s configured with 119 seats and onboard wi-fi.

KF Aerospace Press Release
Quote:

KF Aerospace is excited to introduce new passenger air charter services for the leisure, tourism and work force transportation markets. Based in Western Canada, Aeroflyer will provide domestic and international charter programs using a fleet of B737NG aircraft.

Aeroflyer is a new enterprise from KF Aerospace, Canada’s largest commercial aircraft maintenance provider and an air operator with nearly 50 years of flying experience in passenger and cargo charters. The Aeroflyer Charter Operations Team brings an additional 40 years of expertise with charter aviation programs, offering customers objectivity, product knowledge and value.

The Aeroflyer fleet of B737NG aircraft provides narrow-body capability with superior reliability and operational efficiency, along with a full suite of on-board services including custom catering, and wireless in-flight entertainment powered by Bluebox Aviation Systems.

“We are proud to deliver a premium service dedicated to safety and reliability, backed by seamless support from KF’s world-class aerospace engineering and maintenance divisions,” says Chief Operating Officer, Gregg Evjen. “KF has provided flight operations continuously since 1974 with a high-level of reliability for passenger, cargo and VIP clients. Aeroflyer is a natural extension of this expertise that leverages our multifaceted capabilities. “

With aircraft currently based in Kelowna and Calgary, Aeroflyer will be positioning for growth beyond Western Canada. “In the coming months we plan to expand our fleet across the country to support national and international customers,” says Aeroflyer Charter Operations Manager, Nick Samuel. “We’re excited to provide the market with nimble, responsive and highly efficient charter solutions.”
Video Link

Airboy Apr 12, 2022 3:21 PM

Isn't KF the original owner of Flair.

Denscity Apr 12, 2022 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 9595986)

How about YKA and YLW?