SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

JHikka Dec 16, 2021 7:10 PM

I'd imagine Edmonton would have a larger grievance. They're likely Memorial Cup-bound and don't feature for TSN post-New Years. They don't have the arena-for-TV issue that Winnipeg has. They have four players at the World Juniors. Seems like an easy viewing for TSN. :shrug:

esquire Dec 16, 2021 7:22 PM

I don't know that I agree Edmonton is Memorial Cup bound ;) ;) ;)

But I do agree that they have a grievance for sure. Normally Calgary/Edmonton tend to be the most prominent WHL teams in terms of TV coverage but oddly neither one is getting the TSN treatment.

manny_santos Dec 16, 2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9478408)
^ Very curious to me that the Bills are not included among the teams sharing the Canadian territory. At one time they had a pretty significant Canadian fanbase. In the 90s when they were playing in a series of Super Bowls they seemed like the de facto Southern Ontario home team.

At the same time the Minnesota Vikings are included, but I would think their fanbase is pretty tiny in comparison and made up mostly of a small number of people in Southern Manitoba, NWO and maybe a handful in Southern Sask. I remember at one time Scott Taylor of the Winnipeg Free Press was doing his damndest to get people to care about the Vikings but it never worked, most NFL fans just cheered for whatever team they liked. I'd imagine the Packers probably have far more fans around here than the Vikings do.

I have only ever known one Vikings fan in my whole life. She was from Southwestern Ontario, and I believe her father was also a Vikings fan.

I know fewer Detroit Lions fans than Vikings fans. Everyone I knew in Ontario were Buffalo fans, or less commonly, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, or one of the NCAA teams. Quite a few Michigan fans in SW Ontario, not surprisingly.

Djeffery Dec 16, 2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 9479009)
I have only ever known one Vikings fan in my whole life. She was from Southwestern Ontario, and I believe her father was also a Vikings fan.

I know fewer Detroit Lions fans than Vikings fans. Everyone I knew in Ontario were Buffalo fans, or less commonly, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, or one of the NCAA teams. Quite a few Michigan fans in SW Ontario, not surprisingly.

Was his name Don? lol Only Vikings fan I ever met in London. I knew more Lions fans than Bills fans, but by far, the crowd I knew in a couple neighbourhood bars were Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans.

esquire Dec 17, 2021 12:17 AM

The Vikings are a bigger deal in MB/SK/NWO since they are they are the closest NFL team. I wouldn't expect to come across too many Vikings fans in southern Ontario!

thurmas Dec 17, 2021 12:44 AM

Vikings and Packers are most popular in manitoba. Many friends at my work go down to the twin cities once or twice a year to see Vikings games.

Denscity Dec 17, 2021 1:19 AM

And of course in BC it's Seahawks country.

EpicPonyTime Dec 17, 2021 6:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9479090)
The Vikings are a bigger deal in MB/SK/NWO since they are they are the closest NFL team. I wouldn't expect to come across too many Vikings fans in southern Ontario!

I am from Sask and I don't think I know any Vikings players. Maybe it is more common down near Regina, but the Packers or Seahawks always seemed like the most popular team.

Denscity Dec 17, 2021 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9478579)

Hey they gave us something! I guess being the second largest English speaking market in the country DOES mean something after all lol.

JHikka Dec 17, 2021 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9479358)
Hey they gave us something! I guess being the second largest English speaking market in the country DOES mean something after all lol.

Media markets aren't drawn like that.

Denscity Dec 19, 2021 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9479463)
Media markets aren't drawn like that.

Vancouver is also larger than English Montreal so still second largest.

Acajack Dec 19, 2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9479090)

Outside of the very immediate border areas (Niagara and Windsor) where the NFL clubs right across the border are most popular, it's always seemed to me that NFL fandom in southern Ontario is mostly a hodgepodge of teams.

The teams that are successful right now or in recent years factor into it a lot in my observation. There were relatively few Patriots fans prior to the 2000s but now there are tons of them.

Same goes for Quebec.

Quebec all of a sudden got tons of Chiefs fans (Laurent Duvernay-Tardif plus a good team) whereas before KC barely registered a blip here.

The Steelers were for a long time a fairly popular team here as the Terry Bradshaw years coincided with the time period that Quebecers started paying attention to the NFL. This has since faded quite a bit among younger generations.

I wonder if the Jets will slowly become popular here? Don't think I've ever seen Jets gear here in Quebec.

Another thing that seems common among NFL fans in both Ontario and Quebec is "I took a piss in Denver once so I'm die-hard Broncos fan, let's paint the baby's room in orange!"

esquire Dec 19, 2021 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9481189)
Another thing that seems common among NFL fans in both Ontario and Quebec is "I took a piss in Denver once so I'm die-hard Broncos fan, let's paint the baby's room in orange!"

:haha:

I have definitely noticed this too.

JHikka Jan 17, 2022 9:23 PM

First numbers for CHL on TSN:

Jan 14
Raptors/Pistons: 298k (TSN)
WWE Smackdown: 178k (SN360)
Stars/Panthers: 82k (SN)
Sudbury/Kingston: 49k (TSN)
Mavs/Grizzlies: 25k (SN1)
Prince George/Vancouver: 20k (TSN)

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...44215613915137

Berklon Jan 25, 2022 2:59 PM

Huge numbers for this past weekends round of NFL playoff games:

NFL TV Ratings

Bills/Chiefs: 2.370M
Rams/Bucs: 1.849M
Packers/49ers: 1.524M
Bengals/Titans: 1.335M

Acajack Jan 25, 2022 3:16 PM

There was a lot of raving in the Quebec media yesterday about this weekend's NFL games and how awesome they were (which is true), but the ratings on RDS that have come out are pretty low:

Bengals vs Titans: 188 000
49ers vs Packers: 138 000
Rams vs Buccaneers: 267 000
Bills vs Chiefs: 256 000

Obviously some people in Quebec (even some francophones) watch them on anglophone channels but still these numbers are quite low.

Especially given all the recent chatter about the weekend's games in traditional and social media here.

I believe the Super Bowl routinely tops 1 million viewers on RDS.

NFL is clearly growing fast in popularity in Quebec but sometimes I am reminded that it still can be a bit of a niche thing for most people.

samne Jan 25, 2022 3:44 PM

Wow…big numbers for the NFL. The NFL just produces a superior TV product beyond the other sports leagues.

Not surprised the Bills/Chiefs topped. A lot of S Ontario rekindled their connection to the Bills since their heyday in the 90s.

WhipperSnapper Jan 25, 2022 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9481189)

The teams that are successful right now or in recent years factor into it a lot in my observation. There were relatively few Patriots fans prior to the 2000s but now there are tons of them.

My impression as well. Lot of bandwagon gamblers or people that get wrapped up in the media frenzy (like having to take selfies everywhere as proof they were there) rather than Football fans

esquire Jan 25, 2022 4:06 PM

The bandwagoning thing doesn't bother me as far as the NFL is concerned. If I liked, say, the Giants and they had two bad seasons in a row, you best believe I'd be dropping them like a hot coal.

If you live in your favourite team's city then yeah, some measure of loyalty is expected. But as Canadians we're all basically free agents. Pick whoever's interesting, don't be like that idiot I once lived near who was all in for the Browns year after year.

Berklon Jan 25, 2022 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9513588)
If you live in your favourite team's city then yeah, some measure of loyalty is expected. But as Canadians we're all basically free agents. Pick whoever's interesting, don't be like that idiot I once lived near who was all in for the Browns year after year.

So people are idiots if they stick to supporting a team through thick and thin? That's certainly one take.