SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Saskatoon | River Landing Village | 88m-63m-50m-55m | 18-20-17-13 floors | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193214)

Ruckus Aug 16, 2011 7:47 PM

Saskatoon | River Landing Village | 88m-63m-50m-55m | 18-20-17-13 floors | U/C
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsim249 (Post 5376499)
Developer proposes changes to design of River Landing complex

Victory Majors Investments Corporation, the development company founded by Saskatoon businessman Kay Nasser, plans on asking the City of Saskatoon and Meewasin Valley Authority to consider changes to existing zoning bylaws to allow for a redesigned hotel, condominium and office building on the River Landing property on the city’s riverbank.

The company announced Thursday it will seek amendments “to permit greater building height and density than is currently allowed.” The changes, the company said in a statement, “will facilitate the vision of River Landing which is to create a vibrant urban edge on the river serving as a significant civic gathering place and destination in the south downtown area of the City of Saskatoon.”

The preliminary design includes a 10-story hotel, a 27-story condominium and a 17-story office :D . It would be surrounded by an “urban plaza” that includes include grassed terraces , patios with pavers as venues for concerts or other art performances, and a water feature that can be used a skating pond in the winter, a reflecting pool with fountains in the summer, and when drained, as audience space for performances or concerts.

The company on Thursday also introduced Tonko Realty Advisors and Cavalier Enterprises as members of the development team for the River Landing project.

“The real estate experience, financial capital and commitment to Saskatoon that Tonko and

Cavalier bring to this project make them ideal partners,” said Nasser. “Such a high profile and complex project will only be strengthened by their

knowledge and involvement.”

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/5242859.bin

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/5242858.bin?size=620x400s

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Develo...#ixzz1UlD01j25


Feels more monumental than the previous proposals. The stepped design is pleasing to the eyes. The plaza layout sounds flexible and functional. And it's in keeping with the legacy of the Bessborough -- opening up to the river valley.

:tup:
_________________________

Updated: June.15.2016

River Landing

Quote:

ALT HOTEL BY LE GERMAIN - planned to have 17 storeys and 165 rooms
RESIDENTIAL TOWER - targeting 19 storeys which will house 80-100 condominium residences
THE EAST TOWER - planned to have 12 storeys, 155,000 SF of net rentable office area and 15, 250 SF of ground floor retail
THE NORTH TOWER - planned to have 22 storeys, 300,000 SF of net rentable office area and 17,250 SF of ground floor retail

East Tower River Landing
http://www.collierscanada.com/servic...bb4e82fd7aaa2e

Aerial view
http://www.collierscanada.com/servic...ea05c4e76cc80e

Image/Informational Source:

jigglysquishy Aug 16, 2011 8:32 PM

I'll have to see more renderings before I judge, but it looks very cool. 27 floors of residential will likely be 82-85m which is very exciting.

If this has accessible ground floor retail and is pedestrian friendly count me very excited.

A4Regina Aug 16, 2011 10:34 PM

I like the new hieght increase, but i dont know about the design of the condo tower. The previous curve design looked much more elegant than this design. I guess ill need some more renders to judge. Can't complain though, lets get some shovels in the ground!

roccerfeller Aug 17, 2011 2:15 AM

dang saskatoon!

....

sexy!

27 stories??

blacktrojan3921 Aug 17, 2011 6:13 AM

For some reason, the renderings for the old proposal look alot nicer to me. Maybe it's because the textures and resolution on this look really gritty and muggy.

The Bess Aug 17, 2011 3:51 PM

originally posted by Echoes

Quote:

A report in Wednesday's City Council agenda regarding the requested amendments to the DCD1 notes a requested increase in building height to 95 m.

Saskatoon's current tallest is 79.2 m.
nice

prairieguy Aug 19, 2011 3:27 PM

I too am reserving judgement on this new design until more detailed renderings are available. First impressions are that I think the plaza connection to the existing River Landing public space is an improvement. I did like the 'curved design' in the original design, but as mentioned, will hold judgement on this one until more details (finishes, etc.)

What this overall project and area needs, however, is increased opportunity to dine, lounge, have a few drinks while being able to take in the vista of the river valley. It is incredible to me that Saskatoon is devoid of these opportunites given the natural gem that we are so lucky to have with our river valley.

Looking forward to council approval and shovels in the ground by spring of 2012. :fingerscrossed:

Mike with an M Aug 21, 2011 2:14 AM

I'm actually kind of liking this new design, I really enjoyed the look of the previous one because it looked quite fluid and the seperate structures were arranged to look like one massive building.

However, I'm also enjoying the idea of a "front" so to speak, of tall modern buildings along the riverbank. It reflects, I think, the places our city is going as it grows and matures. From the current renderings though I'm still not entirely sure how the buildings are arranged in relation to eachother and the public area, and like everyone else I want to see more before they go through with it.

Echoes Aug 22, 2011 5:32 PM

A site plan posted on the Owls and Roosters blog helps show the arrangement of the buildings and layout of the plaza:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2H0ai6abOW...esign%2Bp2.jpg
Source: http://owlsandroosters.blogspot.com/

The Bess Sep 25, 2011 9:05 PM

originally posted by Mike with an M

Quote:

I'm actually kind of liking this new design, I really enjoyed the look of the previous one because it looked quite fluid and the seperate structures were arranged to look like one massive building.

However, I'm also enjoying the idea of a "front" so to speak, of tall modern buildings along the riverbank. It reflects, I think, the places our city is going as it grows and matures. From the current renderings though I'm still not entirely sure how the buildings are arranged in relation to eachother and the public area, and like everyone else I want to see more before they go through with it.
I agree with you Mike this would be a great addition to the riverbank, hopefully more of this will happen in the future. If there are restaurants associaated with this it would be a great place on a summers night to have a drink and something to eat. I bet the view from the top would be great.

Chadillaccc Sep 26, 2011 8:43 PM

Agreed. Very excited to see this go up in Sask. Any news on this one lately?

Mike with an M Sep 28, 2011 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadillaccc (Post 5423928)
Agreed. Very excited to see this go up in Sask. Any news on this one lately?

There was an open house on it recently as I found out on the construction thread (too late I'm afraid). Didn't get there myself, but Brutopian did:

Quote:

I attended the open house. John and Kay Nasser were there. A rep from Tonko was there. Urban planners from the City were there. It was an excellent opportunity to learn more about the newly-revamped proposal for Parcel Y. A good showing from the public, as well. Lots of interested folks. The renderings for the project on view at the open house were the same as the ones made available to the public when the project was announced a few weeks ago.

I asked about whether or not the proposed height of the condo tower (95 metres) poses an issue with the north-south flight path (approach) to the airport. I was told no, it does not pose an issue. I was told that the 95 metre height in that particular location is not an issue with the airport authority. (I learned that they could even build 10 metres higher -- to roughly 105 metres -- in that spot if they wanted.)

The proposed rezoning goes before Council in November, I believe. If it is passed, then the required permits must be obtained in order to begin construction. Once those ducks are in a row, construction could start in spring 2012.

The City was also interested in hearing public opinion on what kind of building height/density Saskatoon residents would like to see in the tracts of land around the Farmer's market. Ranges of 3-4 stories to 10-12 stories were presented as options.
Also, Echoes posted this link.

The Bess Nov 22, 2011 3:32 AM

step one complete

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/River+...288/story.html

Chadillaccc Nov 22, 2011 5:26 AM

Higher quality renders from the project website

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6231/6...9d04cca7_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6239/6...c6bdc628_z.jpg
http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...age/index.html

Dillweed Apr 7, 2012 8:09 PM

Doesn't seem to be much if anything going on here.

Chadillaccc Apr 9, 2012 3:23 AM

Apparently construction begins this summer :)

armorand93 Apr 9, 2012 9:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadillaccc (Post 5659275)
Apparently construction begins this summer :)

Saskatchewans on a high-rise roll lately!

prairieguy Apr 9, 2012 4:16 PM

Unfortunately, that is still nothing more then rumours....no confirmation yet. We are supposedly waiting for new architectural renderings before any work can start. It has been a long and painful wait so far....hope Nasser proves many of us skeptics wrong! If we don't see a rendering soon or some action on the site I think this project is in trouble.

A good sign is that Tonko, one of the partners, built RiverCentre right next store on spec and now has the building 90% leased before it is even ready to open. Hopefully Tonko will be pushing for RiverLanding to get going to capitalize on shortage of Class A office space!!

casper Apr 10, 2012 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 5659689)
A good sign is that Tonko, one of the partners, built RiverCentre right next store on spec and now has the building 90% leased before it is even ready to open. Hopefully Tonko will be pushing for RiverLanding to get going to capitalize on shortage of Class A office space!!

Another good sign is that Cavalier Enterprises is a partner. Cavalier owns/operates the Sheraton Cavalier Saskatoon and the Sheraton Cavalier Calgary Hotel. I think they are also behind the new boutique hotel in Saskatoon. It is an impressive team behind the project just now.

What would be nice is if we hand one of the other high-end brands from the Sheraton family, such as a Westin, St Regis, Le meridien, or W Hotels. Hopefully not a mid range brand like Four Points.

Echoes Apr 10, 2012 6:00 PM

^ Yes, consider that 2 of the partners in this project have just successfully completed (or are completing) significant projects in Saskatoon:
- Tonko's River Centre (90% leased)
- Cavalier's James Hotel is now open to rave reviews (Saskatoon's first high end boutique hotel)

The other thing that's encouraging and makes this project realistic is that it will be built in phases. I suspect work on the hotel and office tower will begin first while they market and pre-sell the condos.

sk187 Apr 11, 2012 4:01 AM

Wasn't it said by dr Nasser when river centre started that work would not begin on river landing while river centre was under construction?? Or am I imagining that..

rrskylar Apr 11, 2012 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk187 (Post 5661949)
Wasn't it said by dr Nasser when river centre started that work would not begin on river landing while river centre was under construction?? Or am I imagining that..

Actually the correct quote by Nasser was that River Landing would commence construction when pigs could fly.;)

casper Apr 11, 2012 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk187 (Post 5661949)
Wasn't it said by dr Nasser when river centre started that work would not begin on river landing while river centre was under construction?? Or am I imagining that..

I don't remember the quote, however that would make sense as they appear to be using the River Landing site as a staging/lay-down area for the River Centre construction. Not surprising since the River Centre developer is a partner in River Landing.

Dalreg Apr 11, 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 5661960)
Actually the correct quote by Nasser was that River Landing would commence construction when pigs could fly.;)

Which is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be complete? :rolleyes::cheers:

armorand93 Apr 11, 2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalreg (Post 5662134)
Which is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be complete? :rolleyes::cheers:

HEY!!! Your probably correct lol

prairieguy Apr 26, 2012 3:34 PM

The following was posted by "Echoes" on the Saskatoon construction thread:

"Kay Nasser was on the Brent Loucks show on CKOM this morning. He says that the project is still moving ahead as planned, but the architectural design and drawings have taken longer than anticipated. He expects that the drawings will be submitted to the City in the next 2-4 weeks for a development permit, and groundbreaking is still expected this summer.

The project will take 3-5 years for full build out."

I am going to take this as good news. I don't think Nasser would be speaking publicly and giving timelines if this was not still moving forward. Looking forward to 'new' design being unveiled in a month and ground breaking this summer. Just disappointed about the full 'build out' potentially taking up to 5 years. To me, this leaves the loop hole to not fully commit to this and provide further delays. Would have liked to have seen this all built at once....:(

Echoes Apr 26, 2012 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 5679907)
The following was posted by "Echoes" on the Saskatoon construction thread:

"Kay Nasser was on the Brent Loucks show on CKOM this morning. He says that the project is still moving ahead as planned, but the architectural design and drawings have taken longer than anticipated. He expects that the drawings will be submitted to the City in the next 2-4 weeks for a development permit, and groundbreaking is still expected this summer.

The project will take 3-5 years for full build out."

I am going to take this as good news. I don't think Nasser would be speaking publicly and giving timelines if this was not still moving forward. Looking forward to 'new' design being unveiled in a month and ground breaking this summer. Just disappointed about the full 'build out' potentially taking up to 5 years. To me, this leaves the loop hole to not fully commit to this and provide further delays. Would have liked to have seen this all built at once....:(

Prairieguy, I agree with you that the build out time is unfortunate. But, I believe the fact that they're proposing to construct the project in phases has made financing more attainable, which makes this mega project more realistic. One of the downfalls of Lake Placid's vision, I think, besides the credit crisis that hit hard at that time, was the fact they were trying to do this incredibly large project all in one shot.

With Nasser behind the reins we'll get there... in time. :)

Brutopian Apr 26, 2012 8:45 PM

Construction of city's tallest building to begin this summer

Architects are putting the final touches on the multi-use hotel, condo, retail space

Reported by News Talk Radio staff
First Posted: Apr 26, 2012 10:01am | Last Updated: Apr 26, 2012 2:53pm


Ground could soon break on a project poised to change Saskatoon's skyline. The massive hotel retail condo complex will go up on Parcel 'Y' at River Landing.

Doctor Karrim Nasser says architects are just putting the final touches on the blue prints for the massive project. Once that's done, he says it shouldn't be too much longer before the shovels hit the dirt.

[...........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/construction-c...n-summer/54213

Chadillaccc Apr 27, 2012 1:05 AM

Wow what fantastic news! Another Canadian city with a new tallest soon to be under construction! Jesus by the time this boom is over we'll have Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax, Edmonton, Windsor, Saskatoon, Kelowna and possibly Victoria, Kitchener and Ottawa all with new tallest buildings PLUS Toronto, Regina and Quebec City all with new 2nd tallest buildings! Very impressive. Plus several cities which have 3rd tallests currently UC :D

It's amazing how fantastic Canada is doing compared to the US.

prairieguy May 14, 2012 6:34 PM

Are we not due for RL revised plans to go before City Council??? I thought it might be on the agenda for this evening, as Nasser was quoted on April 26th as saying the plans should go before council in 2-4 weeks. I was hoping for the quicker end of this estimate!

Crisis May 15, 2012 3:01 PM

^^^^^Based on my experiences, plans are never done quicker than expected. A 2 - 4 week time frame for submission of plans can most often be revised to 2 - 4 months.

North_Regina_Boy May 15, 2012 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisis (Post 5701489)
^^^^^Based on my experiences, plans are never done quicker than expected. A 2 - 4 week time frame for submission of plans can most often be revised to 2 - 4 months.

With the City council wanting this to be built as much as a lot of us do, I think they will push this through, however architects want to be sure the drawings are good before they issue them for construction and bids.

Stormer May 15, 2012 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy (Post 5701526)
With the City council wanting this to be built as much as a lot of us do, I think they will push this through, however architects want to be sure the drawings are good before they issue them for construction and bids.

People don't be naive. Whenever developers say they need to wait for architects and planning approvals or whatever, they really mean they have to wait for leasing (or condo sales) and financing. This is always the real issue.

North_Regina_Boy May 15, 2012 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 5701585)
People don't be naive. Whenever developers say they need to wait for architects and planning approvals or whatever, they really mean they have to wait for leasing (or condo sales) and financing. This is always the real issue.

I am not Naive, I work for an architecture firm and am well versed with the complexity of construction documents and specifications. As well as client and code requirements. This is likely part of the reason for the delay but as you say likely not the only one.

Jerry May 16, 2012 8:51 AM

River Landing
 
What we have all been waiting for. :cheers: :skyscraper: :cheers:

_______________________________________________________


Plans submitted for megaproject
By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix
May 16, 2012 3:03 AM


The landmark $250-million River Landing hotel-condo-office project will be under construction by late summer if the development is approved by city council in July.

Victory Majors Investments Corp. and Cavalier Enterprises submitted detailed plans this week to city hall for a development permit.

The plans will now be vetted by city staff to ensure the project meets the vision set out for River Landing and the architectural controls in place for the area.

The developer's plans, alongside a city report, will go before city council and the Meewasin Valley Authority (MVA) in July for approval.

"I don't anticipate any issues," said Tim Steuart, a senior planner with the city. "We've been involved and consulting with (Victory Majors) all along."

The megaproject on Saskatoon's riverfront Parcel Y is considered one of the most valuable pieces of real estate around. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1v1MTkOvK

Echoes May 16, 2012 2:32 PM

And everybody was getting so worried. :D

Nasser delivered the plans 3 weeks after saying it would be 2-4 weeks. A man of his word.

prairieguy May 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Anyone have access to the plans that were submitted to City??? Would love to get a sneak peek at them! ;) It was very hard to tell from the artist rendition included with this most recent article in Star Phoenix, but it looks like the building designs have been diminished and are more boxy in nature, rather then something architecturally of interest. Hope my impression of drawing is completely off base!!

Echoes May 16, 2012 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 5702751)

From Saskatoon Construction.

Echoes May 16, 2012 3:45 PM

From the SP:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...?size=620x400s

Source

Brutopian May 16, 2012 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 5702771)

In looking at the new rendering, it appears as if the hotel rises 8-10 stories, then is set back slightly, and rises a couple more stories from there. Perhaps this set back allows room for an outdoor patio/restaurant seating area with a view of the river valley. Saskatoon, currently, does not have a restaurant with a view from high up of the river valley. Such a restaurant would do very well, in my opinion.

Jerry May 16, 2012 5:38 PM

Just found another one at the SP thanks to David Hutton.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9538/rlsscene672.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3738/rlsscene662.jpg

Source

blacktrojan3921 May 16, 2012 11:02 PM

Congratulations Saskatoon for finally getting this thing going :)

casper May 18, 2012 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 5702949)
Just found another one at the SP thanks to David Hutton.....

Source

The part I don't like is it looks like there is a driveway or roadway of some sort between the residential tower and the plaza. Would it not be better to have a bigger plaza.....

blacktrojan3921 May 18, 2012 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 5704961)
The part I don't like is it looks like there is a driveway or roadway of some sort between the residential tower and the plaza. Would it not be better to have a bigger plaza.....

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...?size=620x400s

Me thinks that all of that will be part of the plaza.

prairieguy Jun 5, 2012 9:19 PM

Echoes posted this on the Saskatoon thread:

"The Meewasin Valley Authority will consider the Parcel Y proposal at its Development Review meeting this Friday.

A site plan and rendering package is posted on their website for the office tower portion ONLY (Phase I of the project).

http://meewasin.com/development/deve...rent_projects/
"

I am personally a bit disappointed with the rendering of the office tower, but may just be the drawings. I certainly hope that the condo portion of this project (if it should go ahead) will be more inspiring!

Edit: sorry, here is a working link to document

http://meewasin.com/development/deve...rent_projects/

Dalreg Jun 5, 2012 11:01 PM

Love it! Start the equipment up now and get this thing under way!

Ruckus Jun 6, 2012 3:13 AM

office tower south and east elevations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 5723957)
Echoes posted this on the Saskatoon thread:

"The Meewasin Valley Authority will consider the Parcel Y proposal at its Development Review meeting this Friday.

A site plan and rendering package is posted on their website for the office tower portion ONLY (Phase I of the project).

http://meewasin.com/development/deve...rent_projects/
"

I am personally a bit disappointed with the rendering of the office tower, but may just be the drawings. I certainly hope that the condo portion of this project (if it should go ahead) will be more inspiring!

Edit: sorry, here is a working link to document

http://meewasin.com/development/deve...rent_projects/



South elevation

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56830891/rlv...0elevation.jpg

East elevation


http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56830891/rlv...0elevation.jpg

__________________

Beautiful addition to 19th street!

A bit jarring, refreshing though. The strong horizontality of the base will tie the adjacent blocks together nicely. I like that it has four distinctive faces. Sort of multidimensional -- if an office tower can be.

Not a fan of the expansive wall of stone on the east side (see above)...too cold and grey during the winter.

The winter garden looks inviting :)

The S'toon Goon Jun 6, 2012 3:13 PM

Maybe it's a little underwhelming, but by no means is it ugly. In fact, I really don't mind it. Once it is tied in with the Hotel and the Condo this project will offer something our city has been waiting on for quite some time!! Start digging!

Echoes Jun 6, 2012 7:14 PM

I'm on side with Ruckus and S'toon Goon. By no means is the design groundbreaking, but it is still quite nice. It has a clean, refreshing look, and I can imagine it looking very good when viewed across the river from Rotary Park. How this tower turns out will be in its execution and quality of materials used. Looking at some of Gibbs Gage's recent work in Calgary, Eighth Avenue Place and Centrium Place, I think that the final product in those cases are top notch:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...MG_3443720.jpg
Source

http://www.gibbsgage.com/public/file...6.46122134.jpg
Source

It's interesting about the glazing that is currently depicted as gold. The note on the diagram explains that the final colour of the feature glazing will be determined pending building tenanting. Imagine, say, Cameco as an anchor tenant with its signage at the top and the cool blues of its logo reflected throughout the south elevation. I have to say that I like the podium as well, except for the stone wall on the east side. However, it shouldn't stick out too badly as the condo tower on that side should abut the office tower podium very closely.

Dillweed Jun 7, 2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 5702949)

Thars them sailboats on the South Saskatchewan river again!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.