SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

JHikka May 19, 2018 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8193445)
I suppose the US team is ranked #1 but who's #2?

FIFA Women's rankings:
1) USA
2) England
3) Germany
4) Canada
5) France

elly63 May 20, 2018 2:42 PM

And so the story begins. Will it have the Doug Flutie or Vince Ferragamo ending? Will people buy the shirt or reject it. Will ratings increase beyond one game? Will the US media keep following this story? Stay tuned!

https://i.imgur.com/8xYZhoP.jpg
Photo courtesy cfl.ca

isaidso May 20, 2018 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8193464)
FIFA Women's rankings:
1) USA
2) England
3) Germany
4) Canada
5) France

Very good showing for the 'non-soccer playing' nations.

EpicPonyTime May 20, 2018 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194032)
And so the story begins. Will it have the Doug Flutie or Vince Ferragamo ending? Will people buy the shirt or reject it. Will ratings increase beyond one game? Will the US media keep following this story? Stay tuned!

https://i.imgur.com/8xYZhoP.jpg
Photo courtesy cfl.ca

Here's hoping he can perform. I imagine there will be an adjustment period, but I believe he's sincere in his desire to commit to the game and play at a high level. I expect a good competition between him and Masoli.

elly63 May 20, 2018 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8194092)
Here's hoping he can perform. I imagine there will be an adjustment period, but I believe he's sincere in his desire to commit to the game and play at a high level. I expect a good competition between him and Masoli.

I understand he has spoken to Doug Flutie and if he takes his advice Johnny Football's future will have a happy ending. Coach Jones previously was effusive with his praise so he's likely going to get a shot when he's deemed to be ready.

Earlier I used Vince Ferragamo as an example of how things might turn out, perhaps I should have used another Vince, Vince Young.

Sticking to the raison d'etre of this thread, I am wondering what this will mean to the Hamilton football fan, are they going to buy into this? Are they going to buy jerseys and newspapers etc, will any folks down the road in Toronto pick up on this. I understand the press conference was packed.

elly63 May 20, 2018 4:46 PM

Johnny Manziel: ‘I’ve decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’
Drew Edwards 3downnation May 19, 2018

According to his Twitter, Johnny Manziel has signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

https://i.imgur.com/s79ddsP.png

“I’m here today to make a big announcement for my life. I’m formally signing in the CFL. I’ve decided to sign with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I’ll be up here for what looks like 2 years I’m getting back to playing ball that’s what it comes down to. it’s what I’ve missed doing,” Manziel said in a video posted to Twitter.

“I’m somewhere, I don’t even know where, on the Canadian border trying to figure this whole thing out and figure out I guess how to play football in Canada. Big day for me. I’m no longer unemployed and I’m happy about it.”

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/s...50809131008′

Also included in Manziel’s Twitter announcement was a new partnership with Barstool Sports that will include a “Comeback Season” podcast.

This guy has 2.2 million Twitter followers, not sure how that will benefit the Ti-Cats or league but I don't think it can hurt.

JHikka May 20, 2018 6:03 PM

My main question for the CFL folks would be: What's the best outcome for the Manziel experiment in Hamilton?

How does the CFL look if he's able to step onto a team on Day 1 and completely dominate? If he doesn't do well and crashes out, does that say anything about the quality of the league? I'm assuming there needs to be some balance between the CFL being a good league and Manziel doing well in his own right. It wouldn't look good to fresh American eyes if he was able to step in and throw 4 TDs a game and make the league look weak by comparison, at least IMO. I'm guessing the CFL needs to balance providing a good environment for Manziel to do well in while also proving that it's a strong league comparatively to the NFL. Curious what the best case scenario is here from an exposure standpoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8194066)
Very good showing for the 'non-soccer playing' nations.

Yeah, the other outlier in the Women's Top 10 is North Korea - the rest of the countries that Canada is ahead of are pretty standard countries to see near the top (Australia, Brazil, Sweden, Japan, etc.)

GlassCity May 20, 2018 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8194162)
My main question for the CFL folks would be: What's the best outcome for the Manziel experiment in Hamilton?

How does the CFL look if he's able to step onto a team on Day 1 and completely dominate? If he doesn't do well and crashes out, does that say anything about the quality of the league? I'm assuming there needs to be some balance between the CFL being a good league and Manziel doing well in his own right. It wouldn't look good to fresh American eyes if he was able to step in and throw 4 TDs a game and make the league look weak by comparison, at least IMO. Curious what the best case scenario is here from an exposure standpoint.

Yeah, the other outlier in the Women's Top 10 is North Korea - the rest of the countries that Canada is ahead of are pretty standard countries to see near the top (Australia, Brazil, Sweden, Japan, etc.)

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Yes I'd like him to be successful so as to attract attention, but I wouldn't want him to dominate, nor do I think he will. I find the talent gap between quarterbacks in the CFL seems to be smaller than it is in the NFL, bu I'd like him to be in the top tier somewhere. If he can play like a Bo Levi Mitchell, I think that'll be just fine.

elly63 May 20, 2018 6:09 PM

I guess my question may be answered, they're selling.

To succeed, Johnny Manziel must fully embrace his CFL reality
Drew Edwards 3Downnation May 20, 2018

The Ticats are certainly on board. There were No. 2 Manziel jerseys hanging in the team store at Tim Horton's Field before the press conference was over and almost two dozen were sold in just the first few hours.

https://i.imgur.com/M1wSPDj.png

elly63 May 20, 2018 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 8194168)
That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Yes I'd like him to be successful so as to attract attention, but I wouldn't want him to dominate, nor do I think he will. I find the talent gap between quarterbacks in the CFL seems to be smaller than it is in the NFL, bu I'd like him to be in the top tier somewhere. If he can play like a Bo Levi Mitchell, I think that'll be just fine.

I can't think of anyone who has "dominated" to the point of embarrassing the league or it's teams. Doug Flutie would be the best example of anyone coming anywhere near that and he has been about the best ambassador the league has ever had (save Pinner)

He has stated on numerous occasions how much he loved the league and would have kept going, but he had to prove to himself he could get the NFL monkey off his back and succeed there. And of course the money doesn't hurt but at that time he probably had a personal services contract and was making big money anyway.

All Manziel has to do is do exactly what Flutie did, learn to love football again, make a career in the CFL, and then let the chips fall where they may.

elly63 May 20, 2018 6:29 PM

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’
Doug Flutie Sports Illustrated Monday Morning Quarterback June 24, 2014

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

Acajack May 20, 2018 7:35 PM

Has any big name American import torn up the CFL like he was playing against a bunch of amateurs? I can't recall that happening
Ever.

elly63 May 20, 2018 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8194231)
Has any big name American import torn up the CFL like he was playing against a bunch of amateurs? I can't recall that happening
Ever.

Ironically, at one point I thought that might have been the Wunderkind Jesse Lumsden, but injuries derailed that, plus he wasn't American.

But to answer the question, I'm quite sure it has never happened.

Berklon May 20, 2018 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8194231)
Ever.

Has there been any/many "big name American imports" who joined the CFL without having busted or been washed-up in the NFL first?

And of the best players in the CFL today, how many couldn't make the NFL?

elly63 May 20, 2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8194293)
Has there been any/many "big name American imports" who joined the CFL without having busted or been washed-up in the NFL first?

Vince Ferragamo. Pretty loaded question (by design I assume). Why would anyone leave somewhere where they were successful, if not for more money which since the advent of large US TV contracts in the 70s, the CFL can't match. We don't have 300 million people to provide unreal ad revenue.

The only other way was a personal services contract which some stars had before the advent of the salary cap.

elly63 May 20, 2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8194293)
And of the best players in the CFL today, how many couldn't make the NFL?

How about we rephrase that in a fair way instead of your biased anti CFL way (again by design)?

If you weren't so virulently anti CFL you might have asked how many players have gone from the CFL to the NFL? And just to rub it in how many USports players are now getting invited to NFL camps. I don't think the NFL would bother with shitty Canadian players if there wasn't some degree of talent, don't you think?

elly63 May 20, 2018 11:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/fMVxzgL.png

Acajack May 21, 2018 1:16 AM

Raghib Ismail finished second for the Heisman and chose the Argos over the NFL. He was hardly washed up. Ismail was great but he did not look like Ronaldo playing with a bunch of kids. Or even the Vegas Golden Knights in the 2018 NHL.

Acajack May 21, 2018 1:19 AM

Other NFLers have come the CFL in their prime for reasons unrelated to performance like legal issues etc.

Some have been good some not so good. None have totally dominated.

isaidso May 21, 2018 1:28 AM

I had to Google who Manziel was. I'm a big football fan but had never heard of him.

FrankieFlowerpot May 21, 2018 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 8194452)
I had to Google who Manziel was. I'm a big football fan but had never heard of him.

Yeah ..... ok :haha:

khabibulin May 21, 2018 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194112)
I understand he has spoken to Doug Flutie and if he takes his advice Johnny Football's future will have a happy ending. Coach Jones previously was effusive with his praise so he's likely going to get a shot when he's deemed to be ready.

You can take the boy out of the party, but I have my doubts if you can ever take the party out of the boy.

Acajack May 21, 2018 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8194162)

How does the CFL look if he's able to step onto a team on Day 1 and completely dominate? If he doesn't do well and crashes out, does that say anything about the quality of the league? I'm assuming there needs to be some balance between the CFL being a good league and Manziel doing well in his own right. It wouldn't look good to fresh American eyes if he was able to step in and throw 4 TDs a game and make the league look weak by comparison, at least IMO. I'm guessing the CFL needs to balance providing a good environment for Manziel to do well in while also proving that it's a strong league comparatively to the NFL. Curious what the best case scenario is here from an exposure standpoint.

It seems like there are a lot of people here who are unfamiliar with the world of sports beyond North America and how the differences in level of play between so-called "unbalanced" leagues can sometimes be surprisingly small.

For example, most European countries I am familiar with have a national soccer "cup" tournament every year. (In the UK this is the FA Cup.) This sometimes includes local amateur teams all the way up to the top first division clubs. I am oversimplifying here but basically all the teams get thrown together in a huge tournament (there is some seeding of higher division teams, generally) but the first division teams always end up playing lower division clubs. Often much, much lower.

And guess what happens? Yes, there are blowouts sometimes, but most of the time the lower division clubs can more or less hold their own. It's true that they rarely win against the top clubs but the scores are often 3-1, 4-2, 2-0. And sometimes there are upsets.

When I first became aware of this system it really put into a different perspective the whole debate about the CFL sucking so badly (allegedly) relative to the NFL.

JHikka May 21, 2018 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8194499)
For example, most European countries I am familiar with have a national soccer "cup" tournament every year. (In the UK this is the FA Cup.) This sometimes includes local amateur teams all the way up to the top first division clubs. I am oversimplifying here but basically all the teams get thrown together in a huge tournament (there is some seeding of higher division teams, generally) but the first division teams always end up playing lower division clubs. Often much, much lower.

And guess what happens? Yes, there are blowouts sometimes, but most of the time the lower division clubs can more or less hold their own. It's true that they rarely win against the top clubs but the scores are often 3-1, 4-2, 2-0. And sometimes there are upsets.

Most North Americans are completely unfamiliar with this concept, I agree, although this format does exist in American soccer (US Open Cup) and to a lesser extent in Canada (Canadian Championship).

It's also true that many top teams do not field full-strength squads in these Cup matches and oftentimes show disinterest in these sorts of competitions. It is a frequent talking point. Furthermore, it can be said that top clubs have little to gain from such ventures.

My question wasn't regarding direct competition between CFL teams and NFL teams; my question was aimed at how Americans view and perceive the CFL and how best the CFL can gain reputation from Manziel playing in the league. Unfortunately the topic shifted towards what American players have potentially dominated the CFL in the past instead of how best the CFL could potentially market and materialize exposure with prominent Americans coming North. Again, what's the best case scenario going forward?

I use the term prominent loosely with Manziel, as he is known more for his off-field antics than on-field play.

Acajack May 21, 2018 3:22 AM

This is quite interesting.

https://www.cfl.ca/2013/10/22/heisma...inners-debuts/

There are also a number of near-Heisman winners who played in the CFL.

For example, Turner Gill who played for the Montreal Concordes.

Acajack May 21, 2018 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8194514)
Most North Americans are completely unfamiliar with this concept, I agree, although this format does exist in American soccer (US Open Cup) and to a lesser extent in Canada (Canadian Championship).

It's also true that many top teams do not field full-strength squads in these Cup matches and oftentimes show disinterest in these sorts of competitions. It is a frequent talking point. Furthermore, it can be said that top clubs have little to gain from such ventures.

My question wasn't regarding direct competition between CFL teams and NFL teams; my question was aimed at how Americans view and perceive the CFL and how best the CFL can gain reputation from Manziel playing in the league. Unfortunately the topic shifted towards what American players have potentially dominated the CFL in the past instead of how best the CFL could potentially market and materialize exposure with prominent Americans coming North. Again, what's the best case scenario going forward?

I use the term prominent loosely with Manziel, as he is known more for his off-field antics than on-field play.

Well he did win the Heisman. But it's true he's done just about zilch in the NFL.

Acajack May 21, 2018 3:38 AM

Another thing I wonder is how many people here have ever been on a playing surface (in any sport) competing with professional or borderline professional athletes.

I have. Well, "competing" is probably too strong a term. When I was in my 20s a bunch of buddies of mine used to rent ice time at midnight and we used to play shinny just for fun. One of the regulars was a guy we knew who attended two NHL training camps but was always one of the first cuts. A couple of times he invited some buddies of his who actually played a bit in the NHL. One of them didn't even play 10 games, but another took part in a couple hundred games in the NHL during his career. We also had a girl who played for Canada's women's team play with us too.

Anyway in the case of all them even though there weren't any superstars among them (very borderline professional calibre generally) they were just so far ahead of us stiffs it wasn't even funny. (I never was a very good hockey player BTW. Not even close. But some of my friends were quite good, but even with their skateguards on I betcha these people could have skated circles around my buddies.)

They may not have been regular NHLers (much less top-flight players) but they were still a million times closer to Wayne Gretzky's calibre of play, than we were to theirs.

elly63 May 21, 2018 4:30 AM

All-American CFL QB busts
BILL LANKHOF, QMI Agency June 28, 2010

In a perfect world, Andre Ware could’ve been a Doug Flutie clone; T.J. Rubley would’ve been Anthony Calvillo before anyone this side of Utah State knew there was an Anthony Calvillo, and Jason Gesser should’ve been a household name today beyond his own living-room walls.

Woulda.

Coulda.

Shoulda.

They are the all-American kids and along with such luminous college football icons as Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, Don McPherson, Tommie Frazier, Tony Rice and Major Harris, there was every indication that they were perfectly suited to conquer the Canadian Football League.

The scouting reports said they had it all — strong of arm and will, quick or fast or both. They should’ve been able to capture a country’s football ideals.

Instead, they flashed through our universe like a phoenix that could not raise itself beyond mediocrity in a game they often never grew to understand.

. . .

Xelebes May 21, 2018 5:15 AM

Don't post full articles. Just quote the salient points or only post the first couple paragraphs.

logan5 May 21, 2018 5:17 AM

Great article. Worth posting the whole thing.

Acajack May 21, 2018 11:06 AM

Jeff Garcia the Grey Cup champ with Calgary was the exact same guy who was the 49ers starter a year later and led them to winning seasons and the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl for several seasons.

He did not go from being sucky in Calgary to being great in SF overnight.

elly63 May 21, 2018 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 8194595)
Don't post full articles. Just quote the salient points or only post the first couple paragraphs.

When you can get people to use the quote function properly and only quote the line they are referring to instead of a page long post or edit out the picture so we don't see the same picture five times on the page I might consider your proposal. Until then, uhh no.

News links often disappear and along with that the story, and people here can get a little revisionist in their thinking without a little reminder on site.

elly63 May 21, 2018 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8194677)
Jeff Garcia the Grey Cup champ with Calgary was the exact same guy who was the 49ers starter a year later and led them to winning seasons and the playoffs and made the Pro Bowl for several seasons.

He did not go from being sucky in Calgary to being great in SF overnight.

That's a good point, there's a million reasons why a player makes a team and it's not always talent. In Garcia's case it was talent.

I read a quote somewhere from an NFL coach who said the last 13 cuts were interchangeable with the 13 guys who made the team. As I said above, maybe the guy who made it was because of an injury at that position, or a holdout, or just being temporarily weak at that position.

I can remember we had a soccer player on our NT who ended playing for the most high profile club team (at that time). He was generally acknowledged to be one of the poorer players on the NT so a team's needs and timing may be a big factor in a player being signed over exceptional talent.

Being at the right place at the right time and being ready to grab the opportunity are vital factors. There was no way Brett Jones of the NY Giants fit the NFL mold but he got an opportunity and refused to let go. He is now probably their best O-lineman and the only guy who doesn't have to take playbook tests because of his had work and intelligence.

elly63 May 21, 2018 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8194514)

Because of the availability of games, on various ESPN channels, and other platforms for streaming the CFL in the US, there has been a growing audience for people who want to see players that they followed in college.

As Bob McCown once said it's hard to get invested in something without a "rooting interest". So if I'm living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a guy I knew a year ahead of me, I hear is now playing pro football for the Calgary Stampeders, I might be inclined to tune in and see what he is up to.

Family is now able to follow where their son, brother, grandson plays. And the large number of Americans are true football fans, they love all levels from high school to NFL.

GlassCity May 21, 2018 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8194532)
Another thing I wonder is how many people here have ever been on a playing surface (in any sport) competing with professional or borderline professional athletes.

I have. Well, "competing" is probably too strong a term. When I was in my 20s a bunch of buddies of mine used to rent ice time at midnight and we used to play shinny just for fun. One of the regulars was a guy we knew who attended two NHL training camps but was always one of the first cuts. A couple of times he invited some buddies of his who actually played a bit in the NHL. One of them didn't even play 10 games, but another took part in a couple hundred games in the NHL during his career. We also had a girl who played for Canada's women's team play with us too.

Anyway in the case of all them even though there weren't any superstars among them (very borderline professional calibre generally) they were just so far ahead of us stiffs it wasn't even funny. (I never was a very good hockey player BTW. Not even close. But some of my friends were quite good, but even with their skateguards on I betcha these people could have skated circles around my buddies.)

They may not have been regular NHLers (much less top-flight players) but they were still a million times closer to Wayne Gretzky's calibre of play, than we were to theirs.

I managed to go far enough in rugby to play a bunch of games against guys that are now playing on the Canadian or American national teams, and I was always surprised at how manageable this was.

Even in places with much more established (pro) rugby cultures like Australia/New Zealand and the UK/France, it's not uncommon for pro players to occasionally lace up for their community clubs for the occasional game. Even in Canada, it's fairly common to see former/current national team players on the other team at the club level, and while they definitely make their presence felt they don't generally turn a game on its head. I think with a sport of 15 players per side, it's pretty hard for one guy to have the same impact.

Xelebes May 21, 2018 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194700)
When you can get people to use the quote function properly and only quote the line they are referring to instead of a page long post or edit out the picture so we don't see the same picture five times on the page I might consider your proposal. Until then, uhh no.

News links often disappear and along with that the story, and people here can get a little revisionist in their thinking without a little reminder on site.

This is for legal purposes though. We have to respect copyright.

elly63 May 21, 2018 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelebes (Post 8194932)
This is for legal purposes though. We have to respect copyright.

I respect that, every article I post has author/publication/date and website link.

I have a question, why aren't the moderators for each form listed and if they are where are they? I don't know about you but "Sawmill Billowtoker" doesn't scream moderator to me. Another member seemed to be playing word games as to whether they were a mod or not. Why the secrecy, where do we find out who the mods are because it's not very transparent if they can manipulate situations to their own ends.

BTW I doubt if your editing of my post has brought you into any more compliance with the law than it already was or wasn't.

logan5 May 21, 2018 7:19 PM

The internet is so ubiquitous now that posting an article on line is practically the same as stapling your article to a telephone pole out on the street. If the publisher doesn't want their content shared for free than they put up a pay wall.

jonny24 May 22, 2018 5:24 PM

I'm a Hamilton season ticket holder... at this point I don't particularly care, he's on the team so I hope he plays well for us.

I was firmly of the opinion that we shouldn't sell the farm to get him, or give him any special treatment. And absolutely not bring him in over Masoli who has earned his spot. It seems the team has not done either, so good for them. We need a good backup.

I still think coach Jones should have used Collaros last fall. He got shafted I think, and will show us up playing for the Riders. But of course, it could be that the change of scenery was needed. We'll never know :shrug:

HomeInMyShoes May 22, 2018 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194991)
I respect that, every article I post has author/publication/date and website link.

I have a question, why aren't the moderators for each form listed and if they are where are they? I don't know about you but "Sawmill Billowtoker" doesn't scream moderator to me. Another member seemed to be playing word games as to whether they were a mod or not. Why the secrecy, where do we find out who the mods are because it's not very transparent if they can manipulate situations to their own ends.

BTW I doubt if your editing of my post has brought you into any more compliance with the law than it already was or wasn't.

Moderators names show up in purple, but I agree they should be indicated better, not everyone discerns the blue spectrum well.

cjones2451 May 22, 2018 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khabibulin (Post 8194476)
You can take the boy out of the party, but I have my doubts if you can ever take the party out of the boy.

Most young people do stupid things and party too much, but then realize we need to grow up, so why can't he. The difference is he has a million eyeballs on everything he did, good and bad.

WhipperSnapper May 22, 2018 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194991)

Naw, You're just blind and ignorant of forum rules

khabibulin May 22, 2018 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjones2451 (Post 8196120)
Most young people do stupid things and party too much, but then realize we need to grow up, so why can't he. The difference is he has a million eyeballs on everything he did, good and bad.

The difference is that young professional athletes being paid millions of dollars need to respect their team, their teammates and the team owner. If not, they get fined, fired and run out of the league. A professional athlete these days needs to treat their body as a well oiled machine or they will break down. What part of all that did Manziel not understand? Young millionaire professional athletes does not equal most young people. Is Manziel addicted to the booze, drugs, women, partying or the adulation? Any of these will be a hard habit to break. Especially for a narcissist.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nt-josh-gordon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-practice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clean-act.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tclub-on-video

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-dates-am-days

http://people.com/celebrity/johnny-m...-at-coachella/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.27ca7c416aa3

cjones2451 May 22, 2018 10:36 PM

I don't disagree, but you said you doubt that Manziel will. He's 2 years out of football, married, getting treatment for bi-polar and for all intents and purposes on his last chance. Maybe I am an optimist, and I am by no means a Manziel fan, but I hope he bounces back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khabibulin (Post 8196212)
The difference is that young professional athletes being paid millions of dollars need to respect their team, their teammates and the team owner. If not, they get fined, fired and run out of the league. A professional athlete these days needs to treat their body as a well oiled machine or they will break down. What part of all that did Manziel not understand? Young millionaire professional athletes does not equal most young people. Is Manziel addicted to the booze, drugs, women, partying or the adulation? Any of these will be a hard habit to break. Especially for a narcissist.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nt-josh-gordon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-practice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clean-act.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tclub-on-video

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...-dates-am-days

http://people.com/celebrity/johnny-m...-at-coachella/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.27ca7c416aa3

elly63 May 22, 2018 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8196028)
Moderators names show up in purple, but I agree they should be indicated better, not everyone discerns the blue spectrum well.

Thanks, you're right, I never noticed, too bad you had to tell me and not the secret society. What if the name is green. does that mean they're some sort of ahole?

elly63 May 22, 2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8194179)
I can't think of anyone who has "dominated" to the point of embarrassing the league or it's teams. Doug Flutie would be the best example of anyone coming anywhere near that and he has been about the best ambassador the league has ever had (save Pinner)

Manziel takes his first full team reps at Ticats training camp
Dan Ralph, Canadian Press May 22, 2018

But Manzeil has spoken to Doug Flutie, another former Heisman Trophy winner who won three Grey Cups and six outstanding player awards during his illustrious eight-year CFL tenure (1990-1997). After leading Toronto to a second straight league title in ’97, Flutie played another eight NFL seasons with Buffalo (1998-2000), San Diego (2001-2004) and New England (2005).

“He (Flutie) thought this game would translate to what I do very well,” Manziel said. “He spoke very highly of everything up here and how it shaped him and where he is in his life.

“I’m very appreciative to have somebody like that who I could reach out to any time.”

isaidso May 23, 2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot (Post 8194470)
Yeah ..... ok :haha:

Unless they played in U Sports or the CFL, I won't know who they are. Of course I don't know who this guy was as he came up through the football system in another country. Likewise, I didn't know who Jacob Poetl was till he got signed by the Raptors.

I watch about 30 CFL games/year, 2-3 U Sport games/year, and attend 2-3 games/year. I did attend a Super Bowl party last year (first one in 20+ years) but had no idea who any of the players were except for Tom Brady. And that's only because I wondered who that cutie pie was standing next to Gisele Bündchen a few years back. I'm not sure why this would be so amusing to you. :???:

WhipperSnapper May 23, 2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8196330)
Thanks, you're right, I never noticed, too bad you had to tell me and not the secret society. What if the name is green. does that mean they're some sort of ahole?

Exactly. I'm the self appointed moderator of aholes that don't realize they are being aholes. Having your feathers ruffled was no excuse. It's on you to know the forum rules. There's no conspiracy, secret society fluff either. SSP's moderation staff is available on the main forum page. Moderators for each subsection are posted at the bottom of that section.

The irony is that homeinmyshoes backhanded post was more derogatory than mine. That's what makes SSP so awesome.

elly63 May 23, 2018 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8196417)
There's no conspiracy, secret society fluff either. SSP's moderation staff is available on the main forum page. Moderators for each subsection are posted at the bottom of that section.

Then how come this is the first time anyone has answered this question? How come when I asked a guy if he was in charge of the CFL forum he played word games. It's like having the wolf in charge of the henhouse.

If those are the forum rules about posting it's funny they've only been enforced by that guy and never anywhere else I've posted on this site. Must have been a little too much good CFL news for the soccer snowflakes in charge to handle.

And as you're being so helpful, how about telling me who mods these sections, I'm looking and all I see are Tony and itom, is there some big secret? I don't know of any other site that hides their mods or is there a reason behind that?

elly63 May 23, 2018 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 8196145)
Naw, You're just blind and ignorant of forum rules

So this is how mods behave, not setting a very good example are we?