SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Jul 15, 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5765905)
Random observation...what's the difference between San Diego's airport and Las Vegas' airport? Las Vegas has 500'+ buildings in closer proximity to the runway than San Diego does. What gives?

I think it has something to do with airplanes having to fly over downtown in case they can't land due to an emergency.

Derek Jul 16, 2012 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5766139)
I think it has something to do with airplanes having to fly over downtown in case they can't land due to an emergency.

Instead of flying over downtown, why wouldn't they just fly over Mission Hills instead?

LosAngelesDreamin Jul 16, 2012 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5766249)
Instead of flying over downtown, why wouldn't they just fly over Mission Hills instead?

i think cuz it would be faster landing the plane on the ocean by crossing over downtown and coronado rather than going over mission hills then over mission beach or point loma u know?

Derek Jul 16, 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesDreamin (Post 5766370)
i think cuz it would be faster landing the plane on the ocean by crossing over downtown and coronado rather than going over mission hills then over mission beach or point loma u know?

So what ocean do planes with emergencies land in if they experience a problem in Las Vegas? :P

LosAngelesDreamin Jul 17, 2012 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5767246)
So what ocean do planes with emergencies land in if they experience a problem in Las Vegas? :P

oh stop it you silly :)

202_Cyclist Jul 17, 2012 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5766249)
Instead of flying over downtown, why wouldn't they just fly over Mission Hills instead?

It probably has to do with the prevailing winds. This, as much as local topography, determines much of the arrival and departure paths for airports. There is probably also restricted airspace around Miramar that determines the approaches to/from Lindbergh. Flying over Mexican airspace would also possibly mean paying overflight fees to the Mexican government, something the airlines would seek to avoid.

dl3000 Jul 20, 2012 2:16 PM

^^ Plus the fact that Vegas is pretty flat with no military air bases as close to the airport as Miramar or North Island.

HurricaneHugo Jul 21, 2012 4:31 AM

I think the reason is that by default planes go to the left of the airport in the airport.

In San Diego's case that takes an airplane over downtown while in Vegas it isn't a problem.

HurricaneHugo Jul 23, 2012 5:51 AM

The lots for this project are now fenced off and hopefully it means construction begins soon since my neighborhood desperately needs it.

http://mvpi-architects.com/portfolio...reet-Mixed-Use

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...20_%20SEDC.jpg

HurricaneHugo Jul 24, 2012 3:41 AM

Went to the DT Bargain Market, not much of a bargain!

http://i.imgur.com/JJGOV.jpg

Flyer75 Jul 24, 2012 10:32 PM

HurricaneHugo Went to the DT Bargain Market, not much of a bargain!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5775281)
Went to the DT Bargain Market, not much of a bargain!

http://i.imgur.com/JJGOV.jpg

That's interesting. I've gone there twice and have found great buys. Especially, Tom's toothpaste and produce. There are great prices on wines also...

HurricaneHugo Jul 25, 2012 7:41 AM

5 roma tomatoes for a dollar when I can get 2 pounds at my local store?

4 bananas for a dollar. 90 cents for a tiny lettuce head. 3 peaches for a dollar.

Ridiculous.

The only thing me and my mom bought was a bag of potatoes and a digiorno pizza with cookies.

SDfan Jul 25, 2012 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5776766)
5 roma tomatoes for a dollar when I can get 2 pounds at my local store?

4 bananas for a dollar. 90 cents for a tiny lettuce head. 3 peaches for a dollar.

Ridiculous.

The only thing me and my mom bought was a bag of potatoes and a digiorno pizza with cookies.

I don't know, I found a few good items at prices that beat everything else downtown and in the environs. The produce isn't a wise purchase though, especially since its mostly all on its last leg, if you know what I mean.

SDfan Jul 25, 2012 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5774126)
The lots for this project are now fenced off and hopefully it means construction begins soon since my neighborhood desperately needs it.

http://mvpi-architects.com/portfolio...reet-Mixed-Use

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...20_%20SEDC.jpg

We need more of this in Golden Hill!

mello Jul 26, 2012 3:57 AM

That mixed use project in the Barrio looks incredible. I'm just wondering who is going to pay market rate rents to live there in this economy? If there were tons of decent jobs in San Diego for young people (under 33) then I could see them snapping up those units at market rate prices.... But sadly the youth are struggling big time here, so is this going to be "affordable housing"?

LosAngelesDreamin Jul 26, 2012 4:41 AM

Anybody know whats up with lighting up the coronado bay bridge??? i work on san diego bay and seeing the bridge at night is really boring =/ i get so uninterested and often doze off into other topics like "what am i gonna wear tomorrow" instead of just gazing at the bridge.

Derek Jul 26, 2012 4:45 AM

Weren't they supposed to light it years ago?

HurricaneHugo Jul 26, 2012 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5778070)
That mixed use project in the Barrio looks incredible. I'm just wondering who is going to pay market rate rents to live there in this economy? If there were tons of decent jobs in San Diego for young people (under 33) then I could see them snapping up those units at market rate prices.... But sadly the youth are struggling big time here, so is this going to be "affordable housing"?

Old people.

mello Jul 26, 2012 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5778167)
Old people.

Old people will want to pay $1700 dollars to rent a two bedroom apartment in Barrio Logan? Uh I don't think so Hugo ;)

Derek Jul 26, 2012 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 5778185)
Old people will want to pay $1700 dollars to rent a two bedroom apartment in Barrio Logan? Uh I don't think so Hugo ;)

Holy s***. That's how much 2 bedrooms are going for down there? :eek:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.