SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

hipster duck Mar 25, 2017 5:31 PM

Does anyone know why the big southeast Asian airports/cities - Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta - don't have direct flights from any Canadian cities? There must be some demand, and it's not like these places are out of reach anymore for a 787.

urbanfan89 Mar 25, 2017 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster duck (Post 7751766)
Does anyone know why the big southeast Asian airports/cities - Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta - don't have direct flights from any Canadian cities? There must be some demand, and it's not like these places are out of reach anymore for a 787.

AC did mention opening YVR-BKK/SIN in its future plans in an investor's day slideshow.

I'm guessing there isn't enough traffic willing to pay to save several hours for a non-stop flight, given the very convenient connections available in hubs across Asia.

It's for the same reason AC doesn't even have one daily non-stop flight from YYZ-DEL despite the vast demand.

thenoflyzone Mar 25, 2017 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanfan89 (Post 7751775)
It's for the same reason AC doesn't even have one daily non-stop flight from YYZ-DEL despite the vast demand.

AC operates YYZ-DEL non stop 4x weekly. It will go up to 6x weekly this summer. YYZ-BOM starts this july, 3x weekly.

Toronto-India has far greater demand than YVR-KUL or SIN. That is why they were launched before any Canada-Southeast Asia service.

wave46 Mar 25, 2017 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanfan89 (Post 7751775)
AC did mention opening YVR-BKK/SIN in its future plans in an investor's day slideshow.

I'm guessing there isn't enough traffic willing to pay to save several hours for a non-stop flight, given the very convenient connections available in hubs across Asia.

It's for the same reason AC doesn't even have one daily non-stop flight from YYZ-DEL despite the vast demand.

I thought AC is running a YYZ-DEL flight, albeit not daily. I think it might be 5 times per week.

To be fair, there's no non-stop flight between Singapore and New York City (or Los Angeles) currently. The economics of long haul flights break down at the extreme range limits of most aircraft. You end up using a lot of fuel just to haul fuel extreme distances. Singapore Airlines used to run a flight to NYC, but they had to limit capacity on the Airbus A340s they used. IIRC, they used an all business-class arrangement for seating.

Unless you can fill all business class seating reliably, the economics doesn't work out. Also, there's the 19 hours you spend in the air, which is stretching most people's comfort limit. I think I'd want a break at the 10 hour mark or so, to be honest.

That's part of the reason why DXB is doing so well as an airport - it is a convenient location between Europe and Asia for a transfer point. It means that flights don't have to run with completely full tanks, which means you're not wasting fuel flying tons and tons of jet fuel around and also, it allows passengers (especially those in economy seats) a chance to move around after being on a flight for 7-10 hours.

Unfortunately, the distance between North America and Southeast Asia will always mean that only the largest cities will be connected directly.

thenoflyzone Mar 25, 2017 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 7751893)

To be fair, there's no non-stop flight between Singapore and New York City (or Los Angeles) currently. The economics of long haul flights break down at the extreme range limits of most aircraft. You end up using a lot of fuel just to haul fuel extreme distances. Singapore Airlines used to run a flight to NYC, but they had to limit capacity on the Airbus A340s they used. IIRC, they used an all business-class arrangement for seating.
.

SQ will resume both LAX and NYC non stop with the A350-900ULR in 2018.

Canadian74 Mar 25, 2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7751891)
AC operates YYZ-DEL non stop 4x weekly. It will go up to 6x weekly this summer. YYZ-BOM starts this july, 3x weekly.

Toronto-India has far greater demand than YVR-KUL or SIN. That is why they were launched before any Canada-Southeast Asia service.

Isn't YYZ-DEL daily in the winter

thenoflyzone Mar 26, 2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian74 (Post 7751955)
Isn't YYZ-DEL daily in the winter

Indeed it is. You are correct. Daily in winter, and now 6x weekly in summer.

urbanfan89 Mar 26, 2017 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 7751893)
I thought AC is running a YYZ-DEL flight, albeit not daily. I think it might be 5 times per week.

To be fair, there's no non-stop flight between Singapore and New York City (or Los Angeles) currently. The economics of long haul flights break down at the extreme range limits of most aircraft. You end up using a lot of fuel just to haul fuel extreme distances. Singapore Airlines used to run a flight to NYC, but they had to limit capacity on the Airbus A340s they used. IIRC, they used an all business-class arrangement for seating.

Unless you can fill all business class seating reliably, the economics doesn't work out. Also, there's the 19 hours you spend in the air, which is stretching most people's comfort limit. I think I'd want a break at the 10 hour mark or so, to be honest.

That's part of the reason why DXB is doing so well as an airport - it is a convenient location between Europe and Asia for a transfer point. It means that flights don't have to run with completely full tanks, which means you're not wasting fuel flying tons and tons of jet fuel around and also, it allows passengers (especially those in economy seats) a chance to move around after being on a flight for 7-10 hours.

Unfortunately, the distance between North America and Southeast Asia will always mean that only the largest cities will be connected directly.

Thai Airways talks about eventually returning to North America and claims it will not return to LAX. This makes YVR-BKK a possibility. Vietnam Airlines has also talked potentially of starting SGN-YVR. We may eventually see nonstop YVR-SIN as the latter is the default business capital of ASEAN. MNL will continue to grow thanks to the sheer scope of immigration. Maybe AC Rouge will fly it seasonally. We'll likely never see a nonstop YYZ-ASEAN flight aside from MNL.

MonctonRad Mar 26, 2017 4:16 PM

Some pictures of the Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport (from their website):

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...0-1024x683.jpg
Could the airport name get any longer? There's no more space on the sign!!! :haha:

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...o-1024x683.jpg
Upstairs bar (only open at times inconvenient for most travellers). :)

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...a-1024x768.jpg
Departures lounge looks busy!

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...2-1024x683.jpg
More expansive view of the departures lounge.

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...3-1024x684.jpg
Check-in area.

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...l-1024x685.jpg
Main concourse

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...2-1024x683.jpg
Don McClure Aviation Museum on the second level of the airport terminal.

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...6-1024x768.jpg
Tunnel from the parking area to the terminal

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...2-1024x768.jpg
It's a Sunwing convention!!!

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...t-1024x347.jpg
New operations centre and fire hall.

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...5-1024x683.jpg
Main terminal

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...9-1024x683.jpg
Control tower and a couple of hangars (on the opposite side of the airfield from the main terminal).

isaidso Mar 28, 2017 12:12 AM

Nice Moncton pics. That's one ugly looking bar though. And that store? It hurts my eyes.

esquire Mar 28, 2017 2:03 PM

Great pics, MonctonRad. As interesting as the random stats and announcements about new service from Schefferville to Dubai or whereever might be, it's airport photos like those that make this thread.

optimusREIM Mar 28, 2017 3:52 PM

I must say that my only experience with the moncton airport bar was positive. That being said my sample size suffers from a serious deficiency in size.

MonctonRad Mar 28, 2017 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optimusREIM (Post 7754470)
I must say that my only experience with the moncton airport bar was positive. That being said my sample size suffers from a serious deficiency in size.

The bar looks nice to me, but it's operating hours are only from 2PM to 8PM (or something like that). Most flights into and out of the GMIA operate outside that window. There's a serious disconnect between when the bar is available and when most people are actually travelling. :rolleyes:

casper Mar 28, 2017 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7754488)
The bar looks nice to me, but it's operating hours are only from 2PM to 8PM (or something like that). Most flights into and out of the GMIA operate outside that window. There's a serious disconnect between when the bar is available and when most people are actually travelling. :rolleyes:

Some doors on the front of the liquor area and a capacitor machine it could serve double duty as a coffee bar in the morning.

LeftCoaster Mar 28, 2017 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7751342)
Not "who".

Bob the businessman living in downtown T.O and flying out of YTZ 3 times a week for business counts for 312 of the 2.5 million passengers that use that airport. So no, passenger statistics don't give us an accurate metric of who flies. Just how often the few fly !

It would be interesting to find out how many individual flyers an airports sees a year. Now that would surely be an interesting compilation.

Your implication as to the uselessness of my list was implying that very few of the large cities YVR is connected to don't fly. How many people fly is quite well represented by PAX statistics.

But you go ahead and make a list of how many unique flyers each airport sees. That seems much more useful...

LeftCoaster Mar 28, 2017 9:10 PM

Cathay started Canada's first A350 service yesterday. The plane is an absolute beauty, too bad the weather wasn't:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzanine (Post 7754817)


DrNest Mar 28, 2017 9:57 PM

She sure is a beaut. I do wonder how long it will be before we see an A350 at CYYZ on a regular schedule. Hopefully not too long.

BenTheGreat97 Mar 29, 2017 12:55 AM

Canada Jetlines has put out an announcement today, about partnering with a company to plan a route network for 15 aircraft.

http://www.jetlines.ca/announcements/

J81 Mar 29, 2017 1:58 AM

I dont find the A350 or the 787 to be aesthetically pleasing. They certainly arent hideous but they definitely lack the beauty and uniqueness of some of the other aircraft of past and present like the L1011, DC10 and of course the 747. Plane spotting just lacks the variety it had in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Just my personal opinion.

SpongeG Mar 29, 2017 7:19 PM

Trudeau airport secure despite concerns about radicalized workers, officials say

Airport confirms 4 employees had security clearance revoked, were banned from restricted area

By Kamila Hinkson, CBC News Posted: Mar 29, 2017 11:00 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 29, 2017 1:31 PM ET

https://i.cbc.ca/1.3785361.147523053...au-airport.JPG
Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau said all the country's airports, including Trudeau, are secure and protected by 'multi-layered' security. (Charles Contant/CBC)

Officials are trying to reassure the public that Montreal's Trudeau airport is secure and there are strict screening procedures in place to vet employees following a report about potentially radicalized workers.

"We do conduct, on a continuous basis, threat analysis, risk analysis, vulnerability analysis, just to make sure we can face any kind of threat," said Pierre-Paul Pharand, vice-president of airport operations.

The comments come following an investigation by the French-language television station TVA that revealed four airport employees had their security clearance revoked as a precautionary measure due to concerns they were becoming radicalized.

According to the report, at least one had access to runways and had been the subject of a police investigation.

One suggested committing an attack similar to the one in Paris in 2015 that killed 130 people, while another shared ISIS propaganda on his Facebook page.

Two of the four employees still work at the airport, according to TVA.

Pharand confirmed the people referenced in the report had their security badges withdrawn and are not allowed in restricted areas.

...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...erns-1.4045525


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.