SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

KAO79 Dec 26, 2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8392680)
Perhaps Fog City has realized its sorta a lost cause to build a stand alone restaurant outside of the mall when Cineplex are building a huge indoor restaurant and entertainment mecca next door to its cinemas called the Rec Room. Plus there are so many other competitive options along Kenmount Road.

I’ve heard from a few people now that Fog City isn’t moving into their own space, but closing their Avalon Mall location all together. Once the Rec Room is open, they will be in direct competition and won’t be able to keep up.

wmemeadusjr Jan 2, 2019 12:15 PM

I heard that the soon to be empty Dooly's space on water street won't be empty for long. The word is that Dollarama will be setting up shop in that space.

J_Murphy Jan 2, 2019 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8423575)
I heard that the soon to be empty Dooly's space on water street won't be empty for long. The word is that Dollarama will be setting up shop in that space.

Please tell me this is a joke.

statbass Jan 2, 2019 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO79 (Post 8419295)
I’ve heard from a few people now that Fog City isn’t moving into their own space, but closing their Avalon Mall location all together. Once the Rec Room is open, they will be in direct competition and won’t be able to keep up.

Does Fog City have a location outside of the Avalon Mall? May be I'm misreading your post. Either way, I wonder if Fog City is thinking of setting up shop elsewhere in the city.

statbass Jan 2, 2019 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8423638)
Please tell me this is a joke.

Oh brother....:uhh:

wmemeadusjr Jan 2, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8423653)
Does Fog City have a location outside of the Avalon Mall? May be I'm misreading your post. Either way, I wonder if Fog City is thinking of setting up shop elsewhere in the city.

Fog City has only one location inside the mall. With the Rec Room reno, Fog City was supposed to move to a custom built 2 story location on one of the new corners of the newly realigned intersection. The Golden Phoenix was to move to the opposite corner as the strip mall they are in will be expanded with more retail.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 3, 2019 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO79 (Post 8419295)

I find it kind of odd that they would just throw in the towel. They're doing well enough now as it is, I would expect them to at least give it a go. I think both the Rec Room and Fog City could succeed given the limited options for sit-down food in the mall.

I do think Fog City would be smart enough to know that they would never succeed in a stand-alone restaurant. I'll eat there if I'm at the mall for an extended period of time, but I would never drive there specifically to eat there.

Arrakis Jan 3, 2019 7:12 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I think most would probably agree. I have only ever eaten at Fog City if I was already at the mall for something else whether it be shopping or going to the movies, but I would never make a special trip to just go to Fog City. I also think they realized it would be sorta futile to open a stand-alone on the parking lot when The Rec Room is inside the mall and attached to the cinemas. I would imagine Cineplex will be promoting the The Rec Room big time when it’s opened. You gotta have big money to compete against the other big restaurant chains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8424928)
I find it kind of odd that they would just throw in the towel. They're doing well enough now as it is, I would expect them to at least give it a go. I think both the Rec Room and Fog City could succeed given the limited options for sit-down food in the mall.

I do think Fog City would be smart enough to know that they would never succeed in a stand-alone restaurant. I'll eat there if I'm at the mall for an extended period of time, but I would never drive there specifically to eat there.

Larla77 Jan 4, 2019 3:00 PM

I still miss Pasta Plus when it was in the mall lol. It would be nice to have another option other than the Rec Room for a sit down meal in the mall. If I'm there I'll alone I'll grab something at the food court but my mom (who is a senior) hates the food court so its Fog City if I'm with her. I can't see her liking the Rec Room. Maybe Starbucks will move and expand from their current mall location as after the renovation it won't be by an entrance anymore.

NewfBC Jan 4, 2019 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8425820)
I still miss Pasta Plus when it was in the mall lol. It would be nice to have another option other than the Rec Room for a sit down meal in the mall. If I'm there I'll alone I'll grab something at the food court but my mom (who is a senior) hates the food court so its Fog City if I'm with her. I can't see her liking the Rec Room. Maybe Starbucks will move and expand from their current mall location as after the renovation it won't be by an entrance anymore.

I miss The Strand! :)

But seriously, many malls have multiple eat-in restaurants.. there's no reason the Avalon Mall cannot support both.

Ron.

Engibeer Jan 4, 2019 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 8425846)
I miss The Strand! :)

But seriously, many malls have multiple eat-in restaurants.. there's no reason the Avalon Mall cannot support both.

Ron.

Agreed. For whatever reason, the Avalon Mall seems packed any time I venture near it (and usually keep driving once I see the parking lot). It could definitely support another sit-down restaurant. I'm surprised a ~meh~ franchise like BP's isn't already in-place.

IronMan Jan 5, 2019 5:56 PM

Just wondering when they will be proceeding with the expansion that will extend out into the parking lot outside of Starbucks? I originally thought that it was part of the current work, but I noticed in a couple of news reports that they said that particular expansion will happen 'eventually'. Not sure what this means. Did anyone hear anything re this?

KDMusic Jan 5, 2019 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 8426884)
Just wondering when they will be proceeding with the expansion that will extend out into the parking lot outside of Starbucks? I originally thought that it was part of the current work, but I noticed in a couple of news reports that they said that particular expansion will happen 'eventually'. Not sure what this means. Did anyone hear anything re this?

It's being done in phases. A PDF with tons of details on the malls plans was shared on this page recently. I think the first phase is just the new Winners space + a few additional stores in the hallway connecting new Winners to the mall. Then I think in the spring they are starting to build out in front of that, then finally some time later next year they will build by the Starbucks/CIBC entrance.

eliza Jan 7, 2019 6:06 PM

Lush are advertising on indeed for a sales manager at the Avalon Mall, so I guess that is confirmed.

KDMusic Jan 17, 2019 2:53 PM

Avalon Mall have confirmed on their Facebook that Lush is opening in Spring/Early Summer. Lush also did a press release where it says the store will be 1,777 sq. ft. The only vanacy I can think of in the mall right now is next to The Source which is only 1,350 sq. ft. So I guess that means Lush will be the first store opening in the mall's expansion???

Marty_Mcfly Jan 17, 2019 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8439820)
Avalon Mall have confirmed on their Facebook that Lush is opening in Spring/Early Summer. Lush also did a press release where it says the store will be 1,777 sq. ft. The only vanacy I can think of in the mall right now is next to The Source which is only 1,350 sq. ft. So I guess that means Lush will be the first store opening in the mall's expansion???

Interesting. I'm not sure if the expansion will be completed by spring/summer, so the only current mall stores which come near the 1777 sq. ft. area are Olson Europe (1688) and Northern Reflection (1627). Unless one of them are going to move? I guess only time well tell.

J_Murphy Jan 17, 2019 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 8439989)
Interesting. I'm not sure if the expansion will be completed by spring/summer, so the only current mall stores which come near the 1777 sq. ft. area are Olson Europe (1688) and Northern Reflection (1627). Unless one of them are going to move? I guess only time well tell.

I believe I have figured it out. I noticed the other day that the Aldo accessories store is closed, and I don't think there is anything where Claires accessories is (I'm referring to this map: https://shopavalonmall.com/themes/av...-directory.pdf

Both of these stores combined is 1777 sq. ft. So looks to me like it will be directly across from Sephora.

KDMusic Jan 17, 2019 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8440155)
I believe I have figured it out. I noticed the other day that the Aldo accessories store is closed, and I don't think there is anything where Claires accessories is (I'm referring to this map: https://shopavalonmall.com/themes/av...-directory.pdf

Both of these stores combined is 1777 sq. ft. So looks to me like it will be directly across from Sephora.

I'm pretty sure Claires is still there...? Unless I completely missed that news :haha:

KAO79 Jan 18, 2019 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 8440155)

Claire’s will be moving to another spot in the mall, so Lush will be taking over the Aldo Accessories and Claire’s spots in the Spring.

Fog City is closing at the end of February, and apparemtly Pseudio is moving into the Fog City space.

KDMusic Jan 18, 2019 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAO79 (Post 8440873)
Claire’s will be moving to another spot in the mall, so Lush will be taking over the Aldo Accessories and Claire’s spots in the Spring.

Fog City is closing at the end of February, and apparemtly Pseudio is moving into the Fog City space.

Is Fog City still moving into the parking lot??

I'm kind of surprised about the PSeudio moving part, seems like a weird space for them and I thought for sure that Cineplex would use that space for either the Rec Room or something else.