SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   AUSTIN | Economic Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241451)

urbancore Jan 13, 2020 10:17 PM

AUSTIN | Economic Development

Heard a rumor to expect a BIG announcement this year (sooner than later) from a major employer. I know more, but can’t say.

If it goes down, needless to say, Austin skyline will never be the same (I know).....again. Hoping on hope.

N90 Jan 13, 2020 10:22 PM

I understand if you can't tell us specifics but could you answer this one question:

Will they be proposing a completely new building that we've never seen or heard of before OR are they going to be taking up office space in a proposal that we're already familiar with? (e.g. the Republic, 6XG, etc)

The answer to this question will determine the excitement level to this impending announcement.

urbancore Jan 13, 2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 8798386)
I understand if you can't tell us specifics but could you answer this one question:

Will they be proposing a completely new building that we've never seen or heard of before OR are they going to be taking up office space in a proposal that we're already familiar with? (e.g. the Republic, 6XG, etc)

The answer to this question will determine the excitement level to this impending announcement.

I have no idea.....i wish i knew honestly. I'll update as I know more.

I'm just excited to add more jobs......as an 80's rural-recession era kid.....to me, jobs are everything. From what I understand, this will add a significant number of additional previously-unannounced jobs. That's all I can share for now....also.....it's just a rumor. I can't stand behind it yet.

My best guess is that, if the rumor is true, it could easily soak up what's in our dev pipeline for commercial....like all of it.

paul78701 Jan 13, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbancore (Post 8798396)
I have no idea.....i wish i knew honestly. I'll update as I know more.

I'm just excited to add more jobs......as an 80's rural-recession era kid.....to me, jobs are everything. From what I understand, this will add a significant number of additional previously-unannounced jobs. That's all I can share for now....also.....it's just a rumor. I can't stand behind it yet.

My best guess is that, if the rumor is true, it could easily soak up what's in our dev pipeline for commercial....like all of it.

Hmm.. You're most likely talking about a tech company. Right?

I'm now wondering if Amazon will decide to do a second HQ2 location after all and just use ATX en lieu of NYC. I can't think of another potential company making an announcement that "BIG".

urbancore Jan 13, 2020 10:55 PM

Jobs Jobs Jobs Jobs Jobs

I've started this thread with permission of the mods to keep track of announced jobs headed to Austin in the urban core, metro and combined.

Just a simple:

announcement date, employer name, #of expected new hires, date of hiring completion, link (proof)

I believe employment numbers are the #1 indicator of a healthy market which in turn translates to more skyscapers (the reason we all check this site...incessantly). I can look to the "announced" buildings with a bit more clarity if I have an idea of how many more jobs we still have to fill based on the announced numbers of 1-5 years ago.

The ATX Jan 13, 2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul78701 (Post 8798405)
Hmm.. You're most likely talking about a tech company. Right?

I'm now wondering if Amazon will decide to do a second HQ2 location after all and just use ATX en lieu of NYC. I can't think of another potential company making an announcement that "BIG".

I doubt that it's Amazon. Nashville seems to be picking up steam as a potential 2nd HQ2 (aka HQ3.)

We vs us Jan 13, 2020 11:34 PM

Salesforce?

Austin1971 Jan 13, 2020 11:35 PM

W

Echostatic Jan 13, 2020 11:41 PM

I'd say Salesforce, or whatever Amazon has been planning since they announced the 5k-job expansion for Austin after HQ2 went to DC.

N90 Jan 13, 2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echostatic (Post 8798456)
I'd say Salesforce, or whatever Amazon has been planning since they announced the 5k-job expansion for Austin after HQ2 went to DC.

Did they really? I thought it was Nashville that was getting the 5k jobs from Amazon?

clubtokyo Jan 13, 2020 11:51 PM

I like the sound of jobs and another corporate tower :)

paul78701 Jan 13, 2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 8798461)
Did they really? I thought it was Nashville that was getting the 5k jobs from Amazon?

Nashville got 5k to go along with the initial announcement of DC and NYC as the HQ2 winners. Amazon clearly saw something in Nashville, but it is not a well known tech hot spot. If Amazon were to decide to revive the idea of a second HQ2 location, I highly doubt Nashville would get the nod.

After the HQ2 rat race, they've been announcing jobs in Austin and elsewhere, but nothing along the lines of 5k that I'm aware of.

Tyrone Shoes Jan 14, 2020 12:22 AM

I know who it is...

I know it's Delta and they're gonna focus...no wait wrong forum...sorry:runaway:

BnaBreaker Jan 14, 2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul78701 (Post 8798473)
Nashville got 5k to go along with the initial announcement of DC and NYC as the HQ2 winners. Amazon clearly saw something in Nashville, but it is not a well known tech hot spot. If Amazon were to decide to revive the idea of a second HQ2 location, I highly doubt Nashville would get the nod.

After the HQ2 rat race, they've been announcing jobs in Austin and elsewhere, but nothing along the lines of 5k that I'm aware of.

Nothing concrete announced yet, but it has been heavily rumoured around town in Nashville that Amazon is going to add, at the very least, another 5k jobs to the city on top of the initial 5k that was announced. Their highrise campus is under construction as we speak, so we will probably know soon enough whether or not that is indeed the case if they start adding significant square footage to the buildings. We will see!

Austin1971 Jan 14, 2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnabreaker (Post 8798533)
nothing concrete announced yet, but it has been heavily rumoured around town in nashville that amazon is going to add, at the very least, another 5k jobs to the city on top of the initial 5k that was announced. Their highrise campus is under construction as we speak, so we will probably know soon enough whether or not that is indeed the case if they start adding significant square footage to the buildings. We will see!

i

Jdawgboy Jan 14, 2020 1:09 AM

Okay time to place bets people!

I throw down a dollar that Delta will move its Corporate Headquarters from Atlanta to Austin!!!

::
(Slams above said dollar on table and looks around)::

:rolleyes::shhh:

Any takers.....?

NOT

freerover Jan 14, 2020 1:26 AM

I think the Pope is opening up Vatican2 on the statesman site.

chinchaaa Jan 14, 2020 2:58 AM

Salesforce 100%. They’re hiring a lot right now, and they have some very well-known towers already.

Austin1971 Jan 14, 2020 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinchaaa (Post 8798632)
salesforce 100%. They’re hiring a lot right now, and they have some very well-known towers already.

m

N90 Jan 14, 2020 4:51 AM

https://sportsfinding.com/bbva-will-...another/10047/