SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Jul 8, 2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8974330)
The retail scene in Canada is currently in dire straits thanks to a dismal 2020 and COVID-19. Here is a partial list of some national brands (some of which have locations here in St. John’s) that are currently in financial trouble and may disappear from the retail scene altogether in the near future.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...6307-113844953

Yes - I believe many of the companies mentioned have been on thin ice for a some time. I think COVID-19 became a catalyst that accelerated the inevitable. Globally, the retail landscape is going to look very different in the near future.

Larla77 Jul 8, 2020 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8974357)
Yes - I believe many of the companies mentioned have been on thin ice for a some time. I think COVID-19 became a catalyst that accelerated the inevitable. Globally, the retail landscape is going to look very different in the near future.

Can't help but wonder if some of the stores that were opening in the Avalon Mall expansion will end up not happening - at least not right now. Several brands on that list are in the mall including
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea
Gap/Banana Republic (a combination store was previously announced)
Old Navy (store previously announced)

statbass Jul 9, 2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8974812)
Can't help but wonder if some of the stores that were opening in the Avalon Mall expansion will end up not happening - at least not right now. Several brands on that list are in the mall including
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea

I suspect a combination of delays and reassessments made by corporate. Not just locally - this is a global situation.

Crisisnf Jul 11, 2020 12:52 AM

Saw a Giant Tiger transport truck this evening. I had heard rumors that they were coming here but I didn't think they were close to opening. Anyone have an update?

Marty_Mcfly Jul 12, 2020 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8974330)
The retail scene in Canada is currently in dire straits thanks to a dismal 2020 and COVID-19. Here is a partial list of some national brands (some of which have locations here in St. John’s) that are currently in financial trouble and may disappear from the retail scene altogether in the near future.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...6307-113844953

Saw a sign at the intersection of Thorburn, O'Leary, and Larkall (aka the upper mall intersection) advertising that GNC is closing down, so that would be store on that list.

Arrakis Jul 13, 2020 4:27 PM

Michaels is now opened at Galway. Thought it was gonna be a much smaller store but it seems pretty close in size to the Stavanger Drive.

Darkfire Jul 16, 2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8960173)
I actually havent heard a confirmation that the Woodgate Plaza is going to be The Brick but Avalon Mall/Crombie REIT did announce that The Brick was going to be part of the Avalon Mall renovation project as a stand alone big box store. The only real logical location for that right now is the former Woodgage Plaza location.

Confirmed The Brick is going in Woodgate Plaza

Darkfire Jul 16, 2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevan (Post 8965030)
Slumlord Torontonian - and he owns a whole lot of buildings downtown SJ. Same owner as the former Fixed location and others.

Would seem to rather have his buildings empty than to decrease rents to a reasonable amount. And there are tax breaks for doing this, after all..

Basically screwed all 3 (jacks, trapped and narrows) from what i've heard from insiders, put an ad up a few weeks ago for staff for axe throwing showing pictures of jacks.

J_Murphy Jul 16, 2020 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8961076)
Not sure if this fits here but it doesn't fit anywhere else that I can see. Jack Axes announced on their facebook page last week that they are moving to a new location and hoping to reopen in September. Reason was the landlord of their current building who a few people have had issues with over the years. Not sure if Trapped and the archery place moving with them.

https://www.facebook.com/JackAxesInc...24360277892065

They are now eyeing the former Needs Location on Merrymeeting Road. Which seems like an odd place for such a business, but I guess they think it will work for them. This is the location where I thought there was approval for a few townhouses. Not sure what happened to that plan.

goodgrowth Jul 30, 2020 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8974812)
Nygard
Le Senza
Victoria's Secret
Le Chateau
Starbucks
David's Tea

Looks like David's Tea won't be back. They are down to just 18 locations now and NL isn't on the list..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-18-locations/

Quote:

The 18 stores are located in major shopping malls. Seven are in Quebec, five in Ontario and the rest in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and New Brunswick.

Mkmw Aug 5, 2020 11:23 AM

I’ve heard from a few people that Victoria’s Secret and Pink are not reopening in the mall. Does anyone know if that is true?

Marty_Mcfly Aug 5, 2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkmw (Post 9001547)
I’ve heard from a few people that Victoria’s Secret and Pink are not reopening in the mall. Does anyone know if that is true?

Can't confirm, but Victoria Secret was in a dire financial situation so it's very possible that they close stores including the Avalon Mall location.

MonctonRad Aug 5, 2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9001557)
Can't confirm, but Victoria Secret was in a dire financial situation so it's very possible that they close stores including the Avalon Mall location.

VS/Pink is now closed permanently in Moncton. The only Maritime store now is at HSC in Halifax, so the Avalon Mall location may be toast too.

statbass Aug 5, 2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9001560)
VS/Pink is now closed permanently in Moncton. The only Maritime store now is at HSC in Halifax, so the Avalon Mall location may be toast too.

My thought is unsubstantiated but I figure that's the case. VS/Pink were in rough waters prior to COVID-19. I think COV-19 essentially provided a catalyst to accelerate the closures.

Larla77 Aug 10, 2020 2:51 PM

Spirit Halloween (or whatever its called) is going into the former Pier One location this year. You can see costume packages in the window.

Arrakis Sep 1, 2020 1:59 PM

Noticed that “The Brick” are now looking for staff on the local job sites for its new location on Kenmount Road, next to ToysRUs. Anyone know when it’s supposed to open? The exterior looks pretty much complete.

MelH Sep 5, 2020 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 9001788)
My thought is unsubstantiated but I figure that's the case. VS/Pink were in rough waters prior to COVID-19. I think COV-19 essentially provided a catalyst to accelerate the closures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 9001557)

Can confirm that both Pink & Victoria Secret in the Avalon Mall are closed.

Arrakis Sep 10, 2020 8:03 PM

'The Brick' furniture store on Kenmount Road seems to be coming along nicely and quickly I might add. They recently listed job postings for staff so I assume it will be opening some time this fall by the looks of it. Probably gonna be a shot in a the arm for the former Woodgate Plaza site which is now owned by Crombie REIT, the owners of Avalon Mall.
Here are a couple of pics I took this past week.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...f4&oe=5F81CA02

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=5F80A19B

Offshore1 Sep 10, 2020 9:52 PM

The Brick / Crombie Reit

That's an attractive looking storefront, a vast improvement over what the building used to be. :)

Will Toys R Us get a refresh too?

Arrakis Sep 11, 2020 10:50 AM

I would hope so. Plus the Toys R Us logo has now changed and has a maple leaf inside of the R.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 9038137)
That's an attractive looking storefront, a vast improvement over what the building used to be. :)

Will Toys R Us get a refresh too?