SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

urbanboy Jan 15, 2010 7:21 PM

A suburban community is not the appropriate place to locate an attraction such as the aquarium. Attractions such as these belong downtown.

I care more about Salt Lake City than I do Sandy, and when Sandy competes for facilities such as this, it is to the detriment of Salt Lake City. Sandy can have it's place in our community, but once it becomes a parasite, I see no place for it.

urbanboy Jan 15, 2010 7:55 PM

SmashBurger

http://www.smashburger.com

http://www.smashburger.com/menu_utah.php

Locations:

1. West Valley City
W. 3500 S. & S. 2700 W
3513 South 2700 West

2. Salt Lake City
E 2100 S & McClelland St
1028 E 2100 S

Coming Soon
Draper, Utah
(22.01 miles)
Spring 2010

Orem, Utah
(45.45 miles)
University Parkway & S. State Street
January 2010

TonyAnderson Jan 15, 2010 10:46 PM

I definitely think the Performance Center was meant for downtown SLC, as it caters to the demographic there, as well as tourists. The aquarium isn't as big a deal to me. I'd like to see it in downtown SLC, but I can understand Sandy as well, given their demographic and how well it's currently performed.

i-215 Jan 16, 2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanboy (Post 4651809)
A suburban community is not the appropriate place to locate an attraction such as the aquarium. Attractions such as these belong downtown.

King Dolan of the Kingdom ye calleth Sandy is angered by thus statements.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...uide/dolan.jpg

King Dolan orders his armies to attack Urbanboy and downtown SLC core.

SLC Projects Jan 16, 2010 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-215 (Post 4652287)
King Dolan of the Kingdom ye calleth Sandy is angered by thus statements.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...uide/dolan.jpg

King Dolan orders his armies to attack Urbanboy and downtown SLC core.

:previous:
Lame I-215 very lame.
The guy's just trying to do whats best for his city. That what a Mayor does.

scottharding Jan 16, 2010 6:26 PM

yes, but some mayors do it well and fairly, and truly do seem to be doing what's best for thier city and not for their political careers.
Others are underhanded, and corrupt, making quiet deals and manipulating the County leaders to say... I don't know, win a stadium for his city. Or paying large amounts of city money to his own family members who aren't part of the city government. Or who are part of outlandish (and unreal) proposals like the Procenium to combat the capitol's proposal for a Broadway Theatre. Yeah, some mayors are great. Others, not so much.
I appreciated the jab, I-215.

TonyAnderson Jan 19, 2010 6:01 AM

St. Regis is off to a good start:

Papa John's founder buys 3 luxury condos in Deer Valley for $23M

Grace Leong - Daily Herald | Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Papa John's founder is investing in a new luxury resort community in Deer Valley.

Pizza magnate John Schnatter last week closed on the purchase of three units, totalling nearly 16,000 square feet, at the ritzy St. Regis Deer Crest Resort for $23 million.

http://heraldextra.com/business/loca...0e45d70f8.html

Schmoe Jan 20, 2010 10:14 AM

Go Big Papa!

:tup:

delts145 Jan 20, 2010 1:54 PM

Good news for the St. Regis! If you have the cash, St. Regis and Deer Valley is an excellent investment. Thanks for posting that article Tony.

delts145 Jan 20, 2010 2:00 PM

Brief: Valley Fair Mall remade

Deseret News,

Valley Fair Mall carried out a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday for the largest phase of the redevelopment at the West Valley shopping center. The 100,000 square feet in this phase will feature new and remodeled stores that include Ross Dress For Less, Famous Footwear, Petco, NYPD Pizzeria, Farr's Fresh Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Cafe and In-N-Out Burger. When the entire mall project is completed consumers will enjoy a 1 million square-foot super-regional shopping and entertainment power center.

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2348949.jpg
Valley Fair Mall carried out a ceremonial groundbreaking Tuesday for the largest phase of the redevelopment at the West Valley shopping center, seen in artist rendering above. illustration by Satterfield Helm Development

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2348950.jpg
Satterfield Helm Development

urbanboy Jan 20, 2010 7:30 PM

County growth continues to impress

Jan 20 10 - 09:44 AM
by Buckley Jensen

...Salt Lake County grew a modest 1.1 percent and now has 1.042 million residents. Utah County is second in total population in the state, with a population of 531,000 and a 2.3 percent growth rate...

...Other interesting statistics in the article peg the current Utah State population at 2.81 million; with the very likely possibility of having a fourth representative in Washington, D.C. as a result. Carbon is the only county in the state that lost population (a 0.4 percent dip);

Utah women are the most fertile in the nation, averaging 2.5 babies each; and Utah has the continuing “distinction” of spending the least amount per pupil for education than any state in the nation.

sjrnews@frontiernet.net

http://www.sjrnews.com/pages/full_st...nce_id=5607985

urbanboy Jan 20, 2010 7:34 PM

Salt Lake County hosts urban farm open house
Associated Press - January 20, 2010 8:05 AM ET

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Salt Lake County is inviting the public to attend an urban farming open house.

The event will share information about the county's urban farming program. The program is designed to support local farmers, provide agricultural-based economic development and to protect the food supply.

County officials say the program will help preserve landscapes in the area while promoting a healthy lifestyle along the Wasatch Front.

The open house will be held at the Salt Lake County Government Center on Thursday evening.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11850298

urbanboy Jan 21, 2010 7:50 PM

Chamber urges Legislature to pursue tax hikes on tobacco, fuel
Revenue

» Trucking group supports gasoline fee bump, saying it is critical to improve roads.

By John Keahey
The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake City business leaders want lawmakers to raise fees on tobacco products and gasoline -- the former to forestall cuts on education and the latter to get highway users to help cover the spiraling cost of improving and maintaining the state's roadways.
But other than bumping up those so-called user fees, the Salt Lake Chamber does not favor any increases in sales, income or property taxes, the organization's board chairman, Jake Boyer, said Wednesday.
As lawmakers prepare to wrestle with a $700 million budget shortfall during the Legislature's 45-day run that begins Monday, the chamber presented its positions at a news conference, along with the oft-repeated mantra that government should be run like a business.
Business leaders probably will see their general-tax wishes honored. Many lawmakers face re-election and typically won't raise taxes before November balloting.
The political fallout aside, such increases "would lead to more layoffs and more out-of-business signs," said Boyer, president of the development firm The Boyer Co.
But tobacco and gasoline taxes are fair game, the chamber said, even though lawmakers traditionally have resisted boosting fees on those products. The last time state fuel taxes were raised was in 1995, in advance of the $1.59 billion remake of Interstate 15 through the Salt Lake Valley. That bump was 5 cents a gallon. Now, the state is ready to launch a similar remake of a section of the freeway through Utah County that is expected to cost more than $2 billion...

Read full story: http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_14232970

RFPCME Jan 23, 2010 4:29 AM

Stop taking public money, Boyer

Urbanboy:

I was having a pretty good day until I read your excerpt from the SL Trib concerning potential tax increases...not for the reasons you think, however.

First, I am so sick and tired of supporting the trucking industry that I would like to treble fuel tax on long-haul truckers. Those guys do not even come close to paying their fair share of road use taxes. They do more damage to highways and bridges than any other segment highway users. I don't care if we have to pay higher cost for goods shipped by truck. Maybe we'll stop relying so much on trucks. As much as possible, long-hauls should be done by rail. At least railroads build an maintain their own transportation infra-structures. About the only thing worse is the barge business, which is totally subsidized by tax payers.

Second, people like Jake Boyer drive me nuts. Companies like Boyer don't employ the vast majority of people. It's small businesses like mine. We are the future of the economy. We do not exist on largess of Redevelopment Agencies, nor sweetheart tax breaks I (Take that Mr. Boyer). We also expect to pay fair share of taxes to provide the infrastructure we need. We also remember that the financial mess we are in right now was caused by large businesses who were screwing everybody. So let's hope the State of Utah is not run like a Bear Stearns or Bank of America or Citi Group or possibly the Boyer Company (I still remember an office bldg. I worked in SLC that was built by the Boyer Co. The only reason we didn't sue the Boyer Co. was because Kem Gardner was running for Governor at the time, and we were afraid he'd screw us in the long term) Utah educates more kids for less money than any state in the union. It also does a lot of other things pretty well. fMaybe the Boyer Co. company should be run like the State. If it were, then its construction projects might result in better buildings.)

I also feel the same way about my own state, Georgia. The State does a pretty good job for not much money. However, California is another story. Nothing should be run like California.

The point is that I am sick and tired of "Holy than thou" business people like Boyer whacking away on public institutions that, for the most part, do a pretty good job. Most of these tirades come from fat cats at big companies who couldn't meet a payroll every two weeks unless they weren't siphoning off taxpayer money one way or another. I am an active Chamber of Commerice Member in Georgia, and I cringe when Chamber Members go off like Boyer did. It gives the rest of us a bad name. And some Chamber Members, like me, want OBama's healthcare plan because it will be the only way we can give our employees decent healthcare insurance. The only people who don't want it are the Insurance Co.'s and the large business fat cats, MBAs who couldn't make a payroll either. Time to tell it the way it really is and get these fat cats to stop supping off the public trough and keep their mouths shut!!!!

i-215 Jan 24, 2010 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 4652910)
Lame I-215 very lame.
The guy's just trying to do whats best for his city. That what a Mayor does.

Because everything I post is always 100% serious. :rolleyes: :haha:

TonyAnderson Jan 24, 2010 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanboy (Post 4651809)

I care more about Salt Lake City than I do Sandy, and when Sandy competes for facilities such as this, it is to the detriment of Salt Lake City. Sandy can have it's place in our community, but once it becomes a parasite, I see no place for it.

You know there's many people in history who have shared similar views as you. Examples of those thoughts put to action include the 1930's and 40's, where if something didn't fit their 'Utopian' view of things, then it was a parasite they could seen no place for, and they got rid of it.

urbanboy Jan 24, 2010 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyAnderson (Post 4664699)
You know there's many people in history who have shared similar views as you. Examples of those thoughts put to action include the 1930's and 40's, where if something didn't fit their 'Utopian' view of things, then it was a parasite they could seen no place for, and they got rid of it.

What examples do you have? Your posting is pretty vague.

Orlando Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i-215 (Post 4664634)
Because everything I post is always 100% serious. :rolleyes: :haha:

I got it, I-215. funny. :haha: Projects missed it.

But, I do tend to agree with Urban Boy on this one. Take a look at what the Aquarium in Chattanooga has done for their downtown, or the what the Georgia Aquairum has done for downtown Atlanta. Btw, Chattanooga Tennessee has one of the best downtown's for a small city that you will ever see, and top it with it's beautiful natural setting. Great place to visit.

TonyAnderson Jan 24, 2010 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanboy (Post 4664767)
What examples do you have? Your posting is pretty vague.

The idea of eliminating anything you deem unworthy. The interpretation of that can go many ways. Should every 5 years or so each community in Utah justify its existence to say, you? And if it's not carrying its weight or more, as you deem, then it should be eliminated?

What's interesting though, is the idea of Sandy developing giving way to the idea it's a parasite. Wouldn't it be a parasite if it used Salt Lake for everything? For instance, if everyone in Sandy had to travel to Salt Lake to do anything. That seems like a parasite to me. Developing your own sustaining community would seem to be doing the opposite. If the suburbs are future ghettos as some have said, it would be because they had developed nothing and therefore had to rely on others.

Just tossing around ideas.

urbanboy Jan 24, 2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyAnderson (Post 4664850)
The idea of eliminating anything you deem unworthy. The interpretation of that can go many ways. Should every 5 years or so each community in Utah justify its existence to say, you? And if it's not carrying its weight or more, as you deem, then it should be eliminated?

What's interesting though, is the idea of Sandy developing giving way to the idea it's a parasite. Wouldn't it be a parasite if it used Salt Lake for everything? For instance, if everyone in Sandy had to travel to Salt Lake to do anything. That seems like a parasite to me. Developing your own sustaining community would seem to be doing the opposite. If the suburbs are future ghettos as some have said, it would be because they had developed nothing and therefore had to rely on others.

Just tossing around ideas.

No, because parasites only take and don't give. If those in Sandy traveled by train to Downtown SLC to work and play, then they'd be helping the Salt Lake City economy, which is good. However, if Sandy takes away important venues that Salt Lake City needs in order to become a world class city, then I see that as being a parasite who's leeching off of Salt Lake City's name and reputation.

In regard to suburbs becoming slums, why should those who chose to live irresponsibly and out in the suburbs be rewarded with a positive investment outcome on their property?