SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

DoomJ Aug 12, 2013 3:52 AM

Construction:

This is under way at Union/Marshall/Myrtle intersection - new nursing building for Southwest Community College- not much to see yet; I was passing behind it on Beale St.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3807/9...ff5d72a7_c.jpg

Intersection of Florida St. and Carolina Ave., Northwest corner, land being cleared and leveled.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3828/9...125f6fd2_c.jpg

Intersection of Florida St. and Carolina Ave., Southeast corner, diagonal from last shot, land being cleared and leveled.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/9...2acc17c7_c.jpg

Intersection of Florida St. and Carolina Ave., Northeast corner, land for sale.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3740/9...defaf783_c.jpg

Of note, the Overton Square garage is in the process of being clad with its exterior "skin". Didn't get a picture, but saw it.

arkitekte Aug 12, 2013 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6229125)

Of note, the Overton Square garage is in the process of being clad with its exterior "skin". Didn't get a picture, but saw it.

Thanks for the updates. I'm back in town now so I'll try to grab some of Overton Square tomorrow.

VSRJ Aug 12, 2013 4:57 AM

It's good to see construction around the city! I can't wait to see vertical construction begin at the apartments/condos at Florida/Carolina. Has anyone seen any renderings of that project yet?

On a less exciting note, the Walgreens under construction at Poplar/White Station (because Memphis needs more Walgreens) looks like it will have a different design from the standard cookie cutter Walgreens. It may look similar to this rendering for a Gulfport, MS location:

http://i40.tinypic.com/msbsde.jpg

I'll try to grab a picture of the construction site this week.

kingchef Aug 12, 2013 8:07 AM

i agree w/ much of what you say, ark; however, i don't think that other communities should try to direct memphis and where it should invest for self-interest. regardless of what many want to believe, it is memphis that has to be the forerunner in entertainment, retail, dining, dancing (one thing memphis could use is a very nice dance club w/ live music, good cocktail hour, piano bar, great table doe and selected seasonal menu. i think beale street needs some different clubs, and it definitely needs one or two nationally known resturants/clubs. i didn't realize that the project noir proposal had been turned into heritage trail. the 5 year figure for the convention was mentioned at least 4 years ago, so time goes by, while the partying continues. i really would like to see the south main district laid out and building itself up. the royal phoenix deal is really beginning to look suspicious. lots of money, but no buildings, signs, plans submitted, explanations to the community, and a bad history w/ large amounts of money and property missing.

i yet have been able to figure out why a decent market cannot get built in that area and in the pinch district, too. it seems that no one listens to the citizens. it was my understanding,well over two years ago, that robert libscomb outlined when this work would begin for deconstruction and when it would become a building project under the hope money. as for corporate interests in downtown, looking at some national stats and figures, memphis on the radar for some projects, as compared to other cities, turley company cbre seemed to be very upbeat about the corporate climate in memphis. some incentives could be offered, some arm twisting done, some favors called in for payment for some of these large corporations moving around in the city. i don't know how many people ask me questions about memphis, and they seem to think that no corporate representation is located in the city. usually, that participates a drive to these various nice looking campus that are, for the most part, huge and beautiful. i love seeing the reactions. usually, the questions begin like flying bullets. i didn't know memphis had this or that, these are beautiful buildings, why aren't some of these buildings built downtown, etc. etc.? it seems as if the west airport area is the next blossoming area. c. turley and some of these other national investors apparently have plans for memphis, but i believe that there is a brain freeze that occurs between the doers and those who are the thinkers. we can't even get an outer beltway finished and information given out to the citizens, although we've been told over and over that the project was about 9 months ahead of schedule. we're even beginning to hear that the research center is beginning to lag behind on its projects. southwest school of biosciences had three redraws over two years, while the announcement had been approved over four years ago. if i had to, i could assemble the projects, dates, delays, unfinished work, and other regular practices. it gets old and it is a business and management pattern that should be carefully scrutinized. btw, it current photos of the two 20 story jefferson buildings, the parking deck they razed, etc. even the white methodist can't seem to get the church finished. supposedly their membership had grown tremendously, because of the resident growth downtown. however, if doubt that there is a person in the nation or anywhere else, who could tell you the resident population of memphis, the city proper, which is really over 710,00, as the shelby county population exceeds over 1 million residence, most civic leaders would know and celebrate that number, but in memphis no one seems to know or be concerned, if though that number is significant, in that the government recognizes federal funds for those areas---thus to keep up w/ it would mean additional funds for our entire area. the metro area is consistently low-balled, which is slightly above 1.4 million in the immediate metro area, but greater memphis is 2.2 million. in fact, the government hasn't even reported its own numbers correctly, when it left off the new area in mississippi as metro memphis and left the st. francis county number incorrectly, as it listed it a csa area. the new memphis population took in 37,000+ residents, however, no one has accounted for the huge discrepancy of both the hispanic and asian populations, which is suspected to run easily over 66,000. this, to me, is indicative of the shots in the foot that memphis takes, when it fails to follow up some of these real issues. much more important than hearing the city council argue about the names of parks, and that is because the "i want my way come hell or high water!"

Trevor Birchett Aug 12, 2013 9:03 PM

The Downtown Memphis Marriott is no more...the building has officially been purchased by Sheraton and will be undergoing renovations over the next few weeks.

Sheraton Hotels Welcomes Travelers to Memphis, Tennessee Following Strategic Conversion
Fort Mill Times

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/08...travelers.html

VSRJ Aug 12, 2013 11:27 PM

Does this mean that Marriott is looking to build elsewhere in (Downtown) Memphis, or are they simply downsizing their presence in the region. This should be interesting to watch develop.

DoomJ Aug 12, 2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6230117)
Does this mean that Marriott is looking to build elsewhere in (Downtown) Memphis, or are they simply downsizing their presence in the region. This should be interesting to watch develop.

Indeed. That big "COMING SOON HOTEL RESTAURANT" sign sits on the lot across from the Pyramid taunting our curiousity.

James Owen Aug 13, 2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6230117)

It's possible, but it all depends on whether or not a developer or hotel management group wants to affiliate a property with the Marriott brand. National hotel chains (i.e., Hilton, Starwood, Marriott, Intercontinental) never really own or develop properties themselves, but they do directly work with companies to make sure such developments are done to their standards in order to receive such branding, which change every few years.

For now at least, Memphis will have just one Marriott (the new one on Poplar), but if a developer wants to open up another one under the Marriott banner, they are welcomed to do so.

VSRJ Aug 13, 2013 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Owen (Post 6230191)
It's possible, but it all depends on whether or not a developer or hotel management group wants to affiliate a property with the Marriott brand. National hotel chains (i.e., Hilton, Starwood, Marriott, Intercontinental) never really own or develop properties themselves, but they do directly work with companies to make sure such developments are done to their standards in order to receive such branding, which change every few years.

For now at least, Memphis will have just one Marriott (the new one on Poplar), but if a developer wants to open up another one under the Marriott banner, they are welcomed to do so.

Okay, that makes sense. I've always been somewhat confused by that process. Thanks for the clarification.

I think it's known that Downtown needs more hotel rooms, so hopefully we'll see some development in the future.

James Owen Aug 13, 2013 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6229177)
On a less exciting note, the Walgreens under construction at Poplar/White Station (because Memphis needs more Walgreens) looks like it will have a different design from the standard cookie cutter Walgreens. It may look similar to this rendering for a Gulfport, MS location:

http://i40.tinypic.com/msbsde.jpg

I'll try to grab a picture of the construction site this week.

Actually, this is a free-standing store Walgreen's is building to replace the Ike's drug store at Eastgate they currently manage. Design-wise, it may look very similar to the picture you posted, but the finished product may not be exactly the same.

Speaking of Walgreen's, I read in the Memphis Daily News that they may be exploring options for the other Ike's on Union and Cooper. The fuel center portion of that store was recently closed since it doesn't really fit their business model, and two of the options mentioned for the Ike's was either converting it to a full-fledged Walgreen's or selling the property altogether to a non-competitor (Fresh Market was floated around as a possibility since it would fit their needs space-wise). That's something to watch also, though it's just speculation at the moment.

arkitekte Aug 13, 2013 1:31 AM

This could possibly another step in the redevelopment of 100 N. Main.

Tallest building in Memphis has a new owner

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/819651/web100nmain.jpg

Quote:

The tallest building in Memphis has a new owner.
One Hundred North Main LLC claimed the property from Myron Zimmerman Revocable Trust for $5 million, according to a warranty deed filing with the Shelby County Register of Deeds.
Quote:

The property, which sits on 1 acre and has a 400-car garage, appraised for $3.7 million this year. It was listed for sale for $20 million last year and marketing information suggested it could be redeveloped into a mixed-use residential, retail, hotel or office property.

MIRYDI Aug 13, 2013 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6230270)
This could possibly another step in the redevelopment of 100 N. Main.

Is this building occupied? Also, the redevelopments they are talking about doing, do you think that would include anything to the exterior? If so how would you feel about that?

Huntsvillenative Aug 13, 2013 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIRYDI (Post 6230283)
Is this building occupied? Also, the redevelopments they are talking about doing, do you think that would include anything to the exterior? If so how would you feel about that?

They need to remodel the exterior. That building looks so outdated.

arkitekte Aug 13, 2013 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIRYDI (Post 6230283)

It has been occupied although 20% was occupied earlier this summer.

The building itself is being nominated for the National Register due to its functioning rotating restaurant on top, which still works. I don't think a reclad is out of the question, but it wouldn't be able to alter the appearance or function of the rotating restaurant, and it would also be fairly expensive.

Any recladding would also have to fall into the Main Street Design Guidelines at ground level and roughly 3 or 4 floors up so that a new design won't damage the integrity of the designs already set in place on Main Street.

I don't know much, but I did get this information, and the information in this following post from someone who is pretty reliable. Here's some more info.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1632

arkitekte Aug 13, 2013 3:08 PM

Beale Street Landing looks for restaurant tenant, again
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...looks-for.html

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/716591...ngentrance.jpg

Quote:

The Riverfront Development Corp. is again looking for a restaurant to occupy Beale Street Landing.
According to the Commercial Appeal, the RDC is accepting applications through the end of the month.
Quote:

The first restaurant tenant, Gerald "Bud" Chittom, said his deal with Beale Street Landing ended because the RDC repeatedly changed the terms of the deal.
I'll be curious to see which restaurant actually does move into BSL, and if their move there is actually profitable. I don't see it happening, but that's my opinion.

MIRYDI Aug 13, 2013 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6230314)
It has been occupied although 20% was occupied earlier this summer.

The building itself is being nominated for the National Register due to its functioning rotating restaurant on top, which still works. I don't think a reclad is out of the question, but it wouldn't be able to alter the appearance or function of the rotating restaurant, and it would also be fairly expensive.

Any recladding would also have to fall into the Main Street Design Guidelines at ground level and roughly 3 or 4 floors up so that a new design won't damage the integrity of the designs already set in place on Main Street.

I don't know much, but I did get this information, and the information in this following post from someone who is pretty reliable. Here's some more info.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1632

For what it's worth I don't think the cladding that's on it now looks bad. But it would be cool to see a few modern touches incorporated into it somehow during the redevelopment process.

Anyway's, I didn't know that it had a rotating restaraunt on top. That's pretty cool! learn something new everyday. We kind of have something like that here at the Sheraton, although obviously not as high, and not sure if it rotates or not (never been up there). I wonder if one was inspired by the other maybe?

On another note, am I reading it right that the article say that it was appraised for 3.7 million this year but was up for sale for 20 million last year? If so holy price drop! Someone is going to get a smoking deal on that tower.

zookeeper Aug 13, 2013 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingchef (Post 6229245)
i agree w/ much of what you say, ark; however, i don't think that other communities should try to direct memphis and where it should invest for self-interest. regardless of what many want to believe, it is memphis that has to be the forerunner in entertainment, retail, dining, dancing (one thing memphis could use is a very nice dance club w/ live music, good cocktail hour, piano bar, great table doe and selected seasonal menu. i think beale street needs some different clubs, and it definitely needs one or two nationally known resturants/clubs. i didn't realize that the project noir proposal had been turned into heritage trail. the 5 year figure for the convention was mentioned at least 4 years ago, so time goes by, while the partying continues. i really would like to see the south main district laid out and building itself up. the royal phoenix deal is really beginning to look suspicious. lots of money, but no buildings, signs, plans submitted, explanations to the community, and a bad history w/ large amounts of money and property missing.

i yet have been able to figure out why a decent market cannot get built in that area and in the pinch district, too. it seems that no one listens to the citizens. it was my understanding,well over two years ago, that robert libscomb outlined when this work would begin for deconstruction and when it would become a building project under the hope money. as for corporate interests in downtown, looking at some national stats and figures, memphis on the radar for some projects, as compared to other cities, turley company cbre seemed to be very upbeat about the corporate climate in memphis. some incentives could be offered, some arm twisting done, some favors called in for payment for some of these large corporations moving around in the city. i don't know how many people ask me questions about memphis, and they seem to think that no corporate representation is located in the city. usually, that participates a drive to these various nice looking campus that are, for the most part, huge and beautiful. i love seeing the reactions. usually, the questions begin like flying bullets. i didn't know memphis had this or that, these are beautiful buildings, why aren't some of these buildings built downtown, etc. etc.? it seems as if the west airport area is the next blossoming area. c. turley and some of these other national investors apparently have plans for memphis, but i believe that there is a brain freeze that occurs between the doers and those who are the thinkers. we can't even get an outer beltway finished and information given out to the citizens, although we've been told over and over that the project was about 9 months ahead of schedule. we're even beginning to hear that the research center is beginning to lag behind on its projects. southwest school of biosciences had three redraws over two years, while the announcement had been approved over four years ago. if i had to, i could assemble the projects, dates, delays, unfinished work, and other regular practices. it gets old and it is a business and management pattern that should be carefully scrutinized. btw, it current

Sorry for truncating your quote.

The Mayor unfortunately is not much different than the last one. The biggest difference is Wharton means well but has become ineffective. His early success appears to be some type of agreement he had with Herrenton before he left office. All Wharton did was close the deals Herrenton left for him on purpose. This is all conjecture and my opinion, but I really haven't seen any improvement driven by Wharton except Federal dollars for bike lanes.

Heck I will bet he didn't even contribute a dime to saving the 19 Century Club.

The Mayor needs to lock himself in a room and come out with 3 substantial efforts to move the City forward. Yes money "turns" are good for the City, but in Memphis a dollar bill can only last so long before it needs to be recycled, meaning the Cities growth is limited by outside influence and investment.

If I were Mayor, my 3 efforts would be:

1. Design a new Convention Center and get on with it. Use an outside design firm because the current ones are too inbred. No offense to locals. It needs to be world class to attract world class attendance, not COGIC.

2. Bring in ONE satellite business from Silicon Valley CA like a branch of Google or some other high intensity SV business and GIVE them whatever they want. The connection and interaction would be priceless in a few years.

3. Start recruiting countrywide for key medical people to grow the medical campuses with specialty beyond St. Jude etc. The whole Union PIT should have been completed years ago had there been some top talent names sponsoring the investment.

Now when is that next election.

DoomJ Aug 13, 2013 8:02 PM

Some thoughts on Crosstown:

An acquaintance of mine "in the know" with one of the "founding partners" of the Crosstown redevelopment project posted pictures on Facebook last week of a building tour he was taking of the old Sears building with some of his associates. A couple of pictures clearly showed plans on display that they were looking at. Some of his descriptions included "here is our future home" where "we will be" in a couple years. Basically, talking like it's a done deal. Haven't heard anything public. Also haven't asked him to clarify. But I also saw a story that ran on channel 3 in the last week and a half profiling the redevelopment effort (but no new details).

Hopefully this means they have or are about to close that last remaining funding gap they had? Anyone heard any rumblings?

arkitekte Aug 13, 2013 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zookeeper (Post 6231349)

The Mayor unfortunately is not much different than the last one. The biggest difference is Wharton means well but has become ineffective. His early success appears to be some type of agreement he had with Herrenton before he left office. All Wharton did was close the deals Herrenton left for him on purpose. This is all conjecture and my opinion, but I really haven't seen any improvement driven by Wharton except Federal dollars for bike lanes.

Since I've been in Memphis I've learned that nothing get's done here unless you have something to offer whomever is willing to do something. Nothing to give, nothing to receive...even more so than it is in other cities.

Quote:

Heck I will bet he didn't even contribute a dime to saving the 19 Century Club.
See above. The 19th Century Club deal is about to get messier than it already is. That sale went down for the sole purpose of buying the current president of the club a spot on the CMOM Board. Now the current president of the 19th Century Club as well as the other 3 members that were involved are looking at having to pay back the price for which the Club was sold for as well as damages, lawyer fees, and court fees to the current owner. That's if the courts side with keeping the Club. While the exterior of the building hasn't experienced any demo, the interior has severely damaging it's integrity and making many of the reasons why the Club is on the National Register void.

Hell if you're going to make a crooked business deal at least make it to where there's a lot of digging to find out how and why it went down.

Quote:

The Mayor needs to lock himself in a room and come out with 3 substantial efforts to move the City forward. Yes money "turns" are good for the City, but in Memphis a dollar bill can only last so long before it needs to be recycled, meaning the Cities growth is limited by outside influence and investment.
I agree with you here, but the mayor can't do much on bringing in outside money. To keep Memphis companies here they have to work out a deal similar to the one International Paper got.

Quote:

If I were Mayor, my 3 efforts would be:

1. Design a new Convention Center and get on with it. Use an outside design firm because the current ones are too inbred. No offense to locals. It needs to be world class to attract world class attendance, not COGIC.
Memphis architecture is tired and inbred because no one in Memphis wants to spend money. An older Memphis architect told me a few years ago the architecture here is bland because it's "Cheap ass Memphis".

Quote:

2. Bring in ONE satellite business from Silicon Valley CA like a branch of Google or some other high intensity SV business and GIVE them whatever they want. The connection and interaction would be priceless in a few years.
Memphis needs more jobs in this field. I agree you need to give them whatever it takes to come to Memphis, but that would once again be like International Paper where that company is making millions each quarter and paying hardly nothing back to the city.

Quote:

3. Start recruiting countrywide for key medical people to grow the medical campuses with specialty beyond St. Jude etc. The whole Union PIT should have been completed years ago had there been some top talent names sponsoring the investment.
This is where Memphis is good, and Memphis should focus on the health care industry.

Quote:

Now when is that next election.
I don't think that will change much.

arkitekte Aug 13, 2013 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6231371)
Some thoughts on Crosstown:

An acquaintance of mine "in the know" with one of the "founding partners" of the Crosstown redevelopment project posted pictures on Facebook last week of a building tour he was taking of the old Sears building with some of his associates. A couple of pictures clearly showed plans on display that they were looking at. Some of his descriptions included "here is our future home" where "we will be" in a couple years. Basically, talking like it's a done deal. Haven't heard anything public. Also haven't asked him to clarify. But I also saw a story that ran on channel 3 in the last week and a half profiling the redevelopment effort (but no new details).

Hopefully this means they have or are about to close that last remaining funding gap they had? Anyone heard any rumblings?

I've heard some, but they're different that what you've heard.