SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Blader Mar 22, 2019 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubicon (Post 8515211)
This is what I was wondering about. WestJet can get by as (I think) as they only operate the 737. Short term AC eats the salaries of their MAX pilots who are now sitting at home. If this goes on longer term then it will get interesting as this is not a great situation for them financially.

AC has 24 frames, WS has 13. Both have trained pilots to fly the frames. Both have the frames parked. Both have a surplus of pilots sitting at home. Is my logic flawed?

Edit:
Now it maybe that WS pilots can fly all 737 frames and thus the impact of MAX frames is shared, and thus has a smaller impact on pilots flying. Nonetheless, the impact on both airlines, financially, is another matter.

TorontoDrew Mar 22, 2019 6:35 PM

Toronto's island airport voted one of the most scenic landings in the world... again

Mar 21, 2019 8:58 am

Source: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/billy-...c-landing-2019

https://images.dailyhive.com/2019032...rial-Night.jpg

Toronto’s island airport is one of the most scenic in the world, according to a global poll.

The annual poll by Private Fly has voted Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport as the eighth most scenic airport landings, making the airport a top ten finalist for the fifth consecutive year.

Billy Bishop Airport was the only Canadian airport to be recognized alongside airports located in some of the world’s most scenic destinations, including Donegal Airport in Ireland, Queenstown Airport in New Zealand, and Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport in France.

Travellers from around the world cast votes to determine the top ten Most Scenic Airport Landings, according to the poll.

Being on the Toronto Islands, Billy Bishop passengers get to see a stunning view of Toronto’s skyline and harbour as they arrive and depart from the city.

full article: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/billy-...c-landing-2019

lubicon Mar 22, 2019 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blader (Post 8515290)
AC has 24 frames, WS has 13. Both have trained pilots to fly the frames. Both have the frames parked. Both have a surplus of pilots sitting at home. Is my logic flawed?

Edit:
Now it maybe that WS pilots can fly all 737 frames and thus the impact of MAX frames is shared, and thus has a smaller impact on pilots flying. Nonetheless, the impact on both airlines, financially, is another matter.

Correct. They can spread out the flying a little if they need to, Air Canada cannot.

but yeah, there is an effect on both carriers financially. I was wondering more about the pilot group at AC specifically however.

MountainView Mar 22, 2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8515048)
AC no longer has ETOPS (Extended operations) certified A319/A320s (mainline or Rouge). Nor are the pilots on these frames ETOPS certified.

Definition of ETOPS: (for twin-engine planes) flights whose planned routing contains a point farther than 60 minutes flying time from an adequate airport at an approved one-engine inoperative cruise speed under standard conditions in still air.

This creates a problem for 737 Max routes that required ETOPS. All the cancelled flights on your list require ETOPS to operate, and are either too thin to operate with a B767 (which is also ETOPS certified), or there aren't any spare left. This is the same reason why all the YVR-Secondary Hawaii routes were the first to be cancelled as well.

YUL/YYZ-KEF doesn't require ETOPS, as you can be within 60 minutes of a suitable airport on one engine speed during the whole flight.

(The AC 737 Max is certified 180 min ETOPS. The mainline A319s were only 120 min certified, and some mainline A320s were 75 min, for smoother Eastern Caribbean ops. YVR-Hawaii requires 180 minute ETOPS, whereas Europe only requires 120 min.)

Now, all these 180 min certified ETOPS 737 pilots are sitting at home, doing nothing, and getting paid.......

What a clusterf**k for AC. But I have to admit, they are dealing with it admirably.

Interesting! And thank you for the explanation.

Is this why Air Canada mainline (A320), YOW-PUJ flies close to the coast and YUL-PUJ on Rouge (767) flies "direct" to PUJ (20-30 minutes quicker)?

https://i.imgur.com/yRB75df.png

https://i.imgur.com/DotFgy2.png


If so, why does YUL-PTP (A320 mainline) fly direct and YOW-PUJ hug the coast?

https://i.imgur.com/zn7rx4F.png

Thanks for your insight!!

thenoflyzone Mar 23, 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainView (Post 8515636)
Interesting! And thank you for the explanation.

Is this why Air Canada mainline (A320), YOW-PUJ flies close to the coast and YUL-PUJ on Rouge (767) flies "direct" to PUJ (20-30 minutes quicker)?

If so, why does YUL-PTP (A320 mainline) fly direct and YOW-PUJ hug the coast?


Thanks for your insight!!

The A320 that operated that YUL-PTP flight has an HF radio on board, which is a requirement to transit the West Atlantic Route System (WATRS). The YOW-PUJ A320 didn't have one, so had to stay closer to shore in order to be within VHF radio coverage. All AC and Rouge 767s have HF.

Link to a map showing WATRS airspace:

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/AMC/MA...ceanalysis.pdf

thenoflyzone Mar 24, 2019 4:40 PM

UA canceling ORD-YOW as of June. A real head scratcher. No other carrier serves the market. Wonder if AC or AA will pick up the route. One would think ORD is a pretty important destination to have. Hopefully it's just a misfile. Even YQB has both AA and UA to ORD (only summer seasonal).

whywhyzee Mar 24, 2019 6:27 PM

I was looking into a HKG-YYZ trip and began searching Cathay Pacific, who have always run 2x daily in the summers to YYZ. Their website is only showing 1x daily as of the S19 season start (Winter is 10x weekly). I am hoping it's a glitch, it seems to be highly unlikely that they would cut the route that deeply, especially given it's size. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual confirmation of the status of the early flight they could pass along.

MountainView Mar 24, 2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8515973)
The A320 that operated that YUL-PTP flight has an HF radio on board, which is a requirement to transit the West Atlantic Route System (WATRS). The YOW-PUJ A320 didn't have one, so had to stay closer to shore in order to be within VHF radio coverage. All AC and Rouge 767s have HF.

Link to a map showing WATRS airspace:

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/AMC/MA...ceanalysis.pdf

Thanks for the link and the information! :cheers:

thenoflyzone Mar 25, 2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whywhyzee (Post 8516875)
I was looking into a HKG-YYZ trip and began searching Cathay Pacific, who have always run 2x daily in the summers to YYZ. Their website is only showing 1x daily as of the S19 season start (Winter is 10x weekly). I am hoping it's a glitch, it seems to be highly unlikely that they would cut the route that deeply, especially given it's size. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual confirmation of the status of the early flight they could pass along.

always? Not really. They went 2x daily in summer 2017. They were 10x weekly the summers before that.

Maybe explains why they want to close their YYZ crew base.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...abin-crew-base

yyzer Mar 25, 2019 12:21 PM

Just checking random flights in July on the Amadeus GDS, and CX are showing double daily again YYZ-HKG... don't panic.... :)

nname Mar 26, 2019 7:35 AM

Update for AC service to/from India...

Starting April 4th, AC43 will no longer operate DEL-YYZ, new schedule is

AC43 DEL-YVR with 1:45am arrival
AC1043 YVR-YYZ with 3:30am departure and 10:51am arrival

AC42 still run YYZ-DEL non-stop.

I guess YYZ-bound passengers will clear custom at YVR in the middle of the night? I wonder if each segments can be booked separately...

Arrival time at YYZ is pretty much the same with DEL-CPH-YYZ, but should be slightly better if it becomes domestic arrival?

thenoflyzone Mar 26, 2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 8518576)
Update for AC service to/from India...

Starting April 4th, AC43 will no longer operate DEL-YYZ, new schedule is

AC43 DEL-YVR with 1:45am arrival
AC1043 YVR-YYZ with 3:30am departure and 10:51am arrival

AC42 still run YYZ-DEL non-stop.

I guess YYZ-bound passengers will clear custom at YVR in the middle of the night? I wonder if each segments can be booked separately...

Arrival time at YYZ is pretty much the same with DEL-CPH-YYZ, but should be slightly better if it becomes domestic arrival?

You can't book each leg separately. It's a simple fuel stop. If AC was allowed to keep passengers on board and simply refuel, they probably would. However, you need to clear customs at your first airport of entry.

The stop has been changed to YVR, since AC now routes DEL-Canada flights eastbound out of DEL, over the Pacific. This is done mainly to avoid Pakistani airspace. When Pakistan opens its airspace for overflights, the fuel stop wont be required.

The eastbound routing (as opposed to northwestbound out of DEL), takes advantage of the tailwinds, even if distance wise, it's a longer route.

Jaws Mar 26, 2019 1:58 PM

Nexus rant
 
Connected through YUL on the weekend and the US CBP officer gave me a hard time with only traveling with Nexus. She said that it was a “requirement” that I also have my passport. From all my research including the US CBP’s own website, I know that this is not true, and I told her as much, which she didn’t like. She came back with some BS rebuttal about what happens if I lose the Nexus and I don’t have my passport with me? Well, what happens if I lose my passport and don’t have a Nexus card at all? I told her I’d contact a Canadian consulate and get a replacement and things would work themselves out. Round and round the discussion went and I included such topics as a six month stay in the US. Anyway, Nexus=passport as a fully recognized travel document between the US and Canada. And of course I (and my family) were admitted. It’s now my life’s mission to educated US CBP agents as to what Nexus is. If your own people don’t understand it, why offer it? Finally, if it was a requirement in the CBP agent’s mind that we needed passports, why were we admitted. I’ve never had an issue traveling with Nexus.

240glt Mar 26, 2019 2:09 PM

^ I have my Nexus and my understanding was that you still required your passport to travel to the US and I always bring that as well but a quick google shows that you need a passport OR a Nexus card.

I don't trust US CBP at all so I don't know if I'd ever trust not travelling with my passport. Does seem duplicitous though

esquire Mar 26, 2019 3:06 PM

I would never go with just a Nexus card. If you run into one obstinate officer, your travels can be derailed. I always take my passport with me, it just isn't worth the risk otherwise.

Rogie Mar 26, 2019 3:21 PM

^^You only need NEXUS for land and sea crossings. For air crossings, for whatever reason, you sill need your passport.

thenoflyzone Mar 26, 2019 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 8518735)
Connected through YUL on the weekend and the US CBP officer gave me a hard time with only traveling with Nexus. She said that it was a “requirement” that I also have my passport.

I flew YUL-FLL beginning of this month. She got on my nerves. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was the same girl.

Jaws Mar 26, 2019 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogie (Post 8518835)
^^You only need NEXUS for land and sea crossings. For air crossings, for whatever reason, you sill need your passport.

That is incorrect and I’ve researched this ad naseum. Nexus OR passport.

Jaws Mar 26, 2019 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8518839)
I flew YUL-FLL beginning of this month. She got on my nerves. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was the same girl.

Probably. She was as sarcastic as hell on top of it. And I never have problems with any customs people, ever.

craneSpotter Mar 26, 2019 10:40 PM

Top seaplane airline Harbour Air looking at switching to battery-powered aircraft

Ian Bailey - Vancouver - Mar 26, 2019 TGAM
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ered-aircraft/

Quote:

Seaplane operator Harbour Air, which regularly shuttles B.C.'s political class to and from Victoria, is looking to become the first all-electric fleet of commercial planes in Canada – but the company head says passengers have nothing to fear.

Greg McDougall, founder of the company that bills itself as North America’s largest seaplane airline, said Monday that “I’ll be the first guy to fly one. I’ll be the test pilot of it.” He was referring to an electric-powered prototype the company will test within months as a prelude to electrifying the fleet within about two years.

By November, the company is planning to be testing a de Havilland Canada DHC 2 Beaver, a six-passenger aircraft equipped with an all-electric motor developed by magniX, a company based in Redmond, Wash. MagniX has been crafting the technology on the ground, but has yet to operate it in an aircraft.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.