SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

G.S MTL Apr 14, 2017 2:56 PM

Lol here we go ...bashing YUL ...anyway I know where we stand so it don't bother me what she says.

thenoflyzone Apr 15, 2017 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedog (Post 7772681)
I would dare say that comparing percentage increases is a better way and would allow comparisons to multiple airports.

February and YTD totals, with percentages. (YOW has March numbers as well, so I included those)

YYZ

Feb 3,264,526 +4.2%
YTD 6,805,688 +7.1%

YVR

Feb 1,648,480 +3.4%
YTD 3,439,527 +6.8%

YUL

Feb 1,255,229 +2.5%
YTD 2,591,128 +4.2%

YYC

Feb 1,192,293 -0.1%
YTD 2,426,612 +1.06%

YEG

Feb 578,076 -3.0%
YTD 1,179,797 -1.6%

YOW

Feb 382,001 -3.3%
YTD Feb 763,773 -1.1%

March 421,554 +0.6%
YTD March 1,185,327 -0.5%

speedog Apr 15, 2017 2:45 PM

Thanks thenoflyzone, providing percentages for a variety of Canada's more major airports just gives one a more rounded look at what's happening in Canada's aviation scene.

LeftCoaster Apr 17, 2017 5:58 PM

What in the world is going on at YOW? Those are some pretty poor numbers.

MalcolmTucker Apr 17, 2017 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7775486)
What in the world is going on at YOW? Those are some pretty poor numbers.

Well, in 2017 February had 3.57% less days. :cool:

Makes every airport look a bit better.

SpongeG Apr 17, 2017 6:54 PM

where is YOW?

OTSkyline Apr 17, 2017 8:19 PM

YOW is Ottawa International Airport. Our airport, being squeeze right in between the monsters YYZ and YUL, keeps getting flight cuts and less trans border destinations in favor of more and more flights to Montreal or Toronto... So we get pushed to one of the two and then have to connect from there :(

p_xavier Apr 17, 2017 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTSkyline (Post 7775636)
YOW is Ottawa International Airport. Our airport, being squeeze right in between the monsters YYZ and YUL, keeps getting flight cuts and less trans border destinations in favor of more and more flights to Montreal or Toronto... So we get pushed to one of the two and then have to connect from there :(

I'd rather take a VIA train to YUL than go through YOW. It doesn't add much to my travel time from DT Ottawa.

jmt18325 Apr 17, 2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_jeffrey (Post 7775700)
I'd rather take a VIA train to YUL than go through YOW. It doesn't add much to my travel time from DT Ottawa.

That wouldn't really make much sense if you're connecting though.

Canadian74 Apr 17, 2017 11:08 PM

Is Cathay HKG-YYZ 10 weekly year round?

LeftCoaster Apr 17, 2017 11:10 PM

Yep, 10xPW in the winter and double daily in the summer.

Canadian74 Apr 17, 2017 11:42 PM

Double daily, that's nice....

thenoflyzone Apr 26, 2017 5:53 PM

We can't have this thread slide down to the second page !

Some updates for this summer. As a result of CA sending the high density 2 class B77W to LHR in July and August, PEK-YVR (CA997/998) will be operated by A333 instead of B77W during the same period.

Updates for winter 2017/2018

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-26apr17/


Air Canada in recent weeks made initial adjustment to its winter 2017/18 operation, effective from 29OCT17. As of 26APR17, initial changes as follow.

Montreal – Lyon A330-300 operates on year-round basis, replacing 767. Service operates 3 weekly instead of 4, from 06NOV17 to 13DEC17
Toronto – Madrid A330-300 operates 3 times a week, replacing 787-8 in winter season. Service does not operate from 06JAN18 to 22FEB18 (Initial listing displaying service resumes from March 2018)
Toronto – Mumbai 4th weekly service will be maintained, operating on year-round basis. 787-9 service
Toronto – Seoul Incheon
28OCT17 – 13DEC17 Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly, Boeing 787-8 service
31JAN18 – 04MAR18 777-300ER replaces 787-8, 1 daily

Vancouver – Brisbane 787-8 continues to operate during Northern winter season, replacing -9

Previously reported changes:
Toronto – Copenhagen 4 weekly service operated by A330-300, instead of planned 787-9
Toronto – Tokyo Haneda 31JAN18 – 04MAR18 787-9 replaces 777-300ER, 1 daily

Canadian74 Apr 26, 2017 6:18 PM

What's the India bilateral like?
Can AC expand beyond the current peak season 14 weekly (7x YYZ-DEL, 4x YYZ-BOM, 3x YVR-DEL) if they wanted??

speedog Apr 26, 2017 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTSkyline (Post 7775636)
YOW is Ottawa International Airport. Our airport, being squeeze right in between the monsters YYZ and YUL, keeps getting flight cuts and less trans border destinations in favor of more and more flights to Montreal or Toronto... So we get pushed to one of the two and then have to connect from there :(

The YEG and YOW peeps need to get together and start to compare notes, YEG is pretty much experiencing the same thing to YYC and YVR. There is most likely no easy fix and I suspect YYC could be in the same boat in the future as well.

wave46 Apr 27, 2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedog (Post 7785966)
The YEG and YOW peeps need to get together and start to compare notes, YEG is pretty much experiencing the same thing to YYC and YVR. There is most likely no easy fix and I suspect YYC could be in the same boat in the future as well.

Re: YOW - I don't think there is a quick fix, unfortunately. No airline makes their hub at YOW, so there's no reason to concentrate flights there. It's very close (and likely more profitable) for Air Canada, Westjet and Air Transat to fly people to their hubs at YYZ and YUL.

The second knock is that YUL is so close by road that driving is a reasonably feasible option. The best YOW can hope for is that congestion at YYZ will nudge Air Canada and Westjet to move some routes back there (making routes a little more point-to-point), the US regional airlines make a business case for increased service to their parent's US hubs and that a smaller long-range aircraft like the Airbus A321neoLR can make something like an Ottawa-Frankfurt or Ottawa-Paris flight work year round.

Re: YEG - it has 2 major strikes against it:
1. Geography: Calgary is more naturally suited to hub status as it lies closer to the east-west optimal flight routing and has the Rocky Mountains tourist draw to help. I don't think YVR really competes with YYC, it kind of does its own thing on the west coast. Vancouver is a good transit point for transpacific flights.
2. Calgary is the main base for Westjet.

Neither of these is the city of Edmonton's fault, nor is it some sort of secret anti-Edmonton conspiracy by the airlines. I maintain that supporting a third domestic airline (e.g. NewLeaf), encouraging American carriers to reconsider services from Edmonton to US airports and enticing European/Asian airlines that aren't affiliated with Star Alliance to locate there would be the optimal solution to help build traffic.

thenoflyzone Apr 27, 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian74 (Post 7785961)
What's the India bilateral like?
Can AC expand beyond the current peak season 14 weekly (7x YYZ-DEL, 4x YYZ-BOM, 3x YVR-DEL) if they wanted??

The Canada-India bilateral seems pretty restrictive.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/india

For Canadian carriers, 2100 seats/week to DEL or BOM, plus 2 additional frequencies a week to DEL or CCU.

For Indian carriers, 2100 seats/week to YYZ or YUL, plus 2 additonal frequencies a week to YVR or YEG.

In the last 10 years, India has added YOW and YYC to the list of destinations that can be served, but it is unclear under what capacity/rights.

The last amendment on that bilateral agreement is from 2011, but there might have been more rights negotiated between now and then.

LeftCoaster Apr 28, 2017 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 7786388)
I don't think YVR really competes with YYC, it kind of does its own thing on the west coast. Vancouver is a good transit point for transpacific flights.

YVR does not really compete with YYC on domestic flights due to it's poor location as a domestic transit hub but it very much does compete with YYC on transborder and international flights, especially westbound (Asia, Hawaii and California) but even to Europe or eastern Canada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7787540)
The Canada-India bilateral seems pretty restrictive.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/india

For Canadian carriers, 2100 seats/week to DEL or BOM, plus 2 additional frequencies a week to DEL or CCU.

For Indian carriers, 2100 seats/week to YYZ or YUL, plus 2 additonal frequencies a week to YVR or YEG.

In the last 10 years, India has added YOW and YYC to the list of destinations that can be served, but it is unclear under what capacity/rights.

The last amendment on that bilateral agreement is from 2011, but there might have been more rights negotiated between now and then.

Strange that YUL is the main seat focus not YVR considering the large Indian diaspora in Vancouver Vs Montreal.

Not sure I expect Air India to fly Canada any time soon though, even though they have mentioned it a few times lately.

Canadian74 Apr 28, 2017 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7787540)
The Canada-India bilateral seems pretty restrictive.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/india

For Canadian carriers, 2100 seats/week to DEL or BOM, plus 2 additional frequencies a week to DEL or CCU.
For Indian carriers, 2100 seats/week to YYZ or YUL, plus 2 additonal frequencies a week to YVR or YEG.

Interesting, how does that work??? As both AC and Jet Airways have way more than 2100 seats/week each.

AC (total peak winter 4172 seats/week)

YYZ-DEL 7x 789 (2086 seats)
YYZ-BOM 4x 789 (1192 seats)
YVR-DEL 3x 789 (894 seats)

9W

YYZ-AMS-DEL 7x 77W (2422 seats)


Maybe the seat restriction has been dropped or upgraded

BenTheGreat97 May 2, 2017 6:21 PM

Westjet's 767 replacement plan has been revealed.

10 orders + 10 options for 787-9s. Some firm orders for 737s has been reduced as a result.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3419579/we...xpansion-plan/


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.