SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

phoenixwillrise Aug 24, 2014 12:57 AM

Extending Tempe Town Lake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6702764)
Didn't Phoenix propose something like Tempe town lake decades before Tempe completed their lake?

It's a shame it wasn't done years ago on a grander scale running all the way thru Phoenix and even an offshoot river running through downtown Phoenix like San Antonio's. Also a sand filter system that would make the water pure and dam near drinkable would be huge. The price would have been high but the payback would have been far greater. Unfortunately Phoenix just has never had visionary planners that could have made something like this a reality.

MegaBass Aug 24, 2014 8:50 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvaz4ZxCEAAe2-C.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvay2IUCEAIgFJg.jpg

GoDaddy Global Technology Center at the ASU Research Park set to open next month h/t ASU Business-Finance

PHXFlyer11 Aug 24, 2014 9:18 PM

I really wish GoDaddy would've ended up in Downtown Tempe.

I think Tempe should go after Taser, perhaps for HFL 3.

Jjs5056 Aug 25, 2014 6:47 PM

Yea, Tempe seems a bit too hellbent on expanding their business presence along Price, but it has two really great central business districts in downtown and Fountainhead, the latter which is becoming as mixed use and sustainable as a suburban business park can be retrofitted into. I think it's always a miss when something goes out to ASU Research Park, or that new Discovery Park across Elliott.

Arquitect pretty much summed up the difficulties with expanding the lake. Plans for turning the western portion into parks and the like have always been discussed and seemed to have gone nowhere - again, probably due to the neighborhoods these parks would serve. Why invest in a linear park running through abandoned industrial areas?

Leo - the original plan was called the Rio Salado Project, designed by ASU students in the... 70s?... and would've run from Mesa through Phoenix; Tempe was the only city to approve the vision, thus setting the stage for the Town Lake.

nickw252 Aug 25, 2014 10:24 PM

Obscure, Chinese-backed developer eyes $1.2B project on banks of Tempe Town Lake

Quote:

The city of Tempe is poised to sell 11 acres of land on Tempe Town Lake to a developer who claims financial backing from Chinese and commodities-trading interests. The plan? A $1.2 billion, 2 million-square foot development on the parcels.

Tempe is preparing to sell the lakeside parcels to Scottsdale-based TrendEx Holdings LLC for $17.6 million.

The project would include offices, condominiums, retail and a hotel on what be one of the largest in developments in the state — if it ever comes to fruition.

The land sits north Rio Salado Parkway and in between Rural Road and McClintock Drive.

The Tempe City Council took a step forward with the sale at its August meeting and has another public hearing scheduled for Sept. 4. There was no debate or discussion on the land sale at the Tempe council’s August meeting and the sale measure moved forward via a unanimous vote. TrendEx will still have to consummate the land purchase after city approval, and there is little known locally about the developer.

The land is part of the Pier 202 area of Tempe, which has seen development plans famously come and go over the years.

TrendEx was the only developer to submit plans after the city issued a requests for proposals last year.

Arizona Corporation Commission filings show TrendEx with a Scottsdale address and Robert Swagger as its corporate manager.

Swagger was also president and CEO of a company called The Trend Exchange Inc., according to ACC filings. The Trend Exchange is a sister firm to a company called Media Derivatives. That company once sought to sell futures contracts based on expected movie box office revenues.

Swagger is also listed in the corporate filings of several other businesses in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley, including Veriana Ventures. Sean Bonini, a principal for Scottsdale-based Signature Real Estate LLC, is also part of the TrendEx effort. Bonini said he was meeting with other partners this week and they would be able to talk more of their plans soon.

In an Aug. 20 release, TrendEx said it was partnering with China International Development Investment Corporation Limited (CIDIC) and other partners.

“We are excited to be doing business with our Arizona partners and look forward to deploying substantial resources for a signature development in the dynamic Tempe market,” said Alan Tay, CIDIC North America CEO in the release.

The Hong Kong company also does commodities trading and has been involved in a number of construction projects in China. CIDIC officials did not respond to e-mails seeking comment.

There has been significant Chinese real estate investment in the U.S. of late, but most of that has gone to larger or coastal U.S. markets such as San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle — not Phoenix.

Phoenix land-use attorney John Berry is also quoted in the TrendEx release.

“I have had the opportunity to work closely with the principals of this project and am pleased with the positive results the proposed project will have for not only the Tempe community but for the state of Arizona at large,” said Berry, the founding partner of Berry Riddell and Rosensteel LLC.

Berry also did not respond to telephone calls seeking comment.

The TrendEX development is just east of the $600 million Marina Heights project being built by Ryan Cos. and Sunbelt Holdings for a State Farm Insurance regional operations hub.

There’s also a planned new 159-room Marriott AC Hotel proposed by Woodbine Development Corp. on a Hayden Ferry Lakeside parcel north of Rio Salado and east of Mill Avenue. The Tempe council is looking at property tax breaks for that project. There are also apartment complexes and other potential real estate development in the area near Arizona State University’s main campus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

If something of this scale actually is built, they're going to need to extend the streetcar along Rio Salado.

Also, what will traffic be like on the 202 once State Farm is done?

Jjs5056 Aug 25, 2014 10:49 PM

Yea, makes the Apache piece of the line seem more and more unnecessary. At this point, though, they just need to get the funding and put the shovel to the ground; we're creeping up on the originally-intended launch date.

Neither this article nor the lack of press from Tempe seem too confident in the development happening. But, regardless of size, it would be the most important development to come to the Phoenix metro by far.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 25, 2014 11:01 PM

That was part of my concern. This TrendEx doesn't even have a web site. Nobody knows anything about this "company".

I hope Tempe did some extra homework here.

nickw252 Aug 26, 2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6704971)
That was part of my concern. This TrendEx doesn't even have a web site. Nobody knows anything about this "company".

I hope Tempe did some extra homework here.

Those two facts don't mean much. Projects like this are often done by business partnerships and/or newly created entities for tax and liability reasons.

A newly created entity isn't going to have a website or a reputation immediately.

That being said, I'm still skeptical about such an ambitious project of this scale.

Jjs5056 Aug 26, 2014 3:17 AM

Well, if they RFPd it, and only received 1 response... they had to have felt it was better than more 4-story apartment proposals.

That land has been the source of proposals since the 90s, IIRC, with a Peabody Hotel planned originally. It'd be great to see it developed finally and now seems to be the time. Though, the north side seems to have stalled a bit which is a shame.

Tempe_Duck Aug 26, 2014 5:15 AM

Anyone know why Big Bang is closing?

https://www.facebook.com/bangthis/po...542363?fref=nf

MegaBass Aug 26, 2014 6:02 AM

Devils on College: A new pre-game tradition

Quote:

This fall, Arizona State University will be rolling out an exciting new tradition before all home football games. The new Devils on College pre-game event will begin three hours prior to kickoff, and will encompass the plaza area around the recently constructed College Avenue Commons building.

Devils on College will include food trucks, cooling stations, music and family games and entertainment. The Sun Devil Marketplace will have items for sale in the plaza, and local vendors will be open for business.

The event will end 30 minutes prior to kickoff to allow fans enough time to get to Sun Devil Stadium. College Avenue will be closed between 6th and 7th Streets beginning four hours prior to kickoff, and will re-open shortly after kickoff.

Later in the fall, Postino Wine Cafe and breakfast eatery Snooze will also be joining the action on College Avenue.

MegaBass Aug 26, 2014 6:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck (Post 6705367)
Anyone know why Big Bang is closing?

https://www.facebook.com/bangthis/po...542363?fref=nf

Downtown Tempe piano bar to play its last note

Quote:

In a Saturday Facebook post, the Big Bang, a dueling piano bar occupying a basement location at Fifth Street and Mill Avenue, announced it would play its last note on Sept. 6.

The bar did not reveal why it was closing, though it is possible it could be a financial decision -- the building that houses it has an unusually high turnover for an area frequented by college students. The ground floor has been occupied by multiple businesses over the past 10 years, including McDonald's and The Library, a breastaurant similar to the Tempe-based Tilted Kilt. The building's third story has also played host to a number of businesses.

The Big Bang said it is still accepting reservations for its last two weekends and has "a lot of awesome things happening" to mark the bar's closing.

The bar, part of a small chain based in Tennessee, opened its doors in 2003. The chain's original location, St. Louis, is scheduled to close Sept. 8. Other Big Bangs are located in Nashville and Columbus, Ohio. Another location is scheduled to open in Cleveland in 2015, according to the bar's website.

Obadno Aug 26, 2014 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaBass (Post 6705402)

Well that is too bad Ive allways like that the Big Bang is an original sort of concept instead of the cookie cutter bars that dominate most entertainment areas.

I cant believe they arent making money so it most be a decision for the overall company. :(

PHXFlyer11 Aug 26, 2014 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6705704)
Well that is too bad Ive allways like that the Big Bang is an original sort of concept instead of the cookie cutter bars that dominate most entertainment areas.

I cant believe they arent making money so it most be a decision for the overall company. :(

Very strange they would do this right before the busy season.

ASU Diablo Aug 26, 2014 7:58 PM

There was an article up on www.azbex.com about the new development proposal which included some additional info not published before but it seems like it was taken down?

Anyways, the article stated the highest building at 20 stories and the hotel at 18. Hopefully the article is re-published again

Thanks nickw252!!

nickw252 Aug 26, 2014 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 6706225)
There was an article up on www.azbex.com about the new development proposal which included some additional info not published before but it seems like it was taken down?

Anyways, the article stated the highest building at 20 stories and the hotel at 18. Hopefully the article is re-published again

http://azbex.com/tempe-lakefront-to-...novice-bidder/

Arquitect Aug 26, 2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6706231)

I'm a bit hesitant about how "real" this might be. Although, it would be an incredible addition if it were to happen.

On a bit of unrelated news, it looks like Tempe just passed Tucson in number of posts on this forum. I mention this not because of the rivalry between the universities in each city, but rather because it shows how incredibly smart Tempe has been in the past couple decades. It is pretty incredible how Tempe keeps bringing in large developments and creating an urban hub that cities much larger than them wish they had. Being land locked is pretty much the best thing that could have happened to this city, since it has forced planners and city officials to deal with what they have rather than just keep expanding.

rocksteady Aug 26, 2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

I've always been puzzled why this corner has had such high turnover throughout the years. It's a prime location and great building that never seems to land anything that sticks.

MegaBass Aug 27, 2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocksteady (Post 6706565)
I've always been puzzled why this corner has had such high turnover throughout the years. It's a prime location and great building that never seems to land anything that sticks.

Shame the only constant so far at faux-Laird and Dines Building is Hooters...

MissingAZ Aug 27, 2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Was bummed to read this but I've seen it coming. When I was in college back in 2009 this placed was always so crammed you had to wait in line, pay a cover and stand shoulder to shoulder even on the upper floor. Last couple years when I've gone back it always felt half full. For whatever reason the current crop of students just don't want to go there. You'd think with constant turnover of students the concept would remain novel to newly 21 year olds but I guess the newer bars are that much more attractive.

Ted Lyons Aug 27, 2014 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6706451)
I'm a bit hesitant about how "real" this might be. Although, it would be an incredible addition if it were to happen.

On a bit of unrelated news, it looks like Tempe just passed Tucson in number of posts on this forum. I mention this not because of the rivalry between the universities in each city, but rather because it shows how incredibly smart Tempe has been in the past couple decades. It is pretty incredible how Tempe keeps bringing in large developments and creating an urban hub that cities much larger than them wish they had. Being land locked is pretty much the best thing that could have happened to this city, since it has forced planners and city officials to deal with what they have rather than just keep expanding.

I'd like to think our Tucson thread might have some more discussion without the onslaught of delusions from a few posters. Nevertheless, Tempe has been a model of success for Arizona. I find myself checking this thread more than the Phoenix thread.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 27, 2014 3:31 PM

Interesting thought posted on the PHX Business Journal article in the comments. It is really just speculation, but someone commented that Alibaba is looking for sites in the US and could Anchor the Pier 202 development.

If this is the case this would be tremendous! Tempe has been unusually quiet on this. However, this may not be a bad thing. I thought it was interesting that according to an article, there was no discussion or debate, the vote just took place on the sale.

There must be some big vote of confidence behind this that they are not yet willing to announce.

MegaBass Aug 27, 2014 6:39 PM

New location for Food Truck Block Party on Wednesday (north of College Avenue Commons). I wonder if it'll have similar setup ala Phoenix Public Market.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwED33VIAAALOsW.jpg

h/t Satay Hut

Dancin' Don Aug 28, 2014 3:37 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...-asu/14711827/

New Tempe hotel reflects the spirit of ASU

Laurie Merrill, The Republic | azcentral.com 8:04 p.m. MST August 27, 2014

Developers of Tempe's newest boutique hotel want to pick up the spirit of the city and nearby Arizona State University in their decor.

Optimistic. Intellectual. Science-inspired.

The Graduate Tempe hotel, the Normal diner and Tapacubo Mexican eatery are rising from the gutted hulks of the former Twin Palms Hotel and IHOP restaurant that for decades occupied the site across from the campus, near ASU Gammage.

The hotel is scheduled to open Sept. 23.

If it sounds more like a college than a lodge, that may be because the 141-room hotel has partnered with ASU's School of Life Sciences Social Insect Research Department and the ASU Art Department for decorations.

Guests will see a front desk created from a digital print of Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species," an enormous ant farm in the lobby and Native American art work, said Christian Strobel, Graduate Hotels president.

"At Graduate, we are looking to create an experience where you wake up feeling the vibrancy and energy of the town you are staying in," Strobel said. "Our goal is to capture Tempe's unique spirit throughout the hotel."

Graduate Tempe is one of at least seven Graduate hotels that AJ Capital Partners plans to open in the next year, all in college cities, Strobel said.

Graduate Tempe will be the first to open and will do so in time to capture some of the business the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium will bring next year.

The partnership paid about $5.88 million for the Twin Palms Hotel, which shut its doors in May, according to published reports.

Room rates will average about $159 a night, Strobel said.

"This particular location is plagued by under-investment," Strobel said of the site.

Hotel General Manager Jeremy Dougherty said the location is ideal for capitalizing on the influx of new businesses in the area as well as ASU's visiting alumni, parents and educators.

USA Basketball is moving to University Drive and Mill Avenue, and the Marina Heights project, anchored by an 18-story local State Farm insurance company headquarters, is under construction at Tempe Town Lake.

"We want people to say, 'This is really different, this is really cool,'" Dougherty said.

The hotel has views of nearly every mountain range in the area.

It will have an outdoor space conducive to tailgating and a 90-inch TV by the pool.

The idea is for the hotel to appeal to the traveler who now does business in Tempe or Chandler but spends the evenings in Scottsdale or elsewhere.

Developers also want the hotel and its restaurants to be a gathering place for the community, a place that feels wide open and inviting, where people can sit down at the diner counter or grab a quick cup of coffee on the run.

The hotel will feature the Normal, a "diner-chic" restaurant that will serve breakfast all day in addition to salads, sandwiches, shakes and La Colombe coffee, Strobel said.

It also will house a new Mexican restaurant called Tapacubo, which means hubcap. Strobel described it as a street-food outpost. The bar is made using 38,000 Mexican pesos, he said.

The coffee shop will have a window where people walking, biking or skating by can stop and get a cup.

"We want to be (the) hub for the community to come and meet," Strobel said.

Obadno Aug 29, 2014 5:39 PM

Looks like Big Bang didnt close, they sold to a new company:

http://ktar.com/22/1762192/New-owner...empe-piano-bar

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

DevilsRider Aug 29, 2014 8:23 PM

Could just be coincidence/a common name, but I wonder if this is this the same Andrew Walter who used to QB at ASU and just ran for congress...if so, I love that he is investing in the community he went to college in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6710879)

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

Freeway Aug 31, 2014 4:34 AM

USA Basketball Project Canceled?

Drove by the supposed site of the future USA Basketball complex today to see what progress is being made, seeing as construction was planned to begin in early Spring. There has been no progress made besides shuttering Chili's. Even that's still standing.

Is the project canceled or no?

phxSUNSfan Aug 31, 2014 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeway (Post 6712209)
Is the project canceled or no?

USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.

MegaBass Aug 31, 2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6712261)
USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.

Plus, isn't Sacks still open till December/January?

Jjs5056 Sep 1, 2014 12:12 AM

Some news, at least for me:

1) The Tempe Municipal Garage should be gaining another tenant soon alongside Yoga to the People; Erbert and Gerbert Sandwich Shop is set to open September 11th.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

This might fill out the retail space within the garage as there didn't seem to be much room leftover next to Yoga to the People. Perfect timing with the Brewery opening over at the Transit Center - a healthy mix of retail in that area is needed to keep each alive. Now, for the Residence Inn to get an anchor tenant...

Meanwhile, Apache Corridor keeps trucking along with:
2) The Terraces: 1325 S. Terrace Rd; 110' - Under preliminary site plan review.
3) EASTLINE [PHASE I + II]: 2001 E. Apache Blvd.; 75' - Under preliminary site plan review.

ciweiss Sep 2, 2014 2:03 AM

Some pics of Skywater.

http://www.weknowurban.com/Tempe/Skywater-at-Town-Lake/

MegaBass Sep 4, 2014 4:00 AM

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/0827-c...ommons-044.jpg

https://asunews.asu.edu/files/0827-c...ommons-081.jpg

Commons provides new home for ASU construction programs, Sun Devil Welcome Center

phoenixwillrise Sep 4, 2014 4:06 AM

Is this Skywater or Argo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciweiss (Post 6713473)

Confused is some other project or Argo?

MegaBass Sep 4, 2014 4:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 6716228)
Confused is some other project or Argo?

Argo is now known as SkyWater.

Spitfiredude Sep 5, 2014 9:15 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ther/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.

PHXFlyer11 Sep 5, 2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6717919)
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ther/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.

This sounds like a positive update. Also looks like the plans were revised, due to new financing allowing for a single phase built. The event space was next to the Omni tower, now it is at the south most edge.

On the negative front, I noticed 230 W. 5th was pulled from the next DRC agenda. Not good.

Also, the Council was supposed to vote last night on an aspect of the pier 202 development. Anybody hear anything?

azsunsurfer Sep 5, 2014 2:40 PM

It's not always a bad thing if they pull their proposal off the agenda. Some times they need more time to work on logistics such as traffic reports, geo surveys, etc. Some times it also means that they intend to resubmit a revised design. Who knows, maybe they've decided to downscale the proposal?

MegaBass Sep 6, 2014 1:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6710879)

New Music Venue/Bar RCK CTY to Take the Big Bang's Spot in Tempe

PHXFlyer11 Sep 6, 2014 7:02 PM

Projects you want next

With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car

phoenixwillrise Sep 7, 2014 11:29 PM

Marina Heights

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6719609)
With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car

Speaking of Marina Heights the rebar they use on that project ,looking at it from the construction camera, sure looks very minimal. I get it that it is to code but they better hope they never have a serious earthquake in Phoenix or that thing is coming down like a stack of cards and for that matter any concrete building that is built to the same code. Then again it's no where near as bad as I have seen in Fiji ,in my water filter trips there, where it looks like they are using coat hangers for rebar.

Arquitect Sep 8, 2014 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 6720615)
Speaking of Marina Heights the rebar they use on that project ,looking at it from the construction camera, sure looks very minimal. I get it that it is to code but they better hope they never have a serious earthquake in Phoenix or that thing is coming down like a stack of cards and for that matter any concrete building that is built to the same code. Then again it's no where near as bad as I have seen in Fiji ,in my water filter trips there, where it looks like they are using coat hangers for rebar.

Most of the load is carried by an over-engineered system of post-tension cables in the slab. A 8.0 earthquake could hit Tempe, and the building would still be standing up.

Jjs5056 Sep 8, 2014 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6719609)

The hotel is AC by Marriott; I'd like to see 1) whether HFL is truly mixed use, as recent articles have expressed, 2) see the Chinese deal go through and make its way through permitting in a way that makes a groundbreaking next year seem realistic - could turn Tempe into a World class city overnight, 3) whether the lot at Ash/University will build and whether they're truly topping out under 100' - the fact that no market rate residential towers exist downtown (W6 is a glorified VUE) is a problem with the amount of business/commercial coming on board... wasted opportunity to capture a huge market share and turn them into loyal Tempe residents.

I'd be excited by the AC Marriott but hate that its turning its back completely on Rio, like the entire HFL development. I know it's tricky to figure out how to address both the lake and street, but that's what designers and developers get paid to do - make solutions out of challenges. I've never been inside the HFL grounds, and likely never will, as there is nothing inviting about the way it presents itself to the street and Mill pedestrians. I hope MH is more successful, otherwise a streetcar is almost a waste all around given the inward, garage-focused nature of the projects.

Lastly, I'd like to see the small project on the north shore get built; "town lake residential" was the name, and it was 5-6 stories due to the power lines, but it was a great example of how creative developers can get with their sites and I appreciate the thought that went into the design, with live/work and retail fronting the Marina with the goal of attracting related business. It's also a horribly complicated piece of land and if this doesn't pan out, it'll definitely be a while before we see another proposal. The whole north shore in general, has been slow to pick up any momentum, which is a shame.

phoenixwillrise Sep 8, 2014 5:15 PM

Marina Heights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6720734)
Most of the load is carried by an over-engineered system of post-tension cables in the slab. A 8.0 earthquake could hit Tempe, and the building would still be standing up.

good to know.

Obadno Sep 8, 2014 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 6721357)
good to know.

Earthquake in Phoenix:haha::haha:

PHXFlyer11 Sep 8, 2014 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6720990)
The hotel is AC by Marriott; I'd like to see 1) whether HFL is truly mixed use, as recent articles have expressed, 2) see the Chinese deal go through and make its way through permitting in a way that makes a groundbreaking next year seem realistic - could turn Tempe into a World class city overnight, 3) whether the lot at Ash/University will build and whether they're truly topping out under 100' - the fact that no market rate residential towers exist downtown (W6 is a glorified VUE) is a problem with the amount of business/commercial coming on board... wasted opportunity to capture a huge market share and turn them into loyal Tempe residents.

I'd be excited by the AC Marriott but hate that its turning its back completely on Rio, like the entire HFL development. I know it's tricky to figure out how to address both the lake and street, but that's what designers and developers get paid to do - make solutions out of challenges. I've never been inside the HFL grounds, and likely never will, as there is nothing inviting about the way it presents itself to the street and Mill pedestrians. I hope MH is more successful, otherwise a streetcar is almost a waste all around given the inward, garage-focused nature of the projects.

Lastly, I'd like to see the small project on the north shore get built; "town lake residential" was the name, and it was 5-6 stories due to the power lines, but it was a great example of how creative developers can get with their sites and I appreciate the thought that went into the design, with live/work and retail fronting the Marina with the goal of attracting related business. It's also a horribly complicated piece of land and if this doesn't pan out, it'll definitely be a while before we see another proposal. The whole north shore in general, has been slow to pick up any momentum, which is a shame.

I am still having trouble getting my head around the Pier 202 development. The press release makes it sounds massive, but one 20-story and one 18-story building doesn't sound so massive to me, like a game changer. Don't get me wrong, it'd be wonderful, but I don't know if it's World Class or along the lines of the other financial hubs that were referenced in the article.

I think Rio has struggled with retail because of A Mountain on the other side of the street. It really creates a dead zone and quite a walk from Mill. I think most people avoid walking that way, and development can really only occur on the North Side of Rio. I would like to see in the future some sort of development in lot 59 across from Marina Heights. I'm not sure if ASU is willing to trade the tailgating spaces though.

Good point on the north side development, that would be a great project as well that puts some pressure on the holdouts with the horse property, which could be developed into something taller, although I believe it'd be severely limited by the flight path in that location, so I'm not sure it could go above 8 stories or so.

rocksteady Sep 8, 2014 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6721366)
Earthquake in Phoenix:haha::haha:

The folks in Oklahoma probably once laughed like you did. Never underestimate mother nature and where she can strike.

Jjs5056 Sep 8, 2014 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6721403)
I am still having trouble getting my head around the Pier 202 development. The press release makes it sounds massive, but one 20-story and one 18-story building doesn't sound so massive to me, like a game changer. Don't get me wrong, it'd be wonderful, but I don't know if it's World Class or along the lines of the other financial hubs that were referenced in the article.

I think Rio has struggled with retail because of A Mountain on the other side of the street. It really creates a dead zone and quite a walk from Mill. I think most people avoid walking that way, and development can really only occur on the North Side of Rio. I would like to see in the future some sort of development in lot 59 across from Marina Heights. I'm not sure if ASU is willing to trade the tailgating spaces though.

Good point on the north side development, that would be a great project as well that puts some pressure on the holdouts with the horse property, which could be developed into something taller, although I believe it'd be severely limited by the flight path in that location, so I'm not sure it could go above 8 stories or so.

I believe the 18 and 20-story buildings are just phase I of the project (a HQ and residential, correct?); there would eventually be more trade buildings, residential, hotel, etc. I don't understand the whole thing, either, but it sounds like a much larger project and by World Class, I mean... making more it more than a college town. Phoenix has completely flatlined in terms of bringing in new investment downtown when it comes to jobs. It put all its eggs in the biomedical bucket that has generated far less economically than originally imagined.

I think A mountain is kind of a cop-out for excusing the lack of activity along Rio Salado. HFL should've served as a Gateway between Mill and the waterfront and right now, it's more of a wall. Again, I have never walked to the waterfront - that shouldn't be the case. I should be lured to the edge of downtown to experience the city's focal point through retail and restaurant uses. Lining the street is probably not feasible, but the corner could have certainly been designed as a much more inviting entrance. If the Mill gets developed eventually, there will be little space between the Mill Ave activity and the current south lot 59 lots - in other words, the mountain isn't as large of a deterrent when you think of the Mill and Lot 59 South being built out. They're also investing in a streetcar along this corridor... if all development is inward-facing, it isn't going to be very sucessful.

For the hotel, even something as simple as a lobby that stretched from N-S with the main entrance/dropoff being inside HFL and a nice pedestrian entrance on Rio would've been just fine. But, purely throwing back-of-house elements is a shame, especially adjacent to that heinous garage.

On the north side, I believe the lot I am talking about is the horseback riding property. Here is a link to the image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J8ipIaZtwj...cinity+map.png

The property that has long been stalled is the one that actually fronts Rural. That parcel could handle large towers, but has seen little movement.

Jjs5056 Sep 8, 2014 8:29 PM

I forgot to mention that I also hope to see The Lofts at Hayden Ferry developed between Marina Heights and HFL; yes, it's way too short for the space, but a luxury rental component would be a big win for this stretch. It's also another one of those properties where I can't imagine a project being built if this falls through being sandwiched between the two mega-projects.

mdpx Sep 8, 2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocksteady (Post 6721434)
The folks in Oklahoma probably once laughed like you did. Never underestimate mother nature and where she can strike.

Mother Nature has nothing to do with the earthquakes in Oklahoma. It's Corporate Nature and fraking that is causing it. All mother nature can do is react to it.

rocksteady Sep 8, 2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdpx (Post 6721865)
Mother Nature has nothing to do with the earthquakes in Oklahoma. It's Corporate Nature and fraking that is causing it. All mother nature can do is react to it.

Okay, Washington DC would have been a better example.