SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

Johnny Ryall Dec 20, 2013 4:26 AM

Crosstown Construction Bidding Process Underway
Memphis Daily News


Quote:

Memphis-based Grinder, Taber & Grinder Inc. is serving as the general contractor for the $180 million project, and bids for subcontracting work on everything from electrical systems to plumbing went out this week. “The bidding process for subcontractors has started,” said Crosstown project co-leader Todd Richardson. “The docs are in folks’ hands and the process has stated.” The search for subcontractors, which should take two to three months, is another milestone in the long-running effort to revitalize the mammoth Crosstown building.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...cess-underway/

Johnny Ryall Dec 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Klondike and Smokey City neighborhoods get city attention as a result of Crosstown plans
Memphis Flyer


Quote:

Today, Klondike and the neighboring Smokey City community are considered food deserts, and the neighborhoods are home to vacant lots and blighted properties. But city Housing and Community Development director Robert Lipscomb is hoping to piggyback off of the planned Crosstown development, which will kick off construction next year just a few blocks south of Klondike and Smokey City, to revitalize the two North Memphis neighborhoods.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=3571506

Memphis Flyer
http://www.memphisflyer.com/imager/p...londikemap.jpg

Johnny Ryall Dec 20, 2013 5:17 PM

Developer lands prime site for Hilton, Holiday Inn properties
Project to add 225 rooms in Downtown Memphis
Memphis Biz Journals


Quote:

Knoxville-based Turkey Creek Hospitality has received approval from Hilton Worldwide and InterContinental Hotels Group to develop a seven-story, 140-room Hilton Garden Inn and a 115-room Holiday Inn Express at 235 Union Ave. across the street from AutoZone Park.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-Downtown.html

Alan Howell | MBJ
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/164328...te4thunion.jpg

DoomJ Dec 20, 2013 6:00 PM

Some Riverfront and Bicycle-Pedestrian infrastructure news:

Article in Memphis Magazine updates the Jeff Speck analysis of Riverfront plans: http://www.memphismagazine.com/Decem...al-Attraction/
Quote:

Wharton says Speck’s report is not headed for a dusty shelf but for implementation. “His report gave me a coherent, complementary vision, and the process to follow it goes on,” he says. “My job is to go above and beyond one particular attraction, organization, and point of view and to shape a broad vision around the river.”
Also, article from the Greenlane Project about protected bike lanes being installed this spring on the Crump/Danny Thomas corridor: http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/e...protected-lane
Quote:

Boston Magazine is warning darkly that bicyles are the newest wedge in the culture wars between urban and rural sensibilities. And in most state transportation departments, the attitude toward allowing protected bike lanes on state roads that run through urban areas — let alone helping fund them — ranges from hesitance to outright resistance.

Maybe someone forgot to tell the Tennessee Department of Transportation.

"Most people are not going to feel comfortable riding in a bike lane with just a stripe protecting them," TDOT bicycle and pedestrian coordinator Jessica Wilson said in an interview Wednesday. "That extra protection is really going to encourage people to change. … That's when you really start seeing reduction in traffic, because people feel comfortable enough to shift modes."

Next spring, TDOT will fund its first protected bike lane project, a 3.5-mile stretch of State Route 1 in Memphis, along Danny Thomas Boulevard and Crump Avenue, that was already due for repaving.

VSRJ Dec 20, 2013 9:04 PM

Bass Pro Pyramid Progress:

http://www.downtownmemphiscommission...on-update.html

http://i43.tinypic.com/jhc9ro.jpg

Quote:

It may seem quiet on the outside of The Pyramid but inside things are popping! Currently, construction is taking place to build an elevator shaft that will take visitors to the summit of The Pyramid which will offer public access to the best views in Memphis. The summit will have a restaurant and bar, along with water features and other attractions.

Now that most of the city's remediation is complete, Bass Pro has an aggressive construction timeline to build out the 26,000-sf water features, retail space, bowling alley, and 60-room hotel, in addition to other attractions. In a recent update to the Downtown Memphis Commission board, the construction team confirmed that it is on track to meet their target completion date of November 1, 2014.

Huntsvillenative Dec 20, 2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6381293)

Only 60 hotel rooms? There are some motels with more rooms than that.

arkitekte Dec 20, 2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6381438)
Only 60 hotel rooms? There are some motels with more rooms than that.

That's actually best. Only 60 hotel rooms inside the Pyramid means that

A) There's only 60 rooms so there will be a need for more throughout downtown depending on how many people are going to be buying hotel rooms because of Bass Pro.

B) The number of people that can sleep, eat, and shop in the Pyramid will be fairly low creating revenue downtown outside of the Pyramid.

C) They'll probably be pretty expensive which in theory should make people go with a cheaper alternative somewhere else downtown.

Bass Pro is going to make a killing off of the super store, we don't want them taking hotel nights away from other hotels downtown, especially if we want to see more hotels proposed and built. Their initial plan was for more hotel rooms so they could sell the idea that someone could come to the Pyramid and eat, sleep, drink, and shop til they drop without having to leave. Only 60 hotel rooms throws a brick through that plan.

Wayward Memphian Dec 20, 2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6381459)
That's actually best. Only 60 hotel rooms inside the Pyramid means that

A) There's only 60 rooms so there will be a need for more throughout downtown depending on how many people are going to be buying hotel rooms because of Bass Pro.

B) The number of people that can sleep, eat, and shop in the Pyramid will be fairly low creating revenue downtown outside of the Pyramid.

C) They'll probably be pretty expensive which in theory should make people go with a cheaper alternative somewhere else downtown.

Bass Pro is going to make a killing off of the super store, we don't want them taking hotel nights away from other hotels downtown, especially if we want to see more hotels proposed and built. Their initial plan was for more hotel rooms so they could sell the idea that someone could come to the Pyramid and eat, sleep, drink, and shop til they drop without having to leave. Only 60 hotel rooms throws a brick through that plan.

This is where I always chime in about a new convention center around Beale and a retrofitting the Cook with family attractions that appeal to weekend getaways(see KC Crown Center) and a redevelopment of Mud Island with at least a Tom and Huck themed water park on the north end with a grandiose vision of a development like Galveston Pier or Kemah Board Walk with rides and even a hotel.

Huntsvillenative Dec 20, 2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381486)
This is where I always chime in about a new convention center around Beale and a retrofitting the Cook with family attractions that appeal to weekend getaways(see KC Crown Center) and a redevelopment of Mud Island with at least a Tom and Huck themed water park on the north end with a grandiose vision of a development like Galveston Pier or Kemah Board Walk with rides and even a hotel.

You have a great creative mind. It's a shame that the city officials don't and lack brain cells.

Wayward Memphian Dec 20, 2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall (Post 6380936)
Developer lands prime site for Hilton, Holiday Inn properties
Project to add 225 rooms in Downtown Memphis
Memphis Biz Journals




http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-Downtown.html

Alan Howell | MBJ
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/164328...te4thunion.jpg

Well, that's like building one big hotel. I look forward to the renderings hoping they compliment the existing looks of the area and hopefully a few store fronts as well.

This is a rendering of a proposed HI Express of similar size in OKC Bricktown Area Downtown, close to their AAA ballfield.
http://assets.hospitalityonline.com/...1/213053_l.jpg

arkitekte Dec 21, 2013 12:16 AM

^I could live with that. I'm mainly hoping right now that with whatever design we get there's no stucco and that it actually fronts the street and isn't setback (which I don't think we'll have to worry about any setbacks). Unfortunately I think stucco is where this one is headed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381486)
This is where I always chime in about a new convention center around Beale and a retrofitting the Cook with family attractions that appeal to weekend getaways(see KC Crown Center) and a redevelopment of Mud Island with at least a Tom and Huck themed water park on the north end with a grandiose vision of a development like Galveston Pier or Kemah Board Walk with rides and even a hotel.

Eventually the city will have to face this issue, and I think we'll see some form of a new development or a redevelopment of convention space. I hope its new development because I think retrofitting the Cook would be a waste of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6381496)
You have a great creative mind. It's a shame that the city officials don't and lack brain cells.

They're creative; if they weren't they wouldn't hold public office. ;)

Wayward Memphian Dec 21, 2013 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6381496)
You have a great creative mind. It's a shame that the city officials don't and lack brain cells.

Look that stuff up, some of the things in the Crown Center(Hallmark's HQ BTW) is a Crayola Café and store, some unique retail(not major chains), a Children's theater, Two of Merlin Entertainment's attractions which are a Sealife Aquarium and a LEGO Discovery Center, an outdoor plaza that hosts outdoor movies, arts and crafts sales and a slash pad in the summer and an ice rink in the winter.

In my little wondering head, I can envision the Pinch with a themed restaurant like Rainforest Café, Aquarium, or T Rex. More destination retail like American Girl. My brother has taken his girl to Atlanta for that and that's how I went to my first trip to KC. The KC location is attached to the Memphis equivalent of the Wolfchase Gallaria.

I just think it should be family driven cause Beale and it's expansion takes care of the adult stuff yet it's connected to a degree by the trolley system and the fact it's so close St Jude and it's work for children with cancer

Sorry for once again going there.

Wayward Memphian Dec 21, 2013 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6381459)
That's actually best. Only 60 hotel rooms inside the Pyramid means that

A) There's only 60 rooms so there will be a need for more throughout downtown depending on how many people are going to be buying hotel rooms because of Bass Pro.

B) The number of people that can sleep, eat, and shop in the Pyramid will be fairly low creating revenue downtown outside of the Pyramid.

C) They'll probably be pretty expensive which in theory should make people go with a cheaper alternative somewhere else downtown.

Bass Pro is going to make a killing off of the super store, we don't want them taking hotel nights away from other hotels downtown, especially if we want to see more hotels proposed and built. Their initial plan was for more hotel rooms so they could sell the idea that someone could come to the Pyramid and eat, sleep, drink, and shop til they drop without having to leave. Only 60 hotel rooms throws a brick through that plan.

The cynical part of me sees these few rooms as a pitch for their Big Cedar Lodge resort/time share up here in Branson. Ol' Morris is about to finish up his pet project that is the Wonders of Wildlife museum, he's bought and redoing the Top of the Rock golf course right on the Ark/Mo border on 65. It was an out of sight par 3 wonder before he got it and closed it 5 years ago.
http://www.explorebranson.com/member...poftherock.jpg

http://bassprocorp.com/BPS/Userfiles...idgetoHole.jpg

And he's bought two other branson area courses, one of which is the #1 rated public course in Missouri

He'll be using that Memphis store to sell and pitch all his ventures up here.

And in a pitch cause I'll be going early next week, Silver Dollar City in one of the best theme parks in North America not in Florida or Cali and they put on a hell of a Christmas time event.

Huntsvillenative Dec 21, 2013 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381572)
Look that stuff up, some of the things in the Crown Center(Hallmark's HQ BTW) is a Crayola Café and store, some unique retail(not major chains), a Children's theater, Two of Merlin Entertainment's attractions which are a Sealife Aquarium and a LEGO Discovery Center, an outdoor plaza that hosts outdoor movies, arts and crafts sales and a slash pad in the summer and an ice rink in the winter.

In my little wondering head, I can envision the Pinch with a themed restaurant like Rainforest Café, Aquarium, or T Rex. More destination retail like American Girl. My brother has taken his girl to Atlanta for that and that's how I went to my first trip to KC. The KC location is attached to the Memphis equivalent of the Wolfchase Gallaria.

I just think it should be family driven cause Beale and it's expansion takes care of the adult stuff yet it's connected to a degree by the trolley system and the fact it's so close St Jude and it's work for children with cancer

Sorry for once again going there.

Atlanta is the perfect example of creativity and taking advantage of opportunities. ATL developed the Cocoa Cola World then developed the top aquarium in the world right across from it. Since then tourism has skyrocketed. Memphis has Graceland, Beale Street, Civil Rights museum and top rated zoo and doesn't take advantage of it and build on it. For a city desperate to find ways to create revenue you would think they would build on the tourism.

Wayward Memphian Dec 21, 2013 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6381648)
Atlanta is the perfect example of creativity and taking advantage of opportunities. ATL developed the Cocoa Cola World then developed the top aquarium in the world right across from it. Since then tourism has skyrocketed. Memphis has Graceland, Beale Street, Civil Rights museum and top rated zoo and doesn't take advantage of it and build on it. For a city desperate to find ways to create revenue you would think they would build on the tourism.

There's some development in the Atlanta area that's basically a sports village. I found out about it because they announced they were building a polarcoaster. Lakepointe: http://www.lakepointsports.com/

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/wp-con.../lakepoint.png

Kinda reminds me of some of the things they want to do with the fairgrounds.

Huntsvillenative Dec 21, 2013 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381881)
There's some development in the Atlanta area that's basically a sports village. I found out about it because they announced they were building a polarcoaster. Lakepointe: http://www.lakepointsports.com/

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/wp-con.../lakepoint.png

Kinda reminds me of some of the things they want to do with the fairgrounds.

Only that looks much nicer and appealing than what the fairgrounds master plan looks like.

arkitekte Dec 21, 2013 5:20 PM

^The main issue with that development in Atlanta and how it relates to Memphis is that it's meant for the suburbs. Having an extensive development in the core here with numerous ball parks or amusement type attractions is almost a waste of land and most of the time they have run their course after 20 years or so. That's my main problem with the fairgrounds redevelopment. The retail, community, and even hotel space is perfectly fine, but I think the addition of baseball parks to attract travel ball tournaments is a waste of space and money.

Another issue with amusement type developments is that after a while people get tired of it and don't go...That's the problem that 6 Flags and other theme parks have (larger metros don't have this problem as much). In my opinion the only developments that will spark more developments downtown is new convention space that won't be limited to a particular season and the development of new commercial and residential space downtown, but I think that it starts with new commercial space. Build it and they'll come.

Johnny Ryall Dec 21, 2013 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381498)
Well, that's like building one big hotel. I look forward to the renderings hoping they compliment the existing looks of the area and hopefully a few store fronts as well. This is a rendering of a proposed HI Express of similar size in OKC Bricktown Area Downtown, close to their AAA ballfield.
http://assets.hospitalityonline.com/...1/213053_l.jpg

Great example of what exterior this development should have being next to Autozone Park. Seems you'd want to market & associate yourself in that way just as they did with Bricktown. After all, Autozone Park is only the $85 million-centerpiece of the greater Memphis Ballpark Neighborhood, a $200 million+ mixed use development (much more if adjusted for inflation considering Autozone Park alone would cost over $110 million now) http://www.lrk.com/projects/memphis-...-neighborhood/

Johnny Ryall Dec 21, 2013 5:48 PM

I also happened to notice this on the Looney, Ricks & Kiss architectural firm's website:

Cleaborn Pointe at Heritage Landing

Quote:

With the goal of creating mixed-use, mixed-income housing, 460 aging inner city, public housing units are being replaced with 400 new units, including 80 senior apartments, a community center and green spaces integrally tied to the surrounding neighborhood, local schools, parks and other redevelopment. The project is part of the 10-year, $1 billion Triangle Noir initiative to transform a 20-city-block area south of FedExForum. The long-range plan is to secure another HOPE VI funding grant to raze and redevelop the adjacent deteriorating Foote Homes complex.
http://www.lrk.com/projects/claeborn...itage-landing/

James Owen Dec 22, 2013 6:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6381438)
Only 60 hotel rooms? There are some motels with more rooms than that.

Keep in mind that one of the most recent plans for Bass Pro included the construction of cabins on the upper level of the Pyramid as opposed to an actual hotel, which would have cost the city much more to do structural work on in addition to the seismic retrofitting that had to happen first. Unless they've altered those plans since then, that's pretty much what we're getting, and frees up an opportunity for a developer to build an anchor hotel nearby in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6381498)
This is a rendering of a proposed HI Express of similar size in OKC Bricktown Area Downtown, close to their AAA ballfield.
http://assets.hospitalityonline.com/...1/213053_l.jpg

That design would fit in perfectly with the area. Hopefully we get something similar along those lines.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.