SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

Johnny Ryall Feb 14, 2014 3:48 AM

MCR Safety isn't done growing $28M later
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:

After spending roughly $27.7 million on a new Collierville headquarters and Piperton distribution center, MCR Safety still has room to grow. The Memphis-based personal protective equipment company expects to expand within five years into 7,000 more square feet at its 45,000-square-foot corporate office in Schilling Farms and to double its 500,000-square-foot warehouse in Piperton on the south side of U.S. 72 just west of Highway 196.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ntermodal.html

COURTESY RENAISSANCE GROUP INC.
http://assets.bizjournals.com/memphi...render.jpg?v=1

Johnny Ryall Feb 14, 2014 3:55 AM

Stage right: Historic Orpheum to build modern arts/education center next door
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:

Construction may start next month on the $15 million Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts and Education.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-build-modern/

(Courtesy The Crump Firm)
http://media.commercialappeal.com/me...53421_t607.JPG

Huntsvillenative Feb 14, 2014 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall (Post 6451640)
Stage right: Historic Orpheum to build modern arts/education center next door
The Commercial Appeal

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-build-modern/

(Courtesy The Crump Firm)
http://media.commercialappeal.com/me...53421_t607.JPG

It's about time downtown Memphis got architecturally creative. The majority of the downtown structures look ancient compared to other US cities.

kingchef Feb 18, 2014 11:59 PM

while i do agree w/ huntsvillenative and his observations of portions of downtown, i do have an affinity for many of the late 19th and 20th century buildings. i truly think that downtown needs some critically placed skyscrapers and some mid-level classically themed buildings. a good place for some of these buildings would fit in nicely across from the justice complex. i hope downtown will get a new highrise out of the fbi proposed relocation. the hill building will surely find a tenant. if we don't have a campaign that centers on building what is needed in the core, what is wanted, and where it should be located, in order to attract new companies, as well as local ones, it will always be a hard sale. while i agree w/ financial discretion in finances, i think money has to be spent to attract those passing through the city, whether looking for employment, placement of a company or business, or advocating for moving the family, in order to begin a new life. amenities, public buildings, libraries, etc. all can be quickly assessed, as one drives through, especially when the city has some lights burning. the news last night pointed out the amount of lights burning in one of the highrises. i really thought it was a silly story, as there are so many stories that should be told that seem to escape the news outlets in this community.

no less, i am glad to see a public project started.

Huntsvillenative Feb 19, 2014 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingchef (Post 6458128)
while i do agree w/ huntsvillenative and his observations of portions of downtown, i do have an affinity for many of the late 19th and 20th century buildings. i truly think that downtown needs some critically placed skyscrapers and some mid-level classically themed buildings. a good place for some of these buildings would fit in nicely across from the justice complex. i hope downtown will get a new highrise out of the fbi proposed relocation. the hill building will surely find a tenant. if we don't have a campaign that centers on building what is needed in the core, what is wanted, and where it should be located, in order to attract new companies, as well as local ones, it will always be a hard sale. while i agree w/ financial discretion in finances, i think money has to be spent to attract those passing through the city, whether looking for employment, placement of a company or business, or advocating for moving the family, in order to begin a new life. amenities, public buildings, libraries, etc. all can be quickly assessed, as one drives through, especially when the city has some lights burning. the news last night pointed out the amount of lights burning in one of the highrises. i really thought it was a silly story, as there are so many stories that should be told that seem to escape the news outlets in this community.

no less, i am glad to see a public project started.

I'm OK with the 19th century buildings as they are historical. What I was referring to was the taller outdated buildings that look plain and have no modern feel to them. They look ancient and old as in not upgraded or updated. Memphis has several architectural firms located there, but you would never know it from the looks of the designs in downtown.

That being said, Memphis has always been known for being cheap, too. Just take the Graceland area for example. The most famous and most visited home in America looks like it sits in the projects of Detroit.

arkitekte Feb 19, 2014 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6459049)
I'm OK with the 19th century buildings as they are historical. What I was referring to was the taller outdated buildings that look plain and have no modern feel to them. They look ancient and old as in not upgraded or updated. Memphis has several architectural firms located there, but you would never know it from the looks of the designs in downtown.

That's not only on architecture firms...you can't build what the client doesn't want or can't afford. The taller "outdated" buildings were mainly built in the 60's and 70's (they're actually modern or international if you're referring to 100 N. Main (UP), First TN Bank Building, etc.) and for the most part are the same everywhere, it's just that most places have newer towers that distract from them. If the commercial sprawl down Poplar doesn't occur, that would be the case in Memphis.

Quote:

That being said, Memphis has always been known for being cheap, too. Just take the Graceland area for example. The most famous and most visited home in America looks like it sits in the projects of Detroit.
The projects of Detroit is a bit of a stretch, but I know what you mean. The downfall of Whitehaven and the EP Blvd/ Graceland area is the City Council's cross to bear.

kingchef Feb 19, 2014 10:40 PM

well i think all three of us are zeroed in on the same idea. in fact, as i reflected on huntsvillenative's statements, i began to think of other cities very similar to memphis, the county, and the metro area. in my view, memphis has some nice architecture that is rarely seen on these forums. when most of it is seen, it is viewed from an aerial view of about 1,500 ft or more. naturally, at that distance and w/ the equipment used---and i admit fully that i don't know that there is better photography equipment to get much clearer photos---but i suspect there are for a price, purpose, and desire. there are several buildings that are in huge business parks that would probably go unrecognized by most of the residents in shelby county, due to where they are placed. when built, some were in somewhat of a wilderness; however, now they have continued to grow their physical campuses, and, in many cases, they have moved entire divisions from the original sites, e.g. separation of human resources, sales divisions, etc. if memphis had offered incentives to bring these corporations to the core in the form of skyscrapers, i would expect memphis would have a very nice downtown skyline. the population is certainly there, but a clear message concerning memphis vs....whomever at whatever civic pride is visible in several areas, particularly the downtown skyline.

johnny ryall has kept a good record of what memphis and the urban center has to offer and how much of it is laid out, but it is somewhat complicated and difficult to put it all together, w/out seeing the areas. some of the large office buildings that are so spread out, but are part of the same company, are located on the south section of the 240 perimeter. servicemaster, medtronic, fedex, international paper, and others would have made nice looking highrises or business parks, though they would quickly take up a great deal of space for physical plants and parking.

arkitekte Feb 20, 2014 3:06 PM

This should be fun.

If you've flown from MEM ever you know this has been an issue (the concourses, especially B have had to be the narrowest I've ever seen at an airport in a major city, so some changes are coming). From what I read on flymemphis.com they will demo some parts of concourses A and C (close the remaining gates) and concentrate all passenger gates to B. Ticketing and security will still be open at A and B.

http://www.flymemphis.com

http://www.flymemphis.com/images/AirportPhase1.gif

http://www.flymemphis.com/images/AirportPhase2.gif

http://www.flymemphis.com/images/finished.jpg

All in all there should be roughly 20-25 gates that are demo'ed. They currently need only 20-22 (smh), but will keep 60 or 65 for future expansion.

I posted all of this from my phone, so ignore any errors. The link may update soon, so I'll check that later, but for now it should be fresh. I think their twitter is @flymemphis

Johnny Ryall Feb 20, 2014 5:21 PM

Here's some more renderings from the Memphis Biz Journal coverage.

Memphis Airport announces plan to redesign and consolidate
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:

The plan, which will take five to seven years to complete, will remove the south ends of the A and C concourses, widening aircraft access to the B Concourse. The plan also calls for improvements to various infrastructure in the B Concourse like the moving walkways and boarding areas.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...nsolidate.html

Memphis International Airport
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/2017291/board4-view1.jpg

Memphis International Airport
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/201734...gramsfinal.jpg

Trevor Birchett Feb 21, 2014 2:59 AM

I just flew out of MEM last weekend to DFW and on to Denver. I was really impressed by DFW's new improvements and imagined if Memphis did a remodel like that.

I just wish they would get rid of those 80s looking bricks all together. But nice, nonetheless.

arkitekte Feb 21, 2014 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett (Post 6461531)
I just flew out of MEM last weekend to DFW and on to Denver. I was really impressed by DFW's new improvements and imagined if Memphis did a remodel like that.

I just wish they would get rid of those 80s looking bricks all together. But nice, nonetheless.

I don't mind the brick interior, I think the the concourses were built in 1975, but that doesn't necessarily matter, however the better introduction of natural light to those concourses will improve the look of the brick tremendously.

Wayward Memphian Feb 23, 2014 2:44 AM

Read some about the Bass Pro tour they put on this last week. The hotel is back up to 100 rooms and the elevators to the top will surrounded by a gator habitat at the base. It will house a Ducks Unlimited Waterfowling Museum. What I'm confused about is the Uncle Buck's restaurant that will have the 18 lane bowling alley the one that they say will go up top? I don't see how with the bowling, must be another. They have a couple of other names at their stores with one being Hemmingway's at Springfield.

kingchef Feb 23, 2014 8:48 AM

just a curious thought. it would be interesting to know the amount of man hours put into the pyramid building since its initial inception? probably would be more than those of the greatest pyramid at gaza. add in the pr, the extra site preparation, and all peripheral work, i would bet it would be the most expensive building in the city. regardless of the reception it gets from memphians, good or bad, it surely should not require directions to the lost traveler.

i went down there the other night t see the progress of it and the st. jude tower, and a few other locations. just couldn't understand why profressional design people could not come up w/a pleasing and unobtrusive look. i fail to understand why the entrances couldn't have been made of glass or aluminum. the logs just are beyond thought. i ended up completely missing my chance to see the new tower. i was planning on getting a close-up of the gold dome and some different shots of the tower connection, as it seems to get a great deal of discussion by friends. there is talk by some of the staff that a building will be built over the street, after the completion of the tower. too, there is supposedly about another half a billion dollars remaining on construction over the next four years.

Huntsvillenative Feb 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingchef (Post 6464397)
just a curious thought. it would be interesting to know the amount of man hours put into the pyramid building since its initial inception? probably would be more than those of the greatest pyramid at gaza. add in the pr, the extra site preparation, and all peripheral work, i would bet it would be the most expensive building in the city. regardless of the reception it gets from memphians, good or bad, it surely should not require directions to the lost traveler.

i went down there the other night t see the progress of it and the st. jude tower, and a few other locations. just couldn't understand why profressional design people could not come up w/a pleasing and unobtrusive look. i fail to understand why the entrances couldn't have been made of glass or aluminum. the logs just are beyond thought. i ended up completely missing my chance to see the new tower. i was planning on getting a close-up of the gold dome and some different shots of the tower connection, as it seems to get a great deal of discussion by friends. there is talk by some of the staff that a building will be built over the street, after the completion of the tower. too, there is supposedly about another half a billion dollars remaining on construction over the next four years.

They probably work about the average any job does nowadays due to these labor laws they have. Back in the ancient days, they would work 7 days a week, day and night until it was time to eat and go to bed. Now they end a day before the sun goes down. That's why it now takes much longer to complete a project than in the past.

Johnny Ryall Feb 25, 2014 12:41 AM

Memphis Islamic Center plans $6.5M expansion
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:

The three-phase, 63,144-square-foot project will eventually include an indoor gym, exercise rooms, classrooms, a daycare area, a library and more worship space
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ife-build.html

Pickering Firm Inc.
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/204357...c-center-2.jpg

kingchef Feb 25, 2014 8:12 AM

i believe it is bad business practice to place a low income housing unit right in the midst of a development w/ this much capital investment. otjrer signs are never put up for the public to view, nor do the sites that have announcements really give information or descriptions of what the project will be. it is a bit like putting a bouquet of roses in a "shit house." this is one of the comments made regarding the greenlaw apts. that kind of planning is a big turn-off to the average to uppper income folk. citizens ask over and over for the businesses that they would like to have in their neighborhoods, yet they are continually find they are dismissed by the powers that be.

one other comment about some of the articles i read this afternoon has to do w/ the 25-45 or 50% requirement of new businesses (including electroux, etc.) giving minority businesses of women and ethic groups part of the new firms business in construction, etc. i have yet to see anyone representing the royal phoenix group or the indigo group explain why they are 3 and 4 years holding up projects already approved for construction. to me, this is one of several issues that rise to the top, when progress is attempted on public work and public-private projects. delays getting captial, piece-milling, and the like is exactly why venture capitalists, investment groups, and developers are weary of these widely applicable restrictions. too, i agree w/ one poster, who stated that memphis made itself look cheap, when reporters and newspapers get on their bully pulpits to tell memphians and anybody else who will listen how poor memphis finds itself all the time. if not poor, then the city looks cheap,etc. personally, i don't think memphis is necessarily cheap, because it usually has huge pricetags of public works waterfront, the forum, the baseball stadium, and others. memphis shouldn't bare all the blame, because the rest of the state seems more concerned about what goes on in memphis than memphians. that covers projects, funding, schools, population, etc. etc.

Chris Warren Feb 25, 2014 9:31 PM

I Agree

arkitekte Feb 25, 2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingchef (Post 6466931)
too, i agree w/ one poster, who stated that memphis made itself look cheap, when reporters and newspapers get on their bully pulpits to tell memphians and anybody else who will listen how poor memphis finds itself all the time. if not poor, then the city looks cheap,etc. personally, i don't think memphis is necessarily cheap, because it usually has huge pricetags of public works waterfront, the forum, the baseball stadium, and others. memphis shouldn't bare all the blame, because the rest of the state seems more concerned about what goes on in memphis than memphians. that covers projects, funding, schools, population, etc. etc.

The particular issue of Memphis feeling or looking cheap is in direct correlation to those high price tags that you mentioned which have accompanied the public works projects. Build it and they'll come...yes, but you have to question what one needs to build. Promoting infrastructure and the cohesive development of neighborhoods would put various sections of Memphis years ahead of their current state.

It is also directly connected to the State's concern with the financial and educational positions that Memphis is currently in. In most cases, private developers not only develop their own individual properties, but somewhat unknowingly develop entire blocks that form small neighborhoods. While there might be one development company that controls the rights to property, it's actually developed by multiple people. The commercial/retail world generally takes not of this and then proceeds to do their own thing in that neighborhood as do other developers. Many developers aren't worried about the financial situation of actually building their project, they're worried about not selling units and facing their building sitting among buildings that are only alive from 8AM-5PM (downtown Memphis).

From what we've discussed in the past, we all know that the private sector isn't necessarily going to spend money downtown, however in most situations it takes the public sector or in many situations the city government itself to step forward and initiate a boom. Nashville is a perfect example of this. This is the example where the city needs to be proactive in finding ways to bring money into downtown. The Forum helps, but honestly Beale Street Landing and Autozone Park (I love AZP, the design, atmosphere, etc.) are perfect examples of a waste of money, IMO. I'm currently not, nor never will be convinced that Beale Street Landing will generate any type of economic impact that will remotely offset the roughly $50 MIL that it took to construct it.

The city should focus on maximizing the use of the Forum (once major concert each month isn't going to cut it), raising the amount of hotel nights that are needed in downtown (new convention center), and offering tax incentives to developers and employers to move jobs downtown. That is the only way that downtown will stop looking "cheap".

The roughly $50 MIL that has been spent on Beale Street Landing could have gone a long way toward all three of those.

kingchef Feb 25, 2014 11:34 PM

i agree w/ most of your argument. i do take exception to downtown looks cheap. i used the word that was used in the first argument by ark, i believe, and i may have misunderstood, however, i don't think the city as a whole appears cheap, but i think there is not enough leadership and developers w/ the "eye". the riverfront and walkway is nice, but where is the 48 something million dollars visually. really, who can see it, until you get right up on the focus, which i assume is the cafe. i look around at all of the surface parking lots and all of the areas that are open, and i wonder "why"? the same designs in building apts, the same look in strip businesses, and so. the cookie cutter business physical plant, just as the cookie cutter house plans all over america. i guess i really was excited to see the proposed development involving the victorian section of midtown. i mean this as a compliment, which is not to be taken that no one else but a queen could do it, but i think the milikin institute, according to the statement of elements for the growing city, requires the inclusion of a creative class of gays. that is what i think needs to happen to downtown.

DoomJ Feb 27, 2014 4:57 PM

Here it is, everyone.

100 North Main to become apartments, hotel in $100M redevelopment

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...nts-hotel.html

Quote:

The owners of the 100 N. Main office tower in Downtown Memphis plan to spend $100 million turning the building into apartments and a hotel.

The ownership group's managing member, Isaac Thomas, said the 20-30 tenants have until June 1 to vacate the 436,280-square-foot building so construction can begin this year on 250 apartment units and a 170-room hotel.

Thomas said he expects to line up a brand to operate the hotel, which will be on floors nine through 19, in the next two weeks. The hotel will also reopen and operate the building's rooftop restaurant.
Also, I've been compiling my recent photos and should have a new thread soon. Probably want to go out for a few more this weekend, first.

DoomJ Feb 27, 2014 5:21 PM

Also, I asked the business journal via twitter if they'd have any renderings or information soon regarding changes to the building's exterior- they said they'll have that soon.

James Owen Feb 27, 2014 5:36 PM

Wow. I don't think any of us saw that one coming.

Hopefully, the finished product will be worth the money being spent and encourage some more capital investments down the road for downtown.

arkitekte Feb 27, 2014 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Owen (Post 6471531)
Wow. I don't think any of us saw that one coming.

Hopefully, the finished product will be worth the money being spent and encourage some more capital investments down the road for downtown.

Certainly not to this extent. I figured the majority of 100 N. Main's redevelopment would be in the form of commercial space, but this is really good. The addition of residential and hotel space at this point and time will be extremely beneficial to downtown's economy. Hopefully this will lead to more retail as well.

VSRJ Feb 27, 2014 7:48 PM

This is great news! I too wonder if the exterior will be changed at all — it could certainly use an upgrade.

arkitekte Feb 27, 2014 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSRJ (Post 6471830)
This is great news! I too wonder if the exterior will be changed at all — it could certainly use an upgrade.

It depends. They'll have to stay within the Downtown Memphis Commission's Main Street Design Guidelines to a certain height. After that they'll also have to stay with Memphis Landmarks Commission's design guidelines for historic districts, which generally will coincide within the DMC's, however I doubt there will be much at the base that will change.

As far as a re-cladding, if the developers are still pursuing having the tower placed on the NRHP (historic tax credits), then they won't be able to jeopardize the integrity of the architecture. If they only want to have the revolving restaurant at the top placed on the NRHP, then they'll be able to change certain aspects about the tower if they want as long as they stay within the DMC's guidelines, which obviously aren't strict depending on how much money you want to throw around (Bass Pro and the Pyramid's design changes).

VSRJ Feb 27, 2014 11:33 PM

Update on the exterior from the Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...main-building/

Quote:

Everything inside is going to change with an updated modern design. But because the project will seek historic tax credits, the exterior design of the Mid-Century Modern building cannot be altered.

“Obviously, it will look much better with a new paint job and LED lights,” Thomas said.

arkitekte Feb 28, 2014 1:56 AM

Here are a few more articles from the MBJ. Interesting stuff all around. Sorry if one of these has already been posted.

100 N. Main developer faces challenges

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...challenge.html

Quote:

A proposed hotel at 100 N. Main would be a strong project for Downtown, but the combination residential and hotel development has been a nut Memphis developers haven’t been able to crack just yet.
As first reported in MBJ, a development group operating as One Hundred North Main LLC and led by Isaac Thomas is planning to invest $100 million to convert the office building into 266 apartments and a 171-room hotel.
Quote:

Joey Hagan, a principal with Architecture Inc., which has been named the project’s architect, said the model of a hotel and apartments has been successful in other markets because the hotel’s amenities can be used by residents. Hagan said the closest Memphis came to the concept was Number One Beale, which entered the first stages of development in 2005, but was put on hold in 2008 during the recession.
Plans call for the 9th through 17th floors of 100 N. Main to be hotel rooms, with the 18th through 36th floors being residential. The first eight floors include parking, executive office suites, mechanical rooms, hotel services and the lobby. The roof of the building, a 46,000-square-foot plate, will have a swimming pool, an outdoor plaza, green spaces and a lounge. And the 5,600-square-foot revolving restaurant on the top floor will be revived.
Quote:

“The hotel would have to be something unique from what Downtown already offers — it has to have a 'wow' effect for the hotel,” Pinkowski said. “Part of the challenge with 100 N. Main is the size of the building. It’ll need a strong brand and the physical facility will have to be different.”

arkitekte Feb 28, 2014 2:00 AM

Does Downtown need apartments in 100 N. Main?

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ntown-mem.html

Quote:

After months of working behind the scenes, Isaac Thomas and his partners are pulling the trigger on a $100 million redevelopment of 100 N. Main, as I reported today.
But I've had a few people ask me lately if Downtown Memphis can sustain another complex, considering all of the apartment projects that are either under construction or in the works. Especially one with 266 units on top of a 171-room hotel.
The quick answer? Downtown needs apartments. Residential occupancy has risen 17.7 percent to 23,794 in 2013 from 20,212 in 2000, according to the Downtown Memphis Commission, giving the city core an occupancy rate last year of 95 percent.
By the end of this year, Downtown's population is projected to rise to 24,293, according to a report The Nielsen Co. prepared for the Downtown Memphis Commission in 2014.

Johnny Ryall Mar 1, 2014 8:50 PM

The blighted Raleigh Springs Mall is in the early stages of being revitalized
Memphis Flyer

Quote:

The Raleigh Springs Urban Renewal plan, if approved by the Memphis City Council, would turn the lot into a multi-use property with coexisting public and retail space. The plan features a recreational lake and public skate park, as well as a walking trail. It also calls for the relocation of the Raleigh branch library and the Old Allen Road traffic precinct into the property. Both projects have funds set aside for that purpose.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=3620510

Photo: Memphis Flyer
http://www.memphisflyer.com/imager/a...springs2-w.jpg

Wayward Memphian Mar 1, 2014 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall (Post 6474948)
The blighted Raleigh Springs Mall is in the early stages of being revitalized
Memphis Flyer

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/...nt?oid=3620510

Photo: Memphis Flyer
http://www.memphisflyer.com/imager/a...springs2-w.jpg

Hope to see it revitalized. As a kid that grew up between it and Covington Pike, I remember it as the mall that had 4 major anchors, unlike any other in town. It lacked a Carousel or Ice Rink or a Gap, so I guess it was flawed. The MoM had Thalhimer's store and a Service Merchandise in the beginning though, so I guess those could be anchor tenants.

kingchef Mar 3, 2014 9:21 PM

i was looking at some buildings in the indianapolis thread, and my eye caught the project named "indiana square". it is a reclad of glass, i think 34 stories, and it looks very nice. it has that lower mezzanine wrap around the bottom, on the original presentation; however, in the redo, it looks as if it has been shorted, which makes the building look taller and a bit more up to date, imo. again, i think it is very nice, and you don't have to raze everything in the city to sparkle---haslam....! they also have buildings that are being put back into service by adding additional floors to them. it makes all the difference in the world.

i don't remember who said it or where i read it, but supposedly, indianapolis is supposed to be the comparative of memphis, as their infrastructure is allegedly very much alike. i lived there several years, but i guess it didn't really make that much of an impression on me.

Johnny Ryall Mar 5, 2014 8:41 PM

A look inside the redevelopment plans for 100 N. Main
Memphis Biz Journal

Quote:

One Hundred North Main LLC, led by Isaac Thomas, are looking at Hotel Indigo, among other brands, for the 171-room hotel. Hotel Indigo is a brand owned by Atlanta-based InterContinental Hotels Group, which also owns the Holiday Inn brand.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-released.html

Architecture, Inc.
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/211225...in-section.jpg

arkitekte Mar 5, 2014 9:47 PM

The more that I read about the project the more I think that it will do so much for that area of downtown and downtown in general. Residents downtown will help downtown's economy out, but the hotel should improve it greatly, since those people will actually probably be the ones in and out of most restaurants throughout the week. We'll see if this sparks a few more smaller developments that might be proposed or announced between now and the summer.

Johnny Ryall Mar 6, 2014 2:44 PM

New Le Bonheur parking garage to rise in medical district
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:

Le Bonheur Children's Hospital is about to construct a five-level, 760-space parking garage on Manassas between Adams and Washington. The existing parking garage (right, background) will be demolished later this year.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...se-in-medical/

Photo by Thomas Bailey/The Commercial Appeal
http://media.commercialappeal.com/me...arage_t607.jpg

Wayward Memphian Mar 7, 2014 12:14 AM

Saw where American has added three daily nonstop flights to Philly from Memphis. That's a plus.

arkitekte Mar 11, 2014 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian (Post 6482470)
Saw where American has added three daily nonstop flights to Philly from Memphis. That's a plus.

No doubt. They need to work harder on getting service from more low cost carriers and ultra low cost carriers, until then those prices are going to stay sky high.

arkitekte Mar 11, 2014 9:42 PM

Broken pipes highlight challenges at 100 N. Main
There's also a video attached to this article.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ac-thomas.html

Quote:

Waiting for an elevator in One Hundred North Main with the building's owner, Isaac Thomas, I eyed the built-in ashtrays on the walls between the elevators.

"Those staying?" I asked doubtfully, considering the $100 million redevelopment planned by Thomas and his partners that, as I reported a week ago today, will give the building 266 apartments and 171 hotel rooms.

"No," Thomas replied. "Everything will be new."
Quote:

The frozen pipes that burst Tuesday, bringing dirty water cascading into the building's lobby, kind of nailed that point home for me. Bringing the building up to snuff won't be easy, as we highlighted in another recent article.
Quote:

"Our primary goal is to increase the number of people Downtown," he told me, adding that this project would certainly accomplish that.

One of the ways the developers may offset the cost is to seek incentives from the DMC – something Morris said hasn't happened yet, although there have been "extensive discussions."

Chris Warren Mar 12, 2014 1:13 AM

Personally I see The First Tennessee Bank Tower being renovated like One Indiana Square since the building has pretty big glass windows and the company is adding more locations in other states which well eventually move some more employees to its national headquarters.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6079...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Before
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

After
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Chris Warren Mar 12, 2014 1:25 AM

County Comission approves Sears Crosstown Funding

The Memphis Business Journal
Quote:

The redevelopment of the Sears Crosstown Building has received the “last major piece” of funding that will allow the project to begin.

The Shelby County Commission voted Monday to earmark $5 million for infrastructure improvements

The $180 million project will redevelop the 1.5 million square foot structure, which sits on 18 acres. Crosstown LLC, which acquired the property in 2007 can now begin construction on apartments, 20 percent of which will be affordable housing, located on the upper levels. The project will also include offices for multiple organizations including ALSAC, Church Health Center, Crosstown Arts, Gestalt Community Schools, Methodist Healthcare, Memphis Teacher Residency, Rhodes College and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

According to the Commercial Appeal, the funding was approved with a vote of 11-1 after a two hour discussion that was sometimes tense, and at one point almost veered toward delaying the vote.

In December, the Memphis City Council voted to approve$15 million, its portion of infrastructure improvements.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6079...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Chris Warren Mar 12, 2014 9:18 PM

Memphis City Council approves $66M Raleigh Springs Mall redevelopment

The Memphis Business Journal
Quote:

The Memphis City Council has unanimously approved moving several city offices to the dilapidated Raleigh Springs Mall as part of an urban renewal plan.

The Council voted Tuesday on the $66 million plan, which will mean construction of a new Memphis Police traffic precinct to replace the nearby Old Allen station and a public library, as we reported in April 2013.

Other uses include a farmers market, a skate park and a recreational lake and walking trails, the report said.

The plans, as first proposed, call for a $30 million private investment that will add 100,000 square feet of retail space.

The mall's current tenants would be relocated to another part of the mall during demolition, according to an earlier report.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Here is a link to a animated proposal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPznLQ-Z81I

kingchef Mar 13, 2014 11:35 PM

thanks cris, the video is almost necessary to understand that much re/and construction. i',m glad the presenter added that last defining part of the reason buildings should be razed, when they reach the 10% or higher cost runs, e.g. unless it is designated as a historical national structure or significant site placement.

the idea of moving city employees is a bit contrary to the benefit of the desired occupancy in downtown spaces. the last thing that i had heard about the downtown government employees and space seemed to come from mayor wharton and his kicking around the idea of placing employees from buildings that were scattered in various areas of downtown, consolidating them in the hill bldg. i think this is a good idea, if the fbi suggestion didn't fly. finally, a city the size of memphis should have a beautiful library downtown (the old police station), if i were king, would surely be used. i would even love to see it converted into an elegant ballroom, etc., or even a church. any arguments, corrections, or info welcomed.

Huntsvillenative Mar 13, 2014 11:59 PM

Whatever happened to the relocation of the Hard Rock Cafe to the former Lansky's building? Did that fall through?

Wayward Memphian Mar 14, 2014 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6493305)
Whatever happened to the relocation of the Hard Rock Cafe to the former Lansky's building? Did that fall through?

Don't think it did, the original details announcement was cancelled due to weather issues and they just haven't rescheduled it.

Hard Rock Café is putting in an eatery near the indoor amusement park segment of Mall of America in Minny.

Since you're from Huntsville, noticed that B-Ham's Alabama Adventure got bought by some of the Koch's that operated Holiday World till recently. That's a huge win for B-Ham, they will run that place right.

Huntsvillenative Mar 17, 2014 4:21 PM

I just saw on the Memphis Daily News site that Hard Rock and Yates filed for a building permit for construction. I would assume this is for the relocation of the Hard Rock Cafe. But strange that no press conference was made beforehand.

chris08876 Mar 17, 2014 4:42 PM

Some pretty good developments going up.

chris08876 Mar 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Airport's $114M redesign will take until 2020

Quote:

Memphis International Airport will begin closing gates this year as part of a $114 million consolidation and redesign following Delta Air Lines Inc.'s broad cutbacks last year.
To see what the newly renovated Concourse B will look like, check out this slideshow.
The removal of the south end of Concourse A is expected to begin in late 2014, with the removal of the south end of Concourse C in mid-2015, according to the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority. Airlines should begin moving to Concourse B by mid-2015. The project will not affect airfares.
As part of the consolidation, the airport will reduce its number of gates from 83 to 60, but will increase the number of flights per gate to five or six a day from three, said Vice President of Operations John Greaud.
Beginning in 2016, Concourse B will undergo a three-phase modernization project that will be complete by 2020.

Smaller upgrades of the airport, including terminal apron reconstruction, are already underway. The apron project, which is replacing aging concrete near Concourse B, will enter its final phase this year.
Also, as I reported last night, the MSCAA has already taken out a $400,000 building permit for a new shell space in the airport's west connection for the Transportation Safety Administration, currently in the soon-to-close south end of Concourse A.
===============================
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...urbanarch.html

chris08876 Mar 17, 2014 4:45 PM

Delete, duplicate

kingchef Mar 17, 2014 10:55 PM

these decisions were made as long ago as 2008, for the most part. it is pretty much a self-full-feeling prophecy, imo. it seems as little analysis has been considered concerning the location of the airport. you would think that it would make perfect sense for it to grow and advance the city. what was all of the building, the implementation of tracon, the new runways, and the other improvements, even the new high tech control terminal. just about the time it was finished, furnished classroom and illustrators for pilots, the pilots move their operations to atl. why build a new bridge at the end of the south runways, if there is really no traffic? over 11 million passengers flown in 2004----4.6 something at the end of 2013...makes no sense. when i read the long term projections concerning mem inter last year or right near the end of 2012, i pretty much knew that decisions had been made long ago and, the dye was cast. memphis seems to always take the hit. cox put out, w/ the caveat "if the current growth continues", by the year 2025 to 2030 the airport should be carrying such and such passengers. if the game were played fairly, memphis would handle as much traffic as necessary. how does all of this play out for the aeropolis concept, continued growth as a leader in logistics, the biomed industry. what has happened to the research park? wharton's statements about it and the urban land institute and the recommendations, as memphis asked them for a consult. the first statements out of their mouths...reduce, reduce, redefine to something else, after 7 years of waiting for a world class research campus. it just seems nuts. it is certainy disappointing. now, instead of placing city employees and services in downtown, mr. wharton wants to put them in old malls and one other place. we had just heard the week before how costly and ineffective, if above 10%, it was to keep old buildings. now, between the mayor of memphis and haslam, they can make sure that memphis stays on course to be the scratch-n-sniff city. as for the indigo hotel, wasn't there a minority group which was finishing a renovation, after 3 years? i think it is on the east side of the square, and the last time i checked, i was told it would be opened in about 3 months. that was almost a year ago. what has happened?

arkitekte Mar 19, 2014 2:56 AM

A conference center at the Peabody Place Mall?
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/25...#axzz2wFOj9xar

Quote:

DOWNTOWN MEMPHIS, Tenn. (FOX13) -
A conference center at The Peabody would cost a lot less than a new convention center.

The mayor didn't talk about a dollar figure but if he did, one councilman would tell the mayor to show him the money.

No one walks the grand stairs of the Peabody Place Mall. It's been closed for years. What do with it? Mayor Wharton proposes to make it a conference center.

"Most of your traffic when it comes to conventions and meetings would be a niche market for us," said Wharton.

A new conference center might be an economical alternative to the proposed 60 million dollar rehabilitation of the existing convention center.

Mayor Wharton said, "Keep in mind, it's The Peabody. It has the name. It is already there and the facility is already there."
Quote:

Back when we did a story about the demise of the mall, executives at Belz Enterprises said they had wanted to convert the empty retail space into conference rooms and suites.

It hasn't happened and the mayor's plan may not either, unless his administration can explain how the city will pay for it.

City Councilman Harold Collins said, "When we are a community struggling to fund its pension, struggling to fund its health care, struggling to pay our first responders, struggling to meet our debt, it is a difficult proposition."
Quote:

"We have no details. We have no specifics. Once we get those then we can debate whether or not it's real," said Collins.

One person close to the convention and conference center discussions told me the mayor and Jack Belz, owner of Peabody Place, have only chatted about this idea. Nothing has been agreed upon.

The committee studying the feasibility of a new convention center meets Thursday morning to discuss all options including this new one.

kingchef Mar 19, 2014 7:33 AM

and, as generally the case, this possible idea has just been chatted about, but always, seemingly, w/ the same players, and generally the same results. it usually takes about 6 years to finish a memphis project, if it actually is ever built, because it seems that most of them are never workable or have people that simply don't have a vested interest in getting things done for memphis citizens, perhaps one or two out of six are finished eventually. never a sense of urgency to get the 9.6% unemployment.