SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Jul 24, 2013 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 6207835)
http://www.portofsandiego.org/images...lighting_2.jpg

Broadway at harbor looking east.
special light fixture

Speaking of things that are pathetic and drab, I still can't get over the fact that they chose BROWN for Electra's glass color! They turned what should have been a beautiful icon into something more resembling a massive turd.

SDfan Jul 24, 2013 5:19 PM

Nevermind, it appears to be 4 stories. Rendering on the second post.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sunroa...and-hotel.html

SDfan Jul 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6208696)
Speaking of things that are pathetic and drab, I still can't get over the fact that they chose BROWN for Electra's glass color! They turned what should have been a beautiful icon into something more resembling a massive turd.

I like the brown. :P

SDfan Jul 24, 2013 5:23 PM

And here is an article about the current and old proposals, which was 24 stories (last paragraph).

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...d-now-its-not/

tyleraf Jul 24, 2013 5:42 PM

I like the new lights on Broadway they are going to look great when they are done.

IMBY Jul 25, 2013 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6190505)
Something definitely needs to be done in PB, it is looking very run down and tired. It really needs modernization. People from Miami must laugh so hard when they come here and think "this is San Diego's beach community". I'm not calling for high rises like South Florida but I feel they would be acceptable at the Surfrider and Beach Cottages hotel properties. Those two beasts from the 50's are a joke and we could use some nice glassy modern towers there for sure.

My niece & her family from MN just made her first trip out here to CA, having only been to FL, many times over the years, and was expecting to see Florida-type resort developments along the coast and what a surprise! She wanted to treat the family to a coastal resort in San Francisco, near Ocean Beach, and all she could find was a 2-story Days Inn 3 blocks from the beach!:shrug:

I told her that Southern CA wasn't much different!

IMBY Jul 25, 2013 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6195478)
I recently traveled in June and I took the trolley to the bus to the airport. What a fucking joke that was. It's even worse when you come back. Waiting on the curb for the bus after a long flight is terrible. The time it takes to get to Santa Fe Depot was 15+ minutes (which seems like an eternity with all the morons boarding and not having their fare ready), then the wait time for the trolley was lengthy bc it was Sunday. The longest leg of travel was once I got back to SD.

Cabs for me from here on out.

The current system is absolutely terrible.

You've been to Las Vegas? Ever see that dead end stop of the Monorail at the MGM, so close to the Airport? :shrug: Ever wonder why they didn't continue on to the Airport with the Monorail? For an answer to that, direct that question to the powerful, controlling taxi unions in Las Vegas!! Don't want to cut in to their most profitable bread and butter line, do we?

Perhaps it's the taxi unions in San Diego that's the obstacle?

SDfan Jul 25, 2013 4:12 PM

http://www.sddt.com/RealEstate/artic...d#.UfFM3Y2KJ1w

Quote:

Revised plan for part of Ballpark Village unveiled
By THOR KAMBAN BIBERMAN , The Daily Transcript
Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Ballpark Village plan along Park Boulevard, once considered a no-go during the recession, appears poised for a resurrection.

On Tuesday, Ballpark Village LLC -- a joint venture of former Padres owner John Moores’ JMI Realty and Lennar Urban Development -- submitted a preliminary application to Civic San Diego for the initial phase of the major mixed-use plan.

That portion of the proposal -- which has evolved significantly during the past decade -- now calls for a 34-story tower and a six-story podium with 634 multifamily residential units comprised of 274 condominiums, 360 apartments, 52,000 square feet of retail and 1,240 spaces in a three-story underground parking garage. Carrier Johnson + Culture is the project's architect.

This portion of the plan would be situated on a 3.9-acre site near Petco Park bounded by Park Boulevard to the west, Imperial Avenue to the south, the trolley tracks to Library Circle/K Street to the north.

The developers want some changes to city requirements for the site. The application proposes eliminating a required 10-foot building setback both along Park Boulevard and Imperial Avenue, the elimination of a required 15-foot setback along the L Street pedestrian walkway, the elimination of the required 20-foot setback along the 10th Avenue pedestrian walkway, and an increase in the proposed tower width from 100 to 110 feet.

Brad Richter, Civic San Diego assistant vice president of planning, said the developers -- who could not be reached for comment by press time -- hope to get the project under way by late next summer and will either build the development all at once, or will phase its components in depending on market forces.

Richter said the project is eligible for a $24 million state infrastructure grant to cover the cost of parking.

Back in 2005 the original development agreement required Ballpark Village LLC (Lennar and JMI) to construct 164 affordable units offsite if they couldn’t at Ballpark Village.

Richter noted that while these units were constructed at 16th Street and Market, Ballpark Village itself never was.

The adjacent parcel of Ballpark Village is shaped like a rectangle and was proposed for a 1,929-room Marriott (NYSE: MAR)

While this had been billed as the largest hotel proposal on the West Coast, neither the developer nor the operator could get past what were very uncertain economic times 4 ½ years ago.

When asked whether the parcel is still being considered for a hotel, Richter said any number of uses could still be constructed on that portion of the property.

Meanwhile, the project will go through numerous public hearings over the coming months.

First up will be a Downtown Community Planning Council meeting at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, followed by one at an undetermined time during the Civic San Diego Real Estate Committee meeting on Wednesday.

Both meetings will be held in the Civic San Diego offices at 401 B St. Suite 400.

A final public hearing on the project is expected to be heard by Civic San Diego sometime this fall.

SDfan Jul 25, 2013 5:51 PM

haha!

http://sandiego.urbdezine.com/2013/0...fe-in-the-air/

spoonman Jul 26, 2013 3:24 AM

Interesting article on the trolley extension

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/07/2...use-decisions/

Leo the Dog Jul 26, 2013 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6210940)
Interesting article on the trolley extension

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/07/2...use-decisions/

Very interesting article. I'm in favor of the mid-coast extension. I think areas like Hillcrest, NP and PB could be served by streetcar service that connects to the trolley lines.

The Trolley is more of a rapid transit line, (8 stations over 11 miles with no interaction with vehicles in the mid-coast extension).

IconRPCV Jul 26, 2013 6:49 AM

JAL from SD to Tokyo

Just took the JAL service from SD to Tokyo, and it was amazing,I was so proud to arrive in Narita and see San Diego on the departure list with cities like Sydney, Los Angeles, and Hong Kong. I know we all want an airport farther afield so the height limit for downtown will disappear but I don't this will happen. With the advent of the 787 I feel Lindberg is cemented as SD's airport. We can now have direct service to cities all over the world. My flight was sold out with the majority being Japanese families coming to SD for a vacation. i predict another one world code share partner coming to SD soon, my bet is Air Berlin.

Streamliner Jul 26, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 6211100)
Just took the JAL service from SD to Tokyo, and it was amazing,I was so proud to arrive in Narita and see San Diego on the departure list with cities like Sydney, Los Angeles, and Hong Kong. I know we all want an airport farther afield so the height limit for downtown will disappear but I don't this will happen. With the advent of the 787 I feel Lindberg is cemented as SD's airport. We can now have direct service to cities all over the world. My flight was sold out with the majority being Japanese families coming to SD for a vacation. i predict another one world code share partner coming to SD soon, my bet is Air Berlin.

That is awesome, I'm really jealous that you got to take that flight. Are you taking the return as well? I saw a JAL plane land here a couple weeks ago, and I had a similar sense of pride to see something that took off so far away flying right by downtown. We definitely need more long-distance flights like this.

I'd like to see Philippine Airlines expand to San Diego, especially now that the Philippines is getting its safety ratings back. Though I doubt they'd do a nonstop, most likely they'd go through Vancouver.

Bertrice Jul 27, 2013 1:14 AM

here's something
http://www.amanatarchitect.com/kettner/001.jpg
KETTNER

San Diego CA, USA - 2013

The pro­posed de­vel­op­ment con­sists of a 36 story con­crete res­id­en­tial tower with 285 units sur­roun­ded by a four to five level po­di­um above four levels of un­der­ground park­ing. A soar­ing roof form emerges from an in­ner tex­tured glass core of the tower. The roof form re­peats on a de­tached two storey res­id­en­tial amen­ity build­ing on Level 4. This fol­ded form, along with the frames of the po­di­um el­ev­a­tion is a theme con­tin­ued throughout the pro­ject on dif­fer­ent scales from light­ing and pav­ing to trel­lis ele­ments. A pub­lic green­space and large pub­lic art com­pon­ent is planned for A Street which is pro­posed to be closed. 11,550 s.f. Com­mer­cial/re­tail space with its re­lated 10,050 s.f. park­ing/ac­cess­ory func­tions dom­in­ates the ground floor along Ash Street and Kettner Boulevard which will have res­id­en­tial and park­ing uses above. A gen­er­ous res­id­en­tial tower en­trance plaza has been carved out of the Kettner street wall to provide a tran­quil, green and sheltered en­trance for res­id­ents and guests of the 563,400 gsf res­id­en­tial com­pon­ent. A strong street wall along Kettner is provided by the tower as well as the de­tached amen­ity build­ing, with vary­ing po­di­um heights of 42’ to 67’ around the pro­ject. Three levels of above grade park­ing are con­cealed with­in the ar­tic­u­lated po­di­um on the south side of the block. Oth­er ele­ments such as bal­conies, plant­ers, and green walls have been in­tro­duced around the park­ing to cre­ate many pause points for the eye and op­por­tun­it­ies to con­tin­ue the green theme with plant­ing. A con­tinu­ous steel trel­lis is pro­posed along Cali­for­nia Street along the trans­it cor­ridor, provid­ing ped­es­tri­ans with planted vine cov­er above and green walls be­side. The trel­lis tilts up at the corner of A Street to re­spect the high­er trel­lis ele­ment in the ad­ja­cent de­vel­op­ment, and fur­ther along, it tilts up to sig­ni­fy the back en­trance to the tower. All vehicles will enter the pro­ject mid block from Kettner Blvd. Thir­teen com­mer­cial park­ing spaces will be on grade be­hind the re­tail at the south end of the Kettner block, and res­id­ents will con­tin­ue through to ramps up or down to ac­cess their 518 stalls. Two load­ing bays are provided with­in the pro­ject, and com­mer­cial and res­id­en­tial trash is pro­posed to be ac­cessed from with­in the pro­ject. Land­scap­ing plays an im­port­ant role on the ground plane as well as up the po­di­um. A large re­sort style pool deck on Level 4 is over­looked by a two story amen­ity build­ing hous­ing fit­ness and lounge fa­cil­it­ies. This in­de­pend­ent build­ing is served by the tower and is ac­cessed from Level 4, as well as by a roof deck on Level 5. All com­mon areas of the pro­ject have large num­bers of plant­ers, green ver­tic­al planted walls, and trel­lises. Pub­lic plazas have been in­tro­duced at the corners of Ash & Kettner Blvd., as well as A Street and Kettner Blvd., which provide ad­di­tion­al space for po­ten­tial res­taur­ant/café uses. The ex­ist­ing elec­tric­al trans­formers in the middle of A Street are pro­posed to re­main. To en­hance the area, the trans­formers will be screened with a 3d mesh green screen sys­tem, the street is pro­posed to be closed, with lim­ited ac­cess for util­ity main­ten­ance only, and the area turned in­to a pub­lic green­space with up­graded pav­ing, seat­ing and light­ing. The clos­ing of the street presents an op­por­tun­ity for a ma­jor Pub­lic Art state­ment, and we will co­ordin­ate this pro­ject with the over­all pub­lic art mas­ter plan. The concept of the po­di­um is painted con­crete frames of vary­ing thick­ness, in which are dif­fer­ent ma­ter­i­als such as stone, glass, or green screen mesh. All levels of the po­di­um are pro­posed to re­ceive stone ac­cents with­in the painted con­crete frames, either in a cream colored bush hammered lime­stone, or a smooth, honed tex­ture red­dish brown lime­stone. Above the ground floor, three col­ors of painted con­crete will be used to com­ple­ment the stone and glaz­ing. Blue-gray glass with me­di­um gray colored mul­lions is pro­posed for the main body of the tower, while the ac­cents at the top most levels will have beige mul­lions. The tower ac­cents are pro­posed to be cre­ated with beige span­drels of two levels in height in al­tern­at­ing widths and loc­a­tions, com­posed of a pat­terned glass with a 70% dot pat­tern. Ground floor re­tail and lobby spaces will have clear glass in cur­tain wall fram­ing. The large over­hanging con­crete roof struc­tures are pro­posed to be pierced in a pat­tern to com­pli­ment the beige tex­tured glass. Night time views to­wards the tower will be en­livened by a lit rooftop greenscreen which sur­rounds the rooftop mech­an­ic­al func­tions. This sig­na­ture build­ing is de­signed to be a land­mark at the gate­way to the down­town core, en­hance ped­es­tri­an life and to be a pos­it­ive ad­di­tion to the neigh­bor­hood.

spoonman Jul 27, 2013 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 6211798)
That is awesome, I'm really jealous that you got to take that flight. Are you taking the return as well? I saw a JAL plane land here a couple weeks ago, and I had a similar sense of pride to see something that took off so far away flying right by downtown. We definitely need more long-distance flights like this.

I'd like to see Philippine Airlines expand to San Diego, especially now that the Philippines is getting its safety ratings back. Though I doubt they'd do a nonstop, most likely they'd go through Vancouver.

Probably correct about there being a layover/stop. The flights to Manila from LAX stop in Guam to refuel (or at least they did until fairly recently). Vancouver is a good spot to stop as it is actually somewhat "on the way", and would allow the airline to pick up additional pax and fuel.

tyleraf Jul 30, 2013 12:24 AM

For those who we're wondering the new Ballpark Village tower is 390 ft.

tyleraf Jul 30, 2013 12:57 AM

They have begun to place tables in the plaza de panama and more landscaping will be coming in the next few weeks. More info here: http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/07/2...nd-red-square/

aerogt3 Jul 30, 2013 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6211081)
Very interesting article. I'm in favor of the mid-coast extension. I think areas like Hillcrest, NP and PB could be served by streetcar service that connects to the trolley lines.

The Trolley is more of a rapid transit line, (8 stations over 11 miles with no interaction with vehicles in the mid-coast extension).

I'll just drive to hillcrest or PB then, as I imagine many others would.

SDfan Jul 30, 2013 3:11 PM

Anyways...

Quote:

Labor and Business Getting Big Things From Filner
LIAM DILLON
http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/07/2...s-from-filner/

Lost among the noise of sexual harassment allegations facing San Diego Mayor Bob Filner was his July 18 announcement that he was pushing the $500 million Convention Center expansion as a major policy initiative.

Before the scandal broke, Filner had been lukewarm at best on the effort.

His change of heart, and other big efforts in City Hall, could help explain why two mammoth power players in San Diego politics – business and labor – have said barely a peep about Filner’s troubles. Almost three weeks into the scandal, no major business or labor group – save the conservative Lincoln Club of San Diego County – has called on the mayor to resign. Nor has any given Filner its full-throated support.

Both business and labor groups have a vested interest in what happens at City Hall. Often the decisions made affect their members’ bottom lines.

SDfan Jul 30, 2013 3:16 PM

Extortion much?

Quote:

Feds inquire on project Filner halted
In addition to Sunroad, agents have asked about Centrepoint development
Jeff McDonald
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...t-centrepoint/

Federal agents have expanded their investigation into Mayor Bob Filner’s handling of the Sunroad project in Kearny Mesa to include another housing development held up until the applicant made a six-figure payment to the city.

Over the past several days, FBI agents interviewed one attorney from the law firm that represented the Centrepoint apartments in College Area, and requested an interview with a second attorney. Agents have also asked San Diego city officials about the Centrepoint development.

The questions surround an “administrative hold” Filner placed on the apartment complex in March — a mechanism that City Attorney Jan Goldsmith’s office has said lacked any legal basis. The hold allowed the city to extract additional concessions from the developer after the usual process for community input and project approval.

Before work was allowed to proceed, Filner and Councilwoman Marti Emerald touted additional concessions from developer Carmel Partners to make neighbors happy, such as a requirement that apartments be rented by the unit rather than by the bed. Also, the developer agreed to a $150,000 payment to improve a nearby park.