SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

Redddog Nov 30, 2017 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 8002591)
OK. I’ll take the bait. Me and my wife.

How do you think he's doing?

Totally genuine question. I haven't actually met someone who voted for him.

El Duderino Nov 30, 2017 2:29 PM

IN OTHER NEWS...

fireproofing on the ground-level steel at the National is up, so hopefully we’ll see some of that orange facade going up soon. also, looks like major work is starting at the SoNo site at 5th and Spring Garden (Yards brewery/future Target). the eastern edge of the callowhill-spring garden corridor is slowly getting there.

Justin7 Nov 30, 2017 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 8002591)
Me

Are you really the one who gets to make that judgment? How many people consider themselves to be unreasonable?

I'd argue that a reasonable person would be reasonable enough to leave the question of his or her own reasonableness to the reason of others.

Also, "taking the bait" is rarely a reasonable decision. The evidence is not in your favor.

hammersklavier Nov 30, 2017 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino (Post 8002820)
\also, looks like major work is starting at the SoNo site at 5th and Spring Garden (Yards brewery/future Target).

?

PHL10 Nov 30, 2017 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin7 (Post 8002876)
Are you really the one who gets to make that judgment? How many people consider themselves to be unreasonable?

I'd argue that a reasonable person would be reasonable enough to leave the question of his or her own reasonableness to the reason of others.

Also, "taking the bait" is rarely a reasonable decision. The evidence is not in your favor.

Don't be a jerk.

Parkway Nov 30, 2017 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 8002902)
?

It kind of got buried but we are getting a mini Target on the 6th Street side of the complex.

MikeNigh Nov 30, 2017 4:05 PM

Sorry folks, the shitty park / SJW bullshit made me snap. Overt anti-SJW / anti virtue signalling is not racism. I'm extremely pissed that they had Octavius have some goofy ass pose. Have some fucking respect. Shitty art, whether it is social justice or not, is shitty public space. It insults the space and the group it is trying to help. Shitty public space means nobody particularly wants to move here which means no new towers.

Knight Hospitaller Nov 30, 2017 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redddog (Post 8002783)
How do you think he's doing?

Totally genuine question. I haven't actually met someone who voted for him.

We can discuss that off line, if you like. I'm sure people have had enough of the detour of this thread.

In general, I appreciate the comments of some of the others above. We need to NOT paint people with a broad brush as "those people" or we might as well throw in the towel on this wonderful country of ours. We can't let those who behave badly derail civil discourse about legitimate differences of opinion. We shouldn't need to console ourselves that we are right by shouting from the rooftops how wrong others are.

Londonee Nov 30, 2017 4:19 PM

What's surprising to me is that the OP who started this digression, if i recall correctly, generally seemed to be fairly reasonable in his postings before? Am I wrong on that? Hopefully all is well with them personally as the comment came off as more unhinged than anything else.

Knight Hospitaller Nov 30, 2017 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londonee (Post 8002990)
What's surprising to me is that the OP who started this digression, if i recall correctly, generally seemed to be fairly reasonable in his postings before? Am I wrong on that? Hopefully all is well with them personally as the comment came off as more unhinged than anything else.

I too was surprised.

1487 Nov 30, 2017 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino (Post 8002820)
IN OTHER NEWS...

fireproofing on the ground-level steel at the National is up, so hopefully we’ll see some of that orange facade going up soon. also, looks like major work is starting at the SoNo site at 5th and Spring Garden (Yards brewery/future Target). the eastern edge of the callowhill-spring garden corridor is slowly getting there.

very slowly.

El Duderino Nov 30, 2017 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 8002923)
It kind of got buried but we are getting a mini Target on the 6th Street side of the complex.

from my vague recollection, this is going to be similar in size to the new target in the old whole foods location near fairmount. not sure if the work going on was specifically for the target or the other office (or other) spaces, but there were a ton of trucks and people hanging on the roof of the building adjacent to Yards. All the SoNo collateral i’ve found seems to be a bit outdated, so i’m not sure what specific plans are looking like for the site.

hopefully this momentum will lead to those parcels associated with the cecil baker-designed project at 4th and callowhill to get purchased and developed sooner rather than later as this area is in big-time need of street-level activation.

El Duderino Nov 30, 2017 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 8002998)
very slowly.

haha yep. but there’s work going on across 5th from this at the building associated with the firefighters union as well as the soc. sec. administration building on the spring garden side. getting the scooby doo ghost town/ welcome to no-libs buildings redeveloped certainly wouldn’t hurt either :tup:

Jayfar Nov 30, 2017 4:50 PM

-delete-

mja Nov 30, 2017 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeNigh (Post 8002961)
Sorry folks, the shitty park / SJW bullshit made me snap. Overt anti-SJW / anti virtue signalling is not racism. I'm extremely pissed that they had Octavius have some goofy ass pose. Have some fucking respect. Shitty art, whether it is social justice or not, is shitty public space. It insults the space and the group it is trying to help. Shitty public space means nobody particularly wants to move here which means no new towers.

In a sincere effort to be helpful, I'll say this...

As soon as someone drops "SJW" I completely tune them out. Exceedingly few people would ever apply that label to themselves. It's only ever used derogatively. It's right up there with libtard or cuck. The term enables the user to categorically dismiss a person with an opposing viewpoint without having to have an honest dialogue, mostly to avoid facing facts that conflict with their pre-conceived notions or to avoid uncomfortable truths. So, if you want people to hear you, you may want to stop insulting them at the outset.

What's more, while there's certainly a healthy amount of self-righteous virtue-signaling that goes on over on the left, trying to memorialize a past injustice is not virtue-signaling. We should most definitely be memorializing past societal injustices, lest we forget about them, and fail to learn from them. You seem to want a pretty history. Well, history isn't pretty. It doesn't mean we shouldn't memorialize it. The holocaust memorial is already there and has been there for quite some time. Meanwhile, Catto is the FIRST public statue memorializing an african-american in the city. That's frankly a bit outrageous and difficult to comprehend. If anything, such a monument is LONG overdue.

Finally, as for Catto's pose in the statue, I love it. I don't need a "respectful" black man there. Respectful of what exactly? White supremacy? I mean, he literally died fighting for the right to vote. The pose can certainly be interpreted as a confrontational one, but then he died a heroic and confrontational death. Meanwhile, if you read the artist's intention, the pose is meant to invoke Catto walking forward, with his hands stretched out to clasp the hands of fellow marchers, so a communal one, if still fairly confrontational. The pose is a large part of what makes the statue so moving.

But then I guess I'm just a libtard SJW cuck, or something...

Knight Hospitaller Nov 30, 2017 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mja (Post 8003053)
Meanwhile, Catto is the FIRST public statue memorializing an african-american in the city.

Probably technically true (regarding an individual), but there's an "all wars" relief/monument to AA soldiers from 1934 that got moved from Fairmount Park to a more prominent position on Logan Circle/the Parkway in 1994. An excellent work.

reparcsyks Nov 30, 2017 5:24 PM

Quote:

I guess you're the person who decides what art is shitty. Can you enlighten us and name 3-5 pieces of good art (anywhere in the world) that also respect your delicate sense of what is respectful. Thanks.

Skintreesnail Nov 30, 2017 5:31 PM

Quote:

I'm having trouble seeing in what way the statue's pose is showing a lack of respect.

reparcsyks Nov 30, 2017 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skintreesnail (Post 8003152)
I'm having trouble seeing in what way the statue's pose is showing a lack of respect.

Spoiler alert: it isn't.

MikeNigh Nov 30, 2017 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reparcsyks (Post 8003139)
I guess you're the person who decides what art is shitty. Can you enlighten us and name 3-5 pieces of good art (anywhere in the world) that also respect your delicate sense of what is respectful. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/lJq3nJ7.jpg

Parks like this are everywhere in New York. Most of University City has great examples of public space. Can easily add Holocaust remembrance panels or placards to any of them.