SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

Zapatan Sep 7, 2013 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6257794)
I wouldn't be pessimistic, either way something good is going to happen. Shit, even if they decide to make it 1,250ft, lets not complain. Even 1000, still amazing. Whatever is economically viable will get built. Unlike China, we build on demand and efficiency, not height and title. It will be a jewel nevertheless.

Yea definitely true, a 1250 foot building with a good design is nothing to complain about.

Knowing that there could have been a 500 meter building in NYC was just crazy exciting though, although I always had my doubts.

At least 432 park avenue broke the roof height of 1WTC, we are heading in the right direction.

antinimby Sep 7, 2013 3:54 AM

From what that guy said about it being similar to the Equinox tower and Chicago Trump Tower, I think I know what it'll look like.

Did someone ask him if the roof will be flat or pointy?

fastdupree Sep 8, 2013 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6258040)
Yea definitely true, a 1250 foot building with a good design is nothing to complain about.

Knowing that there could have been a 500 meter building in NYC was just crazy exciting though, although I always had my doubts.

At least 432 park avenue broke the roof height of 1WTC, we are heading in the right direction.

Yeah! I feel the same about it. Now I can put my attention to 432 Park 100%. It is the most exciting thing going on in NY right now!

ILNY Sep 8, 2013 4:34 AM

The old building is gone.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5490/9...299a693a_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/9...72613c4a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7305/9...7146d1a9_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2856/9...f40632d7_b.jpg

King DenCity Sep 9, 2013 6:08 PM

I hope the truth will be revealed soon. :|

Zapatan Sep 9, 2013 6:45 PM

Barnett was bragging about how he'd have the cities highest building and it will now be third tallest on the street alone. Weird huh?

NYguy Sep 9, 2013 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6260287)
Barnett was bragging about how he'd have the cities highest building and it will now be third tallest on the street alone. Weird huh?

Barnett didn't brag about anything. At most, he was discussing plans for what was being planned at the time. He's stated his buildings weren't about height, but design, and he also said he didn't think this would end up as tallest. I don't know how you get "bragging" out of that.

fimiak Sep 10, 2013 4:51 AM

He did get short-sticked though. Too bad, tis still my favorite proposal.

Zapatan Sep 10, 2013 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6260294)
Barnett didn't brag about anything. At most, he was discussing plans for what was being planned at the time. He's stated his buildings weren't about height, but design, and he also said he didn't think this would end up as tallest. I don't know how you get "bragging" out of that.

Bragging may not have been the right word but he was definitely very confident about having 1550 solid feet to the top floor with no spire or anything, they also said it would be one of the "worlds tallest buildings" in a recent article and now it won't even be the top 5 in NYC soon enough.

I'm still happy about 1250 feet of course but still. He could have had it all, those top penthouses would have made bank but I'm sure he has his reasons why not to build them. :uhh:

NYguy Sep 10, 2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6261067)
Bragging may not have been the right word but he was definitely very confident about having 1550 solid feet to the top floor with no spire or anything, they also said it would be one of the "worlds tallest buildings" in a recent article and now it won't even be the top 5 in NYC soon enough.

Don't pretend to be dense. You yourself have quoted the articles, so I know you've read it. Gary Barnett said he did not think the tower would end up as a tallest, and you know what the articles are a reference to. And his reference to the "1,550 ft" height was the planning at the time, not "bragging". And eve now you don't know what the height of the building is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fimiak (Post 6261044)
He did get short-sticked though.

Explain.

Zapatan Sep 11, 2013 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6261148)
Don't pretend to be dense. You yourself have quoted the articles, so I know you've read it. Gary Barnett said he did not think the tower would end up as a tallest, and you know what the articles are a reference to. And his reference to the "1,550 ft" height was the planning at the time, not "bragging". And eve now you don't know what the height of the building is.

Explain.

no gil,

I'm not "pretending to be dense" I'm simply saying he seemed to do a lot of flip flopping about the height, the articles are all contradictory.

Onn Sep 11, 2013 2:18 AM

I think the height of the tower will end up being okay, but you can't deny that 107 W 57th St. going taller than expected isn't going to give Barnett some pause. In this super high-end market how can you compete with someone your looking up at? Hopefully Extel makes the right decision here!

21bl0wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6262306)
I think the height of the tower will end up being okay, but you can't deny that 107 W 57th St. going taller than expected isn't going to give Barnett some pause. In this super high-end market how can you compete with someone your looking up at? Hopefully Extel makes the right decision here!

But but..the super rich will pay more for a well designed building over just a tall rectangle! :rolleyes:

MrSlippery519 Sep 11, 2013 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onn (Post 6262306)

I agree, this and 432 being taller no matter how you slice it will eat into potential sales. Some of the super rich want to be in the "tallest building in NYC"

chris08876 Sep 12, 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 (Post 6262919)
I agree, this and 432 being taller no matter how you slice it will eat into potential sales. Some of the super rich want to be in the "tallest building in NYC"

Yea I agree with that. Its all about status and bragging rights with the super rich. Not to mention the psychology behind seeing a taller tower and knowing that you live in the 2nd tallest. That 2nd for some bothers them. Its all about being number one.

ILNY Sep 12, 2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Normally, I would agree with you. However, I do not think this will be the case for NYC. Super luxury market is so hot here that a tower with prime location like Nordstrom will sell out quick whether it is the highest or not.

NYguy Sep 12, 2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6262243)
no gil,
I'm not "pretending to be dense" I'm simply saying he seemed to do a lot of flip flopping about the height, the articles are all contradictory.

Well, whatever comprehension may be lacking, I've explained it.

Quote:

Look up some of the most expensive sales in Manhattan, you will find not everyone wants to be "up top", or even halfway there. There's a market for being sky high, no doubt about it. But it's not the "end all, be all" of Manhattan real estate.

I notice that another thing some of you seem to overlook is that this is as much a Nordstrom development as Extell's. Extell has the rights to build the residential tower above the store, but the site and the store belongs to Nordstrom. It was Nordstrom that chose the architect here, and a "high quality" development is what Barnett promised them. It will be a very tall building, no doubt. But its not being driven by height. And we'll see exactly what that is when all is revealed.

supertallchaser Sep 15, 2013 11:43 PM

i honestly believe this is going to be an iconic tower no matter what happens. im still thinking the 1550ft plans will be carried out,how can we go from 1550ft with no crown to 1250ft with a crown and a green facade.doesnt add up

-Filipe- Sep 16, 2013 12:08 AM

Who cares if its 1253 feet, better then a 600 ft tower, or a 300 ft tower, or an empty plot?

NYC GUY Sep 16, 2013 12:19 AM

I still think it will be 1550 or close to that and seriously I know height isn't everything but this would be like tower verre when it got a 200 feet haircut.