SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

jeddy1989 Feb 17, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6455801)
Also on the topic of Avalon Mall stores. This story was on Telegrams website concerning and huge increases in rent at the Avalon Mall with some tenants choosing to not renew their lease and move shop or close it altogether. I wonder how this will affect Sears with it taking up so much square footage.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...rising-rents/1

maybe they are going to go for a more upscale sort of shopping centre, I don't know why they would do this unless they have some sort of plan for something. It would be alright if this happened and they could attract some more higher end brands and id the village took in the displaced stores. BUT who knows, this could be an opportunity for the village to break out of the darkness.

Arrakis Feb 17, 2014 7:02 PM

Avalon Mall has to do a lot more if they plan on going more upscale. Their building is old an dated (built in the late 1960's and it shows), and goes off in all directions with no sort of public flow or planning given any thought whatsoever. I still don't know what is at the end of that hall where Scotia Bank is. That hall is like a dead end street. It should have looped around and exited back out into the main mall. No one wants to walk down a hall and have to turn around and come back the same way.

There is not much hope for the Village Shopping Centre either. They lost their main anchor tenants and then fucked up the spaces that those anchor tenants occupied. They don't have any anchors drawing in the customers. And no, I don't count Sport Chek, Labels, and Bed Bath and Beyond. They may have the size but I don't think they have the numbers to draw in crowds. Labels is a joke. I don't know how they can afford the square footage when there are only 5 customers in that store at any given time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6456082)
maybe they are going to go for a more upscale sort of shopping centre, I don't know why they would do this unless they have some sort of plan for something. It would be alright if this happened and they could attract some more higher end brands and id the village took in the displaced stores. BUT who knows, this could be an opportunity for the village to break out of the darkness.

statbass Feb 24, 2014 1:34 PM

This question is stemming from the recent Field Power Centre discussions in the restaurant thread: Does anyone know when the new cinema will be built? They were slated for last fall but I realize Cineplex purchase of Empire probably has delayed construction. Hopefully this gets off the ground real soon... poor Harvey's is waiting for some company over on that side of the road.

Horsell Feb 24, 2014 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6465496)
This question is stemming from the recent Field Power Centre discussions in the restaurant thread: Does anyone know when the new cinema will be built? They were slated for last fall but I realize Cineplex purchase of Empire probably has delayed construction. Hopefully this gets off the ground real soon... poor Harvey's is waiting for some company over on that side of the road.

I think I saw in a council agenda prior to Christmas that the construction permit had been approved. I would imagine that when the snow goes they can continue with site prep and by this summer we should see significant progress. Let's hope.

statbass Feb 24, 2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 6465538)
I think I saw in a council agenda prior to Christmas that the construction permit had been approved. I would imagine that when the snow goes they can continue with site prep and by this summer we should see significant progress. Let's hope.

Let's hope so. It seems like this development is a million years old and still little progress; almost as slow as Henry-Bell. :haha:

Arrakis Feb 25, 2014 12:46 PM

I don't understand how things like this get approved. Mallard Cottage Restaurant in Quidi Vidi Village was approved with only two parking spaces? It's one thing to restore a historic property, but when you turn that property into a highly rated restaurant, you know people will want to go there. Did they not think of this beforehand?

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=43745

Arrakis Feb 25, 2014 2:29 PM

Apologies, I meant to post this in the restaurant thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6466990)
I don't understand how things like this get approved. Mallard Cottage Restaurant in Quidi Vidi Village was approved with only two parking spaces? It's one thing to restore a historic property, but when you turn that property into a highly rated restaurant, you know people will want to go there. Did they not think of this beforehand?

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=43745

J_Murphy Feb 25, 2014 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6445004)
I was out driving around and yes indeed, Loblaws have flipped the stylized "D" for Dominion to a stylized "L" for Loblaws on their buildings at Pearlgate and at Stavanger. As of yesterday the Blackmarsh Rd store still has it is a stylized "D". Not sure about the Memorial Stadium store. Also noticed via google that stores featuring the stylized "L" are called Loblaws and not Atlantic Superstore. The Atlantic Superstores do not use the stylized "L" on the building at all. I wonder if they are gonna do that here or leave the Dominion name on it with the stylized "L". Which would be kinda odd to do I think.

Story on VOCM states that the Dominion stores will keep the name and not be changing to Loblaws.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...43763&latest=1

Arrakis Feb 25, 2014 6:31 PM

Oop, didnt see that you already addressed this. Doh!

Looks like Loblaws is hangin onto the Dominion brand for the time being.

J_Murphy Feb 25, 2014 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6467480)
Oop, didnt see that you already addressed this. Doh!

Looks like Loblaws is hangin onto the Dominion brand for the time being.

I was in the one on Stavanger today....they are undergoing some bigtime renovations in there.

Chew Feb 26, 2014 2:04 PM

Cool. I didn't think the chatter about this would have reached the level where an official statement was warranted. Good to have an answer.

ThisIsJustePourDire Feb 26, 2014 9:34 PM

Just overheard from a Swiss Chalet employee (maybe the manager) while I was waiting in line for an hour that the new Swiss Chalet located in Mount Pearl will open sometime next week! Maybe this can resolve the long lines at this location. Also, the new location looks pretty small!

Gravelley Feb 27, 2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsJustePourDire (Post 6469968)
Just overheard from a Swiss Chalet employee (maybe the manager) while I was waiting in line for an hour that the new Swiss Chalet located in Mount Pearl will open sometime next week! Maybe this can resolve the long lines at this location. Also, the new location looks pretty small!

The new location is actually bigger then you think, its the only westside charlies that was there which is about the same size as the new know on kelsey. You are right the construction is pretty much done from what i hear from people i know working on that job. I think staff is moving in this week to start training.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 27, 2014 10:44 PM

This doesn't really phase me much but Sephora is opening a store this summer in the Avalon Mall according to their twitter account. I know my girlfriend will be happy about it though :P

Gravelley Feb 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6472222)
This doesn't really phase me much but Sephora is opening a store this summer in the Avalon Mall according to their twitter account. I know my girlfriend will be happy about it though :P

Ya her and every other female in NL, i remember when victoria secrets opened how much they went nuts for that. In my opinion they need more selection for mens barley any selection to buy clothes or anything here. Hope the rumors are true about bannana republic opening up here one of the best customer service experience i have ever had in a retail store is always when i go in there stores.

J_Murphy Feb 28, 2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravelley (Post 6472948)
Ya her and every other female in NL, i remember when victoria secrets opened how much they went nuts for that. In my opinion they need more selection for mens barley any selection to buy clothes or anything here. Hope the rumors are true about bannana republic opening up here one of the best customer service experience i have ever had in a retail store is always when i go in there stores.

Shopping for mens clothes in this city sucks. I don't know where I'd be without RW and Co. as it has become really the only place I buy clothes now. I dont' know what is on the go with Banana Republic. They were supposed to open next to golf town but all those stores are being rented by other retailers. Whenever I go somewhere in the states with outlets, I usually stock up at this store.

wardo44 Feb 28, 2014 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravelley (Post 6471013)
The new location is actually bigger then you think, its the only westside charlies that was there which is about the same size as the new know on kelsey. You are right the construction is pretty much done from what i hear from people i know working on that job. I think staff is moving in this week to start training.

I hear that the restaurant opens on Monday.

Arrakis Mar 7, 2014 2:20 PM

Just reading that Staples is closing 225 stores across Canada and the US. I wonder if that will affect the 3 stores in the metro area here. I always wondered if we had too many Staples stores for an area the size of St. John's and metro?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle17341526/

SignalHillHiker Mar 7, 2014 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6472956)
Shopping for mens clothes in this city sucks. I don't know where I'd be without RW and Co. as it has become really the only place I buy clothes now. I dont' know what is on the go with Banana Republic. They were supposed to open next to golf town but all those stores are being rented by other retailers. Whenever I go somewhere in the states with outlets, I usually stock up at this store.

Check out JUNK on Water Street. Designer labels you won't find anywhere else in the city, or often Atlantic Canada.

Pricey, but worth it. Investment pieces. And some fun things - cool t-shirts, jeans, etc. as well.

Marty_Mcfly Mar 7, 2014 7:06 PM

I'm such a slim build that most of the nice clothing stores like RW&Co often don't carry anything that fits. I have to shop at stores designed for teenagers to find anything that fits well :haha:

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 11:05 AM

Wow, this seems like an interesting proposal. I didn't hear anything about this retail/office development.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...roperty-sale/1

J_Murphy Mar 11, 2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6488307)
Wow, this seems like an interesting proposal. I didn't hear anything about this retail/office development.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...roperty-sale/1

lol....we posted at the same time, but I put it in west end thread. Never thought to put it here. Did you notice the funny spelling error at the end? lol
"Pubic discussion"

SignalHillHiker Mar 11, 2014 11:10 AM

Looks good for the area. Densification is always a good thing.

Horsell Mar 11, 2014 12:14 PM

Looks good...for a strip mall. I guess this is why the recent amendment was put through to change the required setback for this property. The more of the ugly industrial and residential properties they can get rid of along Kenmount Rd, the better.

My only question is where are they going to get the retail tenants? I guess we haven't reached the saturation point yet.

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 12:46 PM

Yeah that typo is hilarious. Typical of the Telegram though. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6488310)
lol....we posted at the same time, but I put it in west end thread. Never thought to put it here. Did you notice the funny spelling error at the end? lol
"Pubic discussion"

SignalHillHiker Mar 11, 2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsell (Post 6488332)
Looks good...for a strip mall. I guess this is why the recent amendment was put through to change the required setback for this property. The more of the ugly industrial and residential properties they can get rid of along Kenmount Rd, the better.

My only question is where are they going to get the retail tenants? I guess we haven't reached the saturation point yet.

It's too bad it's not up on Ladysmith. Between Kenmount Terrace, the entire town of Paradise, etc... we really need more mixed-use neighbourhoods up there.

It just terrifies to me to think that if I was living in Kenmount Terrace I would have to walk even just to get a can of pop.

Arrakis Mar 11, 2014 1:03 PM

I know its crazy isn't it. But I guess the developers want to sell houses and are not interested in a better designed community nor is city council for that matter as they are the ones approving it and can require such business areas be put into the plans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6488382)
It's too bad it's not up on Ladysmith. Between Kenmount Terrace, the entire town of Paradise, etc... we really need more mixed-use neighbourhoods up there.

It just terrifies to me to think that if I was living in Kenmount Terrace I would have to walk even just to get a can of pop.

statbass Apr 10, 2014 3:29 PM

I was at Coastal Outdoors a couple of days ago and overhead an employee talking to a customer about Coastal's plan to open a new store on Kenmount. I believe (not certain) that Coastal purchased a large parcel of land beside the Metro self storage building. From what I heard it will be a superstore of sorts, similar to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. *** Caveat *** This is speculative at best but I thought it was worth posting. This plan does seem to make sense given they're hard pressed for space at their current location. Also, given the fact that we have a large demographic of hunting/fishing/outdoors enthusiasts, it seems feasible to expand and tap into such a resource.

*** Edit ***
I just did some Internet searching and found this snippet from a development committee report on Oct 15, 2013:

Quote:

1. Approval-in-Principle for Proposed Recreational Supply Building
Coastal Outdoors
Applicant: Ron Fougere
800 Kenmount Road
Commercial Industrial (CI) Zone (Ward 2)
The Development Committee recommends that Council grant an Approval-in-Principle for the development, subject to the following conditions:
a. Compliance with the requirements of the Planning and Development Division;
b. The required Building Permits must be obtained from the City, prior to the commencement of any development;
c. This Development must meet the minimum parking requirements for the CI Zone for this type of occupancy;
d. There is a concept plan currently under development for this area for a possible
signalized roadway network, through which individual properties would access Kenmount Road, and would prohibit individual direct connections onto Kenmount Road. Therefore, the property access location will need to be modified at a later date in time to fall in line with the proposed development guidelines for the area; and
e. If the proponent wishes to connect to the Town of Paradise services, any limitations, upgrades or permissions must be obtained from that municipality.
http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...021%202013.pdf

so it looks as if there's a bit more to it than just speculation... interesting..... :cool:

Arrakis Apr 10, 2014 5:32 PM

Where is their existing store located? I can't say i have even heard of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6533413)
I was at Coastal Outdoors a couple of days ago and overhead an employee talking to a customer about Coastal's plan to open a new store on Kenmount. I believe (not certain) that Coastal purchased a large parcel
of land beside the Metro self storage building. From what I heard it will be a superstore of sorts, similar to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. *** Caveat *** This is speculative at best but I thought it was worth posting. This plan does seem to make sense given they're hard pressed for space at their current location. Also, given the fact that we have a large demographic of hunting/fishing/outdoors enthusiasts, it seems feasible to expand and tap into such a resource.

*** Edit ***
I just did some Internet searching and found this snippet from a development committee report on Oct 15, 2013:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...021%202013.pdf

so it looks as if there's a bit more to it than just speculation... interesting..... :cool:

statbass Apr 10, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6533697)
Where is their existing store located? I can't say i have even heard of it.

Here's the physical address: 1256 Topsail Rd, Mount Pearl

It's at the tail end of Mount Pearl just before you enter Paradise (the new Kenmount overpass). It's a blue color building, they have a lot full of trailers and campers you can see from the overpass. I take it you're not a part of the demographic I mentioned.... :haha:

Actually, here's the street view:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?safe=active&ie=UTF-8&q=Coastal+Outdoors&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=coastal+outdoors&hnear=0x4b0ca38e6b0aa261:0x9e1fd4001f12261f,St.+John's,+NL&cid=12690904725807233560&ei=CtlGU_aeIar4yQGDvYH4DA&ved=0CHoQ_BIwCg

nando Apr 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Milestones

Heard through the grapevine that there is one being built on Hebron Drive.

Marty_Mcfly Apr 24, 2014 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nando (Post 6551581)
Heard through the grapevine that there is one being built on Hebron Drive.

Yep! It was approved at council last week and I imagine it'll be a very quick build.

MonctonRad Apr 24, 2014 1:30 PM

:previous:

Lucky bastards. Milestone's is one of my favourite premium restaurant chains. Better in my opinion than Moxie's which we have here in Moncton (and Halifax).

I believe this will be their first location in Atlantic Canada. :tup:

Arrakis May 13, 2014 8:48 PM

This is how rumours start. I doubt there is any validity to it.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...6077&popular=1

Marty_Mcfly May 13, 2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6576187)
This is how rumours start. I doubt there is any validity to it.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...6077&popular=1

This is why I love/hate VOCM. There's no basis behind that article title :haha:

rthomasd May 13, 2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6576339)
This is why I love/hate VOCM. There's no basis behind that article title :haha:

Last year the rumoured site was Gander.
http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/News/2013...co-coming%3F/1

Expect Dannyville will get it first, rumour has it's already been negotiated, and a Target too :)

Arrakis May 14, 2014 2:34 AM

If anyone could make it happen it would be Danny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 6576434)
Last year the rumoured site was Gander.
http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/News/2013...co-coming%3F/1

Expect Dannyville will get it first, rumour has it's already been negotiated, and a Target too :)

Arrakis May 27, 2014 12:44 AM

Lots of activity happening at the Field Power Centre. Was down on Hebron Way today and they have started putting up steel for the new Canadian Tire Store. The foundation is also laid for the Milestones Restaurant and the frame is going up for what I think is another Starbucks (but not confirmed) next to Harvey's. Footings gave also been laid for another office building from the Crosbie Group up near the west end of the Field Power Centre.

Arrakis Jun 9, 2014 7:03 PM

Was out for a Sunday drive yesterday and on the way back into town I noticed that work is going full speed ahead on the proposed new Sobey's supermarket in Paradise on the corner of Topsail Road and McNamara Drive. Construction fences are up all around the site and heavy equipment is all over digging and plowing. I suspect you will see Dominion coming to Paradise next.

Arrakis Jun 9, 2014 7:14 PM

Steel is going up quickly for the new Canadian Tire on Hebron Way.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...68392672_n.jpg

Arrakis Jun 9, 2014 7:17 PM

I think this structure is which going up next door to Harvey's Restaurant is another Starbucks. I think it's time to put one in west end now, like in Mount Pearl or thereabouts.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...32353029_n.jpg

Marty_Mcfly Jul 14, 2014 12:16 PM

I have heard that Sephora isn't opening a location at the Avalon Mall anymore.

Arrakis Jul 14, 2014 1:24 PM

What's Sephora, never heard of it before. Clothing store?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6653537)
I have heard that Sephora isn't opening a location at the Avalon Mall anymore.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 20, 2014 2:43 PM

It's a make-up store. Not my thing (obviously :P) but my girlfriend is upset. There isn't much free space in the mall anyway, I would have been surprised if it actually found a location. I think there's one empty space up for lease, which is large enough for a clothing store, and then there's the old Pasta Plus location which is on it's way to becoming a Starbucks.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 20, 2014 2:56 PM

I actually just realized that this is my thread to upkeep, oops! I have to go to work this afternoon to do some silly instrumentation, I should have downtime between runs to give an update to the front page :)

MonctonRad Jul 20, 2014 2:57 PM

:previous:

Sephora stores can be quite large and can occupy the footprint of a typical clothing store. There's a Sephora at Champlain Place in Moncton. There's one at HSC in Halifax too, and I believe they're opening a second one at MicMac Mall in Dartmouth too.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 20, 2014 3:58 PM

But what do you do with all that makeup? :haha:

Arrakis Jul 20, 2014 9:26 PM

I noticed a construction trailer set up outside the baine Johnston bldg on kenmount rd. Anyone hear about anything on the go there. The former Dooleys is quite the large space.

Marty_Mcfly Jul 20, 2014 10:27 PM

It's possible, though there are still lease signs up at the location. For right now it just seems to be mall overflow (Urban Planet set up shop there during their renovation).

SpongeG Jul 20, 2014 10:36 PM

sephora sells more than makeup they sell a lot of mens products, colognes etc. lots of hair stuff shampoos, hairdryers, curling irons, brushes etc. hard to find lines like bliss, philosophy. they are owned by LVMH the same people who own louis vuitton etc.