SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Apr 28, 2018 3:52 AM

They announced that sometime last year. Have they started site work yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8169984)
Looks like Bill Matthew's Volkswagen is moving to Kelsey Drive...near the office buildings.


Offshore1 Apr 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8170469)
They announced that sometime last year. Have they started site work yet?

Pretty sure site prep work was started as of a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been by there recently to see if there's any progress.

goodgrowth Apr 28, 2018 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8170469)
They announced that sometime last year. Have they started site work yet?

Oh, never knew to be honest. There is a sign up that says "Coming 2018/2019"..didn't quite catch it.

They must be really outgrowing the existing location if they are building a new spot off the main drag...

Arrakis Apr 28, 2018 3:28 PM

I also heard that vw will keep the current location on Kenmount as an exclusive Audi dealer as that brand has become more popular in recent years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8170600)
Oh, never knew to be honest. There is a sign up that says "Coming 2018/2019"..didn't quite catch it.

They must be really outgrowing the existing location if they are building a new spot off the main drag...


goodgrowth May 7, 2018 3:52 PM

Canopy growth will open 3 retail stores in St. John's:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.4651324

Quote:

Another 60 people will have jobs at four of its retail stores located on Water Street and Kenmount Road in St. John's and Broadway in Corner Brook. The fourth retail store will be located at the production facility, which will also include a warehouse and office space.

"As soon as it's legal, we will have those retail stores open," said Ryan.

Darkfire May 16, 2018 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8162546)
Well I guess in my view almost anything is better than what was there. But all the things I am reading gives me the impression that this will be a mini smart-centre/power-centre/box-centre more so than what I think of in terms of one of those cheap basic strip malls...if that's what you are inferring. The fact that it's supposedly "national retailers", "franchises" and going to cost $25 million dollars to build...

Most classic strip malls are just filled with local business...there are already a few of those in Paradise and are not always fully utilized. I think it would be risky to just put another one in there. And my basic impression from this guy is he probably only deals with retailers that are going to be reliable/long term leasers....

Of course I could be wrong...

Here is an image of the civil drawings, project is currently on tender for the 6 buildings, interior fit up is not included, but pharmacy (I assume Shoppers), 3 restaurants (only one I've heard is Swiss Chalet), gas station, and a 4 unit retail strip
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAD...36&size_mode=3

goodgrowth May 16, 2018 8:10 PM

Nice find! Pretty much what I expected...basically a mini box-centre type retail area.

If I had to take a stab at what building is what I'd say:

- 5 is Shoppers
- 3 is convenience/gas store
- 2 and 4 are fast food restuarants
- 6 is Swiss Chalet or bank?
- 1 no idea
- 7 no idea either

Arrakis May 23, 2018 10:44 AM

A little bit more info is surfacing on that former Dominion space on Churchill Square that Sheilagh O’Leary has mentioned previously.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.4673450

goodgrowth May 23, 2018 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8196710)
A little bit more info is surfacing on that former Dominion space on Churchill Square that Sheilagh O’Leary has mentioned previously.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...cery-1.4673450

So basically a Shoppers will be going there

Horsell May 23, 2018 10:37 PM

Redeveloping that site into "just a Shoppers" is a little shortsighted. Ideally it would be nice to see the area from Scotiabank to Quintanas levelled (sorry Ben's...might have heritage implications...ha..ha) and replaced with commercial topped with three or four stories of residential. Hmmm...why not reasonably priced rental units for MUN students.

rthomasd May 23, 2018 10:41 PM

Last we heard they were going to demolish the building all the way down to the Scotiabank and rebuild.
A key question was if this new Shoppers was to replace the Shoppers in the Square and the ( as yet still not started ) Shoppers at Empire/Freshwater.

detroitdan1982 May 28, 2018 11:37 PM

Apparently a North Atlantic gas station and Dairy Queen are going on this site

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8162637)
I was up on Kelsey Drive today and a large parcel of land is being development just as your turn onto Kelsey Drive from Kenmount Road right below the TD Bank and Marks Work Wearhouse. The entrance would likely be at the Kiwanis Drive intersection. Anyone hear of what might be going there?


Arrakis May 29, 2018 2:00 AM

Dairy Queen and North Atlantic must really be in expansion mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 (Post 8202545)
Apparently a North Atlantic gas station and Dairy Queen are going on this site


goodgrowth May 29, 2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8202667)
Dairy Queen and North Atlantic must really be in expansion mode.

Dairy Queen is kinda weird...it has a full fast food menu like you'd get at any other fast food place(ie burgers and fries) but I think most only think of it as an ice cream place.

Arrakis May 29, 2018 6:10 PM

I think in the early days in St John’s, during the late 60’s or early 70’s when the first DQ opened on Topsail road and in the Avalon Mall in 1967 which was mostly just dairy products then, but today I think everyone knows it’s all about the Grill and Chill. I like their burgers more than McDonald’s.


Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8202829)
Dairy Queen is kinda weird...it has a full fast food menu like you'd get at any other fast food place(ie burgers and fries) but I think most only think of it as an ice cream place.


Larla77 Jun 15, 2018 6:47 PM

Pet Valu is opening next to Party City on Hebron Way in the new extension to that building. Party City itself is also expanding into the new addition as well.

Whink is moving to Churchill Square and out of downtown. Pretty soon downtown will be mostly pot shops.

elizabethf1985 Jun 16, 2018 11:56 AM

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this (not sure where the right place would be) but GoodLife Torbay Road club is moving to the Torbay Road Mall. The signs say October 2018 expected to open. It’ll be nice to move it out of the current location - not a fan of that spot right now. Plus this will be a brand new spot with lots more room and lots of parking that’s really only going to be shared by Shoppers. Looking forward to it.

Sox Jun 20, 2018 3:42 PM

Home Hardware
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 (Post 8223056)
I’m not sure if this is the right place for this (not sure where the right place would be) but GoodLife Torbay Road club is moving to the Torbay Road Mall. The signs say October 2018 expected to open. It’ll be nice to move it out of the current location - not a fan of that spot right now. Plus this will be a brand new spot with lots more room and lots of parking that’s really only going to be shared by Shoppers. Looking forward to it.

I also heard through the grapevine, that Home Hardware was opening up in this plaza as well ( not sure if this is true or not ). If this is indeed true, the parking issue will definitely rear its ugly head ! This lot is not all that big, especially if its servicing the mall, Shoppers, GoodLife and a Home Hardware . Could be a parking nightmare .

colinpeddle Jun 20, 2018 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8227186)
Could be a parking nightmare .

Truthfully, it's not a great lot to get around in up near shoppers/torbay road side and down closer to Tim's. They'll hopefully do some work on the medians/dividers/paint in that lot to organize it more. Perhaps this is what they've been waiting for.

rthomasd Jun 20, 2018 7:42 PM

Looks like there's a demolition in progress for 323 Kenmount ( Christmas / Halloween warehouse ) at the intersection of Kenmount / Kelsey. I don't remember seeing any plans for that site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.