SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

bmfarley Jul 24, 2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 2967629)
What project?

The Paseo

I believe it's on hold, or that SDSU administration took the project over from one of their operating departments. I believe a state law some how is playing a role.

stockjock Jul 24, 2007 2:13 AM

Here's an old aerial photo of downtown San Diego from the 60's (?) that I thought you might enjoy.

http://home.san.rr.com/winefinds/sandiegoearly.jpg

Derek Jul 24, 2007 2:51 AM

Nice find! :tup:

spoonman Jul 24, 2007 3:07 AM

I'd probably guess about 1967 or so on that pic. Great find Stockjock!

I found looking at the Marina area to be very interesting. You can see a park where the Marriott and Manchester Grand now sit before the harbor was walled off. You can also make out where Horton Plaza now sits. I'd be interested to see photos of what buildings used to be where Horton now is.

spoonman Jul 24, 2007 3:33 AM

Here's a nice shot from Uptown from the late 1980's

http://www.gast-hillmer.com/images/uptown-1.jpg

Derek Jul 24, 2007 3:33 AM

^Circa 1991. ;)

The Padres are making me sick.

bmfarley Jul 24, 2007 5:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockjock (Post 2968369)
Here's an old aerial photo of downtown San Diego from the 60's (?) that I thought you might enjoy.

http://home.san.rr.com/winefinds/sandiegoearly.jpg

Wow! things have certainly changed in 40 years!

spoonman Jul 24, 2007 7:16 AM

Where the F is everybody??? Damn slow news day!!!

mello Jul 24, 2007 8:25 AM

This news on the far east village is very promising. I really hope that 15th and Island does get rolling. And interesting point on the East Village office space thing too. I mean what if someone built a quality 500 foot office tower over there similar to say the MGM Plaza or Suntrust building in Century City?? I think that would be perfect for East Village.

Something modern, classy etc. That MGM building is nice, I mean for a 500 footer it looks damn good. If there was one 500 footer I could take from LA that would definitely be it.

keg92101 Jul 24, 2007 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdperry (Post 2967141)
Since I bought in Sherman Heights I've been talking with people on the Historic Resources board. Here is an excerpt from a member's email:

"Hey, some good news coming your way: CCDC has agreed to pay for
lighting on the Island and J Street bridges over I-5 from Sherman
Heights to the East Village. I took Nancy Graham and CCDC staffers on
a long walking tour last month to see how we can better work together
on mutually beneficial items. CCDC agreed to take responsibility to
add lighting, plus we're seeing if we can get "landscaping" (i.e.,
maybe potted trees) and pedestrian pop-outs for greater safety. This
lighting will help squash any dumping or bad news on those bridges,
plus make it safer when we walk to the ballpark. The bid for this work
will out out in about January 2008, with results starting in about
April 2008. I'll keep you posted on that. We're also trying to get
CCDC to buy the lot at 19th & Island for a gated park, since the
decking over the highway for parkland is in the Downtown Community Plan
Update."

It's good to see that CCDC cares about the safety of those bridges, because it means they care about a walkable neighborhood and connecting to the surrounding areas. It's a great step, but I can't wait for those freeway lids! However, since they require federal money, it could 10-15 years before those get built. I need to ask her if the work CCDC is planning for April 2008 included replacing the fences on those overpasses too, because they sorely need it.

This is actually very upsetting to me. As a resident of East Village, and the number of public works project that our community requires, (cross walks, street cleaning, grafiti removal) it is absurd that CCDC would even consider using our tax dollars to fund your desires. The reason why that area, (Sherman Heights, Logan Heights, Grant Hill etc.) cannot afford to maintain its ifrastructure, is because the community leaders will not accept higher densities to support it. Downtown can afford street repair/improvement because we have the density to support it.

By the way, there is no way CCDC would ever by a plot of land for a gated park in that area. For one, there is an SRO hotel across the street, and it would turn in to a drug hang-out. Second, if Sherman Heights can't even afford to pay for basic street upkeep, how are they going to pay for the maintenance of that park. Redevelopment law does not allow CCDC to pay for any maintenance, even within downtown.

Believe me, I would love to see that area revitalized as well as you would, but the community leaders need to accept the fact that it cannot flourish as a single family neighborhood and bring in moderate densities (50-100 DU / ACRE)

CHEERS

sdperry Jul 24, 2007 3:40 PM

I understand your points KEG92101, but there are a couple of major flaws in your assumptions. The overpasses are not part of Sherman Heights infrastructure! They are "no mans land" since they go over a federal highway. CCDC has the money, and has a vested interest in safety, so they are paying for something that helps the East Village as much as it helps Sherman Heights. I agree with you though on the buying of the lot and making it a park. I don't think that will happen.
And I'm not sure why you assume Sherman Heights is against density. Is it because there isn't a much of it currently? There are 2 proposed projects that will add a lot of density. The first is a huge 3 block mixed use-retail and condo project along Imperial between 20th and 22nd. It's going through design review. The other is just behind it on Commercial.
Golden Hill has managed to have higher density projects within a single-family neighborhood. Why couldn't SH? Density isn't the issue, it just has a lower tax base because of older homes and low assesments. Look how far Golden-Hill has come in 10 years. I can see that happening with Sherman Heights now. I think Grant-Hill and Logan Heights will take longer, but they are next. No one is asking for you tax dollars to pay for SH improvements, it will happen naturally.

keg92101 Jul 24, 2007 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdperry (Post 2969343)
I understand your points KEG92101, but there are a couple of major flaws in your assumptions. The overpasses are not part of Sherman Heights infrastructure! They are "no mans land" since they go over a federal highway. CCDC has the money, and has a vested interest in safety, so they are paying for something that helps the East Village as much as it helps Sherman Heights. I agree with you though on the buying of the lot and making it a park. I don't think that will happen.
And I'm not sure why you assume Sherman Heights is against density. Is it because there isn't a much of it currently? There are 2 proposed projects that will add a lot of density. The first is a huge 3 block mixed use-retail and condo project along Imperial between 20th and 22nd. It's going through design review. The other is just behind it on Commercial.
Golden Hill has managed to have higher density projects within a single-family neighborhood. Why couldn't SH? Density isn't the issue, it just has a lower tax base because of older homes and low assesments. Look how far Golden-Hill has come in 10 years. I can see that happening with Sherman Heights now. I think Grant-Hill and Logan Heights will take longer, but they are next. No one is asking for you tax dollars to pay for SH improvements, it will happen naturally.

I sure hope so. However, curent zoning does not allow for dense projects. The "large project" on the S.D. Unified School District land is under 40 DU per acre! That does not tip the scale, nor can it support adequate public services. The root of the problem with the City of San Diego, is our sprawling development. Our public services are stretched. Sherman Heights, etc, needs to update their community plan and re-zone the areas as higher densities. That doesn't necessarily mean high rises, as you can have very dense neighborhoods without highrises (North Beach / Nob Hill in SF and Greenwich / West Village in NYC, both of which are over 200 DU per acre). Without this change, the area will continue to limp along.

eburress Jul 25, 2007 1:33 AM

I don't recall anyone posting this over here, so here's the NBC project's latest iteration.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...es/navy430.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...es/navy430.gif

It could be a little taller (add 10 stories to each building), but overall I think it's pretty sharp.

Derek Jul 25, 2007 2:02 AM

^It was on page 82, but good looking out! :tup:

But yes, I do think it is an overall nice project. It isn't blow my mind great, but I do think it serves as a good "gateway" to the city.

ShekelPop Jul 25, 2007 2:23 AM

Navy Broadway
There are the additional renderings taken off of CCDC's project page (the latest files on 7/02/07, both the master plan and the Phase 1 document). http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseac...ts.navycomplex

I'm having trouble posting photos at the moment if someone wants to pull those off of there in the meantime.

eburress Jul 25, 2007 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2970531)
^It was on page 82, but good looking out! :tup:

But yes, I do think it is an overall nice project. It isn't blow my mind great, but I do think it serves as a good "gateway" to the city.

Dangit - it got sunk in all that floating airport BS! hahahaha

Well, after looking at the closeups in the PDFs, I REALLY like the latest look of the project! I still wish it were taller, but I still dig it!

Derek Jul 25, 2007 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 2970555)
Navy Broadway
There are the additional renderings taken off of CCDC's project page (the latest files on 7/02/07, both the master plan and the Phase 1 document). http://www.ccdc.com/index.cfm/fuseac...ts.navycomplex

I'm having trouble posting photos at the moment if someone wants to pull those off of there in the meantime.

I seriously want NEVP to start.:(

spoonman Jul 25, 2007 6:56 AM

^^^ I don't get what all the hoopla is about. No offense, but isn't NEVP just a patch of grass with a glorified Seaport Village slammed in the middle. I'd rather see the money go to putting in traffic lights in the East Village...lol

HurricaneHugo Jul 25, 2007 7:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdperry (Post 2969343)
There are 2 proposed projects that will add a lot of density. The first is a huge 3 block mixed use-retail and condo project along Imperial between 20th and 22nd. It's going through design review. The other is just behind it on Commercial.

Do you have any renders of these projects? I grew up in SH so i'm interested to see any new projects coming up.:)

The first project sounds like it'll be right in front of the El Bazar/Farmer's Market, or even replacing it?

SDCAL Jul 25, 2007 3:48 PM

NBC - does anyone else think 5 hotels in a four-block development is too much? This is prime waterfront land and it is going to be a playground for tourists, nothing those of us that live here can enjoy :(

As Derek said, the building are nice but nothing mind-blowing. the project is good for downtown but for this particular location I think it could be much better and much more creative. with lane field nearby adding two other hotels, this will be 8 new hotels lining out waterfront - - do we really want our waterfront area to be tourist-central???