SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Dominion301 Apr 5, 2022 11:20 PM

Canadian North are reinstating direct YUL-YFB service on days 24 with the re-introduction of the YVP-YFB leg of the traditional YUL-YVP-YFB route.

Also of note, 5T have brought back their old same-plane YOW-YFB-YRT-YZF service a couple of days per week.

Here's a cool video of the original Canadian North division of CP way back in 1988 (which before that was Nordair) stopping in at YUX Hall Beach on the 737-200 combi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSjtbXxElw&t=1s

That's the first time I'd ever seen a 732C without a built-in rear airstair - and how about the forklift delivering the airstair to the L2 door still with Nordair markings!

Back in my airline days, I briefly pit stopped at YUX once on a diverted 727 for fuel after being unable to land at YRB Resolute Bay. Jet service to YUX ended sometime around 1990.

zahav Apr 6, 2022 2:37 AM

So glad to see Jim Liu is back, I really loved airlineroute.net, it was one of my daily pages to check. I didn't realize he was back with a new domain, thanks for posting it!

thenoflyzone Apr 6, 2022 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9590166)
So glad to see Jim Liu is back, I really loved airlineroute.net, it was one of my daily pages to check. I didn't realize he was back with a new domain, thanks for posting it!

:tup:

whatnext Apr 6, 2022 6:41 PM

The saga continues. Could the jig finally be up for the investment scheme that is Flair Airlines?

Flair Airlines faces possible loss of operating licence after regulatory finding over control of company
ERIC ATKINS TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
PUBLISHED 32 MINUTES AGO

The federal transportation regulator has determined Edmonton-based Flair Airlines might be in violation of the law that requires it to be controlled by Canadians.

Flair faces the loss of its operating licence to fly in Canada if the Canadian Transportation Agency’s preliminary ruling, issued March 3, is finalized after a review.

In an email to the Globe, Flair denied it is in violation of Canadian laws. But the Globe has learned Flair has requested from Transport Canada an 18-month extension to address the regulator’s concerns.

“Flair is requesting an 18-month exemption while the company revises its corporate governance and financing structure to ensure it continues to meet the Canadian ownership and control requirements of its domestic and international licences,” said a letter from Transport Canada to industry participants, a copy of which was obtained by the Globe and Mail. “[The CTA] has given Flair 60 days (until May 3) to respond to their concerns, which relate to corporate governance and corporate finance.”..

... The CTA said a panel of its members found Flair “may not be controlled in fact by Canadians and may, therefore, not be ‘Canadian,’ as defined in the Canada Transportation Act.”...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...licence-after/

Airboy Apr 6, 2022 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9589987)
Canadian North are reinstating direct YUL-YFB service on days 24 with the re-introduction of the YVP-YFB leg of the traditional YUL-YVP-YFB route.

Also of note, 5T have brought back their old same-plane YOW-YFB-YRT-YZF service a couple of days per week.

Here's a cool video of the original Canadian North division of CP way back in 1988 (which before that was Nordair) stopping in at YUX Hall Beach on the 737-200 combi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSjtbXxElw&t=1s

That's the first time I'd ever seen a 732C without a built-in rear airstair - and how about the forklift delivering the airstair to the L2 door still with Nordair markings!

Back in my airline days, I briefly pit stopped at YUX once on a diverted 727 for fuel after being unable to land at YRB Resolute Bay. Jet service to YUX ended sometime around 1990.

YOW-YFB-YRT-YZF that was the flight I liked the best for trips to Iqauit or Rankin From YEG. Could pick it up on the way west if there was weather issues coming. was on that 727 a lot over the years as well. I d miss my eastern arctic trips. Seems to be Yukon now.

My first time on Baffin going up to YIO (Pond Inlet) was through YUL and YFB. Most others were either YZF and then the last ones were through YOW.

hehehe Apr 7, 2022 2:12 AM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...licence-after/
Flair Airlines faces possible loss of operating licence after Canadian control of company questioned
The federal transportation regulator has determined that Edmonton-based Flair Airlines may be in violation of the law that requires it to be controlled by Canadians.

Flair faces the loss of its operating licence to fly in Canada if the Canadian Transportation Agency’s preliminary ruling, issued March 3, is finalized after a review.

In an e-mail to The Globe and Mail, Flair denied that it is in violation of Canadian laws. But The Globe has learned it has asked Transport Canada for an 18-month exemption from the Canadian control law in order to address the regulator’s concerns.

“Flair is requesting an 18-month exemption while the company revises its corporate governance and financing structure to ensure it continues to meet the Canadian ownership and control requirements of its domestic and international licences,” said a letter from Transport Canada to industry participants, a copy of which was obtained by The Globe. The CTA “has given Flair 60 days (until May 3) to respond to their concerns, which relate to corporate governance and corporate finance.”

Transport Canada said it was unable to immediately respond to questions.

A Canadian airline that flies domestically or internationally must be 51-per-cent owned by Canadians with no single foreign entity owning more than 25 per cent. Additionally, foreigners cannot exert control over the airline, a situation the CTA calls “control in fact.”

The CTA said a panel of its members found Flair “may not be controlled in fact by Canadians and may, therefore, not be ‘Canadian,’ as defined in the Canada Transportation Act.”

The CTA said there is no timeline for its final ruling. “The panel will consider all evidence and if it determines at the end of the process that Flair is not Canadian, Flair’s licences would be suspended,” the agency said in an e-mail.

In a statement to The Globe, Stephen Jones, Flair’s chief executive officer, denied the carrier has violated the laws and said Flair will co-operate with the CTA. “Flair Airlines is a Canadian airline and is controlled by Canadians both in law and in fact,” Mr. Jones said.

Flair did not immediately respond to follow-up questions about its exemption request.

The CTA defines control in fact as “the power, whether exercised or not, to control the strategic decision-making activities of an enterprise and to manage and run its day-to-day operations. Those who may have the power to influence a company’s decisions can include minority owners, designated representatives, financial institutions, employees and others.”

The CTA is an independent tribunal that has the powers of a court. Its decisions may be appealed to the Transportation Appeals Tribunal.

Flair is 25-per-cent owned by Miami-based investment firm 777 Partners, which was founded in 2015 by Steven Pasko and Joshua Craig Wander, the airline has told The Globe. In November, Flair said it was 58-per-cent owned by Canadians. Its five-person board of directors incudes three Americans who either own part of 777 Partners or are employed by 777 Partners, according to incorporation filings in British Columbia. Questions sent to a spokesperson for 777 Partners were not answered.

The Globe first reported the CTA investigation in December in a story about the airline’s aggressive expansion plans amid the pandemic.

In January, 2021, while most airlines were trying to survive the collapse in demand for travel, Flair unveiled an ambitious plan to fly 13 new Boeing 737 Max passenger jets. The planes would be leased from 777 Partners.

Within five years, Flair said, it would have 50 planes, a remarkable achievement for a carrier that had a fleet of three.

The Globe has obtained a copy of Flair’s application to Transport Canada for an 18-month exemption to the Canadian control laws. The 11-page submission, dated April 4, says shutting down the airline would eliminate 1,000 jobs and limit Canadians’ options for a low-cost airline that flies to underserved markets.

The airline said it needs more time to address the CTA’s objections to the involvement of 777 Partners, which it said offered stability when no other financial backing was available.

“This support included providing operating capital by way of debt to Flair, as well as enabling Flair to access new aircraft that, given its balance sheet and credit status, Flair would not have been able to obtain on its own,” the airline said, adding, “Suspending Flair’s operations would be contrary to public interest and a temporary ministerial exemption to forestall the possible consequences is appropriate.”

WestJet Airlines’ vice-president of government relations, Andrew Gibbons, said the Calgary-based airline will urge Transport Canada to reject Flair’s exemption request. Flair’s foreign investment was used to pay for fleet expansion, giving it an unfair advantage by breaking the rules, Mr. Gibbons said.

“With this exemption request formally submitted, it is a confirmation that Flair is knowingly violating the longstanding regulations around foreign ownership and has no plan under way to mitigate this situation,” Mr. Gibbons said. “It is WestJet’s expectation that Transport Canada will reject the 18-month exemption request and uphold a final CTA ruling that confirms Flair is in violation of Canadian aviation policy.”

John Gradek, who teaches aviation leadership at McGill University, said it appears Flair is trying to leverage its ties to regional airports to stay alive. “They have brought this on themselves. They seem to be flaunting the regulations,” Mr. Gradek said, noting there is nothing in the laws that allows airlines to be foreign-owned simply because they serve small cities.

Flair did not receive a bailout loan under a government program to help large employers survive the pandemic, unlike rivals Air Canada, Porter Airlines, Transat and Sunwing Airlines. But it did receive $11.3-million in grants in 2021 and 2022 from two other federal programs, according to government data.

Transport Canada said in its letter to industry participants that it will be examining the “public interest and innovation rationales” for Flair’s requested exemption from Canadian control laws and has asked for their opinions on the matter.

Flair is in a legal battle with its largest Canadian investor, Prescott Strategic Investments, which is partly owned by Flair’s former CEO, Jim Scott. Flair won a sealing order and publication ban on that lawsuit.

The CTA has told The Globe that its investigation began as part of its routine monitoring of the industry.

The allegation that Flair is controlled in fact by U.S. investors was also made in a harassment and wrongful dismissal lawsuit filed by a former Flair finance official, Jocelyn Harris. The airline has sued the former employee for her comments in the Globe story, alleging she disclosed confidential information.

Ms. Harris, in her statement of defence, denied she violated any confidentiality conditions and said Flair’s lawsuit was an “improper” attempt to intimidate he

zahav Apr 7, 2022 5:51 AM

Air Canada suspending YVR-DEL until September, citing the Russian airspace closing and the difficulty in rerouting/refuelling. They will continue to operate YYZ and YUL routes though. Looking at the GC maps, those routes also cross over Russian space, unless there's a secret tunnel from Eastern Canada to India? I wonder if this is just an excuse by Air Canada, maybe the competition from AI is hurting them? I am not sure what the case is, will be interesting to see if they reinstate it or just keep from YYZ and YUL. Extending to September also implies they think the war with Russia will be going until at least then, which as an awful thought. Not sure what Air India's situation is or if they would beef up the route with Air Canada gone or not. Personally I was surprised Air India even started flying here. The Vancouver community is predominantly Punjabi, and there is a strong dislike of Air India due to it's perceived connection to the Hindu-majority. For that reason many Punjabis preferred Air Canada. Air Canada is banking on all of those YVR-origin pax to connect in YYZ and YUL without minding, and people probably won't care because the other options are so limited (esp. with the other Asian flights ex-YVR pared down so much). Have a strong feeling AC is really doing this to see if that works and then axe YVR permanently

thenoflyzone Apr 7, 2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9591425)
Air Canada suspending YVR-DEL until September, citing the Russian airspace closing and the difficulty in rerouting/refuelling. They will continue to operate YYZ and YUL routes though. Looking at the GC maps, those routes also cross over Russian space, unless there's a secret tunnel from Eastern Canada to India? I wonder if this is just an excuse by Air Canada, maybe the competition from AI is hurting them? I am not sure what the case is, will be interesting to see if they reinstate it or just keep from YYZ and YUL. Extending to September also implies they think the war with Russia will be going until at least then, which as an awful thought. Not sure what Air India's situation is or if they would beef up the route with Air Canada gone or not. Personally I was surprised Air India even started flying here. The Vancouver community is predominantly Punjabi, and there is a strong dislike of Air India due to it's perceived connection to the Hindu-majority. For that reason many Punjabis preferred Air Canada. Air Canada is banking on all of those YVR-origin pax to connect in YYZ and YUL without minding, and people probably won't care because the other options are so limited (esp. with the other Asian flights ex-YVR pared down so much). Have a strong feeling AC is really doing this to see if that works and then axe YVR permanently

AI can still overfly Russia. AC cannot. India doesn't want to jeapordize its relationship with Russia, and so didn't join the sanctions/airspace closure bandgwagon of the West.

This being said, AC's press release from yesterday confirms they have every intention of returning on YVR-DEL. This is a temporary suspension, for monsoon season. (Lower demand, higher chance of thunderstorms in the area, meaning more chances of diversions, etc)

I touched on this subject, starting back at the bottom of page 644, and page 645.

Canada-India flights used to be polar flights (you departed Canada and headed straight north, towards Russia). Because of the airspace restrictions, they are now de facto transatlantic flights.

Look at the great circle map I posted on page 645. As with all transatlantic flights, YUL/YYZ-DEL are now much shorter than YVR-DEL with the airspace closures.

Dominion301 Apr 7, 2022 3:32 PM

YOW February pax stats:

Sector / Feb-21 / Feb-22 / % Change
Dom: / 19,182 / 103,471 / +439.4%
TB: 0 / 5,271 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 10,432 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 19,182 / 119,174 / +521.3%

Sector / YTD 2020 / YTD 2021 / % Change
Dom: 53,256 / 201,232 / +277.9%
TB: 0 / 10,539 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 20,075 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 53,256 / 231,846 / +335.3%

12 Months Rolling / % Change vs Year End 2020
Dom: 1,291,926 / +25.2%
TB: 21,781 / -86.6%
Int'l: 35,672 / -78.8%
TTL: 1,349,379 / -73.6%

The meaningful indicator these days

Month-Over-Month Change
Sector / Jan-21 / Feb-21 / % Change
Dom: 97,761 / 103,471 / +5.8%
TB: 5,268 / 5,271 / +0.1%
Int'l: 9,643 / 10,432 / +8.2%
TTL: 112,672 / 119,174 / +5.8%
Avg/Day: 3,635 / 4,256 / +17.1%

cranes Apr 9, 2022 4:09 AM

https://www.therecord.com/news/water...oo-region.html

Cocaine bust in Dominican Republic entangles Pivot Airlines before it begins flights from Waterloo Region
Drug control agents in the Dominican Republic say they discovered 210 kilograms of illicit cocaine hidden inside a Pivot Airlines jet heading to Canada
Jeff Outhit
Fri., April 8, 2022

WATERLOO REGION — A new airline that may soon offer flights out of Waterloo Region has been caught up in a big international cocaine bust.

Drug control agents in the Dominican Republic say they discovered 210 kilograms of illicit cocaine hidden inside a Pivot Airlines jet heading to Canada.

The twin-engine jet was about to depart Punta Cana International Airport this week on a private flight to Toronto. Agents searched it and found eight black bags filled with bricks of cocaine. The bags were hidden inside aircraft compartments, a news release from the National Directorate for Drug Control for the Central American country states.

The jet was seized. Eleven people, including nine Canadians, have been detained for questioning, the government agency said.

A Dominican news agency recorded a video of the seizure showing 200 wrapped bricks placed on the tarmac outside the jet.

Video Link

hehehe Apr 9, 2022 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranes (Post 9593693)
https://www.therecord.com/news/water...oo-region.html

Cocaine bust in Dominican Republic entangles Pivot Airlines before it begins flights from Waterloo Region
Drug control agents in the Dominican Republic say they discovered 210 kilograms of illicit cocaine hidden inside a Pivot Airlines jet heading to Canada
Jeff Outhit
Fri., April 8, 2022

WATERLOO REGION — A new airline that may soon offer flights out of Waterloo Region has been caught up in a big international cocaine bust.

Drug control agents in the Dominican Republic say they discovered 210 kilograms of illicit cocaine hidden inside a Pivot Airlines jet heading to Canada.

The twin-engine jet was about to depart Punta Cana International Airport this week on a private flight to Toronto. Agents searched it and found eight black bags filled with bricks of cocaine. The bags were hidden inside aircraft compartments, a news release from the National Directorate for Drug Control for the Central American country states.

The jet was seized. Eleven people, including nine Canadians, have been detained for questioning, the government agency said.

A Dominican news agency recorded a video of the seizure showing 200 wrapped bricks placed on the tarmac outside the jet.

Video Link

Well then... did not expect that. How does this affect their operations? Extremely bad look even if Pivot airlines isn't at fault.

cranes Apr 9, 2022 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9593883)
How does this affect their operations?

They're being restricted to a 10,000 ft maximum cruising altitude - no more flying high. :haha:

zahav Apr 10, 2022 3:57 PM

It's weird, I never realized how many more destinations AC Jazz operates in BC compared to other provinces. I never realized how dramatic the gap is, see below:

NU - 0
NT - 1
PE - I
YT - 1
MB - 1
NS - 2
SK - 2
NB - 3
AB - 4
NL - 4
QC - 6
ON - 7
BC - 15

It's more than twicre as many as ON, which is strange to me. I never really thought about it much before, but seeing it listed out shows the difference. I guess it shows how remote so many BC places are, but still warrant service from Air Canada. The routes are really in all regions and corners of the province. I don't have any knowledge of the composition of Quebec cities, why is it that All of the Jazz Quebec routes are in southern Quebec? Any reason why AC stays clear of northern or eastern Quebec? Is it that the cities are too small or there isn't demand? I know there are some other airlines like First Air and Air Inuit that operate those, was there an agreement that Air Canada would steer clear of these routes and allow the smaller indigenous-owned airlines operate them, or is it just an informal understanding that AC stays off these routes? They also don't service Nunavut at all. Don't know why but just seemed curious to me.

thenoflyzone Apr 10, 2022 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9594496)
It's weird, I never realized how many more destinations AC Jazz operates in BC compared to other provinces. I never realized how dramatic the gap is, see below:

NU - 0
NT - 1
PE - I
YT - 1
MB - 1
NS - 2
SK - 2
NB - 3
AB - 4
NL - 4
QC - 6
ON - 7
BC - 15

It's more than twicre as many as ON, which is strange to me. I never really thought about it much before, but seeing it listed out shows the difference. I guess it shows how remote so many BC places are, but still warrant service from Air Canada. The routes are really in all regions and corners of the province. I don't have any knowledge of the composition of Quebec cities, why is it that All of the Jazz Quebec routes are in southern Quebec? Any reason why AC stays clear of northern or eastern Quebec? Is it that the cities are too small or there isn't demand? I know there are some other airlines like First Air and Air Inuit that operate those, was there an agreement that Air Canada would steer clear of these routes and allow the smaller indigenous-owned airlines operate them, or is it just an informal understanding that AC stays off these routes? They also don't service Nunavut at all. Don't know why but just seemed curious to me.

AC announced a closure of quite a number Jazz stations in QC, ON and the Maritimes right after the pandemic.

YBC, YGP, YYY, YVO in QC
YGK in ON
YWK in NL

YYB and ZBF were part of that list as well, but service has since resumed to both.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...cuts-1.5632874

So there's that. Meaning QC's tally was 10 before the pandemic, and ON was 9. The closures were because in the east, there is more regional competition. Pascan, Bearskin, Air Saint Pierre, PAL, Air Inuit, Air Creebec, Air Liaison. etc. I'm not even counting Porter. You don't have that many regional competitors out west.

As for Nunavik (northern Quebec), that is dominated by Air Inuit and Air Creebec. No sense in fighting for scraps against those two, as its not a level playing field. Not to mention it’s a milk run for those operators from YUL/YQB with the Dash 8s. AC doesn’t want to engage in that type of activity I guess.

A bit of the same thing for Nunavut. YFB is already well served by Canadian North. There is also the fact that YUL/YOW-YFB is a bit too long for the CRJ900, considering there are not many suitable diversion airports near YFB. Whereas the E175, even though it has better range, doesn't handle the cold weather too well. Either way, you can't compete with those combi 737s of Canadian North. If AC returns to YFB, I think it will have to be a mainline CSeries at minimum. They tried the route with a CRJ705 ( a 900 with less seats) back in 2010. Didn’t last long.

Another thing to consider is that at some of those BC destinations, AC has a monopoly on commercial service, such as YCG and YZP. And in others, they only compete with WS, such as in YCD.

casper Apr 10, 2022 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9594530)
AC announced a closure of quite a number Jazz stations in QC, ON and the Maritimes right after the pandemic.

YBC, YGP, YYY, YVO in QC
YGK in ON
YWK in NL

YYB and ZBF were part of that list as well, but service has since resumed to both.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...cuts-1.5632874

So there's that. Meaning QC's tally was 10 before the pandemic, and ON was 9. The closures were because in the east, there is more regional competition. Pascan, Bearskin, Air Saint Pierre, PAL, Air Inuit, Air Creebec, Air Liaison. etc. I'm not even counting Porter. You don't have that many regional competitors out west.

As for Nunavik (northern Quebec), that is dominated by Air Inuit and Air Creebec. No sense in fighting for scraps against those two, as its not a level playing field. Not to mention it’s a milk run for those operators from YUL/YQB with the Dash 8s. AC doesn’t want to engage in that type of activity I guess.

A bit of the same thing for Nunavut. YFB is already well served by Canadian North. There is also the fact that YUL/YOW-YFB is a bit too long for the CRJ900, considering there are not many suitable diversion airports near YFB. Whereas the E175, even though it has better range, doesn't handle the cold weather too well. Either way, you can't compete with those combi 737s of Canadian North. If AC returns to YFB, I think it will have to be a mainline CSeries at minimum. They tried the route with a CRJ705 ( a 900 with less seats) back in 2010. Didn’t last long.

Another thing to consider is that at some of those BC destinations, AC has a monopoly on commercial service, such as YCG and YZP. And in others, they only compete with WS, such as in YCD.

Part of this may also be historical.....

AC use to own NWT Air (a regional 737 operator in the North). AC sold off that business unit to First Air and left that market.

Air BC use to have a strong regional presence in BC before it merged into Jazz.

Air Nova also had a strong Atlantic Canada presence. Atlantic Canada is sub-divided into more provinces than BC so the numbers look lower.

Dominion301 Apr 10, 2022 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9594496)

NU - 0
NT - 1
PE - I
YT - 1
MB - 1
NS - 2
SK - 2
NB - 3
AB - 4
NL - 4
QC - 6
ON - 7
BC - 15

The ON number currently is 10 though not 7 - almost a 50% difference: YQT, YAM, YSB, YTS, YYB, YQG, YXU, YYZ, YTZ, YOW. Used to be 12 until YZR & YGK went away.

As for remote northern QC & ON, AC don't have the right equipment to serve those places, nor the expertise. Same goes in MB & SK.

zahav Apr 10, 2022 10:10 PM

Good to know, thanks for the replies. That region is quite a mystery to me so I don't pretend to know the particulars or regional tidbits that make up those places, so this makes sense.

I wasn't so surprsied by the Maritimes, they are decenty represented. It was the 7 Ontario locations that struck me, for some reason I always assumed there'd be more Jazz destinations there than in BC, that's why the list surprised me most. But from 7 to 10 is good, and do you think the pretty much covers all the main towns in Ontario? Or are they some that are unserved by Ac but are fairly major?

hehehe Apr 10, 2022 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9594734)
Good to know, thanks for the replies. That region is quite a mystery to me so I don't pretend to know the particulars or regional tidbits that make up those places, so this makes sense.

I wasn't so surprsied by the Maritimes, they are decenty represented. It was the 7 Ontario locations that struck me, for some reason I always assumed there'd be more Jazz destinations there than in BC, that's why the list surprised me most. But from 7 to 10 is good, and do you think the pretty much covers all the main towns in Ontario? Or are they some that are unserved by Ac but are fairly major?

Ontario really isn't that remote (save for the very north) and driving from say Sarnia to Toronto is easier than from Castlegar to Vancouver.

thewave46 Apr 11, 2022 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9594779)
Ontario really isn't that remote (save for the very north) and driving from say Sarnia to Toronto is easier than from Castlegar to Vancouver.

Ontario's population is very concentrated. Either the cities are too close to Toronto to make it worthwhile versus driving, or they're too limited in terms of passenger potential due to their population size. So there's only the handful of regional destinations.

There are only a few destinations that Air Canada can make it work with the equipment it has. AC has moved away from smaller, efficient prop aircraft, retiring the Dash 8-100 (37 seats) and Dash 8-300s (50 seats) in recent years without replacement.

The smallest airplane they currently use has 50 seats (CRJ-200) and costs more to run than their retired small Dash-8 props. In fact, I would not be surprised if 50-seat regional jets are phased out in the next decade.

BC is an outlier in the sense, because geography means that smaller places have a much higher air modal share. Newfoundland is similar. The Prairie provinces and Maritime provinces get peanuts. Quebec is similar to Ontario, with the exception of a couple of small isolated destinations mixed in.

Denscity Apr 11, 2022 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9594779)

Ha ya well it's over twice the distance, then add in 4 or 5 mountain passes to cross, then know the route resembles a heart monitor readout lol.