SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

FlyYOW Aug 3, 2018 8:24 PM

Phoenix area = major golfing destination. AC (Rouge) flies seasonal 763 daily (or double daily 32X) to PHX from YYZ.

SaskScraper Aug 3, 2018 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg (Post 8271561)
With passenger counts expected to double to 3.1 million per year in the next couple decades,
here's a look at SKYxe masterplan in the years to come;
new runway aprons, new long term parking lot to the South and terminal extention to the North side.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1838/...dbd2d6f7_o.png

In addition to providing over 8000 full-time jobs in Saskatoon, John G. Diefenbaker International Airport’s
contribution to the GDP of the Saskatoon area was over $1 billion in 2016.

If passenger counts doubling time at Saskatoon's SKYxe is about twenty years then 6.2 million passengers in 2060?
Just for fun, I mirror imaged using photoshop the north terminal expansion to the south side. :)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1771/...2decbecf_b.jpg

J81 Aug 3, 2018 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 8270115)

They've also changed their flight times so that Gander-bound passengers land at YYT after their connecting flight to Gander has already departed.

Thats how they justify a service reduction. If people cant make connections to Gander then they’ll find another way thus driving pax numbers down. Via Rail did the same thing in the 80s and 90s. Especially in Moncton where trains from all over the maritimes would arrive relatively at the same time so people could connect. They changed all the times on the trains which made it impossible to make a connection. Pax numbers dropped and the service went away. And that was government run!!

p_xavier Aug 3, 2018 10:24 PM

Formal update on Flair from Hamilton to Pearson

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...l-airport.html

thenoflyzone Aug 4, 2018 5:33 PM

Airline announces start of operations out of YHM. A short while later, same airline announces complete pull out. YHM at its best, ladies and gentlemen! Let's see how long Flair will last at YYZ, and how long swoop and Norwegian will last at YHM.

SaskOttaLoo Aug 4, 2018 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelTown (Post 8270127)
Swoop to launch transborder service in October to five tourist destinations

https://business.financialpost.com/p...t-destinations

Swoop will become Canada’s first ultra low cost airline to fly to the United States when it launches service this fall to five popular tourist destinations in Florida, Nevada and Arizona.

The subsidiary of WestJet Airlines Ltd. will start Oct. 11 with flights to Las Vegas from Abbotsford, B.C., and Edmonton, Alta., about four months after Swoop began to fly.

Service will be added over the following couple of weeks between Hamilton, Ont., and Las Vegas as well as to the Florida cities of Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa Bay. Flights between Edmonton and Phoenix will start Oct. 27.

Most destinations will be serviced a few times per week but daily service will be flown between Edmonton and Las Vegas.

The transborder service will be launched to these U.S. gateways as Swoop receives delivery of its fifth and sixth airplane, said Swoop president Steven Greenway.

“They really blend well to the model that we provide in terms of low cost, high volume type of leisure profile that we definitely are targeting,” he said in an interview.

Everyday one-way fares start as low as $149 including taxes and fees through April, however it will offer 4,100 seats at low promotional fares of $99 and $119 for travel booked online until Feb. 13.

https://www.flyswoop.com/images/route-map2.png


Good to already see expansion, but it would be so much better (for me) to see ULCC service to Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, St. John's, and other domestic cities! It's already so much cheaper to leave Canada than to fly within it...I've been hoping ULCCs will improve that situation. Any hope on the horizon do you think?

isaidso Aug 5, 2018 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo (Post 8272433)
Good to already see expansion, but it would be so much better (for me) to see ULCC service to Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, St. John's, and other domestic cities! It's already so much cheaper to leave Canada than to fly within it...I've been hoping ULCCs will improve that situation. Any hope on the horizon do you think?

It's my understanding that these vacation routes are the most suited to ULCCs. Swoop is starting with these but plans to roll out other routes later on. Does Montreal have a cheaper secondary airport besides Trudeau?

MTLskyline Aug 5, 2018 2:10 AM

There's St. Hubert Airport on the south shore. It's currently used by Pascan Aviation. The only problem is that it is missing a terminal. But it would be the logical choice.

The Quebec government granted $800K in its most recent budget for a project office for the terminal. https://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...-a-st-hubert-1

ACT7 Aug 7, 2018 1:42 AM

Saudia is ceasing YYZ operations as of August 13th because of the diplomatic row with Canada.

thenoflyzone Aug 7, 2018 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACT7 (Post 8274043)
Saudia is ceasing YYZ operations as of August 13th because of the diplomatic row with Canada.

Good. That POS country's airline should be banned from Canadian skies !

If only I could have Trudeau's job for one day!

J81 Aug 7, 2018 12:25 PM

It amuses me to see Airlines like Flair and Swoop come and do exactly what has always been done and make a big deal about it. There is no imagination in the Canadian airline industry. Everyones route map looks the same. For once it would be nice for someone to step forward with a plan to do something different. And i dont mean flying to Abbotsford instead of YVR or YHM instead of YYZ.

p_xavier Aug 7, 2018 1:06 PM

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...690233601.html

Also Flair Airlines just reached a deal with AIMIA too.

whatnext Aug 7, 2018 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8274077)
Good. That POS country's airline should be banned from Canadian skies !

If only I could have Trudeau's job for one day!

Who even knew Saudia flew to Canada.

Given the lickspittle way the UAE followed their Saudi masters by condemning Canada, revoking Emirates right to fly to Canada would be in order. We’ve always been a thorn in their side, the one country that wouldn’t throw their domestic carriers under the bus for the “privilege” of EK service.

Denscity Aug 7, 2018 2:56 PM

Wrong thread

kwoldtimer Aug 7, 2018 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8274398)
Who even knew Saudia flew to Canada.

Given the lickspittle way the UAE followed their Saudi masters by condemning Canada, revoking Emirates right to fly to Canada would be in order. We’ve always been a thorn in their side, the one country that wouldn’t throw their domestic carriers under the bus for the “privilege” of EK service.

One would like to think that Canada would demonstrate more sangfroid than that. Leave hysteria to the Arabs and the Latins!

wave46 Aug 7, 2018 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 8274464)
One would like to think that Canada would demonstrate more sangfroid than that. Leave hysteria to the Arabs and the Latins!

Indeed. A good way to look crazy is to irrationally respond to every provocation.

isaidso Aug 8, 2018 1:32 AM

The Saudis aren't doing much to dispel the perception that they're a backwards country ruled by a despot. That they become so unhinged/extreme when anyone dares question them cements how desperate it must be living in that hell hole.

Nouvellecosse Aug 15, 2018 12:55 AM

Quick question about the island airport YTZ. What do you think is the max annual passenger potential given the current rules pertaining to aircraft type and the current physical size (without the lake to add runways)? It's at about 2.8 million as of 2017, so could it theoretically say, double that?

thenoflyzone Aug 15, 2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse (Post 8281494)
Quick question about the island airport YTZ. What do you think is the max annual passenger potential given the current rules pertaining to aircraft type and the current physical size (without the lake to add runways)? It's at about 2.8 million as of 2017, so could it theoretically say, double that?

5 million passengers throught that tiny terminal building ? Ya right !

Nouvellecosse Aug 15, 2018 8:41 PM

Is the airport extremely congested now? Near or at capacity?


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.