SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=105764)

woodrow Nov 26, 2014 5:27 PM

^^Good luck to the developers. I can already hear the stroller brigade on Southport bitch about density.

the urban politician Nov 26, 2014 5:50 PM

^

Needs to be about 3 times denser

george Nov 26, 2014 6:47 PM

11/23

British School new South Loop campus

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/sZapaJ.jpg

wierdaaron Nov 26, 2014 8:02 PM

^George, your panorama stitching algorithm butchered the school pretty badly. There's not two generators out front, that's the same one twice.

Ch.G, Ch.G Nov 26, 2014 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6822177)
^George, your panorama stitching algorithm butchered the school pretty badly. There's not two generators out front, that's the same one twice.

Personally, I think it's an improvement. :shrug:

george Nov 26, 2014 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6822177)
^George, your panorama stitching algorithm butchered the school pretty badly. There's not two generators out front, that's the same one twice.

I took liberties with the design. The two pics fit better this way and I liked the result : ) Good you noticed.

Rizzo Nov 27, 2014 6:50 AM

This building has two different architectural identities. What's going on?

pilsenarch Nov 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6822867)
This building has two different architectural identities. What's going on?

What's going on? incompetence

Ch.G, Ch.G Nov 27, 2014 9:14 PM

It's like they're telling us, "We're capable of making things look nice; we just choose not to."

Rizzo Nov 27, 2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow (Post 6821905)
^^Good luck to the developers. I can already hear the stroller brigade on Southport bitch about density.

LOL. That's what me and my buddies call the corridor (I live about 3 blocks from this). I'd be happy to advocate for higher density. Just hope I won't get mowed over by one of those duplex SUV strollers

brian_b Nov 29, 2014 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6823623)
LOL. That's what me and my buddies call the corridor (I live about 3 blocks from this). I'd be happy to advocate for higher density. Just hope I won't get mowed over by one of those duplex SUV strollers

I've got one of those strollers. It has the exact footprint of a wheelchair. But then again, I suppose the city is no place for children or the disabled. According to many people on this site, that is.

Rizzo Nov 29, 2014 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 6824950)
I've got one of those strollers. It has the exact footprint of a wheelchair. But then again, I suppose the city is no place for children or the disabled. According to many people on this site, that is.

Glad we're on the same page then. Neighbehors shall then adjust their attention to correcting flooded street corners, heaved sidewalks, and narrow walks for improved accessibility and mobility instead of worrying about soaring 4-story skyscrapers

Ch.G, Ch.G Nov 29, 2014 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6824956)
Glad we're on the same page then. Neighbehors shall then adjust their attention to correcting flooded street corners, heaved sidewalks, and narrow walks for improved accessibility and mobility instead of worrying about soaring 4-story skyscrapers

Osnap.

Ryanrule Nov 30, 2014 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 6824950)
I've got one of those strollers. It has the exact footprint of a wheelchair. But then again, I suppose the city is no place for children or the disabled. According to many people on this site, that is.

carry your child, or dont have one.

clark wellington Nov 30, 2014 6:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6825666)
carry your child, or dont have one.

Don't be an asshole - this is exactly the kind of sentiment that's unproductive in Chicago (as he mentions).

Of course we want more families in the city. We just want families who recognize the things that make a city vibrant (including density, mixed-use development, bars and restaurants, renters, etc.).

The animosity that develops between families and pro-development folks is typically because families often turn NIMBY. As long as that's not the case, we should welcome as many families as possible to the city, as that will make it a long-term success story.

Rizzo Nov 30, 2014 5:39 PM

All right guys, the original comment about "strollers brigades" was meant in jest. We've been down this road before with dog owners too. Let's not be disrespectful. What absolute nonsense to suggest an agenda on this website that children aren't important when we know for fact that this is what is important for neighborhoods. But if anyone opposes density for the sake of opposing density, well...this website IS called skyscraperpage

Ryanrule Dec 1, 2014 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clark wellington (Post 6825826)
Don't be an asshole - this is exactly the kind of sentiment that's unproductive in Chicago (as he mentions).

Of course we want more families in the city. We just want families who recognize the things that make a city vibrant (including density, mixed-use development, bars and restaurants, renters, etc.).

The animosity that develops between families and pro-development folks is typically because families often turn NIMBY. As long as that's not the case, we should welcome as many families as possible to the city, as that will make it a long-term success story.

the suv stroller is a major indicator for nimby, or at least prenimby.

when buy something like that, it shows you put your convenience above all else.

woodrow Dec 1, 2014 4:43 PM

Wow - sorry to start this firestorm. For the record, I am FOR strollers and families in the city. One of the great things that I have seen in my 25 years in Chicago is the rise of families. It is great that people don't automatically assume that they must move to the suburbs when kids come along.

I was pointing out a specific type of person, which the Southport corridor has in droves. They possess a high level of entitlement that they bring with the strollers, and a sense that their voices should be heard over all others by right of their offspring. "...won't someone think of the children..." etc.

emathias Dec 1, 2014 4:52 PM

The 3-story vintage building owned by the Flair company (whence the Flair Tower on Erie got its name) is for sale:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21...05875722_zpid/

aaron38 Dec 1, 2014 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6826761)
the suv stroller is a major indicator for nimby, or at least prenimby.
when buy something like that, it shows you put your convenience above all else.

If you've ever heard the uncontrollable screams of a baby that desperately needs a nap, then you know that strollers bigger than an umbrella stroller (that let the kid lie down) are for everyone's convenience.
Don't be a totalitarian know it all.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.