SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 111 W 57th St | 1,428 FT | 85 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198228)

bhunsberger May 12, 2021 4:24 AM

I love the facade of this building and the way it tapers at the top, however it would have been 100X better if it mirrored itself. It feels like a building that’s been spilt in half. Total lost opportunity.

UrbanImpact May 12, 2021 1:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunsberger (Post 9277471)
I love the facade of this building and the way it tapers at the top, however it would have been 100X better if it mirrored itself. It feels like a building that’s been spilt in half. Total lost opportunity.

That's not how it works. Where would the mirrored part go?

bhunsberger May 12, 2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanImpact (Post 9277631)
That's not how it works. Where would the mirrored part go?

It may not have been possible in that particular location. I'm simply saying having the one side completely flat, while the other side tapers, just looks really odd to me. This would have been so much better.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6d5e9db4_b.jpg

NYguy May 14, 2021 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunsberger (Post 9278472)
It may not have been possible in that particular location. I'm simply saying having the one side completely flat, while the other side tapers, just looks really odd to me. This would have been so much better.

That could be said for anything, there's always a better version in some people's mind for any tower. However, as a shaft rising through an existing landmark, with limited space, there was no way anything like that was going to fit on site.



https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0wlxrMWUH/

https://www.picuki.com/hosted-by-ins...c_sid%3D4f375e



https://www.picuki.com/hosted-by-ins...c_sid%3D4f375e

NYguy May 21, 2021 1:04 AM

shinya

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a7768712_b.jpg



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...29fc9ec3_h.jpg



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8020d4dc_b.jpg



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d158a195_b.jpg



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4b11a2c2_h.jpg



https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6db60385_b.jpg

Drcastro May 21, 2021 2:17 AM

The crane is finally coming down!

^ Also, great pics :)

Busy Bee May 21, 2021 2:31 AM


Douglaston?

Reeder113 May 21, 2021 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunsberger (Post 9278472)
It may not have been possible in that particular location. I'm simply saying having the one side completely flat, while the other side tapers, just looks really odd to me. This would have been so much better.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6d5e9db4_b.jpg

I disagree. I think that would have made it more predictable and boring. Having only one side tapered is unique and interesting.

colemonkee May 21, 2021 3:10 PM

Wow, those last few skyline shots are amazing.

NYguy May 22, 2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemonkee (Post 9287693)
Wow, those last few skyline shots are amazing.


Starting to look sci-fi futuristic.



https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJZOXMB_pg/

https://www.picuki.com/hosted-by-ins...c_sid%3D4f375e

Raysiri May 22, 2021 1:21 PM

It will be sci-fi futuristic if more supertall skyscrapers were built, especially Tower Fifth, 175 Park, 270 Park and 350 Park. ESB got some rivals comin’ up.

pianowizard May 22, 2021 1:28 PM

How come both this and the CPT have been taking so long to wrap up the construction? They topped out in Oct 2019 and Sep 2019 respectively. Is it possible that they are struggling with the engineering issues that the NY Times reported earlier this year? See The Downside to Life in a Supertall Tower: Leaks, Creaks, Breaks

faridnyc May 22, 2021 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raysiri (Post 9288537)
It will be sci-fi futuristic if more supertall skyscrapers were built, especially Tower Fifth, 175 Park, 270 Park and 350 Park. ESB got some rivals comin’ up.

And also if any megatall at least 2200ft height in sight in the future .

NYguy May 22, 2021 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 9288541)
How come both this and the CPT have been taking so long to wrap up the construction? They topped out in Oct 2019 and Sep 2019 respectively. Is it possible that they are struggling with the engineering issues that the NY Times reported earlier this year? See The Downside to Life in a Supertall Tower: Leaks, Creaks, Breaks

No.

JDRCRASH May 25, 2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunsberger (Post 9277471)
I love the facade of this building and the way it tapers at the top, however it would have been 100X better if it mirrored itself. It feels like a building that’s been spilt in half. Total lost opportunity.

Nah, besides the constraints others have mentioned that have been given on the site, the design really stands out in a good way.

Sometimes buildings that look "incomplete" is what makes them unique.

To hit closer to home: Some (not me) feel this way regarding the notion that H. Cobb should have included a couple smaller setback crowns and a spire into his proposal of FIBWC (US Bank Tower), rather than just the single crown and helipad presently seen. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your opinion), like this tower, the surrounding legal circumstances at the onset of the design's conception didn't support such an outcome.

But I digress. This tower being the form it is I think lends itself well into the NYC skyline, particularly when it comes to the newer "skinny" Manhattan supertalls that have been going up in recent years. In fact, for me this is probably my favorite one of the bunch, not just because of it's shape, but because of it's glorious facade.

NYguy May 26, 2021 11:36 AM

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/05/wi...ft-museum/amp/

Will SHoP’s 111 West 57th Street supertall house the world’s largest NFT museum?

Jonathan Hilburg
May 25, 2021


Quote:

The 1,428-foot-tall 111 West 57th Street, the latest addition to Manhattan’s Billionaires’ Row, is finally on track for completion later this year. Designed by SHoP Architects, the residential supertall is clad in dazzling terra-cotta, glass, and bronze ornamental work that accentuates its pencil-thin profile towering over Central Park. Already, the building has become an iconic part of the New York skyline. And, because this is 2021, it seems its owners are pivoting to the blockchain and non-fungible tokens (NFTs).

In an interview with Bloomberg TV last night, May 24, Todd Morley, co-founder of the global blockbuster financial services company Guggenheim Partners, announced that he was all-in on cryptocurrencies and was looking to build a “blockchain tower” in Midtown Manhattan.

Morley laid out an ambitious plan for a tower that would act as a beacon and emit a free-to-access wireless network that, once connected to, would allow users to trade cryptocurrencies. He also said that the tower would contain the world’s largest museum dedicated to NFTs, though it’s unclear what exactly such a museum would hold, as NFTs can be used to represent everything from digital art to viral videos to “cyber weed”; they’re just proof of ownership stored on a blockchain. No curators or other arts professionals for the project have been announced at the time of writing.
Quote:

Morley is the current chairman of the Overline Network, a company that promises interoperability between all extant cryptocurrencies through a standardized token called Emblems. Overline has partnered with 111 West 57th Street developer JDS Development Group on the wireless network (which will also allow users to trade Emblems) and the NFT museum. Overline CEO Patrick McConlogue reportedly said that the two companies were looking to bring such networking capabilities to other skyscrapers across New York City. Work on the pilot project is, according to Morley, supposed to begin at the end of this year.

Although other outlets have reported that Morley wants to build a new blockchain tower, his use of the same renderings shown elsewhere for 111 West 57th Street, the address, and involvement of JDS Development all indicate that it is the same nearly complete tower alluded to previously.

The project, originally slated for completion in 2020 but pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been bubbling since 2013 when JDS Development purchased the landmarked Steinway Hall (and associated air rights), which the tower now rises adjacent to. Although not officially complete yet and staring down a cooling condo market, the building’s 60 ultra-luxury units have been selling at a steady clip so far.

gttx May 26, 2021 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 9288641)
No.

Turns out, it takes a really long time to build really big buildings.

I still remember it taking 2+ years from topping out to opening of 1 WTC. Lots of interiors!

NYguy May 26, 2021 11:55 PM

^ Yes, and we see that happening all the time.



https://twitter.com/galenking/status...198470/photo/1


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E17mbIWW...pg&name=medium

NYguy May 28, 2021 10:56 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPZb6s9NUEl/

https://cdn2.dumpor.com/view?q=%3D%3...nbp9yL6MHc0RHa

Drcastro May 29, 2021 5:02 PM

Those 5G antennas in the foreground remind me of a question. How do they get mobile phone signals up in these super tall buildings? I’ve been on top of ESB and 30 Rock and the signal was terrible.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.